Arsenal And Manchester City Battle For Gervinho


If a Daily Mail story is correct this morning, then Arsenal and Manchester City are locked in a two way fight to sign Lille’s Ivory Coast International Gervinho.

Gervinho – Arsenal and Man City battling over this lad

Just when we thought Newcastle could pull off a massive coup, by signing the top class winger/striker, it looks like two of the big clubs in England have moved past Newcastle and other clubs interested in the player.

There was potentially great news over the weekend in the French press, that Newcastle would be signing the 24 year-old, but that doesn’t look to be true today, if this story is accurate.

Certainly all day yesterday, there was speculation on many of the Arsenal blogs,  that the London club would be getting the player, although they would need to bid up to £15M to get him.

But that seems a lot of money for player who has just one year left on his Lille contract.

We know that two years ago Gervinho had said a move to Arsenal would be a dream move for him, and even when he was still at Le Mans, Arsenal were said to be interested in the player.

The Mail is reporting that Manchester City have been in for the player for a couple of weeks now, and of course both these top England clubs can offer the player European Champions League football, which he will get at Lille next season,  if he stays in France.

The Mail report says Lille will want around £8M for their player, so just like to supposed fee for our own Jose Enrique seems to vary wildly, Gervinho’s fee is anywhere from £8M to £15M, depending on which reports you believe.

The Mail is even reporting that Newcastle, Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham have all now withdrawn from the battle, because they didn’t meet requirements – presumably because they are not playing in the European Champions League.

This will be a hammer blow to Newcastle fans, as the news over the weekend not only suggested Newcastle were in the lead, but his agent said he was coming to Newcastle (?).

Unfortunately Newcastle cannot compete with the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City these days, and will not be able to do so until Newcastle finish in the top four in the Premier League.

But when that will be, we have no idea.

Newcastle will now need to go after other targets, and whether Lorient’s Kevin Gamerio is still a possibility we don’t know, but the worrying thing about Kevin, is he doesn’t want to come to Newcastle.

Oh well – this is not good news at all if it’s true – but in football as in life – you win some and you lose some.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

81 comments so far

  • mr.T...iote

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

    Comment #1

    1st??? n good next target please

    0
  • toon_dog

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

    Comment #2

    arsene wenger future NUFC manager ……….. conspiracy theory for yas

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #3

    who is he???? ive never heard of him.
    hahahaha………………

    0
  • Danj_008

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

    Comment #4

    Smoke and mirrors.

    0
  • toonfan76

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

    Comment #5

    If there is a press conference on thursday, that has got to be when we find out for sure what is happening, journo’s are trying to sell papers so until an official announcement is made we will keep getting tortured with these conflicting stories. Got to be thursday!

    0
  • BonVoyageBenny

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

    Comment #6

    Of course the big clubs are linked with him. It always happens with us, think about all the players Newcastle AND Liverpool have been linked with. I still hold hope for signing him, would be brilliant if he did.

    0
  • dannyk9

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM

    Comment #7

    thought he was signing for us ??

    0
  • fungus44

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #8

    daily mail crap they just like stiring the s**t for newcastle as we all know

    0
  • Stuart

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #9

    Cant see Man City going in for him, they’ve already got a million attacking players. Surely they need to shift some first just to meet the 25man squad.

    Can’t see Arsenal paying £15m.

    Still feel like he might be ours.

    0
  • toonarmymike

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #10

    look this is from the daily fail. who never get anything right. we just need to wait and see on gervinho. Gameiro after watching him yesterday should be top priority but still think he’l go to psg or a spanish club. £12 mill for n’zogbia is about right but would rather we brought in strikers before we go for him.

    0
  • alex84

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #11

    letting nolan,barton,smith go the club must be confident of landing better,younger players, seems stupid to let them go otherwise

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

    Comment #12

    put it this way
    if hes been holding out for a better offer
    we should of told him to f**k off ages ago.

    0
  • Milzzy Rascal

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

    Comment #13

    It’s paper talk guys. I don’t think I’ve ever known the Daily Mail to be right with anything and they’re the most anti-Newcastle paper around cos Ashley banned them a couple of years back

    0
  • geoff777

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

    Comment #14

    It’s the Daily Mail … come on.

    The only bid confirmed by Lille is from NUFC.

    Can’t see Man City signing him, how many wingers do they need?

    0
  • JAMSHA

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

    Comment #15

    All bullshit, Gervinho wl come to da toon, keep the faith ladz. This is another transfer saga lyk da ben arfa 1.

    0
  • NUFC STEVE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM

    Comment #16

    i yhink he wont go to newcastle but i dont think city want him cos they said theyre going for only 3 top players and gervinho isnt a top player yet.On the other hand arsenal are keeping arshavin so they have v.persie walcott arshavin chamakh nasri , so where would he get in???even if arshavin leaves their front three is Nasri,Persie,walcott and i cantsee gervinho going for 2nd team football

    0
  • RichK

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM

    Comment #17

    Lets all just stop guessing, we should know one way or another by the end of the week, His decision is already made and a deal has already been done and I’m confident that’s with us – when have we ever believed stories written in the papers??99% of them are rubbish. I’m confident that we’ll bring in Cabaye, Gervinho, Gamiero, N’Zogbia and Taylor and if we do that we’ll be in great shape for next season, lets just ignore all the rumours and see how things pan out!

    0
  • Davies

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM

    Comment #18

    Don’t care anymore. If we get him, great, if not, move on.

