Only Tottenham Have Formally Bid For Gervinho?


It is getting quite confusing about Lille’s Gervinho, and what the real situation is with the Ivory Coast International.

Gervinho – Tottenham only English club to formally bid?

TalkSport  had reported earlier today that the player was going to Arsenal, and this seemed to be consistent with the news earlier in the week that Wenger was after the player, and that he was keen to join the London club.

But would you believe that Lille’s Director of Football has said today that neither English clubs – Arsenal or Newcastle  – had made an official offer for the player.

Frederic Pagquet has told the French media today that he only club that has bid for Gervinho is Tottenham, and that’s the only official offer they have received and that was today – and they turned it down.

This is what Frederic told the French Press today:

“Today we recieved a concrete offer from Tottenham, which we have refused in the last few hours.”

“In fact, that is the only official contact we have received”

So we’re not too sure what to make of this – but it does mean that of all the news published each day on the transfer front – maybe 90% of it could be made up – and it’s very hard to know what’s true and what isn’t – but what’s new?

It could even be good news for Newcastle if they still really want this player, since it seems obvious that Lorient’s Kevin Gameiro doesn’t want to play in England.

But this news also doesn’t quite jibe with what Gervinho himself has been saying – that he would make his decision late this week or early next week, and he has already said he would like to play in the Premier League.

We’re not too sure what else to make of this news.

Anyway, that’s what being reported in the French press today – go figure.

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

272 comments so far

  • pizzicatochan

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM

    Comment #1

    All but spectulations only. Do you still trust this lad?

    0
  • pizzicatochan

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:03 PM

    Comment #2

    I mean Gervinho.

    0
  • Toonboy_83

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM

    Comment #3

    Gervinho will come to Newcastle, I had a vision.

    0
  • Anton

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM

    Comment #4

    Toon bid mite go in soon we will c wot happens sick of this made up crap

    0
  • roshan MAGPIE

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM

    Comment #5

    rather have nzobia than gervinhio

    0
  • ilovetoon8788

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:10 PM

    Comment #6

    its their way of winding things up and getting the best deal for gervinho.. most clubs including us i believe could have just made verbal agreement. but spurs are the only 1 to have tabled a formal offer. hes just wants clubs to up the ante for gervinho.

    but most likely gervinho is heading to european football with arsenal or city.

    0
  • ilovetoon8788

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

    Comment #7

    but this article proves 1 thing. toonruz and his twitter idols and his so called alan thompson mate or wtv are all crap.

    0
  • milburn 77

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

    Comment #8

    Getting boring now

    0
  • Anton

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:12 PM

    Comment #9

    Aye we know wot zog can do in pl we need to get sturridge give him no 9 aswell hell b class for us he will get the service with ben arfa next to him

    0
  • dave 1961

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM

    Comment #10

    We don’t no what context these couple of lines were taken from, as I am sure Lillie told us how much the y had excepted, because I read a French article and it was reporting that arsenal had offered £8m over 5 years, and they refused the offer, as they had a cash offer on him that they excepted, it could be trying to start a bidding war?

    0
  • Lee Dodd

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:15 PM

    Comment #11

    I Think Its Time to Either Put a Bid for £10 Million in and then Say Ta Da !!!!!!! as this sis Getting Silly Now !!!!

    0
  • hainesy

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM

    Comment #12

    Heard the latest Cwarr shit?

    0
  • magpie6699

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM

    Comment #13

    I’m sure the other day someone said they’d been chatting to Peter Beardsley or something and he’d said the club weren’t after Gervinho – but they had been interested in Gameiro.

    0
  • arfa chance

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM

    Comment #14

    If We are building a team around HBA then another French speaker like cabaye is ideal. Welcome aboard

    0
  • nick_9

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:23 PM

    Comment #15

    I’d offer wigan 9 million plus routledge or raylor for nzogbia. If we had another good winger to compliment Ferguson/Jonas then we may have a bit more balance to the team. Hopefully we still have 30 million remaining to spend before any outgoings. 30 million could buy us two\three quality players and two /three bargains or risky buys like naylor. If Jose is to leave I hope he goes to a champions league side then I will wish the lad all the best. If we can get enough for his replacement and naylor then great. As for strikers I reckon demba ba and Shaun long would outscore our current lot that’s if we cannot pull off signings a better striker. If DJ Campbell wasn’t so old he would be worth a punt in my open, as would odemwingie but he is also getting on a bit.

