Nolan Left Because West Ham Offered Better Contract

We were hoping that somebody from the club, such as Alan Pardew, would explain to fans the logic of selling captain Kevin Nolan.

Kevin Nolan – disappointed at Newcastle deal

But the Newcastle Journal this morning have some explanations of why Kevin Nolan left the club, and it seems he was not too happy with the treatment he received during his recent contract negotiations, and not happy with the final contract offered to him.

The Newcastle Journal is saying today that West Ham paid Newcastle £4.5M for Kevin Nolan and Kevin will be on a massive £55K/week at the east London club.

It seems that Kevin finally had enough of Newcastle once the club (translate that to Ashley and Llambias) said they wouldn’t offer Joey Barton a new deal, and Kevin apparently tuned down what was said to be a reasonable offer from Newcastle.

So it seems to us the owner Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias are driving players from the club, if this news is to be believed, because we also understand Jose Enrique is not too thrilled with Mike Ashley.

The Newcastle hierarchy are not happy at offering long term deals to players who will be in their 30s once the deal expires, but this is a risky game they are playing this summer, and will no likely lose a lot of their experienced players this summer..

Nolan is said to feel let-down by the club over his recent contract negotiations, so it seems Kevin elected to leave, and turned down a new three year deal offered to him by Newcastle.

Kevin is getting a phenomenal deal at West Ham, and  is said to be an improvement of what he was offered at Newcastle, and it seems it’s for a four year period.

So a second division club can offer Nolan a better deal than Newcatsle can – how could they ever let that happen?

The Newcatsle deal was just not long enough for Kevin, and he got a longer deal, more money  and more security at West Ham, so it seems the move was based purely on a better contract at West Ham, and having the opportunity to join up with Sam Allardyce again.

• scdoty

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Deal not long enough? 55k a week? In a years time he will be like alan smith.

Love KN and what he has done for us, wish he had stayed but not on that wage.

Good luck to him, hope he does well.

• Xavi

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM

mike ashley needs to be shot!!

he has no clue about football.

• toonsonlyrealisticfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM

kevin nolan ok he scored a hat trick against sunderland and does his distracting on the keeper, sure he rally’s the team but if he was true to Newcastle United he would of continued his current contract like a true captain and see how he could prove he’s a great leader by winning a cup, it looks as if all we look forward to is personal play achievements, this is the same player who helped the move of andy carroll to liverpool, if he was our captain he would of tried his upmost to keep him instead. On the same subject that was all joey barton was good for supply a long ball to carroll yer thats great but he aint their no more so he cant survive on his yellow cards anymore

for me these player can leave at the own wish, and i cant be ars**d with people replying that the have done loads. Im sorry but they are expected to play well in the championship, it wasn’t just the players who got us up it was the funds for guess who Mike Ashley. We dont need players who dont want to play for the winning of cups, we dont need players who are only going pick up more and more injurys as the are getting to that age. When we got relegated i was the only one happy as i knew we had a chairman that didnt want to lose his investment and we got rid of the players playing for a pay packet, ie DUFF OWEN BEYE and so on

Wht we whould be dont is kicking off about why we havnt of loaded AMEOBI by know i swear i will quit being a fan if i see him play for us ever again . how is he still in our squad never mind first 11 how he takes the embarrassment i dont know

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM

4.5mil is probably a lie. they sold Nolan for 1.5mil.

• terencelim

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I’ve learnt the lesson not to believe any words come out from the mouth of the board.

• toonsonlyrealisticfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM

xavi go and support Barca mate

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM

scdoty — well said mate

• listie

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:31 AM

All the best Kev, although I do feel it’s West Ham playing a dangerous game, 55K a week in the Championship, if they think Nolan is a replacement for Parker they will be in trouble.
    Gone are the days that we are aging players one last big payout, part of me is glad of that too

• GeordieRob

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM

@scdoty

I feel the same way. He has done very very well for us. He was a great leader. Always gave his all. But that deal is something that we should not match. There are very very few 32 year olds that can cut it in the Prem let alone 34.

Best of luck to him and I hope this gamble pays off for all parties. Very relieved that we don’t have to play against him next season though.

• Brutooon

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM

If they get back to the premierleague then its ok, but what if they DONT?

Nolan got couple of years in his football career, i think increase in wages is good for him.

