Newcastle Have Paid Barton £221K For Each Game Played

Joey Barton has come out with more comments today that will only get him into more trouble – if anything.

Joey Barton – has been paid £221K for each game played

Joey has said he is just a pawn at Newcastle – and that the club refused him even a one penny pay raise.

We’re not surprised at that, and we’ll explain later why that’s the case, but first this is what Joey had to say to Talksport today :

“I don’t want to go, but that’s football. The clubs are the ones with the power and we’re just employees. If the football club wants a change of direction then the players are used as pawns and moved on or pushed out.”

“I believe in my ability and if Newcastle don’t think I’ll play past 29 then more fool them and I’ll go and ply my trade elsewhere.”

Barton has said he attempted to get negotiations started on a new deal at Newcastle, but he was told he wouldn’t get any pay raise at all on his current contract.

Joey continued:

“But I got a call saying there would be no negotiation. I was told they weren’t going to offer even 1p a week more. I was a bit taken aback. but that’s football.”

“I’d be very surprised if I leave this summer. I’ve had a few phone calls about interest and would I go here, or do that. That’s the nature of the game.”

“Unless someone can offer me the opportunity to play at the next level, and that’s the Champions League, I won’t be leaving the club.”

I’ll put the financial viewpoint on Joey, and these are  simply the financial facts of Joey’s time at Newcastle.

Joey has played 82 games for Newcastle in the four years he’s been on Tyneside, and has scored 8 goals, and last season was by far his best season at Newcastle, with 35 games and 5 goals scored.

Joey is on about £65K/week (approximate), so  over the last four years he’s received about £13.52M in wages (4*52*65K).

And if we include 80% of the £5.8M in transfer fee Newcastle paid Manchester City for him, for four of the five years, that’s another £4.64M the club has paid for those games.

So over four years Joey has cost  Newcastle about £18.16M for the 82 games played.

And that’s about  £221K (£18.16/82) for every game that Joey has cost Newcastle over the last four years.

That’s one reason Newcastle would have been rather unwilling to give him a wage raise, and the club wanted to cut his wages by around £1M per year.

So it’s a bit disingenuous of Joey to complain he didn’t get an offer of even a  1p wage raise, but he’s probably talked himself into trouble again with these comments.

Anyway, those are the cold financial facts.

• gonz

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

1st

• listie

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I think paying him the 60k odd a week while he was locked up hasn’t been forgotten by the board

• gonz

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM

haha! didn’t think I’d ever be part of the first group, but it was there for the taking! My bad y’all!!!

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Demba Ba will be announced as our 3rd signing this window. Another injury prone striker who is as good as leon best. great.

• grumpy_old_sod

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

152grumpy_old_sod // Jun 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Boom boom the 1st

I think that Nolan has been an excellent player the last two years, his goals have been invaluable to our promotion and our recent league position.

But (there’s always a but), like the rest of us, this is a period of financial difficulties. If the offer that is mentioned 3 years and 50 grand a week, then I believe this to be a fair offer in these challenging times.

I just think that come the start of the season, we may have decent players to replace Nolan ect.

Like I said earlier though, I do believe players should be brought in before we let others go.

• leeb1982

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Barton shouldnt be arsed about not getting pay rise considering he told everyone he would take a cut

• elpaso_geordie

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:49 PM

If we are sigining N Zogbia why hasnt it been done as he has been told he can leave …..

Its cos we wont be spending that much on one player end of ……………………………..

multiple mediorce signings due to follow Ba ,

Ba is not proven as he has only played 12 games in this league and had a similar spell in terms of goals to games as Leon Best who is also championship quality at best.

• Ollieh51

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Ed – So happy you’re back and able to put logic into everyone’s head as to why him and Kev are NOT loved by the board perhaps?

Makes perfect sense that we’re not offering them these mental contracts and players will soon find this out.

Good luck to Kev at WHAm. Thansk for the hattrick and the chicken dance but you’re a fool for trying to hold a club ransom that is looking to develop like we are.

Take that as a warning Joey and shut up and play your way into another team if need be.

If we sign a winger this window, he too will struggle to hold down his place.

