The Greed Of Wayne Routledge

If a report in the Newcastle Journal this morning is accurate, then Wayne Routledge comes across as a greedy footballer, and shame on him.

Wayne Routledge – wants loyalty payment – give me a break

The Journal is reporting today that it’s not that QPR are not interested in still buying the 26 year-old player, which were the reports out yesterday.

No, the reason his move to QPR has broken down, is that Wayne is stalling, because he wants a loyalty payment from Newcastle,  and that’s based on the fact he did not ask for a transfer.

That’s from a player who has been at the Tyneside club for only 18 months, and spent the last 6 months on loan at QPR, and he’s also let everybody know he wants to join QPR permanently.

Wayne played only 36 times for Newcastle and this year he played 19 times for QPR, and he wants Newcastle to pay him a loyalty payment?

But he didn’t ask for a transfer and is arguing he is due some payment from Newcastle, which the club are unwilling to pay – for a player who has been at the club for such a short length of time.

We should shame Wayne into moving without the payment, because if this news is true, he epitomizes the greedy footballer of today who doesn’t seem to have a clue what it’s like working in the real world – because they have been so pampered throughout their careers.

With all the big money in football these days, it must be rather easy to become greedy – but you also have to stay ethical too.

At the end of the day – that’s the only real thing any  person has – their ethics about following their own conscience about what’s right and what’s wrong.

We don’t want to be too harsh on Wayne, because these moves are usually made by their agents, but we think he will receive short shift from Newcastle fans – because they do live in the real world.

If indeed this is true and Wayne is behind wanting the payment – then shame on Wayne Routledge.

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM

he’s a championship level footballer… period. quicker he leaves the better. and promote inman lualua or moyo in his place.

• GeordieToon89

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM

a think he’l end up at birmingham

• stuckdownsouth

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Don’t blame him he’s just trying to get the best deal, but agree with the club not paying it!

• WWJBD

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:55 AM

This may not be true in all fairness WR has never struck me as that type of player more likely his agent or its just spin from the might NUFC bull department

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

development of Izaguirre…

“I am aware that Manchester United and Celtic agreed for a meeting in July,” said Izaguirre in Honduras. “We have to see what happens if I stay or I go.

“I have to confirm it’s 100% true that Manchester United were following me and were interested in me in January.”
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Quotes of the week

“It was Alex Ferguson directly who made contact with the Celtic directors.

“I think it was the time when they didn’t close the negotiations with Patrice Evra. As far as I am aware Celtic refused to sell me as we were concentrating on the league.

“Regarding possibilities, I prefer to stay silent as I did when Celtic signed me. This is a job of my agent.

“If I have the chance I welcome the move with open arms. If that is the case I will thank God and I will take my opportunity.”

could be a sign that Enrique might have opted to stay with us. And so clubs are switching targets.

• kilcline

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Let him rot in the reserves.

• tom tomb

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

@5 If that is him staying silent, what’s he like when he opens his gob?

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I think he will join west ham

• toonfan09

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

why shouldnt he get his payment he never asked to leave the toon he made it pretty clear when he was sent out on loan that he wanted to stay here fair play to the lad I say could any of u say u would do any different

• Thump

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I’m not sure it’s worth thinking about, Tom.

I don’t understand what that had to do with Jose… Unless Man U and Celtic were in for him all along and all references to Liverpool were massive, massive typos.

On topic: if true I’m sure Hoots would have him. Unless there was a loyalty clause written into his contract – do one, kidda.

• Klatoon

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM

He’s a journeyman footballer who hasn’t/neverwill get emotionally attached to any club so you cant blame him for trying to get as much out of all his transfers.IMO we should keep him,could play in the Carling cup and early rounds of the FA cup

• mr.T...iote

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

quite disapointed s**deland are close to getting gardener coz hes the only english lad weve bin linked to lol n we’ll end up having no english lads in owa startn 11

• Thump

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

@toonfan09; So if you leave your job after 18 months for an up and coming competing business, you ask for a bonus payment for being so “loyal”?