    0
  • BiffBaffBoff

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

    Comment #19

    So that’s Barton, Nolan, Smith, Enrique all potentially leaving us this summer, 4 of our most instrumental players over the past 2 seasons (Smith more so in the championship), not just on the field but off it. Talk about ripping the spirit from the team…

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

    Comment #20

    let man city have him and we go for adam johnson or jamsie milner both class both proven weve never really replaced milner since he left. im just bleedin sick of all this now at this stage.

    0
  • toonfan76

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM

    Comment #21

    don’t think nolan will leave this summer, his contract obviously wasn’t what he was expecting but that doesn’t mean he will leave. Time is on his side with regards to a new contract, If he goes about his business and keeps scoring then i’m sure an improved contract will be offered, Also after having an op at the end of the season he may regain some of his lost mobility or he may even loose some, he has to prove himself all over again.

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

    Comment #22

    i am nt sure abt man city buying gervinhio and arsenal might buy him if Nasri go to arSENAL since arshavin wants to stay i dont think they will sign gervinhio either so its our chance to sign him bt the news is tat both ashley and lliambis are nt in NUFC and are out for picnic

    0
  • geoff777

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

    Comment #23

    @alex84

    Barton has one year left on his contract.
    Nolan two years.

    So they will both be NUFC players next season.

    Smith has been let go.
    As an ex-club captain and true battler I wish him well.
    Bar some awful injuries he could have been one of the most prolific English strikers ever.
    He certainly had an eye for goal at Leeds.

    Thanks Alan.

    0
  • fungus44

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM

    Comment #24

    see barcelona now in for jose so let the bidding war begin

    0
  • JGreaves

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM

    Comment #25

    Man City ? No chance
    Arsenal ? only if Nasri goes to Man U…

    plus why they saying 15 million if our bid has been accepted at 10 Million ? i think it is anyway

    Just sh*t stirring.. He wont announce till he or the club can anyway

    0
  • Ericles

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #26

    Is this another load of tripe from the Daily Mail? Surely we should all know by now that rag has a down on NUFC and never tells the truth. Trouble is both Arse and All and Manky City can easily outbid Pardew’s efforts to sign Gervinho, not to mention tight-wad Ashley. Sadly I think the transfer market is starting to follow the well worn pattern for us again. Pay the money Mabel and lets get into a Europa Cup place!!

    0
  • Stuart

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #27

    Haha, I love how on this site everyone disregards newspaper news and that if its good news, but if its bad news eg barton, nolan, enrique leaving its obviously true.

    Barton – Probably not going to get a new contract, probably off this summer.

    Nolan – Has two years left on his contract, got offered a new one and rejected it. He’ll be here for at least 1 more season anyway.

    Enrique – Got offered a new deal the other day, around the same time we dropped out of the running for 1st team LB’s and switched to Naylor. Looking more and more likely he will stay.

    Smith – Who the f**k cares haha!

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #28

    MY MISTAKE IF NASRI GO TO MAN U OR ANY OTHER TEAM THEN ARSENAL MIGHT SIGN HIM OTHER THAN TAT THEY WONT NEED GERVINHIO

    0
  • connor_nufc

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

    Comment #29

    Marvin martin nw

    0
  • JAMSHA

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #30

    0rac1e79 Arsenal have been informed that the fee must be paid in full. Gervinho has nor changed mind, it’s delayed till Lille get the replacement.
    3hr ago on twitter

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #31

    @NUFC STEVE nasri is suppose to be going to scumchester united so maybe they see gervinho as a replacement we need to move fast or risk losing out yet again i can just see the headline “yeah newcastle was a good option for me i know all about their passionate fans and what a lovely city it is but once i heard arsenal were interested the pull of champions league football and the chance to work with arsene wenger were to good to turn down” yeah ive seen that one before.

    0
  • magpie6699

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #32

    Why are people saying we’re letting Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Smith go? The only one who I believe has been told he can leave is Smith; we are said to be in negotiations with Jose over a new contract – waiting to see if he decides to take it up; Nolan has TWO years left on his contract and JB may leave or play on – but if he does stay there’s nothing to say he couldn’t be given another contract in due course, although that seems unlikely.
    Funny that the same people moaning now about Smith being allowed to leave are the ones who always list him in the “Please Get Rid” list!

    0
  • NUFC_Richyg01

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:19 AM

    Comment #33

    I see Leicester are now trying to nab Routledge from under the noses of QPR… bidding war!

    Thanks for your service Smudger, good luck at West Ham.

    Did Gervinho’s agent actually mention Newcastle or did he say Premier League Club???

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

    Comment #34

    bet ya smith stays,and sees out his contract.
    i would do the same if i was on 60k a week.lol

    0
  • geoff777

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM

    Comment #35

    @roshanMagpie

    Please stop using capital letters (Shouting).

    Tat = That
    nt = not
    abt = about
    bt = but

    You are writing a comment not sending a txt msg.

    0
  • Stuart

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

    Comment #36

    Hahah geoff! I second that like.

    0
  • NUFC_Richyg01

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM

    Comment #37

    @ geoff777 // Jun 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM

    Good call, it’s well annoying!

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM

    Comment #38

    you get a £10 fine everytime you use capitals……

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:26 AM

    Comment #39

    it help s me type fast geoff777

    0
  • JackButler

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM

    Comment #40

    Lad’s one question?
    When have the daily Mail ever printed a true word?

    0

You must log in to post a comment.