• gonz

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I have to say about the Nolan situation I’m glad in a way that he’s gone if it was the extra 5k that swayed his decision and he knows that he would’ve played less next season and wasn’t going to be flavor of the month anymore. He served us well for the short time that he was here and again, Ashley has done another piece of good business, it’s a shame it’s to do with another player leaving and not a good piece of business finding new talent for us.
    As far as Barton, didn’t he say he would take a pay cut? So, why are you complaining lad?

• carl nufc

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I think it time we got Barton off the wage bill too, he has had 1 good season in 4 years, he cant beat a man and ever since AC left both him and nolan have not been good enough for Newcastle..
    As for Nolan, even Big Sam has said as a midfielder he is very average and that its not until he is in the box with a big forward thats when he comes to life.He does not look 100% fit and the last 20 mins of most games we might aswell played with 10 men..So to anyone who thinks he should have been given a 5 year contract, get a grip!

• keyser soze

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:53 PM

ilovetoon8788

How many game did he miss for West ham?

• ONLINE GUY

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Joey did not say there was not even a one pence pay RISE ,,He just said that there was no contract there for him to sign ..What he meant was not even a penny contract on the table

Sounds like you don’t like Joey, Ed

Ashley is Running the club like an army prison camp.. Treating Pro Sportsmen like Children..What a Dictator Ashley is.

Oh Cabaey, what have you let yourself in for !

Welcome to the Madhouse.

• aussietoonfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM

having read the last 8 to 10 articles, I have 1 thing to say:

SHUT UP! SHUT UP!! SHUT UP!!!

Jees it’s no wonder that down here in Australia the english are known as whingeing bloody poms. All the naysayers that are so knowledgeable about the game who don’t have the funds to own a club, don’t have the credentials to manage a club and can’t probably manage to get out of their comfy chairs to take a leak, ALL come out of the woodwork with their expert opinions.

1. The owner is NOT trying to lose his investment.
    2. The manager is NOT trying to get sacked.
    3. Players are NOT gods.
    4. Football is regrettably a very big business.
    5. Stories unless confirmed by the indivuals THEMSELVES are NOT necessarily fact.
    6. True fans support their club NO MATTER WHAT!
    7. Some fans should be happy they get to watch their heroes LIVE in the flesh EVERY WEEK.

Season 2010/2011 was my first year supporting the toon, and I’ll tell you what:

Bring on 2011/2012 cause I can hardly wait. Win or Lose I’ll get up every match day at 2-3:00 am and scream C’mon the Toon!

• nick_9

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Is this an attempt to make us want rid of Barton because he has been quite costly? At least the lad is grafting now he is fit and it least he has shown some commitment unlike all those who jumped the scene when we got relegated. Tell you what why don’t you try seeing what Alan smith cost per game and justify why we kept him for so long? Alan smith on 60k a week or Joey Barton on 60k a week? I know which I would rather have on the books and who I’d rather get shot of sooner. Despite what many think the club isn’t run as well as made out, I guess by the sheer amount of debate on here it would be hard for Ashley to please us all as we clearly have different views on how a club is run well. I’ll give the guys his due he is trying but he still makes silly decisions regarding man management in my opinion. I actually feel for Pardew because it is his who will receive the criticism/plaudits for others actions. When does a player get sacked for bad performances? They don’t

• burnsie

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:03 PM

well said AUSSIE TOON FAN!!!!

• NathanH NUFC

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM

We should just offer him a contract, the length that he wants & cut the wages to compensate for the contract length. If he rejects it, he’s obviously just as bad as Kevin Nolan & is in it for the money.

• Nick 69

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Ed- take it you never listened to the interview then.

Joey Barton never mentioned a wage rise. He said my agent told me they werent even offering me a contract, not even 1p per week. He didnt mention 1p per week RISE. So please get your facts right before crticising Barton. He said he was happy to take a pay cut in the interview but just wanted a 4 year deal as he wanted stability as his wife just found out she was pregnant.

• Burni

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

online guy pleas explain how this”I was told they weren’t going to offer even 1p a week more” (which is a direct quote from Barton himself is not him wanting more money….. some people are just blinded by their hatred for Mike ashley.

