There’s some good stories in the local Sunday Sun today on the transfer front, and one of them says Newcastle are to make a mega offer for a top International striker, after losing out on Kevin Gameiro.
Mario Gomez – are Newcastle after this striker?
It turns out that Kevin is staying in France and agreed terms with PSG yesterday, but that probably says something of his ambition to be satisfied to play in the French League. – but of course that’s his choice and his right.
The news is that Newcastle will now move for a top International striker, who has a top record in one of Europe’s Leagues, and of course the big question is – who could that be?
The striker is not Demba Ba or Ivory Coast winger/striker Gervinho – although the Sunday Sun is reporting they are still interested in both players – but from all the news we would have seen last week, we would have thought we have no chance on Gervinho.
But there is news today that new signing Yohan Cabaye is pleading with his former team -mate to join him at Newcastle.
We are starting to warm to Yohan – he seems a great guy and already seems fully committed to the Magpies.
One striker that comes to mind immediately is Bayern Munich’s Mario Gomez, who Newcastle have been interested in for more than a couple of years now – and he certainly fits the description.
In 289 club games the 6’3″ German striker has scored a massive 162 goals, and he also has 19 goals for Germany in 46 appearances.
But with Newcastle losing out on Gameiro and maybe Gervinho, the club have cash burning a hole in their pocket, and we have to hope they will be bringing in at least two top players this summer for big transfer fees.
The fee needed for the striker is said to be in 8 figures, so that’s £10M or more, and as might have been expected, other clubs are also interested.
Who do you think this striker could be ?
Comments always welcome.