Kevin Nolan Joins West Ham – They Wanted Me

Kevin Nolan, now the former Newcastle captain, has formally completed his surprise move to relegated West Ham.

Kevin Nolan – I joined West Ham because they wanted me

The 28-year-old midfielder left Newcastle for around £4.5M, and agreed a five-year deal for around £55K/week at Upton Park – something Newcastle were unwilling to offer the player.

Nolan will also, not surprisingly, become the new West Ham captain.

This is a huge coup for both Sam Allardyce and West Ham United, that a second division side could pay the wages Newcastle were not willing to offer Kevin Nolan, to keep him on Tyneside

And Nolan talked to the West Ham web-site this afternoon, and said that the move came out of the blue:

“It’s been a bit of a whirlwind, but obviously once I knew they wanted me, they have shown a certain hunger and desire to make sure I become a West Ham player,”

“Having the chance to link up with Sam again is a massive thing and obviously coming to such a massive club is great for me.”

“I’m very sad to leave Newcastle but I’m coming to another massive club in my eyes, and hopefully I can be as successful as I was there.”

“I’ve come to West Ham because of the tradition of the club and everything about it. I’ve always enjoyed playing here and there was also the chance of linking up with Sam and working with him again.”

Newcastle could not reach agreement with their captain, and the news in the local Newcastle newspapers is that they offered him a three year deal for about £50K/week with some incentives, if Newcastle  finished in the top ten.

Nolan added:

“The be all and end all was that this club wanted me and the owners put faith in me and have given me a security of contract. Now it’s my time to repay them and hopefully I will do that.”

Newcastle fans will have their own opinions on this transfer, but I think this is a very sad story for Newcastle.

• Cardboy

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Good luck to you Kevin.

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Great player for us. Wish him all the best at West Ham…

• G

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Devastated he has gone. His positioning on the pitch, as well as leadership will be sorely missed. Good luck with WHU.

• gonz

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Thanks and Good Riddance!!! Definitely not worth the extra 5k! ha!

• toonwardo

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Sad to see him go, but unlike all other Nufc supporters I can see the logic in it aswell. Getting older, dispute on the contract length (Can´t have him sitting on the bench intill he´s 33) We need to look forward and make some good signings, Ba and Cabaya is a good start. Still think we´re looking towards and exciting next season. Best of luck to King Kev though!

• ToonTiote

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Gutted he is left but got to get on with it all this talk of players coming in and at Newcastle has anyone really been mentioned because its just been Cabaye and thats it who I no of who has been with us for talks. This talk about N’Zogbia and Barnetta has it even been confirmed and not of twitter?

• woodsee

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Greedy git ,could of stayed knows fine well he wouldnt be starting next season.
    Enjoy Peterboro and smogland Kev,dont blame Pardew and Ashley for everything

• Eastander

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Toonwardo… all other NUFc supporters? erm do you read this blog?

• belfastmagpie87

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM

good luck nolan,& all the best….

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM

this is a bad move we are gona have a slow start to season with new players having to gel no to mention the ones left being disilussioned by whats going on upstairs.

• cg

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Thank you for your efforts Kevin and best of luck at West Ham.

No need to soil this transfer business any further.

• RichK

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I’ve not posted for a few weeks but have been on here every day reading comments of others.

I’m sad to see Kev go (got my photo with him after the WBA game), great bloke and has done a fantastic job for us over the past 2 seasons particularly but I agree with the logic of MA and co on this one. There’s no way we could offer him a 5 year deal on 55k p/w that’s silly money, money that can be spent much better elsewhere – Cabaye for example only 26 and on about £30-35k p/w.

I’m really looking forward to the rest of the summer to see the twists and turns at St James’ but at the end of it I think we’ll end up with a much stronger squad – one that can hopefully push towards the top 8 next season. I think Barton, Enrique, Smith are certainties to leave and possibly a few other fringe players sold if offers come in.

I think Neil Taylor, Demba Ba (as long as he passes his medical) Erding will be signed, hopeful on N’zogbia, Barnetta and Matuidi as all are cracking players. S.Taylor for captain in my view – true geordie with real passion!

• NUFC STEVE

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I can’t see why Nolan and Barton didn’t take good 3 yr deals and put a clause in them that if they play x amount of games and Newcastle are in the top 10,they get another option of say a yr or 2???It looks to me that Nolan wanted a safe bet that he would be still picking up his wages when he us 34!!!!Good look any way nobby!!!!THE KING IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

• Miserable Now

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM

“I’ve come to West Ham because of the tradition of the club and everything about it.”

And they’re paying a fortune for 5years- he won’t even be in the West Ham starting eleven in 3years.

• Brutooon

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

let get those young and better players !!!!!!!!

• supervil

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Joey Barton summed it up inadvertently on Twitter when he said Nolan wanted a contract that allowed him and his kids to settle down in the area/schools etc…

Nolan wanted a final contract, rightly so, for the sake of his family. Newcastle United have been burnt by higher earners seeing their contracts out at the club and burning a whole in the wage budget.

See Alan Smith, Nicky Butt et. al… 55k a week for 5 years until he’s 34? Yes, he’ll have a cracking season next year… but will he be the player he was next year IF West Ham come up for the 2012/13 season? No way. His legs will have gone by the age of 31 – they already have.