Aussie Toon Fan…. You seem like type of fan were missing on these forums…. level headed

• Jossys_Giants

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:08 PM

he’ll pay 40% PAYE tax too plus NI and other club associated costs like catering charges etc so technically they aren’t paying him that figure per game.

• scottoon

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Aussie Toon

Too right lad! Although the match time is a little more tolerable in Canada!

• nyctoon

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

thank you aussietoonfan. i keep a relatively low profile on these forums and enjoy reading the comments but we’ve had a bit of negativity creep in on here recently refreshing to see some levelheadedness. hwtl!!!

• Nick 69

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Burni – because that is a MIS-quote. I listened to the interview live, he didnt say 1p per week MORE, he said they arent even offering me 1p per week.

Your the type of fan than that isnt missed on these types of forums, ones that come out with incorrect quotes and facts and try to slate people, get your facts right next time you want to have a go at people

• wynsleap

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM

With the mindset Joey has at the moment he’s going to be a negative aspect within this club.
    Nolan has now gone – it’s history- and it is time for Barton to take the same journey.
    I’m at the point now where I am sick of hearing about Nolan, Barton and Enrique.
    Let’s get on with the new recruits and look forward to a new (hopefully more successful) era.

• Lynxie

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Joey Barton deserved to be sacked tow years ago. FACT. Joey Barton has been one of our most consistent players this season FACT. If you do well, you should be appreciated and rewarded FACT. The logic here is going back to ‘My way or the highway’ of Ashley, and we know where that led us…………
    For goodness sake, he is a premier league class player, so pay the lad what he is showing us he is worth. After all, we have paid more for less.

• Burni

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Nick 69 Fair point…. I was basing my post on what was in front of me …. the quote I provided. But if that is the case then I am wrong.

• NorseMag

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

So now he feels “pushed” out of the club too. Because 65K a week is what? an insult?

Spoiled are we?

• veto

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:20 PM

sorry like but ill state my opinion as much as i please weather that agree’s with some of you or not , ive been going to sjp since i was 6 years old , a quater of a century .
    its easy saying true fans should support the club no matter what when there half way round the bloody world, the only expense to them is the cost of the tv subscription .

• Nick 69

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Burni – no probs mate, don’t know where Ed has gotten that quote from to be honest, Joey said money was never the issue he just wanted longevity as he didnt want to be uprooting he’s first born kid and moving round the country, he just wanted stability and to be able to settle his family in the area

• Davies

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Aussie toon – Possibly the most sense posted on here ever.

• Davies

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM

I’ve read the quote from Ed’s article in quite a few places, by the way.

• ONLINE GUY

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Just Off topic ..

Please read this ..a bit long but please give it 5 mins.

When people said that Man U were not good last season ..They were right , they were not that good .

Thing is they get 12 points at least per season because of referee’s biased decisions..there is institutional bias for Man U from at least 2/3rd’s of the refs in the Prem..in fact apart from 1 or 2 its most of them

Man U get at least 12 points per season because of this .

I seen Rooney the Looney punch a Wigan player in the head, delibrate and the ball was nowhere in sight..no action taken

I seen Ferdinand Kick a player in the face @6 feet high..no action taken.

I also seen him punch a guy in the face

NO ACTION every time

Then Vidic with his rugby tackles right through the season ,don’t know how He gets away with it time after time

Summing up, all Man Utd titles are False

We need to bring the cameras into the field of play , not just goal line tech

Ferguson will Shit his dress if they are brought in, because they get away with cheating most games.

Imagine Manchester United taking the field at the start of every game , full of confidence that the ref’s are going to give them most decisions ..and not much against them..

The so called big 4 or 5 will be in some state if the FA bring in the cameras,
    as it will allow the smaller clubs that are not supposed to win anything a level playing field ..This will help the smaller clubs feel confident of Getting correct decisions and help them grow.

The Game at the top end / money end seems to be full of Hipocrites and liars

Remember the De’Jong attack on Ben Arfa?

Swept under the carpet by our FA Prem whilst the top football people in Europe condemned the attack on Ben Arfa ..even the Dutch national coach banned him from the Holland team ..and all our FA could do was think of ways to Punish Newcastle ..This is all true by the way !

