New Newcastle Signing Gives Interview – In English

Last Thursday when Sylvain Marveaux had taken his medical at Liverpool, he had no idea that at 2:00 am the following Saturday morning, he would sign on at Newcastle United.

Sylvain Marveaux – not worried about physical nature of English football

Apparently Liverpool were hesitant with the lad’s previous injury, which had kept him out of action since last October, and it seems the Merseyside club started to change Marveaux’s contract, and hesitated on personal terms too.

Newcastle heard about the situation and Liverpool’s hesitancy, and stepped in like greased lightning on Friday evening, brought the lad to Newcastle, gave the French U21 a stringent medical,  and then signed him on a long five year contract.

Apparently Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish was not pleased at all at what happened – so that’s good news.

😀

We criticize the club on a lot of things, but they are becoming very good and adept  in the transfer market, and can move so very quickly when they have to for good players.

Not only Newcastle fans were pleased with the way the club handled Sylvain’s rapid move, which came a day after the Demba Ba signing, but it seems the player himself was impressed at just how much Newcastle wanted him on Tyneside.

It helped that the 25 year-old is good friends with Hatem Ben Arfa, another terrifically skilled player on Tyneside.

Marveaux has talked today of the physical nature of football in the Premier League in England, and he seems completely undaunted by that.

Sylvain gave his first interview today in English, and that’s very good, and he had this to say to the local Newcastle press corp:

“It might take me a little bit of time to settle, but I don’t think it will take long,”“I speak some English so that will help me with my team-mates and living in the city.”

“I’ve been warned the English league is faster and more physical, but it does not worry me. I’m athletic and I’m looking forward to playing that style of football.”

“There will be a bit of adjustment needed, but I’ve got a full pre-season to prepare for the start of the league and I will make sure I work hard in that time to be in the best possible shape.”

“I know what happened to Hatem, but I’m not scared about being kicked either. I’m ready for that. Every European league is hard, I will not be intimidated, I will be prepared for everything.”

“I’m really pleased to be here and I have a really good feeling about coming here.” “It happened quite quickly in the end, but the thing that impressed me most about Newcastle United was how hard they tried to get me.”

“They made me feel wanted, the welcome I was given, and that is why I signed.” “I was in advanced talks with Liverpool but then they started to change the details of the contract.”

“They were causing problems and I wasn’t happy with what was happening. I was close to signing for them, but Newcastle came in and that was it, I signed for them instead. I did not fail my medical at Liverpool.”

“I do not have a problem with Liverpool. There is no vendetta. I’m looking forward to playing them, but I’m looking forward to playing every team in the Premier League.”

“When I realized I would leave Rennes at the end of the contract, I wanted to come to England and I feel this will be a very good move for me.”

“I’ve signed a five-year contract and I will do everything I can to help Newcastle be successful for those five years.”  “I believe I can cope with the move and excite the fans.”

There’s no doubt that Sylvain is a very good attacking player with good pace and technique, and that’s just the type of player  Newcastle fans love to see in the black and white shirt.

Marveaux has been watched by Newcastle over the last 18 months,  and he was still targeted by some big clubs, in spite of his inactivity for most of last season.

His contract at Rennes was running out at the end of this month – so he was available as a free transfer – so it was hardly surprising that some big clubs were in for him.

It certainly seems that Newcastle have signed a very good player in Sylvain,  and he seems a smashing lad too.

• Klatoon

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM

“That is my intention. I’m an attacking player and I like to entertain the supporters. I’m not scared about the physical side of things, I beat players with skill, not power and size.” – A real Bums-off-seats kinda player right there!

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Been watching clips of this guy on various sites and looks a good prospect. Cabaye is the one that excites me.
    Very neat and tidy and distributes well – he will be an asset for us. Please get Sturridge in as he is Englands future not the alcoholic wife beating long haired streak of P~~s.
    Keep the Faith

• P.I.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:40 AM

No points for second place 🙁

• AngerOfTheNorth

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Agreed Klatoon – a fast, skillful player that likes to attack and entertain. Plus he already speaks English, which lessens some of the worries of there being a “French clique”. Great signing!

• partizanovec

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Howay Ed! Keep the spirits up good man!

• The-Ciaran8

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Get well soon ED…Legend.

• Klatoon

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM

To all who don’t think D.Simpson should be 1st choice RB next season,how about Nedum Onuoha? Im certain he’s going back to Citeh . IMO he’s better than Danny (if we can set aside his loan affiliation to the mackems). What do you think?

• P.I.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM

@Klatoon

“To all who don’t think D.Simpson should be 1st choice RB next season,how about Nedum Onuoha?”

Yes. I’d like to see him come here even if he did spend a season at the unwashed. Decent player, fast, strong, and got youth on his side. Can play centre half aswell.

yeah i like him, would be a very decent shout. Not sure if there’s any interest in him though?

As for Marveaux he’s ticked all the right boxes so far, and im pleased that a few of the French lads already know each other. Will surely help to form an early bond within the squad. I just hope also that they live upto expectations.

• boyfromshields

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM

All our best wishes Bonny Lad!
    Thinking of you….
    From Australia

• wynsleap

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Yes – we’re very adept when it comes to triggering release clauses, taking Bosmans and players with doubtful injury records.
    The problem comes when we have to fork out hard cash for good fit players.

• kunal

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM

it’s funny how opinions about players change quickly
    andy carrol was the darling of tyneside and suddenly he is the
    the alcoholic wife beating long haired streak of P~~s.

• Sir Alan

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Marveaux or Jonas? Looks like them two will be battling it out for the position, esecially if we sign another winger on thne right (Barnetta) or if Barton plays there.

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

wynsleap. We have two months left to do that. Condemn the man on Sept 1st if we havent spent nowt.

