Marveaux – I Am Absolutely Thrilled To Be At Newcastle

Sylvain Marveaux has given his first interview today, and it’s clear he’s just delighted to be a part of Newcastle United.

Sylvain Marveaux – first interview today

This is what the 25 year-old told the Sunday Sun today:

“I am absolutely thrilled to be here – I am so happy I just cannot wait to get started.” “I have been talking to Newcastle for a long time and it was a club which always interested me.”

“I had seen St James’ Park on TV and on You Tube but when I came to the ground yesterday morning, I was amazed at how big it is.” “I cannot imagine what it is like when it is full with supporters.”

“It is a big club which can be one of the top clubs in Europe and people at the club have been very good with me.”  “I want to repay their faith in me. Now I just want to get started.”

Newcastle picked up Marveaux for an excellent fee from Rennes of  £0, but he would probably be valued at around £5M, and of course in France he has often been compared to Chelsea’s Florent Malouda.

And it seems the 31 year old French International is a continuing inspiration to him:

“In France they say I am like Florent Malouda, which is what I hope to do for Newcastle.” “He is a great player and if I could emulate him I would be happy.”

“I think my game is about working hard and scoring goals.” “I will do my best for the club and for the team and I look forward to making this move a success.”

Certainly Newcastle may have to look at creating some French Cafes in the City center, given all the French players they are bringing in.

But it’s clear Newcastle are considered a huge club in France, and both Ben Arfa and Charles N’Zogbia have been recommending Newcastle to our French targets, which is good to see.

Newcastle moved quickly to sign Sylvain in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and insiders at the club have said he was given a very stringent medical, before signing his five year deal.

The Frenchman hasn’t played since last October when he picked up his groin injury, but training at Newcastle starts two weeks tomorrow, and he will no doubt be looking forward to that:

“I have been back in training for two weeks.” “I am fine and I am ready to start pre-season in July with the rest of the Newcastle players.”

“It has been tough to be out so long but now I have extra motivation over the summer because I want to be a big success at Newcastle and to make a big impact in England.”

“My dream is to play for France and I have friends here who have already played for the national team.”

It’s good that Sylvain is already back in training, and Alan Pardew will now have the job of ensuring the Newcastle team spirit is as good as it was over the last two seasons.

The pre-season will be important for the squad to gel, and get to know each other.

And with the new players coming in, Newcastle should be a lot more skilful side than last season, and we have a lot of flair in the side, and the lads should be good to watch.

Alan Pardew has already said he is completely committed to playing attacking attractive football.

That’s good.

Comments are always welcome.

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

i wanna type 1st ..

• Andy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

He looks exactly like malouda. Let’s hope he is just as good!

• Tommyy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Kilcline will rip your face off.

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM

The guy seems to set a high standard for himself if he is comparing (or stating others compare him to) Malouda – cant wait for pre season to see him in action. Hope he lives up to it…….and quickly.

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM

lol .. kiccline thinks im a prick for doing this lol …

• sirjasontoon

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

He has aged quick Ed 🙂

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

tommy — haha i know

• Tommyy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I just hope him and Ba don’t backfire.

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM

hope hes half as good as malouda

• Brutooon

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

is he injury prone type of player?

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Off topic, does anybody have a link to that Ben Arfa video where they show all his through balls (dont think he scored any goals in it). It shows why he should play a central role.

• Andy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM

He has been out since november because he needed an operation and the club agreed to give him it to make sure he could get a transfer. I’m not sure if he is injury prone but if he was hopefully that op will have sorted the problem out

• arcarius

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

@Brutoon

06/07 – 8 games.
    07/08 – 11 games
    08/09 – 3 games
    09/10 – 33 games
    10/11 – 9 games

What do you think? Hope he’ll be able to get at least 20 games for us 😆

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM

offkey — which game was that against everton ??

• geordiefinn

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

In five seasons at Rennais, Marveaux has only played in 102 games… I hope that worst is now behind.

• chuck

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Does’nt look exactly estatic in the above photo.
    What is that a script NUFC gives to all their signings?, as i believe everyone coming to the club has said the exact same thing.
    Actually if the guy had said, i’m here for the money and i will try to do as good as i can, cause it could mean the difference of playing for France or not.
    It would have been acceptable enough.

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

@ 10

Theres a lot of talk of him being injury prone but I thought it was only this last year with a groin injury. He does seem to have contradicted himself which is a bit of a worry. He said somewhere else that he has been training for months and could have played the last game of the season for Rennes. And above he says training for two weeks. I might just be misinterpreting it but this contradiction makes me think his injury might be a bit more serious (hope its not).

• mr.T...iote

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

sirjasonoon he says the 31yer old is an insperation to him,,, meaing malouda is an insperation to marveaux

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I say he’s very similar to Malouda. I think it’s a very good comparison, and this guy is even younger and free which is great 🙂

• kunal

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

sirjasontoon

he is referring to maloudas age

• ToonTiote

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I wrote this in the other article thou might as well post on here to…..

We need to get the following ………

Centre Back ( Cover )
    Right Midfielder
    Forward ( BIG PLAYER )

But a do think a fair few of the young lads will be getting brought into the team the likes of …..