• boing123

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM

We have to be fair – I would not have offered a 55k/week 4-year deal to a player who will be 33 at the end of the contract. I think MA was generous to even offer 50k/week and 3 years.

• Toonboy

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

In the end of the day, yes he has done well for us, but demanding a contract that will take him into his mid 30’s is asking for to much. Good luck to him- but I am sure we will find a younger better replacement, most probably Craig Gardner.

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

well it was time for nolan to leave but i still think that he could have been a atleast a squad player for the remaining of his Contract but i think he wanted to leave unless his Contract got extended

• jd.nufc5

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

£55K for Nolan, thats madness

• Oleg G

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Stupid board – for letting him go.

Stupid Nolan – You got 2 years on your contract, respect it. This what you signed for, you have still 2 years? Why are you asking for a raise? You didn’t see it coming? If you were at the table then when you signed – why didn’t you say. A raise of (I don’t know how much you were getting here) 10% every year. If the club agrees, good for you, if not, don’t sign.

But why to sign and then 2 years before it end, start asking for more?

Captain? Whatever. Go to W.H, like your friend Carroll… ching ching….

A player should see his contract till the end. The club should do the same.

Where all those words of – I want to be here bla bla bla. All crap. This is no captain.

The board sucks, but I also understand that I wouldn’t want my employee to come and try to squeeze out of me money when he still has a previous contract.

We probably got for him 2-3M, not more.

The board should think about what they are doing but the players are not acting any better.

• bazzer

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Although I like him (and hate Ashley and his puppet), i’d probably have done the same thing myself, given the history of handing out big contracts to players that may add value for a year or two, but then are past their prime and restrict us from regenerating the squad. I just think you hand out big contracts quickly and then repent over a long long time (Owen, Luque, Marcelino, Smith…the list goes on and on). What is clearly being said by this, is that we are going to invest in youth and that isnt a bad thing IMO. Team spirit can be built and I really hope that this might see us see Steven Taylor step up and play a more senior role, because he encapsulates everything positive about Newcastle.

• Oleg G

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM

To all those who say – it would be good if he stayed as a backup – he didn’t want to be a backup here, don’t you get it. This is exactly what was going on. I am sure of it. He wanted to be in the first 11 or he walks. Also a backup doesn’t get that much money, he didn’t like that.

Still he should have respected his contract for the next 2 years.

• Mags

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I am calm now. Good luck Kevin and thanks for the memories.

Time to draw a line in the sand and move on.

• Spitfire

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I used to hate Ashley. I am beginning to warm to him. I can see what he is doing, and why he is doing it. He just will not be held to ransom by players – whoever they are and he is sending out a message to players, managers, fans and the wider footballing world. You might not like it, you might not agree with it but he is carrying out a root and branch reform of the way this club behaves. Maybe its about time it happened because we have not had a great track record the way we have been run for the last 40 odd years. I think people just have to accept that they must like it or lump it. All the handwringing and tubthumping ain’t gonna change anything.

• bazzer

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Brutoon,

I agree. He’s star is probably shining brighter than it ever has and, what does he do, takes a step back with no guarantee of getting back to the PL at the first attempt. What is absolutely clear, he has chased the money and I cant wait to hear his first interview where he explains why he has went, because it certainly isnt ambition. Question for me is, if he is so good, why wouldn’t PL side give him a big contract?

• simon/nufc

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Thanks for the hat trick against the mackems gud luck kev

• Oleg G

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM

toonsonlyrealisticfan // Jun 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Agree on everything except the MA remark. His funds are not the issue, if not him, we would still have an owner, the same, worse or better, we don’t know.

Also totally agree on Ameobi. Have no Idea how he is still here. Also Smith and Xisco. We should let them go, even by terminating their contract partly, getting to an agreement that they get lets say 50% of their future wages, and they can leave to any club. They are taking space and moral. Players don’t want to play with Ameobi.

• Oleg G

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM

bazzer // Jun 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I asked the same question yesterday – Where are all the other clubs to come and take him if he is such a big hit in the PL?