• WWJBD

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I hope we arent forced to play Barton on the right again he was pretty bad at playing that position

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

@Kunal – Simple reason is he doesnt play for us anymore haha.

Same as Barton really, we see him as loyal and a little bit cheeky but turning his life around.

Every other teams supporters think he’s a vicious thug with half a brain haha!

• P.I.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM

@andy carrol was the darling of tyneside

Not sure he was ever the ‘Darling of tyneside’ like. You been watching too many chick flicks kid!

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM

23 Jun 2011 08:36:43
    8.5 million bid in the offing for chamakh of arsenal.

Taken from newcastlerumours. Probably not true but I wouldnt mind like.

• OttersPocket

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

wynsleap
    Regardless of a release cause Cabaye was still bought with hard cash!! Also Ba and Marvaeux would of had decent signing on fees. Be patient on the transfers its still very early, we have been luck this summer that we have been active early.

• ross armstrong

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

get well soon ed , nothing worst when your health acts up!! we all hope you make a speedy recovery and try to stay positive mate

• ross armstrong

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM

That marveaux seems a nice lad , just watched his video and he seems very happy to be here!!

has any1 ever watched him play??

the only one of the three signings ive watched is ba but cabaye and marveaux are meant to be a canny hand !! im so pleased ben arfa will have some pals here

• wynsleap

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Stuart – I’m sure we will spend some money but it’s how much of that still standing £35mill he’s prepared to utilise is what worries me.
    Have to say if the first three signings are everything theyr’e supposed to be (and fit) some further astute purchases where we have to spend a few bob would see us have great hopes for next term.

• OttersPocket

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Stuart
    I would rather take Bendtner to be honest.

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I don’t think we’ll spend the £35m this summer like but we should spend a good chunk of it.

Some needs to be kept aside for January imo just incase we have another bad run of injuries or a certain aspect of the team isnt working.

I would be very happy if we ended up spending around £25m this summer and kept £10m back for January.

Who knows what will actually happen though lol.

• Geordielad76

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

rumours are rife that jonas is joining liverpool for £7 – £8 million in the next week or so.

• ross armstrong

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:15 AM

HERES A QUESTION FOR YOUS LADS!!!!

i know none of us have a clue BUT in your own opinion who do you think so far out of our 3 signings will be the biggest hit at st james’s??

the player i think who is gonna shine is mr yohan cabaye , looks really really good!!! think he will fit straight in the middle for us !!! …

• Markaccus

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Good luck with everything Ed! I know roughly whats in store for you, as i had treatment for an accute form of leukaemia about 6 years ago. It’s rough but if you keep your chin up and be positive you can do it.

On the article, i’m excited by the players coming in, it’s a shame we’re losing some of the established names, but there must be more to it than just money, i think maybe one or two of them had too much sway in the dressing room. One more big foward and a left back i’d be happy.

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Same here like OttersPocket.

I know a few people on here dont like him because of his ego, but a good striker needs to think he’s gods gift, its what makes them great.

If he got a good run of first team football, which he doesnt get at Arsenal, he’d be class imo.

• P.I.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

@Stuart

Dont think there’s any truth to the Chamakh rumours mate. He’s 27. And besides his goals to game are pretty poor, 1 in 4 at both Bordeaux and The Arse.

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

@ross 25

Cabaye all the way like. Main man overall next season will be HBA like. If hes playing the withdrawn striker role I reckon he’ll get at least 15 goals next season.

• Markaccus

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

@ ross. I think Marvaux is the man who will surprise everyone, we seem to have a tradition of good french left sided players. Well, Ginola, Robert and Zog all gifted players.

• Stuart

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM

@P.I – 27?!? Jesus, I thought he was alot younger than that. Never mind lol.

• ross armstrong

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:22 AM

stuart lets just hope ben arfas injury is behind him mate

• davybtoon

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:23 AM

been looking at our sqaud n already in is looking good
    1 krul
    20 xisco out erding in
    21 routledge out barnetta in
    22 jose stay hopefully
    23 ntaylor looks likely
    24 vincente free
    25 new centre back

this dosent include gosling, vukic, ferguson, tavernier, abeid, airey who dont need to b in it as under 21
    and ive added players id like to see sign

• P.I.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM

@ross armstrong

I aint got no crystal ball or anything mate but i think Ba will be the biggest hit out of the three. Cabaye is the kid of fella who will be a big infulcnece but he’ll need time to find his feet and get into the rhythm of the league and the style of play. I think he’ll be like Gary Speed, after 6months – 1year he was superb.

If Ba gets in the goals early on he could be an instant hit. Hes got a lot of great attributes, i think the fact that we got him on a free detracts us from realising that he is genuinely a good player and would have been worth about 7-8million. Im really looking forward to seeing him in black and white.

• chris_g

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Best wishes Ed
    I’m a long time reader of this blog but I very rarely feel the need to post any comments. I just wanted to log on briefly at this time to wish you well and hope you make a full and speedy recovery from your illness.

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Kunal – none of my previous posts have ever been of a positive nature. As the fickle football supporter that I am – when he was banging the goals in he had my full support however when he dropped us in the shit (and he is to blame as much as anyone else) and left us at the last moment he went right down in my opinion. This blog is all about opinions and that is mine.
    Keep the Faith

• sheznufc

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The thing im a tad worried about is that he wont track back like guti does, i no he isnt the best tackler but he is always back there supporting jose, same on the right side, barton was always back supporting simpson.

• OttersPocket

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:56 AM

sheznufc
    Watching brief clips of him, it looks like he does track back, put in a few tackles and seemed to be helping out his full back.

• jonny_ringo13

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM

i cant wait to see this guy in a few weeks he looks immense

• max