Shane Ferguson
    James Tavernier
    Haris Vuckic ( Pardew said himself we can expect him playing a part this season )
    Philip Airey ( He is rated high by Beardsley he said if we can get him right we will be a top player )

A think we will see them brake into the team this season or at least get a run out/chance look how it worked out for Fergie he was one my fav player back end of season.

• ToonDownSouth

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Whilst I’m excited about attacking players being bought in, it would have been nice to keep at least SOME of the English grit that kept us together this season.

Hope we don’t rue letting go of Nolan and Barton (who will surely go).

• ~Raylor Naylor Saylor~

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Very slow news day today….

• Andy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Offkey what he said was that he had been training the last 2 weeks of the season for rennes and he could’ve played their last game. That is maybe what he meant

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

@ Cheick and Bake

They were all through balls in France, none for us, many blind passes where he looks one way and slides them through. All at high speed as well……..amazing.

• WWJBD

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

When are we going to get a player come out and be truthful?

“I am here because Liverpool wouldnt pay me enough…but am still going to play my heart out for NUFC because you were my second choice”

• Oleg G

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

geordiefinn // Jun 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Is that so bad? it is 20 games a season. Some players in our team also play this number of games. But it is probably more like 25 a season and one season was really injured or something, no?

Anyway, lets hope he had some bad years on injury but maybe it will change? 🙂

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

@ Andy

Yeah, I was wrong it seems.

“I resumed individual training sessions at Rennes late last season and I could have played the last match if the club wanted.”

I feel better.

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

there is a rumour than derik lameass wants stturidge on loan and want s to give him no 9 shirt

• Cheick and Bake

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

wwjbd — i dont think theres any truth to that story .. we simply cant and will not offer more money than liverpool .. i just cant see it being true.. what do u think?

• Oleg G

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Actually only 2 injuries in these 5 years he was there. Not that horrible. I think that can happen to anyone.

during the 2008–09 season when, while playing with the France under-21 team, he suffered a torn hamstring injury.[8] The initial diagnosis of the injury required no surgery, however, in October, it was discovered that the injury was severe after club doctors revealed that a hematoma had formed around the hamstring.[9] Marveaux underwent surgery and, subsequently, missed five months. He returned to the team in May 2009 and appeared in the final three matches of the season.

….in a match against Derby Breton rivals Brest, Marveaux re-aggravated a groin injury that had been plaguing him during the campaign. The following day, it was reported that Marveaux would not return to action until 2011

• Toon1978

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Great interview by the lad. H.B.A and N’Zog have been playing quite a big part in getting these players at our club, maybe it is N’Zog trying to say sorry for them terrible remarks about NUFC and maye its a “please sign me up” plea, i don’t know maybe i am reading to much into it. I think he regrest leaving and realises the the mistake he made in leaving and his attitude towards the end of his time up here. The thing is, NZOG has many friends at the club now in his French pals and its probably sensible to say he wants to come here to link up with them. He seems to miss the city and the supporters and being stuck at Wigan for the last couple of years has made him realise what a mistake he made. Wigan can not even come close to our support and their club is no way near our stature. A culture shock for N’Zog may have worked in our favour. Get the kid signed up asap. Spend some bloody money Ashley mannnn.

• Andy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

WWJBD – sounds like a balotelli thing to do! In all seriousness though it is nice to hear some good stuff said about our club even if he is reading it off a sheet!

• Benton Toon Exile

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

WWJBD. I think you will find Liverpool would only offer him a 3 year contract. The Toon offered 5 years on the same money!

• WWJBD

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Cheick and Bake
    Am on the other side of the fence I reckon we are paying him more than they offered. We have a smaller squad so our wage cap for his position is possibly higher than LFC They have some very well payed players whereas most of ours are fairly low in comparison

I reckon he is on probably 15k more with us than what LFC offered

• Offkey

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Wish we did know the truth on the liverfool situation. I think it could be either of the two stories out….

1. You gave me more money and I have some friends here.
    or
    2. Liverfool did stall on the medical (wanted more info on his previous injury – maybe due to Carroll). He did not like this as he feels there is no issue and we moved in quick

• Andy

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Also so much for HBA being a troublesome lad. He seems to be making sure every french player he likes is joining us!

• WWJBD

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Andy haha spot on Balotelli would tell us like it is haha man do I love Balotelli 🙂

Benton is that what is was? Thought it was wages oh well same point though we werent his first choice haha

• sephir0

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Alrite lads! 😀

Happy Fathers Day!! To those who are dad’s, hope ur enjoying it… ive got a coffee reading about my football team, more than happy. 😀

Good interview from Marveaux, looks a top lad with a great attitude.

right, not liking the sturridge not a target nonsense lol hope thats just paper bullsheizer…. i will be amazed if we dont snap him up. i know ive bin a bit of a sturridge whore on ere, but thats because i believe that he would more than compliment what we are trying to do here, he fits the bill for what we need perfectley…imho.

p.s moved this over from last post bar the marveaux comment, didnt realise a new one was made. lol

• ArtyH

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I remember when Sir Les came to the toon, he had a very poor injury record. However when to toon took off that year 94-95 season or there abouts he played nearly every game. Injury prone players don’t like to play in poor teams but they do in good teams where they can look good. I just wonder who will be the first NUFC player to ” kiss the badge ” next season? Also how long will it be before Nolan does the same for W.H? Just a thought……..

1 2 3 13