Malveaux – It Was Contract Issues With Liverpool

New signing Sylvain Marveaux, has given a very interesting interview with the Evening Chronicle today.

Sylvain Marveaux – contract issues at Liverpool

The 25 year-old is obviously delighted to sing ion at Newcastle, and he has talked about always wanting to play in England’s Premier League, which is very popular in France.

And later in the interview he says it wasn’t the medical that he had the problem with Liverpool, but when they wanted to change his contract.

Sylvain talked to the Evening Chronicle today:

“They’ve had players like David Ginola and Laurent Robert in the past who have been very popular – and of course legends like Alan Shearer playing here.”“

It is impossible for them not to court publicity because of the vast size of the club.” “I have always enjoyed watching the Premier League from a very young age, it is very captivating. I still watch it now.”

“In France they show the Premier League all of the time at a weekend so I already know quite a lot about the teams and what to expect.”

“I know the players very well because of that and I am glad to be here to play against some big-name players.”

Sylvain had a torrid time of it less than a couple of weeks ago,  when it was expected he would sign at Liverpool,  when things seemed to come to a grinding halt, with Liverpool reported to be unsure about the Frenchman’s medical, and especially if his groin had healed fully.

But Sylvain has played down suggestions that it was anything to do with the medical, and he said Liverpool wanted to change things in his contract, which is what he wasn’t too happy about, and brought about the delay.

Sylvain talked about what must have been a very uncomfortable time for him at Liverpool:

“It was a rough day when I signed but I am very, very happy to be here.” “Newcastle came to me six months ago – and they always told me how much they wanted me. I appreciated that.”

“When I came here I got a wonderful welcome and everybody here was happy to see me sign here.” “I was in contact with Liverpool too. I was really close to signing for them. The story about the medical is not true, only a rumor.”

“What happened was there were some changes in the contract from the first time we had a discussion.” “I decided to come here. It won’t be a grudge match when we play Liverpool – it’s not revenge or anything.”

“If anything I am just looking forward to making my Premier League debut when we play Arsenal.” “I’ve known for over a year that I was going to be available on a free transfer.”

“I also knew I would be leaving France and during these past 12 months I really wanted to play in England. People have told me the style is different, but all I want to do is enjoy my football.”

Whatever happened at Liverpool it was a tremendous coup for Newcastle, and they signed the Frenchman at around 2:00 am that early Saturday morning, and it shows that Newcastle can move very quickly indeed, when they have to.

And this transfer market is proving as exciting we could have expected and there;s still over two months to go.

• Get in Marv!

Hope you become a legend Like Laurent Robert… God i miss that Guy taking our free kicks… a Rocket of a Shot (just ask bernard) and a Magician with Freekicks. Absolute Legend!

• Souness is a Criminal for letting Robert leave the club.

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM

agree hazard wud both tough to get but cardoza n taarbt wudnt

• grumpy_old_sod

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Second choice doesn’t feel good, however on a positive, at least Liverpool fancied him too. I hope he produces the goods on the pitch. Any real news on other signings?

• Hugh Jorgan

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM

hazard? might as well mention messi and ronaldo. lol.

• Eastander

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

taarabt is the only one of those who is probably a potential, i mean you’d probably be looking at 10m for hazard will be at least 23ish and cardozo about 15m… thats 48m! i’m sorry but just no

• Eastander

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM

for taarabt*

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Whats with this winger dude from PNE?

• Tom1664

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Taraabt’s attitude stinks as well, we could do much better.

• @Hugh Jordan

bring him on for the last 5 minutes of every game, and start trying to win as many free kicks near the opposition goal?

It could work 😛

• dazza

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Hazard has a younger brother who plays for Lens. Probably more realistic.

• LGFUAD21

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Hazzard is a ludicrous suggestion. Last time I heard Arsenal were in for him.

Cardozo has a phenomenal goal scoring record. And appears to still have the fitness. He’s 28 though.

And Taarabt would surprise me. Considering his attitude and the amount of buzz around him i would of thought we would have heard rumours about this somewhere.

