Newcastle Bid For Welsh International Defender


The early news today is that Newcastle have now lodged a formal bid for 22 year-old Welsh defender Neil Taylor.

Neil Taylor – Newcastle have lodged formal bid

And since Newcastle somehow found out he has a £1M release clause in his contract, we assume that Newcastle will be bidding £1M, and his club Swansea will have to accept the offer.

All that would appear to remain is that Newcastle agree compensation with the 22 year-old, who was said to be one of the most improved players in the Championship last season, after moving to Swansea from Wrexham.

Neil can also play on the left side of midfield, and no doubt Newcastle will be hoping he can keep improving in the Premier League, although it’s still a risk to take – but not too big a risk at £1M.

Taylor made 32  appearances last season as Swansea won promotion to the Premier League for the first time on their history, and they are the first Welsh club ever to reach the Premier League.

The news is official because the newly promoted Swansea club have confirmed an offer has been made for their left back, and Swans chairman Huw Jenkins said on the club’s website today:

“We have received a proposal from Newcastle regarding Neil,” “But the proposal has not been accepted or rejected at this stage.”

“We have received a number of enquiries from different clubs for Neil’s services and, like all bids we receive for any of our players, we will be talking it over with him when he returns from a break next week.”

“Neil is a player we brought to the club this season from the Conference with Wrexham with a view to him progressing and developing with us over a number of years.”

“The last thing on our mind was to sell anyone over the summer.”

As we said yesterday, if Swansea didn’t want to lose the player, why did they allow a £1M release clause in his contract?

We have to hope that Newcastle move quickly,  since other clubs will now have been alerted to the release clause, although it looks like Neil is out until next week..

He started his career at Manchester City before moving to Wrexham, his home town club in 2004, and he made 85 appearances over three years for the Welsh side.

Neil improved immensely last season, and helped the Swans get promoted to the Premier League, and they won promotion by beating Reading 4-2 in the play-off final at Wembley. Neil played 32 times for Swansea last season.

It seems that Newcastle have once again found a decent player for a paltry transfer fee, and if he is anything like Mike Williamson, who was also brought in for £1M, he will do well at Newcastle.

Neil has 3 caps for Wales so far, and he could be the first player officially signed by the club this summer, although Lille’s French International midfielder Yohan Cabaye due to be signed later this week.

We also hope Newcastle can sign 24 year-old winger Gervinho from Lille, but there was a lot of news yesterday that linked the Ivory Coast International with Arsenal. 🙁

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

50 comments so far

  • Starnufc

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

    Comment #1

    first and plz sign him just in case jose leaves

    0
  • FarAwayGeordie

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

    Comment #2

    thats still angel rangel not neil taylor lol

    0
  • Nufc_mo

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM

    Comment #3

    3rd

    0
  • mr.T...iote

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM

    Comment #4

    a nar hes highly rated n that but if hes our 1st choice LB next season al be ****ing fuming,, he was in the conference a year ago n if hes the player they expect to take over from enrique it duznt fill me with excitement for the rest of the window

    0
  • Starnufc

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

    Comment #5

    yeah but hopefully he is just a nice young kid who plays cups and practice who improves is what im thinking plus i dont think jose will leave yet i think he wants to go to spain like valen or barca or real

    0
  • Indian Magpie

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM

    Comment #6

    For all those still flying after yesterday, read this will bring all of you back to ground.

    http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/06/07/magpies-quoted-12m-for-charles-n-zogbia-61634-28832238/

    0
  • WWJBD

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:29 AM

    Comment #7

    I think he will be cover in all honesty.though he might stake his claim in the starting line up much like Williamson has done

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM

    Comment #9

    I DONT THINK WE WILL SIGN GERVINHIO CAUSE IF THE CLUB WANTED TO SIGN HIM THEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OVER NOW BT ITS TAKING TOO MUCH TIME

    0
  • WWJBD

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM

    Comment #10

    NO NEED TO SHOUT 🙂

    0
  • Starnufc

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM

    Comment #11

    I would shout too if i thought we had a chance!!! but it always seems like this happens big name beginning of transfer window and then all the bigger names of england take our tops name off the board we just need to start kicking their azz like arsenal

    0
  • Toony Montana

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #12

    SSN says Nolan has rejected 2 year contract and Smith free to leave (Yay!)

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM

    Comment #13

    Spot on WWJBD 😉

    Roshan… we’ve not even unveiled “dead cert” Cabaye yet. So have some patience will you? There’s been 1 signing in the Prem so far. No one’s rushing, because everyone’s still on their holidays, or, in the case of Cabaye and Gervinho, have been on International Duty for the past week.

    This move for Taylor suggests to me that there’s been a breakthrough in the Enrique contract talks. We need cover for LB desperately, Taylor is the type of player that will be happy to come in and sit tight, waiting for a chance.

    Anyway, in your eyes, is Enrique staying here? To quote “CAUSE IF THE (another) CLUB WANTED TO SIGN HIM THEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OVER NOW BT ITS TAKING TOO MUCH TIME”. Non?

    0
  • geoff777

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

    Comment #14

    @RoshanMagpie

    No idea whether he’ll sign, but the French league finished later than ours and he’s been away on international duty.

    Patience.

    Naylor sounds like perfect cover.
    We’ve been saying for a couple of seasons that we need cover at LB.
    Get him signed up.

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:40 AM

    Comment #15

    @starnufc – firstly, wtf? Can we at least string some meaningful sentences together?

    Secondly, chill the f*ck out. We’re apparently signing Cabaye, Gervinho isn’t a non-starter yet, the window’s just opened… have some f*cking patience, the lot of ya!!!

    0
  • Davies

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM

    Comment #16

    If Man City are involved now, I just don’t see us getting Gervinho, even though he did say that he had already made his decision.