I think, and it’s sad to say it, because I loved Nolan – easily our most intelligent (on the pitch) player… but the board made the right choice here.

• supervil

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I mean hole. Not whole. Baals.

• Magforlife

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Good luck Kevin, I for one will applaud you if you return to play against us one day ( well at the start anyway )
    But as a realist I see the sense in not paying over the odds on long contacts to older players. I will still keep your hat trick on sky player against the unwashed lot.

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM

How can we assume that Cabaye or any other cheap French import can replace the experience and desire of Nolan? Most people seem so assured that we will progress despite flogging our best players it is baffling. I personally am ashamed to be a fan of this club as it is represented by a heartless, greedy businessman, and a horde of blind lunatic fans who pay him-HWTL eh? does that translate into French?

• fungus44

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM

nufc steve they did put it in contract,s that if they finish top 10 or above next season they would get a bouns,but they wanted a 5 year deal good luck to him he,s gone for the money in mt eye,s westham in a lot of debt so can see anohter portsmounth on the way

• IH8_S4FC

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Sorry to see him go, has been a good servant to newcastle and i wish him all the best. However, i understand the descision as how many of us albeit on football manager and fifa etc sold him to get better players in!

• toonarmy09

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Any word from coozy who this player in jesmond is lads ??

• NathanH NUFC

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

So who’s going to be the captain next season I wonder? Cabaye maybe in a few seasons? But for now, id like to see Tiote with the armband 🙂

• Eastander

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

reports in france us and psg are leading the way for matuidi… if were going to spend that much on a defensive midfielder we better spend it on a striker as well!

• NUFC STEVE

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM

RichK
    Even better Cabaye is only 24!!!your dead right everything you’ve said there!!!

• toonwardo

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

@Eastander Sorry didn´t mean to drag you all into it. But mostly everyone is having a go at Ashley again, not sticking up for him but just think it´s right for kev to leave.

• TemuriKetsbaia

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM

@ Miserable now

You’re right – if WH get promoted he’ll be out of the side in a couple of years –

if not they’ll GO BUST. West Hams new owners are gambling with the club…

• toonarmy09

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

NathanH- prob Steven Taylor will get the armband ,I would like to see collo get it !

• ginkoh

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM

In reality Nolan still have 2 yrs contract with us, why he so eager to sign new contract. I don’t understand but now he gone so useless to talk about it.

I’m pretty sure Barton and Jose will be next.

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Also, since we are so ready and willing to take the word of DL or MA and their ‘plan’, then does this blind us to the fact that the most recent high profile departures at NUFC-i.e. Carrol and Nolan have both implicitly criticised the running of the club in there first press conferences? Or are they, like Barton, villains for daring to criticise NUFC? We must remember that NUFC is the fans, not the owner. Then again, no player is bigger than the club, why then is the owner bigger?

• NathanH NUFC

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM

@toonarmy09 – I think the main two are Collo or Tiote, Saylor definitely has the passion, but he might end up being on the bench again next season, Collo however would do a good job. Don’t think he quite has the passion & hunger of Tiote though 😀

• toonarmy09

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Think I’m wanting Barton to go now anyway ,his mouth too big and Ashley won’t put up with it ,but question is who will want him on the money he’s on ??

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Well done Fungus, you’ve fell right into the trap-the club want us to believe that our players are asking too much, it allows them to justify getting rid of them and in the process covers up the true facts that MIKE ASHLEY IS OUT TO MAKE MONEY NOT FOOTBALLING SUCCESS

• terencelim

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

We’ll pay for the price soon. Mark my words =)

• BiffBaffBoff

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I really cant blame either party regarding the Nolan transfer.

Mike Ashley has a wage structure in place and selling Nolan, like with Carroll proves that no one is bigger than it.

At the same time, this is likely to be Nolan’s last “big” contract so hes looking to get as much as possible. The club offered him 50k + £500k bonus on a 3 year deal which Nolan turned down, this after him waxing lyrical about the club, city and saying how he wants to win a trophy etc…

West Ham offered him 55k per week but more crucially, a 5 year deal. By this time Nolan will be 33/34 years old. You can’t blame Mike Ashley for not giving him that as at 33 years old Nolan will be nothing but a bit part player for us but will still be getting 50k per week for doing what Alan Smith is doing now which is doing fuck all.

If West Ham are willing to pay that for him then that’s up to them but I can’t blame either party for this other than West Ham’s madness and shows how desperate they are to get back into the premier league.

• nick_9

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for everything Kev, hope you bring west ham back up or do well. Takes a decent man to stay with a club after relegation. Hope we got a decent price for a midfielder who reached double figures In the premier league, not many players can do that.

• Ericles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Massive club? Where? When? Hope you like playing for such an enormous Essex club. When do you start blowing bubbles. Right now by the sound of it.

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

RichK

Oh my. With views like yours we are surely doomed to mediocrity.

• steburnip

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

NOLAN IS OLD AND SLOW WEST HAVE ARE GOING TO BE SPENDING 16+MILLION FOR NOLAN OVER THE 5 YEARS, HE IS GREEDY LIKE EVERY OTHER FOOTBALL PLAYER

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Toonwarder

Fking right I’m having a go at Ashley, what success has the man ever brought to NUFC?

1 2 3 15