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Emotional supporting the toon isnt it.The day to start moaning is last day of the transfer window and we see who we have brought in. Even then if 90% are p****d off with who we have – we have to get behind them and give them our full support. I am angry with the owner/manager but we still have 2 months and see who we bring in. Am I confident – no I am not but I will give my full support no matter what. This blog is all about opinions however some people seem never to be happy.
    Keep the Faith

• Milzzy Rascal

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Hmmm fat Sam fills a team with ageing and slowing players paying them a massive wage and putting them on a stupidly long contract……..now where have I seen that before

• Jossys_Giants

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

First post for me – never forget that all the players are in it for themselves first. Even the local ones ala Shearer etc were content at raking money out of the club for years, they dont play for free! Nolan needed the security of this long contract – in 2 years nobody would be touching him so he has pushed for this move.

Its common business sense to let him go now, savings on the 40k per week x 2 years could be used for a 22yr old plus the small fee.

I was struggling to include him in a starting 11 for next season – even towards the back end of this season he was getting dropped for games, with him being the club captain it was starting to be a minor problem for Pardew.

I dont agree with everything Ashley does however I do think if he improved communication with the fans a lot of this anger towards him would reduce.

• maverickman1979

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

i dont believe Kevin Nolan seriously wanted a contract up until his 34th birthday !!!
    It doesnt make sense for the club to tie themselves down to such a deal it just doesnt make financial sense to do this. Im no fan of fat man and dorty derek but Nolan should question himself here and maybe has used this deal as a get out clause maybe he wanted to leave as his big drinking pal AC left.
    On a positive note maybe Barton might get a contract now, although he will need to keep his trap shut if he wants one.
    Maybe optimistic on my part as i would like joey to stay but head tells me joey, enrique and a few more will be out of the door in the coming weeks.
    The big question is who and what kind of quality comes into replace them??
    Neil Taylor for Jose??? Signs arent looking good are they!!!!!!

• NuFcKieran

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

typical, leaving for money!

• antonufc.ie

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM

well said oleg and spitfire if you were boss and someone wanted 55 grand a week and was near his 30s and you knw for sure there is youner more ambitious players on cheaper wages who would you go for let jones go too whats he got 7 goals in 110 games thats fairly piss poor for an attackin winger barton is the same

• Jan Stavik

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Ashley and his crew is running this club as a business, and it’s working out well. The times where we brought in big names to please the fans are gone, now we are building a unit of your hungry players instead.

I like what Ashley is doing. Let’s face it lads, Kevin Nolan is not very fit, he’s lost his legs and will probably not be at this level for many years to come due to this. If he’s not happy with what he has in Newcastle, I’m happy to see the back of him. He’s been the captain of one of the biggest clubs in UK, if he’s willing to give that up for a few extra k a week… Good riddance!

• toonsonlyrealisticfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Good Luck Kevin Nolan but I don’t believe that NUFC has to be held at ransom to pay any player high wages , what exactly has Nolan done for Newcastle for all those fans complaining today , he scored a hat trick against Sunderland yeah well done but that doesn’t do it for me, ok he HELPED get us back in the premiership but that was expected, he also took us down. The only reason that he didn’t leave was because no one else would offer him a better contract now he kept us in the premiership, no he didn’t the team did this. Im sick of FANS living on personal player achievements rather than the clubs we need a trophy and I cant see Nolan at the helm supplying that , so yes he can go cos we shouldn’t give im a larger salary cos he hasn’t done anything to warrant for it, and sorry distracting a the keeper and dancing like a chicken aint impressing me in the stands. And the whole Andy Carroll Saga put me off Kevin along time ago, if he was a true captain he would have been trying his best to keep Carroll there but instead he offers his mums house as a place to stay at LIVERPOOL, Carroll was to young to make his own mind up. And if Nolan wanted his new contract soo much why would he prove himself a so called great leader and win us a cup next year, it cos he cant hes only getting older, that why the championship looks like a safe bet fo him.
    MIKE ASHLEY is not a mug like SHEPERD, the days of stupidity like 17 million for a (handsome looking OWEN) was ridiculous and im glad there over. I believe that ASHLEY is helping the club but most Newcastle fans are just too dumb to see it, I would rather have younger players to gel with the other stars that ASH has bought , TIOTE being the main one. Wehen we were relegated I was probs the only nufc fan happy, we could finally off load all the player just playing for money and themselves i.e DUFF, OWEN, MILNER and so on.