    0
  • mr.T...iote

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:25 PM

    Comment #16

    hainsy wats e sed now, gervinho deal fell thru because he duznt like broon ale

    0
  • ..SwedishMagpie..

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM

    Comment #17

    roshan MAGPIE // Jun 10, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    rather have nzobia than gervinhio.

    seriously ?? gervinho is much better i think and he would cost 10 mill and n’zogbia 12 mill (still want n’zogbia)

    0
  • Graeme

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM

    Comment #18

    Much more likely is that the whole scene is smoke and mirrors from FCB. You can just picture the day after the window closes – “Sorry fans, we tried to get Sooooo Mannyy FANTASTIC players to improve squad and make fans HAPPY!!!”

    Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the players we wanted at a price we were prepared to pay. Still, we have brought in a great mid field star, a LB who played Conference footy only 18 months ago who will increase in value, given the chance and to balance the books, we only sold Barton, Nolan & Enrique.

    We promise that the money made in this window, just like the last 7 windows, will be made available to the Manager to watch us spend it how we want.

    Toon fans, you’re mugs and we are taking you for every penny we can screw you for –
    lots of love Mike Ashley

    0
  • nufc90

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM

    Comment #19

    graeme it’s june 10th.. we’ve signed a class midfielder. what more do you want? give it till sept 1st ffs

    0
  • carlton nufc

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:30 PM

    Comment #20

    What’s cwarr saying oh and what’s happend to the menez rumours I would prefer him to gerv him on right zoggy on left cab tio in middle ben arfa withdrawn striker sturridge oh orgasms

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM

    Comment #21

    @graeme… can he do no right whatsoever?

    You can’t make players come here. You can only go after them and hope that (given we have no European football in the bag), that they buy into our club over those who have European football. Gervinho isn’t even messing people about… it’s JUNE 10th!

    Cabaye is a great signing. We don’t really know the full story with all the contract situations. Taylor would be great cover – Ferguson is no LB, he has more talent going forward.

    I feel like I have to use this phrase more and more… but…

    GET A GRIP MAN, YOU’RE EMBARRASSING.

    0
  • hainesy

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM

    Comment #22

    He said Pardew met a target today for talks #fingerscrossed #nufc

    0
  • carlton nufc

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Comment #23

    Haha yh it was larsson

    0
  • Mancgeordie

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Comment #24

    cabaye is going to be class signing can’t wait to see him playing next season alonside tiote, i don’t believe that spurs are the only team to bid for gervinho there has been to much press for there to be just that 1 bid maybe its the only formal bid but i bet there has been informal discussions with other clubs hope we get n’zogbia back he is starting to look a real class act cmon pards n ash get some outlets to see cabaye passing abilty

    0
  • magpie6699

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM

    Comment #25

    supervil – agreed. Looks like a great bit of business today – highly rated young French international, should help him settle quicker having HBA and Tiote here, good signal to other French- speakers – and what do we get? “Mark my words, Ashley’s gonna sell all the rest of the team and we’re gonna buy crap so he can spend the AC money in the casino blah blah”. Pathetic! Let’s wait and see. My recollection is that Pards said we have a number of irons in the fire, that we’re close to signing an international player but the others will be later on. It’s taken a couple of weeks to reach the transfer window and sort out Cabaye – so presumably the others will be taking even longer. And I’m not believing everything that is said – but why should I believe Pardew LESS than all the hacks on the newspapers who we know print made-up rubbish, or all the Tweetiepies who claim to be in the know?

    0
  • Graeme

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM

    Comment #26

    Hey, I didn’t come out in the press and tell the world we had made bids for x,y,z – that was NUFC!!

    I didn’t say we had made a substantial bid for Gervinho, Cabaye, Gameiro – that was NUFC in the form of Pardwho.

    Now the Director of Football, at Lille – Gervinho’s boss – says only ONE FORMAL OFFER has been received, today, from Spuds – So what happened to the bid we made that Pardwho advised us all about??

    Oh, it didnt happen?? The Director of Football has developed amnesia?? Or maybe Toon lied to us all, yet again – now wouldn’t that be a shock eh??

    0
  • fergie

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM

    Comment #27

    Is Ashley taking the club in the right direction? We should know by the 31st August:

    http://toonbarmy.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/august-31st-doomsday-for-the-toon-army/

    0
  • GeordieDan

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM

    Comment #28

    Only thing this proves is TalkSport is a complete joke! But what’s new there?