    I don’t think we were ever going to get Gameiro; he just doesn’t seem interested in playing for us.

    Regarding Zog, there is, apparently, bad blood between Wheelan and Ashley, so that was never going to be easy. It seems a little banal to say that they’ll charge more from a non champions league team; do they really think N’Zogbia will go to one of the top four and not play against then next season? Really?

    Personally, I’m not that bothered if we don’t get him, because he was a tw@ last time he was here, and the famous team spirit will already be in the balance by the end of the transfer window.

    Let’s hope Graham Carr has some little gems lined up.

    0
  • BonVoyageBenny

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM

    Comment #17

    Don’t forget that the transfer window doesn’t “officially” open until July 1st. At the moment all we’re doing is making bids and negotiating contracts. Players will be waiting until then to see who comes in, and then they’ll make their decision.

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:45 AM

    Comment #18

    everyone in a mood here today- as for taylor yeah sounds more like an ashley signing than gervinho or gameiro.

    0
  • davybtoon

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

    Comment #19

    players will sign man chill out, firstly whats the rush n second deals r in place
    n if we lose any players well then ashly n lambias shud of learned there lesson from modric that nothings done till they sign, n if they aint were fecked

    0
  • BonVoyageBenny

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

    Comment #20

    I hope we do get Neil Taylor in anyway, provides good cover for whoever our number 1 left back is. Plus, means I can just get “Taylor” on the back of my shirt, with no number, and I can say it’s one of three…

    0
  • WWJBD

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM

    Comment #21

    We could have 3 taylors on the bench next season….that will be fun for commentators

    0
  • Kris

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:50 AM

    Comment #22

    1. Never heard about this lad, dont know if he is good or not.

    2. We cant replace him anyway with Enrique, not that worldclass standard anyway.

    3. We already have Shane Ferguson, and this lad play in both Shane´s positions (LB and LM). We have to work with Ferguson, he has the potential to be quite good in the Premiership.

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

    Comment #23

    yeah well have saylor raylor and naylor!

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM

    Comment #24

    arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    i went to work there for a hour,rained off ffs,
    another day of stalkin gervinho then…………
    haha
    somebody hit me,with the lastest news?????????

    0
  • mr.T...iote

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:52 AM

    Comment #25

    tbh a hope we have pulled out of the running for gervinho n hopeful we pull out for gameiro n look to other players,, gameiro duznt wanna cum here n gervinho duznt either,, hopefuly our next target is menez but id be thrilled with lens or sum1 lol

    0
  • jamesnufc86

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM

    Comment #26

    Smith has been allowed to leave its official!! I feel all warm and tearful

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

    Comment #27

    This guy will probably be a good squad player. I don’t want N’Zogbia back knowing his disgusting attitude and especially at that ridiculous price. Go for Marvin Martin, Gervinho or Boudebouz instead of that fool.

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

    Comment #28

    i think hes back up left back, and fergie is jonas backup dont forget benny can play there aswell this news about nolan rejecting new contract offer is worrying lads.

    0
  • mr.T...iote

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

    Comment #29

    yey great news smiths going, bartons going, nolans going, enriques going ,, YEY LETS BE HAPPY THE SOUL IS BEING RIPPED OUT THE CLUB YEEEEEYYYY ffs

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM

    Comment #30

    boom boom.
    has he rejected another offer???
    or is it the same stuff from the other day??

    0
  • Tino99

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM

    Comment #31

    Guarantee that Gervinho wont join us. I hate m.city more than anyone – scumbags.

    I am hoping that we dont end up with players similar to this guy. I know he did well in the championship and he is young etc but if we lose nolan and enrique and barton i think we may be heading back down to the championship

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

    Comment #32

    we wont sign nzog we are stacked up on the left now we need right sided players. jonas enrique fergusson naylor and ben arfa can play there so i think right side and ctr forward and 1 more ctr back upson would be a good choice.

    0
  • fungus44

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM

    Comment #33

    nolan rejected offer of 2 year deal on sky sport,s s0 do we believe it or not me i will wait till on official site let smith go gevieno will come tote and ben afra will try to make him come to us

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #34

    I THINK ENRIQUE WONT GO

    0
  • Tino99

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #35

    Upson is so average – we have all this money now lets get some good players that are going to get us back into europe. upson is like smith average as you like

    0
  • JP...from The Rock

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

    Comment #36

    Yup we need our Captain, our leader, our experienced head on the pitch. Not only that but he knows when and where to be at the right time and you just can’t teach that, 12 goals his personal best. We need him but I think he should play from the bench next season as we have better options in his place at the moment. I would not think of selling him though, just let him wind down his contract if he doesn’t accept the new one, he still has 3 years left.

    0
  • jamesnufc86

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

    Comment #37

    Mr. Tiote please dont include Smith as anything to do with the soul of Newcastle, he is on 50-60 k a week , this is fantastic news he’s going , free up heaps of cash for wages

    0
  • belfast

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

    Comment #38

    it looks like ashleys trying to get rid off the senior players,in the squad.
    teams without leaders,senior players etc
    win f**k all
    just look at arsenal.

    0
  • Tino99

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

    Comment #39

    The smith news is the greatest news I have heard of years. such a bad buy its unbelievable. I cant believe he ever played for man utd

    0
  • djm...

    Jun 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM

    Comment #40

    Lads I know it’s hard but can we not just be patient and sit this out for internationals to finish before we get exited one way or another. I know mike has done some atupid things but I really can’t believe he would want his own asset to flutter on the verges of realagation, especially with 35m burning a hole in the clubs pocket.

    Also to add fuel to the fire… Cwarr/the other guy reported this and Nolan/Barton not signing before there was a peep on skysports 🙂

    0

You must log in to post a comment.