What we should be doing is demanding the transfer or cancelation of AMEOBIS contract if he ever plays for Newcastle again I will rip my shirt and forget about football for good. I never thought I would hate a player so much I want him gone , TIT ARSE was sent on his way why no SHOLA, a player who has been tried and failed to break into the First 11 for 10 years needs to be gone . Ranger has been given 1 year and hes already on the transfer list I DON’T GET IT ASH

• Toonsurfer

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Seems to me that there are one of two things happening:

REVOULUTION or EVOLUTION

We have to hope it is the latter. Yes we are losing our captain, but there are others who
    can step up to the mark. I know its a big if, but if we are to take the next big step then there are too many
    average players in the (small) squad.

Put it another way: Most bloggers have been wishing for ashley to sell to some multi billionaire.Someone who would buy us a team of top players. If that happened then exactly the same would be happening to the club, i.e. selling those surplus to requirements and bringing in better players.

Most bloggers dream team did not include Nolan and I fear that he would have in a years or twos time become another smith (high wages and a bench warmer at best). He has done a fantastic job and will be remebered as a hero to the toon but the club needs to evolve.

Give the club time and see what happens over the next two months, cos it aint going to happen overnight.
    Try thinking of glass half full – not half empty!

• MrToon

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I think nolan was best played behind a centre foward cleaning up loose balls, rather than a midfielder. I don’t think he was as effective after Carrol left. It looks like we are trying to fill midfield with players who are skilled passers and trying to introduce some speed into the team which I think we have been lacking. We will miss he’s leadership skills, but you can’t keep paying for a leader if he is not fitting in with the new plans. I do wish him well but I don;’t think its he’s skills in midfield that will be missed. Lets just hope we make up the goals somwhere else.

• Munster Mag

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I tend to agree. Ashely is carrying out a root and branch reform of how the club does business, and this has been going on for a while now. We have to be careful, but i agree with not giving out fat contracts to aging players. And if the players love us that much ( yeah right ) , they’ll stay and take the terms offered, and what we are offering seems to have been reasonable. Now lets get in some quality replacements and start building the spirit again – asap.

• Oleg G

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM

antonufc.ie // Jun 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Well, I disagree on the part of Jonas. I think if a player is hard working, and loyal and wants to stay, we should keep him (Don’t hear Jonas asking for new contracts). A player isn’t measured only by his goals. Jonas is giving 11000% almost every game and that is work rate, more important then syle, creativity or even leadership in my book. a team can have 1 leader but it needs all 11 to have good work rate.

Also, Jonas is not a scoring winger, he is a chance creator. The problem is that he didn’t have enough good players around him (Nolan and Barton behind or on the side who are not creative enough) and his crosses became better only this year. Also our style is not that good for him, the manager should send him on the wing and then he should be cutting in the middle of the pitch where a player like HBA or Stturige is waiting (fast, creative, a scorer).

Also, really we cannot let all our seniors go. Colo and Jonas are more important in my opinion then Barton and Nolan. Jose is also super important but he doesn’t want to stay.

• Spitfire

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM

toonsonlyrealisticfan

well said….might change my name to toonsonlyotherrealsiticfan……..nah too long to type

• toonsonlyrealisticfan

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM

i want to change my name as i can see some fans are understanding what ASH is doing!! TOON TOON

• antonufc.ie

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM

@oleg
    id love jose to stay but im kinda resigned to that not happening i like jonas but he dont score enough falls down easy all the time and the rumours doing the rounds online that liverpool want them both for 22million

• Twatter

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Only wet spam would offer a five year contract worth 55k a week to Nolan so to answer your question posed Ed, I don’t think it’s worrying they pat more – their wage bill is probably still higher than ours. As long as we replace with proven prem quality (a la nzogbia ) and bring in an extra five players, I won’t mind.

• SuperShearer

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Pardew press conference at 10.30 apparently. Might shed some light on the whole thing. I for one wish KN good luck. He’s been great for us but I think he is part of a brand of football (Fat Sam’s Brand) that we need to, and are, moving away from. He’s no sprig-chicken was probably not going to be a starter next season so if the offer is right let him go. He will be remembered for his hat-trick against the scum and his hard work in the Championship but we need to look to the future and build a more mobile and exciting team, a team that would not suit the likes of Nolan and Smith.