• Rotonda heights

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

No more sickening than when barton made us pay a massive signing off fee to city as well as a signing on fee to us !!!!!! I love the club…my ass!!

Fat sham got a lot of players on huge wages (Smith, barton, Enrique etc) before Ashley realised he had been seriously burnt first by fat sham and then by the incompetence of Wise.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

gardener no loss at all. what has killed us is a terminal lack of speed.

• mr.T...iote

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=18649 wat do yous think of this lads,, if he signed they shud try to anounce him with barnetta or matuidi just so fans dont question our ambition but still hes a decent player n he’ll be good backup

• @Mr.T

Staylor/Willo and Simmo will be in the line up, we havent been linked with a Right back except for Guy Demel. Staylor and Willo have proven they can do a Job with Colo…So cant see them being replaced this Window…

• toonfan09

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

thump

the point is he hasnt asked to leave he wants to stay its newcastle who are getting rid of him he hasnt asked to go to qpr and to be honest if i thought i could get the money i would and anyone he says otherwise is a liar or stupid

• @Mt T (16)

I cant see that happening… surely we wont bring in another left winger….let alone 3 more midfielders…..

• mr.T...iote

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM

rotonda fair enuf no speed killed us last season but what’ll kill us this season will be having no sluggers to drag us through games like nolan n barton

• giimps

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Strange how nobody batted an eye when the exact same thing happened with Joey Barton from Citeh, we ended up paying the loyalty payment because citeh were not prepared to.
    Wayne routledge has in his contract (that was drawn up by the club) that if he leaves and he did not ask for the transfer, he is due a loyalty payment, matterless of how long he has been here or where he has been playing his football.
    If it is in his contract he should get the dosh.
    @Thump not really relevent, if however, you left your job to go to another employer and you had it written in your contract that you got paid for any untaken holidays, and your employer refused to pay it because you were leaving/or they wanted you to leave…..you would be upset too, would you not?
    I would have kept Wayne and used him as a second striker, hes not a winger but he could play that role i think.
    He`s gotta be better than some of our strikers as he has pace and trickery, put that in the box ara and he becomes a different animal.
    Just my opinions though…..feel free to pick holes!!!
    HWTL

• Thump

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Doesn’t matter if he wanted to go or not, we owe him nothing.

• Thump

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Oh, you know his contract, giimps? Is there an online version I could read perchance?

• BigKirky

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Of late I try not to go on chronicle site much cos its run of the mill stories and always highly contradicting content. Only yesterday with the chronicle and the journal, one is saying we’re going for bangurah yet the other says its been rubbished? Make ur minds up!

The worst one I can remember was when we were linked with Beckham before. Im sure it was the front page said he was coming, yet the back page said he wasn’t!! Yes, that ridiculous!

I hope a couple of signings are announced today! I need my signing fix for this week 🙂

• BigKirky

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Its gone all quiet on the barnetta and matuidi front. Is it the quiet before the storm, or have they fizzled out? I hope it’s the former!

• Nick 69

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:43 AM

if hes asking for a loyalt payment it cos it is written into his contract, therefore if thats the case then we should pay him up, if its not the case then he can get stuffed. But if it is in his contract then its the clubs own fault, and they dont have an argument against it really

• gregdog

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

bigK

i worked for the EC for sometime and the 2 sets of journos never communicate….silly really as they sit feet away from one another…i think they try and get what they think is a better STORY and fcuk what the other says. you would think they would print facts but i guess know one knows them until the deals are done until which time we have to carry one with what is silly season…..after all what would we talk about

• giimps

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Virtually every player has this in their contract, and it is very common practice for players to “let it be known” they want a move, but not put in a transfer request so they dont lose their “loyalty bonus”.
    Normally, the club who are buying the player will give the player a signing on fee to equalise the loss of a loyalty bonus if the player puts in a transfer request.
    Its been happening and reported for years and there have been a few high profile ones in the public eye, (Joey, Ronaldo and probably Fabregas this window).
    This is just how agents ensure their player is getting the best deal and are not getting “screwed over ” by clubs

• ASTORIA

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Sorry Ed, I disagree. Good on him for standing his ground, he didn’t ask to leave and is being pushed out. Clearly the club do not care about players they want out off the door and off the wage bill. If it’s in his contract, then good on for standing up to the ‘board’. Too many on here are starting to believe all of the things Ashley and Llambias tell them! WAKE UP!!!

