Tim Krul Makes Dutch Debut Today In Brazil

Tim Krul will become a full Dutch International today.

krul2

Tim Krul – gets first full cap for Holland today

Holland will play Brazil in Brazil today, and Newcastle United’s  Krul will start in goal.

The Dutch will play the game in Goiania, but that city will not be part of the World Cup 2014 program, but is expected to be full with 50,000 fans.

Number one goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax – 40 caps) and Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht – 5 caps) are both out injured, and Dutch coach Van Marwijk has decided to go with Newcastle’s 23 year old promising young goalkeeper.

Tim gets the nod over Cillessen ( NEC) and Jelle ten Rouwelaar (NAC), and will play against Brazil, and he played 10 times for the Dutch U21 side.

Holland will line up in a 4:3:3 formation as follows:

Tim Krul; Gregory van der Wiel, John Heitinga, Joris Mathijsen, Erik Pieters; Nigel de Jong, Kevin Strootman Ibrahim Afellay, Dirk Kuyt, Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben.

The 6’2″ goalkeeper played 25 times for Newcastle last season in the Premier League, and looked good deputizing fro Steve Harper, and of course England is the top league in the world at the moment, which seems to have been the deciding factor for coach Van Marwijk, who said this yesterday:

“That was the deciding factor for me. All three goalies are tremendous talents, but I think Tim has a bit more experience in big games.”

And Tim is naturally delighted to be making his debut, and had this to say yesterday:

“What a story eh, to make my debut in and against Brazil,”

“It was so cool to practice sort of under that statue (the famous Chris Statue). And it went well. Man, it can go so fast in football. Suddenly I play a series of games in the EPL and now this. It’s just too good.”

Newcastle signed Tim in the summer of 2005, from ADO Den Haag, his home town club, when he was just 17, and he has been on Tyneside ever since and now talks with a Dutch Geordie accent.

Tim talked about moving to Newcastle and when he made his debut in Palermo for Newcastle back in November, 2006, when he had a stormer:

“I had the chance to go and I did it. I was in love with the EPL. And still. I decided to take it slow. Get adjusted. I made a plan with my parents and we’re on track.”

“We had two sick goalies and I was there. It went very fast and I disappeared again when the goalies were fit again, haha.”

“Edwin van der Saar said: make sure you play. Doesn’t matter on what level. I played for Falkirk in Scotland and later with Carlisle United. Bad pitches, cold showers and only lunch if you paid for it yourself,”

“That’s how I wanted to become a big boy.”  “I have played big name strikers but my biggest thrill was to play Man United against Edwin. He’s so cool. Before and after the game he’d come up to me and support me… I owe a lot to him, you know?”

Tim’s idol is Edwin van der Saar, who has only just retired, after a magnificent career, and he is a great role model for Tim.

Edwin played a massive 819 club games, for Ajax, Juventus, Fulham and Manchester United, and 130 times for his country.

Let’s hope Tim has a good game today, and if he can maintain his place in the Newcastle side next season and keep playing well he could have a long International career ahead of him.

• g.s.tooner

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:33 AM

No further proof needed that he should be our first choice keeper!

• Cockney Magpie

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:37 AM

2nd! my first podium finsh!!!

• The Entertainers

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM

He’s winning the race for NUFC N.o1 spot for me, will watch in interest 🙂

• Cockney Magpie

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM

i cant call it we have 3 quality keepers, shame we cant say the same about strikers

• The Entertainers

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Cockney

Yet 😉 ( here’s to hoping )

• Nufc_mo

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

@Cockney Magpie

We have two Quality Strikers m8…

Poor Quality….

• WWJBD

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM

3rd choice for his country does not make him 1st choice for my club. imo he still has a lot to prove before he knocks Harper off the starting 11

But regardless of that good luck to him…he may need it to keep the brazilians from the score sheet haha

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:49 AM

ANY TRANSFER NEWS

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM

@roshan MAGPIE // Jun 4, 2011 at 9:49 AM

most likely we will know transfer news next week.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Any news on signings

• Dannyo

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I can’t help thinking, if Harps was in goal for us all season, something tells me he’d been in the England setup. Too bad, i hope he gets his shot, he’s really that good.

• Cockney Magpie

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM

WWJBD i jus fear that if he doesnt become our number 1 soon somebody like man united might snap him up as a long term van der sar replacement

• toonfan76

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Hi Guys, does anyone know if we’re close to signing any of our targets? I know Cabaye is supposed to be in the bag, just wondering if Gervinho or even Nzog are close. Cwarr07 has been banging on for ages saying both of them are signed, I want to believe him but not sure if I can. Gervinho should be letting everyone know on Monday, Cwarr07’s day of reconing.

