It was a surprise on Friday night when Newcastle seemed to move like greased lightning to bring Sylvain Marveaux to Newcastle, and not only give him a medical, but also sign the player on a five year deal around 2:00 am Saturday morning.
Sylvain Marveaux in Newcastle dressing room
It wasn’t clear on Saturday morning whether the player had actually failed his medical at Liverpool, since he took it and Liverpool fans were awaiting word the free agent had been singed.
Bu it didn’t happen and Liverpool have said nothing, but the Newcastle medics were completely satisfied with Sylvain’s groin, which is what apparently bothered the Liverpool medical team.
But hey, credit to Newcastle for moving so fast when they saw their opportunity.
The player himself was reported yesterday morning in the Evening Chronicle, to be more than a little annoyed that Liverpool were inferring he had failed the medical – in fact they reported he was furious about it.
And the 25 year-old is adamant he did not fail the medical and is perfectly fit following groin surgery in February.
The 25 year-old told the French Daily L’Equipe last night:
“Frankly, those rumors aren’t anything,” “I am perfectly fit, and capable of playing again.”
“I resumed individual training sessions at Rennes late last season and I could have played the last match if the club wanted.”
“I am a little disgusted to read rumors like that because I know it could affect the rest of my career.”
Sylvain will have plenty of time to show the Liverpool club that they have missed out on an excellent player.
Newcastle will have three players coming back in pres-season from long injuries, and Sylvain will now join Frenchman Ben Arfa and England 21 star Dan Gosling on the comeback trail for the club on July 4th, when the lads report back for training.
It’s great to have Marveaux on Tyneside, and Newcastle are showing they can move very fast in the transfer market these days – when they have to.
Wonder when we’ll spend any real money in the transfer market?
For what it’s worth the rumors last night were that Newcastle had agreed a fee for Wigan’s Charles N’Zogbia and may be Charles could be the next player through the door.
They could simply be made-up rumors of course, but getting Charles back on Tyneside would be a good deal for the Magpies, even if they have to shell out £10M for the French International winger.