    Gutter press on the radiowaves. Pathetic.

    It really pi55es me off.

    Does a applicant journalist’s interview in this country really go like this:

    (Interviewer) “Can you talk utter bollox week in week out and just make up sh@t whenever ever you can’t be arsed to actually DO YOUR EFFING JOB?

    Wanabee Journo :”Not problem”

    (Interviewer) ” You’re hired!!!!”

    No wonder Gray and Keys fitted straights into the ‘family’ eh !

    0
  • ToonST

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:50 PM

    Comment #29

    This is the main reason why I do not like journalists…I just totally confused now

    0
  • nufc90

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM

    Comment #30

    graeme get your facts straight pal… pardew hasn’t mentioned any of them names. in fact i don’t think he’s listed anyone he’s bidding for this summe;r?

    0
  • craigyboy24

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:52 PM

    Comment #31

    Looks like his agent only said he’s coming to us to increase offers and that, but you never know love to see him sign 🙂

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM

    Comment #32

    Forget Ed, forget Cwarr07, forget Mystic Magpie et al…

    Didn’t Pardew say that we’d agreed one deal and we should expect an International midfielder through the door WEEKS ago???

    I expect people will stay play the Carroll card and say that he bullsh!ts all the time though…

    0
  • cousto

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:53 PM

    Comment #33

    nail on head superevil

    these doom mongers and anti ashley brigade members need to get back their happy pills.

    I’d prefer if our transfers weren’t being speculated in the news and the players just arrived, stops all this back biting and so called sources getting our hopes up.

    The HBA affair last year just proved how clued up the press and rumour mongers really are, talkSHITE and Co discredited the photo of HBA at newcastle airport, next day the lad’s agent came out and said he would be playing for Newcastle.

    0
  • magpie6699

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM

    Comment #34

    Graeme – remind me exactly when the club or manager claimed to have submitted a bid for Gervinho and thus “lied to us all, yet again”. You may be right but I can’t actually recall any Toon spokesman of note actually saying anything about Gervinho – can anyone else remind me? Or was it all from the papers and twits?

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM

    Comment #35

    And I mean Cabaye is that international midfielder…

    When did Pardew say he’d bid for Gamiero or Gervinho???? Source?

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:56 PM

    Comment #36

    I think the whole point is read the twitter rumours, by all means, but since we went down to the Championship, all our signings have been low-key and kept under wraps.

    Don’t believe the hype. That includes Nolan, Barton and Enrique too…

    0
  • AndyMac

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

    Comment #37

    supervil says:

    You can’t make players come here. You can only go after them and hope that (given we have no European football in the bag), that they buy into our club over those who have European football. Gervinho isn’t even messing people about… it’s JUNE 10th!

    Cabaye is a great signing. We don’t really know the full story with all the contract situations. Taylor would be great cover – Ferguson is no LB, he has more talent going forward.

    I feel like I have to use this phrase more and more… but…

    GET A GRIP MAN, YOU’RE EMBARRASSING.”

    Maybe its you who are the embarrassing one supervil ?

    Cabaye was brought in as an afterthought because of the situation with Barton and Nolan. He wasnt a long term tracked target, he just happened to come along at the time when we were looking at other unattainable players.

    Gameiro and Gervinho, if European football is a requirement for them, should have been ruled out from Day 1 (if they were ever a target ?).

    Scouting for realistic targets who are prepared to join the club is all very well. Scouting for players who are never likely to join, but make headlines in the media, is an entirely different proposition.

    Maybe you should think before you claim others are an embarrassment.

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

    Comment #38

    i cant stand this gervinho fella i hope we dont get him now cause im sick to death of it all now.

    0
  • supervil

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM

    Comment #39

    @cousto –

    “The HBA affair last year just proved how clued up the press and rumour mongers really are, talkSHITE and Co discredited the photo of HBA at newcastle airport, next day the lad’s agent came out and said he would be playing for Newcastle.”

    Great point. See the Gervinho shite they posted today too. Only believe things when you see them in Black & White.

    0
  • boom boom cheick cheick the room

    Jun 10, 2011 at 8:59 PM

    Comment #40

    @ supervil yeah tiote and cabaye were quite wernt they? stupid statement.

    0
1 2 3 7

You must log in to post a comment.