• Marty-Toon

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Would love to see Fraser in a NUFC jersey next season as he has the size and ability to command his area
    but Tim has been playing steadily and when you think of some of the soft goals we gave away they were Collo,Danny and Willo that made them.

• connor_nufc

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM

well done tim u derserve it

• archaeomag

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I think Harper’s distribution is still better, although Krul’s has improved during the season.

• kilcline

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Good news that our team attracts interest from National managers and that players can achieve their international ambitions.

• arfa chance

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Morning lads. Did We find out who was at the Jesmond Dene yesterday?

• WWJBD

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Cockney Magpie
    Haha in fairness I think Fergy has his eyes on higher up the food chain 🙂

I am just going off how I feel when I see his name on the team sheet in a big game…and its very much less confident than when I see Harpers. Of all our keepers he is least experienced but I trust Pardew will pick the best man for the job

• The Entertainers

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Still waiting to find out about the player in the hotel.
    Might give Craig a txt later, if he doesn’t come on blog himself.

• TOON4LIFE_1

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:01 AM

i like krul, those are good words he said. I think, since the club is all about youth, and since the dutch coach sees a lot of potential in tim krul that he should be our first choice keeper next season.

• kilcline

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Why we shouldnt go for this little sh1t

• archaeomag

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Anyone foreign-looking speaking French seen on the rapidly cooling mean streets of Le Toon today?

• Cardboy

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Well done Tim Krul, good luck to you. Greatly improving well worth hanging onto. Should be starting majority of games next season.

• giimps

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Good luck to Tim, hes in some mighty fine company for his first senior call up.
    This may bring him on a little bit more, slowly slowly, catchy monkey.
    As for the transfers, time will tell……..but we need quality as well as numbers.
    Any news on Jose`s contract negotiations though, or Nolans?

• The Entertainers

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Kilcline

Why are some undoubtedly talented players floored in their personalities?
    Cantona
    Maradona
    Ronaldo
    Best
    Romario

If they can be harnest then they are worth the effort, always a big if !

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Van Wolfswinkel joins Sporting for 5.3 mil lads.

• kilcline

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Cant be right at 5.3 mills! Amazing deal

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM

it on sky sports mate.

• kilcline

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I believe you mate, just cant believe how cheap!

• toonfan76

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Guys, do any of you think that Gameiro is gonna have a tough time from the fans if he does come to the toon, Knowing we weren’t his first choice? In fairness to the guy though, he probably wasn’t our first choice for a striker. Don’t think it will effect his performances. If he is an honest player he will work hard for whichever team he plays for. Lets be honest, most of us didn’t get their first choice for things in life!

• RUNAWAY777

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM

one more that got away,at this rate we will be left with the shit.

• kilcline

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM

If sturridge goes to Bolton, even on loan i will pull my hair out.

• CynicalasEva

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hopefully Tim will have a good game (not too good to attract offers though lol) and be No1 next year – sorry Harps but we have to look to the future

• carrollsinger

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

News is Gervinho will decide on Sunday and Liverpool are showing interest in zog Liverpool now have a new scout his name is mr Carr lol

• geoff777

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Krul is getting invaluable experience at the moment.

He’s working with different goalkeeping coaches and watching the other goalies in the Dutch squad.

Forster and Harper are probably on a beach somewhere.

Krul seems to show more potential and is developing faster.

It will me interesting who emerges from pre-season with the shirt.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Krul is good enough for the no-1 keepers spot for me!
    Harper aint getting any younger and will more than likely hang his boots up in a couple more seasons!

Krul will have his work cut out against the Brazilians, hope he does well !

• Crawfordladd17

Jun 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I think he should be number 2 keeper for Holland altogether because the Ajax Keeper is better and will join a top club

• Lee Dodd

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Tim Krul Has Served His Time at Newcastle United For Long Enough Now . Now He is A FULL International Dutch Keeper So Should Be the Number 1 Keeper at Newcastle . Good Luck Today Tim !!!!!!

• gorskino10

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Its just great to see a Young player/keeper who is playing well for a club gets recongnized and given a chance at a National level, will be good our new keeper is a Future NO1 for Holland as he is captain of U21 so its a natural stepup for him, good luck tonight/today Tim.