Tavernier Hoping For First Team Chance Next Season

A good interview today with 19 year-old Newcastle defender James Tavernier.

James Tavernier – wants to push on next season

Time seems to have flown by, ever since the lads played their final game on Sunday, May 22nd and the squad will report back to Benton next Monday to begin pre-season training.

That’s the day my wife Madeline leaves for a five week vacation in Newcastle, but I will not be with her this year.

It turns out James Tavernier has been keeping himself very fit over the summer, and should report back next Monday in tip top shape.

The Bradford-born 6’1″ tall youngster has his eyes on first team football next season, and there’s nothing much wrong with that.

James was brought back early from his very successful loan spell at Gateshead earlier this year, and was on the bench in 6 of Newcastle’s final 8 league games.

James played 18 times for Gateshead earlier in the year, and received rave reviews,  and Alan Pardew will now  have to gauge the lad this summer, but we expect Tavernier to remain on Tyneside, and fight for a first team place.

The alternative is that Pardew could send him out on loan to get first team games.

James  has made two first-team starts in the Carling Cup for Newcatsle, and this is what the youngster told the Newcastle web-site today:

“I had a couple of weeks of just chilling out and doing nothing, but then even though I’m away from the place I’ve been doing extra fitness work so I’m at my peak when I come back onto the scene next week.”

“Then hopefully I can go to America and really push on from there.”

“I’ve been doing a fair bit of running, mainly. It’s just important to keep fit, and I’ve been in the gym at the same time to get stronger because it’s a very competitive game. You’ve got to be strong – you can’t be weak.”

“And you’ve got to be fit to get up and down the field. That’s what modern left-backs and right-backs do. If you look at Dani Alves, he is practically on the right wing all the time and he’s always up and down the field.”

“You’ve got to have great stamina to do that – but I want to be like that so I’ve been doing everything I can to give me the best possible chance over the summer.”

James certainly seems to have the right attitude, and it would be good if one or two youngsters could break though next season to the Newcastle first team, much like 19 year-old Shane Ferguson did last season.

Tavernier could be one of the lads who does just that.

• davybtoon

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:30 PM

will b first choice right back after pre season this lads brilliant

• alex84

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM

great to see the youth pushing through!!

• Eastander

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:32 PM

if he’s pushing himself to be able to be the same type of player as dani alves fair play to him!

• roshan MAGPIE

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I simpson will be challenged to keep his possition by Gosling and tavaneir

• geoff777

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Great attitude.
    He’s chosen a quality player to emulate.

I hope he impresses Pardew and makes the squad.

• Milner

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Is he primarily a CB, who can also play RB? If so, then lets hope he has some pace. It’d be good to see Simpson challenged for his position, cos I dont think we’ll buy a new RB as Simpson is supposedly “coming of age” and might be considered more stable than starting next season with an ENTIRELY new team.

If Tavernier can challenge Willo for his spot too, i’d be happy.

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM

@Milner

Tavernier is a right back, havent heard of him ever playing centre half to be honest.

Pace is one the biggest parts of his game. Apparently hes one of the fastest at the club.

• LowFellMag

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Watched him at gateshead the lad is class adding great competition in the squad

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM

can he only play ctr half or can he play right full aswell!

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

sorry p.i. had that wrote b4 ur comment was in.

• burnsie

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM

MARCO PAPA PLAYED FOR CHICAGO FIRE LAST NITE DAVY B SO THAT RUMOUR IS BULLSHIT……..ATLEAST UNTIL PRE SEASON STARTS ANYWAY MATE.

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

@Boom Boom

No apologies mate, we’re all toon fans here..

• JP...from The Rock

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I prefer this kid over Simpson

• gorskino10

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Better at defending that Simpson, he doesnt just backoff and let the player cut to byline/or inside of him, Tav stops them, Hope he has a good preseason.

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM

@ burnsie what you on about did i miss something there marco pappa?

• LowFellMag

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM

2nd that jp

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM

why does nobody like homer simpson sorry meant danny DOH! ha ha must be because hes shit ha ha ha.

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM

i hope anybody who plays in that mls is not coming here i watched that tripe last night its an embarasment the standard is fn terible i could play in that league meself!

• P.I.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM

@Boom Boom

I dont reckon Simpson is shit mate. He’s steady away, nothing spectacular, but still learning his role and his duties. Yeah i think there’s times when he was exposed and made to look average (im thiking Lennon’s equaliser) but he gives 100% and his workrate is good.

Im all for giving him another season to prove his worth. And like someone mentioned before, to get another replacement in would almost be like starting with a whole new team. We need there to be atleast 5 from last years starting 11 in for next season otherwise it’ll be too much to ask for them to gel.

Krul
    Simspon Collo Taylor New Left Back?
    Tiote (New midfielder)
    N’zogbia? Cabaye Marveaux
    Ben Arfa
    Ba

that team above would have 5 of the old starting 11 (and im not counting Ben Arfa because hes been out for so long and only played 4 games it will be like having a new player in there)

Im still holding out hope for Nzogbia, and i would love either Edrinc or Sturridge to sign, either would be great, Sturridge gets the vote out of preference (obviously)

• Drona

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM

If he wants to emulate Dani Alves then we have a gem in our hands. Hope he pushes Simpson out. Simmo has been drinking and partying alot recently. Following him on twitter and he uploads loads of pictures of him in clubs and all.

• gorskino10

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Newcastle approach Preston for Treacy.
    Newcastle boss Pardew revives bid for Villa playmaker Ireland.

Nice to see news on 2 very average players we want to buy 🙁

• DanNUFC

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:37 PM

P.I

that team also has 12 players

• Felipe

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Although he is a RB he played all last pre season and both carling cup games at CH so can’t say he hasn’t played there. Don’t think we can say he’s better than Simpson based on that and his form at Gateshead but obviously it will be fantastic if he does progress and push Simpson. Think Simpson is a good player for £750k out of the manure academy even if he was deemed surplus there. Is he the best RB in the prem? NO! But he could be best outside the top 5. Lennon has skinned some pretty good RB’s in his time so don’t think we can judge Smpson on that.

• Thump

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:07 PM

No chance of him being first choice in the next 2 or 3 seasons. He hasn’t impressed me at all when I’ve seen him play so I’m not holding my breath for him.

Hope I invoke sods law with that, though.

• Mags

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Seen Tav play 3 or 4 times and he has impressed. Him and Fergie stood out when we played the Accies last season. His attitude is spot on too.

• max

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

i hope he will be better than simpson..