Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has today said Newcastle United are not finished in the transfer market this summer – well that’s good to hear.
Alan Pardew – one or two more players to come in
Newcastle have brought in three players so far, and Kevin Nolan has left the club to play in England’s second division with relegated West Ham United.
The Evening Chronicle is reporting Newcastle are still after a left-sided player and a striker, and expect at least one new player to be on Tyneside before the team starts their American tour next month.
Swansea City left back Neil Taylor should still join the club, once the contract issue is sorted out with Swansea, but Neil will be fighting for a first team place, and will back up whoever is the first choice left-back next season.
If the very long running Enrique saga ever ends, Neil will either back up Jose, or Jose’s replacement.
Pardew told the local Newcastle local press today:
“We’re all looking forward to getting back to work next Monday.” “The squad is looking healthy and, hopefully, there are still one or two to come.”
“They won’t be in before July 4, but we hope to get one in before the tour of America – and there could well be one after the tour.”
“We are still looking to get another striker – whether or not they will wear No 9, we will have to see.”
Note to Alan – Get Daniel Sturridge and give the lad the number 9 shirt.
We hate to bring this up again, but Newcastle have spent a total of net zero so far this summer in the transfer market, and we were told that the full £35M Andy Carroll would be invested back into the club – whatever that really means.
Weren’t we told that – or was that another dream I had about Newcastle?
Maybe we’ll get a clarification of that, if the transfer outlay this summer is again seen to be fairly small on a net basis, and they will have to address that if some significant money is not seen to have been spent this summer.
If the club didn’t say that the Carroll cash would be reinvested, then that would be different, but that’s not what happened.
And come to think of it it was Pardew who said the money would be reinvested and didn’t he also say Andy Carroll was going nowhere last January?
We still think Newcastle will spend some money this summer, but the outlay may not be as much as we had hoped for, but it will be interesting to see what the net spend turns out to be, and we’ll keep a check on that.
The last couple of weeks has seemed a little disappointing, but perhaps that’s only because Newcastle seemed to get off to such a fast start with three players being brought in in during the first 17 days of June.
Surely we’ll see more than a couple of players brought in over the remainder of the transfer window, which after all still has two months to run, and especially if Jose Enrique is on his way this summer.