Newcastle wrote to them and they totally ignored Newcastle United and the plight of the young player ..

After that Letter Newcastle’s players seemed to be the victims of an FA vendetta ..with our players getting 3 match bans and reported for next to nothing ..then judged by a panel of football Know all’s who all live in and around London..Southern FA bias .

Remember Blackpool V Man U ?

Blackpool should have been awarded a blatant penalty Man U should have had a man sent off ..Blackpool winning 3-0 and Manure with 10 men..But the ref was a total cheat/Bias and a Man U Fergie fan… that’s just one instance,,you will know of others .

Bring in the cameras to the field of play and the so called little clubs might start winning things and be allowed to grow

Its not just money that Keeps the so called Big 5 at the top It’s institutional Bias by the Corrupt FA and Referee’s

And last season they walked all over us .

Start a petition ED please ! Cameras !

Alex Ferguson will shit his dress .

• ONLINE GUY

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM

NICK69 read number 12 . cheers.

• aussietoonfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM

hey veto:
    “sorry like but ill state my opinion as much as i please weather that agree’s with some of you or not”

please do mate. The last thing I want is for anyone to have to hold their thoughts, but all I seem to read is hate comments and some of the views are so unapologetically spiteful that there really is no need to go there. Please everyone make a comment but be respectful and refrain from insults and outright aggression.

And by the way; I would love to see the boys live but the only way to do that is via T.V. Sorry but through no fault of my own I was born here. Guess you’ll have to blame my parents:)

• nick_9

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Before it all kicked off I think the sensible thing to do would have been to offer him a contract until he is 32 so three years and then for the fourth year he wanted have it based on number of games played. If he plays a number of games he automatically gains the fourth year. All of course on a drop of 5-10k a week. Surely Barton would have gone for that.

• CLOIN

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Forget JB he will not be here come the start of the season and he knows it!He has basically ended his career at our club with his stupid remarks,even if they are true

• Flood

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Jesus Ed, and the rest of the fans on here!

Joey was our star performer last year and its amazing how fickle some fans can be! Bumming him all year and then stabbing him in the back when he should get some support. Ashley is proving to be much like a dictator in his approach as a chairman. He should be in the background but he’s too involved. Pardew seems like he’s a puppet. He’s being made to look like an idiot. Ed, your blog has got worse over the years. You state rumours to be fact. Like the barnetta story earlier. No quotes, no sources.

Like 2 years ago, everyone raved abour bassong, and then when he left, ‘oh yeah he’s average.’ Its amazing how fickle fans can be. Without Joey, we would have probably ended up relegated!

• daneevz

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:23 PM

the obvious thing with nolan is he wanted alot of wages for to long a time 55k a wk haha dont think hes worth 30k in his advanced yrs. Also with new mid coming in he must thought “im no longer going to be the big fish in a small pond” so i think thats why hes gone to w.ham to be tha big fish again. But Fair Doos been gr8 for us and wish him all the best.

• bobby jay

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

People need to realise that Joey Barton has not been worth the money NUFC have paid him.
    If Mike Ashley decides that he can use mine (and others) season ticket and shirt money in a more cost effective way, that can potentially take the club forward then he has to be allowed to do that.
    I have faith that come the end of this window a lot of fans will be happy with how this summer has turned out. This last 6 months has done nothing but expose the levels of greed that run through the playing of our club. How about we the fans just get behind whats left of our team and focus on who’s coming in next? rather than just wallowing in negativity.
    HAWAY LADS bring on next season and another 5-1 @SJP 🙂

• solano

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Online Guy (post 12)…spot on.
    Ed has taken the quote out of context and there is not a contract on offer, even though it was well publicised that JB would take a apycut
    AussieToon….I know you can’t help you’re geographical position but you must ask yourself why, in this area of the world where people are so friendly and accommodating and willing to give anyone a fair crack of the whip, there are so many people who hate MA? Let me tell you he has had 4years of mismanagement, arrogance and sulllying the reputation of NUFC….I’m amazed how apathetic some fans are considering how he has transformed us into a sales conveyor belt for more ambitious clubs

• MacToon

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:20 PM

newcastle-have-paid-barton-221k-for-each-game-played

and worth every penny imho.