The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Charles N’Zogbia’s Boss May Join Aston Villa

10:04 am, Thursday, June 9th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 67 Comments

Surprising developments yesterday when American owner Randy Lerner interviewed a number of candidates for the vacant Aston Villa job.

N’Zogbia and Wigan manager Roberto Martinez

Two top candidates – former England manager Steve McClaren and former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez,  seemed to have been interviewed and then passed over, as the news this morning is that Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is flying back from his vacation to speak further with Lerner.

While it’s not yet official, Roberto would hardly interrupt his vacation, unless a deal was almost been agreed with Aston Villa and his signing could even be coming today.

It seems that Lerner bowed to pressure from Villa fans not to sign Steve McClaren, and we have a good idea why the conversation with Rafa wouldn’t have lasted too long.

The former Liverpool boss would most likely have asked for huge transfer money to be made available, as his very first question.

Gerard Houllier ended his time at the club by mutual agreement after another heart scare, and it’s difficult to see how Gerard can return to football management, and for the sake of his health he shouldn’t.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said last night:

“Villa have acted above board. They wrote to me asking for permission to speak to Roberto.

“He was on holiday at the time and I granted Villa permission. I presume he’s spoken to Villa now.”

“I would still be surprised if he is their new manager. I’ve made it clear to him I’ll be extending his contract.”

“I’ve never let him down on anything and he’s never let me down. But you can never say never.”

Roberto Martinez is an excellent manager and has done very well at Wigan, and just think what he could do with some very good players at Aston Villa.

This is an opportunity Roberto can hardly turn down, and he seems an excellent manager who knows the game very well, and seems a really good guy too.

This will be difficult for Wigan Athletic and even more reason for Charles N’Zogbia to leave the club in the summer, and hopefully arrive back at Newcastle for a decent fee.

Charles can do a job at Newcastle in the next few seasons, and the news is that he’s more than willing to come back.

And maybe Chris Hughton would be a candidate for the Wigan job, and that’s of course if he doesn’t land the Cardiff City manager job next week.

What do you think?

Tags: Charles N'Zogbia · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

67 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieRob // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Off topic,

Lazio signed Klose on 2 year deal. SSN

• 2 GeordieRob // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM

And 1st…

• 3 mr.T...iote // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

looks like gameiro may still be going to villareal then lol

• 4 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:10 AM

GeordieRob its not great news for our transfer ambitions??

• 5 GeordieRob // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Well you could look at it negatively…

I prefer to think that Valencia can’t afford to pay for players even when they’re free. :)

• 6 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Depends on how you look at it.

Gamiero has never been too keen to join is by all accounts. Let him get his move to spain and we’ll sign Sturridge instead =D

• 7 roshan MAGPIE // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

hope we sign gervinhio and cabaye

• 8 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

GeordieRob yeah. but do you really want players who would prefer to play for other clubs??

• 9 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Mr T
    Gamerio has NEVER been goignt to Villareal!!!

• 10 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I reckon we may sign Cabaye
    Charlie Nzog
    Then Demba Ba
    Then Taylor

and maybe a couple of freebees….
    Net outlay 16m quids

I waqs totally wrong just after we sold Carroll, i sadi we would spend only 15m

oooopsie.

PS I hope Jabba proves me sooooo wrong…….doubt it though!!

However, 100% sure, if this is what happens, the Ashley apologists will still have theyre heads right up his ample crevice…..thats if they can get them passed lamearse and beardo’s of course!!

• 11 GeordieRob // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Gameiro wanted to go to Valencia during January and when that fell through he just kept on bagging goals for Lorient…

So, do I want to sign a player that would prefer to play for another club that scores anyway… Pfft, as long as he’s scoring, I don’t care.

• 12 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Stuart
    For you being a member of the Warris Cult, surely you must KNOW that sturridge is not even on the list of targets???

• 13 mr.T...iote // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:21 AM

angryman he wants to tho doesn’t he

• 14 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

@Angry

Thats until Ashley screws up again….