• Spike

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I work quite a bit with employment contracts, and if this is what is written into it then that is what is due.

However, most employers would at least include a get out clause. For example, “the player is to be awarded a loyalty bonus upon completion of the term of the contract” would mean that if the player signed a 5 year deal, the bonus would be payable at the end of the 5 years. The chances of a player still being there at the end of the five years are minimal so the likelyhood of the bonus actually being paid is reduced. Doesn’t matter if it is the player or the club that ends the contract, if they are not there then then don’t get the money.

• Angryman jammydodger crusher

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Enrique need to make his mind up!
    Would love him to stay but if he doesn’t want to, he needs to come out and state as much! I think Pardew has been quite naughty in his yappin re Enrique! Not heard from him, won’t take calls bla bla bla, we don’t nee to know that and it smacks of the club trying to turn us fans against Enrique!

None of them are coming out of this smelling of roses. It needs resolved! So fat mike knows how much more money he can ‘invest’ somewhere!!

• gregdog

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM

astoria

i had my MA rat last night….and was astounded to hear one or to mugs starting to believe what MA is doing is for the good of the toon. he is only looking after his investment nothing else until which time he can sell…then hell be off like a shot….just my opinion so lets no body get upset

• GeordieDan

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:25 AM

gregdog>

I believe that. A while ago I asked why there’s always so many typos and mistakes when you read the Chronicle’s “articles” and I was told they do proof-read what’s been written, but only AFTER they’ve published it!

How pointless is that? Amateurs who don’t communicate and have lose to investigative journalism skills. No wonder they come out with so many cracking ‘exclusives’ and contradictory BS.

• Flair:20

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM

A little harsh, I feel. What we need to remember is that Wayne Routledge is a human being with a life outside of football. He joined us on a long-term contract and relocated to the area from London. Then, just when he’s settled and seems to be enjoying his life and career, a new manager comes in and discards him – suddenly he’s forced to up sticks again. In my opinion, he’s been treated a little harshly and is entitled to some level of loyalty payment / compensation. Quite how much, however, is up for debate…

• Spike

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM

You could also title this article as The Greed of Mike Ashley.

If Routledge doesn’t get the money owed to him, who does? It wouldn’t pay for a nights losses at the casino

• geoff777

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM

More dirty tricks from the NUFC board.

If it’s in Routledge’s contract then he’s entitled to the payment.

They recently smeared Sol Campbell because he collected a months wages after the season had finished.
    Campbell was entitled to it in his contract.

Sometimes the greed of Ashley is embarrassing.

• geoff777

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I really don’t like that you’ve gone with this title and are siding with the club on this Ed.

• Brutooon

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

do you guys realise that QPR is that SMART !!!!

he “use” Routledge so that they can get to the Premierleague and when they achieve it, they totally forget about routledge !!!

• GlennA

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM

He’s not being greedy, he’s just asking for what he is legally obliged from his contract, why should Wayne Routledge and his family lose out on a few 100k or whatever it is to help a Billionaire become richer and not pay him what he’s due? When you worked did you ever turn down any money/bonuses to let your boss have more for him and his family instead of your own?

• frost-nufc

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM

It aint Routledge thats greedy, he just want the club to honor the contract they put in front of him. If i was pushed out of my job, i would do the same and so would you and everyone else.

I find it annoying that more and more people seems to be blind to ashleys treatment of players and staff. Whoever they want rid of they try to do it with minimun cost, acting like snakes, bad-mouthing players and portraying the likes of Sol C. and Wayne R. as greedy when everything is crystal clear on the contract what they are entitled too. Wayne didnt ask for this, he was genuinly happy to be here.
    Its the board thats being disqusting in how they treat players, not the other way around.
    Ofc this is only one mans bitter thoughts about it all 😛