I reckon if anything we can expect Erdinc or Barnetta to sign next

• I dont know why people even bother suggesting we have a chance with players like Hazard and Adam Johnson….

• geoff777

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Dirty binmen trying to do a sneaky one with the contract.

Brilliant that he didn’t stand for it and decided to wax lyrical and sing ion for the famous Newcatsle club.

• grumpy_old_sod

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Tarrabt, championship player, who might be able to cope in the premier league. Arrogant enough to say he will be looking to play champions league football.
    Confidence is one thing, experience is another. Tarrabt needs to prove himself first, learn to be humble and only then will he be ready for champions league.

• Teamstoof

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

This is a grat signing, but stiull the lad wanted to go to pool, we were only his seconed choice….

But i am glad we got him in black and white

• Tom1664

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:23 PM

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m really looking forward to seeing him, Benny boy and Jonas drifting around in the hole in front of Cabaye & Tiote next season feeding balls through and generally causing havok!

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:24 PM

@Geoff777

“decided to wax lyrical and sing ion for the famous Newcatsle club”

Hahaha Ed’s phrases are class like. ‘Wax lyrical’ is awesome, real old-school.

Love to see Marveaux waxing lyrical.

• ASTORIA

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Hope he has not just come here for the extra money??? Doubt it as Ashley and Llambias obvioulsy do not like greedy player!!!

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:26 PM

never seen marveux play it will be very interesting to see what kind of NUFC team will play against arsenal with the players like ben arfa cabaye ba Gosling in the squad it will be very fast passing game i guess

• @Roshan

Im guessing a highly populated french Speaking team.

• samigee14

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

this lad will either be a huge success or he will flop,like every other player we sign

• YohanBenTiote

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Ecellent player. I looked at some of his stuff on YouTube and he looks very promising!

One player I think we really need to think about signing is Ajax’s Miralem Sulejmani. He looks unreal I suggest you look on Youtube at this guy hes like Messi!

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM

@samigee14

Good input there. Really going out on a limb with your prediction…

• Eastander

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM

P.I. you cant say he’s wrong… he’ll either be good or bad, he’s good at his predictions mind 😛

• WWJBD

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:38 PM

P.I.
    Hahaha well said mate

• BigKirky

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Pardew was on a plane to Portugal last week wasn’t he. Wonder if that ties in with the benfica deal?

But I can’t see hazard signing. Totally out of our price range never mind all the champions league clubs that wud want him. Wud be mint tho.

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I think it might be Lee Dixon?

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM

cardoza record is 101 goals in 168 games he wud only b 32 at the end of a 5 year deal as he as only jus turned 28

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM

n thats jus benfica his whole career is 171goals in 295games

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

anyone kno if mounir el hamdaoui is any good from ajax been told he can leave

• LGFUAD21

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM

@davybtoon

it is a fantastic goal record. and goals win games.

We would have laced so much higher if we had scored more this season.

We lost too many games after dominating matches but not extending the lead far enough. It was frustrating at times watching us be all over teams but failing to score

• Andy

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hope Saylor stays fit this season as i think it is make or break for him as our first choice cb really. If he can’t play a full season injury free we should be looking at other cb’s. If he does stay fit all season i feel that now he’s playing in a settled partnership he will excel and will hopefully live up to his potential

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Pards said he wants all signings in before pre season looks like we should have a very busy week ahead of us cos we need atleast 4 then if we sell replace with better quality

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM

think the club didnt expect to get marveux which means we may have been reassing r options

• PotugueseTOON

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Cardozo ???? be serious, he is good here, but in PLeague ?? don t think so….

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Are hutton and bassong up for free???????

• tom tomb

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Geoff at 15- hilarious!! The award for crack of the day goes to Geoff777!

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

We have to go for Seydou Doumbia!! His goal-scoring record is amazing and he’s still only 23! Remember way back when Tiote recommended 2 Ivorian players. One was Gervinho and the other was Doumbia, we went after Gervinho, so thatcould mean that we are also targeting Doumbia