• 15 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

IN:
    Jonathan Soriano
    Shaqiri (If gervinho doesnt join us)
    Cabaye
    M’bengue (If Enrique leaves)
    Anyone else is just find with me…

Keep:
    Barton
    Nolan (maybe)

Out:
    Smith
    Nolan (If an offer of 8mill + comes in only )
    Airey (On Loan)

• 16 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Anyone else is just fine with me*
    Except he who shall not be named!

• 17 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Angryman

If we don’t spend big this summer, or even if we don’t get quality players (doesnt always matter how much they cost) I’ll be firmly in the Death to Mike Ashley Brigade.

Me and you have argued a ton of times and you know how I feel about the management, wouldnt call myself an apologist like, but yeah, this would be the last straw.

I just don’t see it happening though…eternal optimist =D

• 18 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Woah Woah WOAH, I am NOT a member of the cwarr Cultists!

I dont believe a thing thats written on twitter.

Plus I never said we were after Sturridge, just that i wanted him.

• 19 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:24 AM

GeordieRob yeah good point. fingers crossed we can get the lad.

• 20 connor_nufc // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

just nzgobia and I wud be happy

• 21 mr.T...iote // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:27 AM

tbh angryman if we got those in with mayb long wud you be dissapointd

• 22 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:29 AM

connor_nufc yeah we need a few more than just charlie mate.

• 23 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Mr T
    Nope and Yes

Nope, he wanted to go to Valencia
    And yes I would be VERY dissappointed.
    Our outgoings generate ALOT more cash than our incomings, and the state of the clubs debt doesnt get any better………why???

• 24 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM

We need more than a 16m investment to take this club where it belongs….
    we need the 35m to buy players, 35 mill woth of players..especially if we lose Barton Nolan and enrique!!

Shane Long will NOT make it in the EPL.
    He’s had 1 good season in the Championship…he is now 24 years old, and if you speak to reading fans he has always been the ‘he’s the next big thing’ sinc his teens.

Ameobi has always been the ‘new alan shearer’

We need proven players to take the club forward, unproven players to maintain our premiership status………

I will NEVER be happy with just surviving!!

• 25 connor_nufc // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

sialexrock1 yea but I just hope we dont fill our squad with championship players

• 26 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM

off the subject.
    danny simpson is off twitter. why danny?? read the sun.

• 27 Angryman the Angry fan // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Warris nis a gem aint he!!

• 28 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Once Newcastle finally give up on Gameiro, and if Sturridge is out of the question, and Enrique is off to Barca, I reckon Newcastle should Get Soriano in a player + cash swap deal

enrique for 6mill + Soriano.

32 goals in 37 games last season for Barca B team.

• 29 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

My bad

32 goals in 36 appearences last season
    Career total of 72 appearences 54 goals

25 years old only.

• 30 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

We were apparantly interested in Soriano last month.

• 31 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Thats a class goals to games ratio but do you really want our 1st choice striker to be someone who isnt even playing top level football? Basically a glorified reserve.

• 32 sialexrock1 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM

connor_nufc yeah know what ya saying mate. its like bidding for LB steven taylor might be a good deal. but is he the same class as perch?? lets hope not.

• 33 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Imo he would be at the very least the same Level as Shlong, if not better.

Yes he is in the reserve team… But its Barcelona… Their B team would give our first team a good game.

• 34 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Now that i think of it, I really wanna see their B team play an EPL team!

• 35 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM

If v dont get gervinho, I cnt c us sighng any quality other dan, zog an cabaye

• 36 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

If v dont get gervinho, I cnt c us sighng any quality other dan, zog an cabaye.

• 37 archaeomag // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

@ Angry
    I’m with you
    I think would not be surprised if we almost ‘break-even’ this transfer window, sell a few, buy a few spend, net spend 10-12 mill.
    Just like SportsDirect, buy cheep and sell expensive – everything is for sale, including the Club!

• 38 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Why Jamsha?

Of all the thousands of players in the world Gervinho is the only quality winger?

We’ve had scouts looking all over europe all season. Graham Carr probably has quite an extensive list of quality players. Gervinho is obviously just top of that list.

• 39 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM

@Jamsha

Just because the club doesnt get a “big” name doesnt mean we wont get quality…apart from Cabaye.

• 40 cheikmate // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:46 AM

slow news today, is there gona be a news conference at newcastle today ? heard ppl saying it thru the week

• 41 ITUNDERASHELL // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Is there a press conference at St James’s and if so, what time is it due?

• 42 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

@Stuart

Not neccasarily :P He could have been 3rd choice for all we know… The top two could have just been overpriced and the press havent gotten wind of it :P

We only found out about cabaye after their manager told us… if it wasnt for him, we probably wouldnt even have imagined he would join us :P

• 43 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM

More likely to be tomorrow cheikmate.

Apparently Cabaye is being announced tomorrow.

• 44 connor_nufc // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:48 AM

no press conference today.

Is gervinho gona b long , he taking the piss nw

• 45 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Haha fine Mo.

But you see my point right? We can’t write off a whole transfer window on the back of one players decision lol.

• 46 cheikmate // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

looking forward to that, wonder what shirt number he wil hav

• 47 fungus44 // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

how can you say shane long will be no good in the prem ,A C was the same as him in fizzy pop and then did the same in the prem ,so give the lad a chance to prove he can

• 48 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

@Stuart and nufc_mo, I know there are more quality players around, but I dnt see us signg them, M.A wont spend I hav a feeling, if he spends 35m on players then thats good.

• 49 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

@Stuart

Yeah

@Jamsha
    You never know

• 50 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM

But Jamsha, why do you think he’s prepared to spend big on Gervinho but he wouldnt if it was someone else?

• 51 Oba // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I thought CWarr said we had Gervinho in the bag about a month ago? Guy knows nothing.

Liking the guy who placed Shaqiri in potential ins – he’d be a great signing.

• 52 ITUNDERASHELL // Jun 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM

How far down the road do you think we are in Ashley’s alleged plan to build an Arsenal in the North?

• 53 JUGGALO TOON ™ // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

@Oba
    We’re still winning the race for Gervinho so don’t judge till you find out the result, I don’t know why you all hate!

• 54 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

:P Shaqiri is class.

• 55 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

09 Jun 2011 10:20:32
    If Kevin Nolan leaves Newcastle, Alan Pardew will move for Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam as he think he will be a great replacement.

Taken from newcastlerumours so take it with a massive pinch of salt but I wouldnt be disappointed with that like.

• 56 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Stuart@ FAT MA will spend big money only on 1 player an rest will b cheap one’s , but hope m wrong. :-), its so fkn sick ma frndz laugh at me wen I told them gervinho will come to newcastle. Most of ma frndz r ars n fool supporters. So hope v spend big on few players

• 57 Nufc_mo // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM

@jamsha

You can laugh at them… Cesc is leaving :P

• 58 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

@ JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Can you translate to english rather than text speak please!

• 59 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Also my frnd who is a liverfool fan has said they r gona sign adams an he said they are offerng ngog + cash for gervinho.

• 60 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I dunno about that Jamsha, we’re supposed to be after gervinho and Zoggy, theres around £25m already.

I still think we’re in the lead for gervinho like, just wish he would hurry up and say who hes going to.

• 61 Stuart // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

N’gog is going to sunderland as part of the henderson deal i think.

• 62 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

@Nufc_mo, Yea I told my friend thats fabrigas is leav arse, he said never mind, benzima will be comeing lol, are they reali linked with benzima?

• 63 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Hope gervinho signs up I showed my frnds da photoshoped pic of gervinho in newcastle kit. Most of them belived it :-)

• 64 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Man Utd set to accept a £12m bid from Sunderland for trio John O’Shea, Darron Gibson and Wes Brown. TELEGRAPH
    12m for all 3 players?

• 65 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Gibson and O’Shea are decent players, not so keen on Wes Brown like.

Rumour has it its £8M each for O’Shea & Gibson, but then Manure are giving Sunderland £4M back to take Brown too.

• 66 JAMSHA // Jun 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM

We should have gone for gibson ,very good player

• 67 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jun 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I dont think man u will let gibson go with that ginger to55er leavin! we need to buy sleepless in newcastle now b4 villa get him and sturridge shud b top of the list give him 9 he will b great for us i reckon long will b good alongside him

previous post: Why Would Newcastle Want To Sell Kevin Nolan?

next post: Newcastle Get Good Press In Latest Deloitte Report