Could Xisco Finally Be On His Way?

Interesting news today that Deportivo la Coruna want to do a permanent deal for Newcastle striker Xisco.

Xisco – Deportivo want to take him back

The reports are coming out of Spain, but of course Xisco will be at training on Monday morning in Newcastle, because  he is still contracted to the club  for another two years, after signing from Deportivo for £5.7M three years ago.

But it’s been a disastrous financial deal for the Magpies, and the Spanish U21 International is simply not good enough.

And that’s the huge chance you take when you pay out big money for a player and sign him to a five year deal at £50K/week, and the lad is untested in the world’s top football league.

Xisco made just 9 first team appearances with one goal for Newcastle, which he scored in his debut against Hull City in September of 2008 – and that was the first game after Kevin Keegan had left the club, partly because Xisco was signed without the manager having been informed about it.

Of course Deportivo were relegated from the Spanish First Division last season, and they have probably already spent the £5.7M they received from Newcastle  for the player three years ago,  and will hardly have much money to take the 25 year-old back to his former club.

Deportivo  President Augusto Cesar Lendoiro would like to open negotiations with Newcastle to take Xisco back, and Newcastle will have to decide whether it’s worth saving around £5M on his wages over the next  two years and take only a minimal fee to get the deal done.

It probably is,  but of course the big problem is that Xisco has every legal right to refuse the transfer, and remain a Newcastle player for the next two years, and get £5M in return for that.

That’s always the potential problem when you sign a player to big wages over a long period of time – when they are untested – and then turn out to be simply not good enough.

• Andy-NUFC

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thank God, he’s a plank of wood and it will ree up wages for other players i.e. N’zogbia.

• WWJBD

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

They can’t afford his wages so it won’t happen

• nufcgaz687

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:21 AM

hopefully we should start to see some players move on now the window is open now ie smith perch

• roshan MAGPIE

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

hope we get rid of him

• cousto

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I still think this lad didn’t get a fair crack of the whip.
    He can’t be any worse than Ranger, McLoven or Ameobi, we should at least give him a shot in the new setup, never know, might be a good signing after all.

• geoff777

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:36 AM

McLoven doesn’t get a fair crack either.

I think our new passing style will suit him.

• supervil

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:45 AM

McLoven doesn’t get a fair crack of the whip? He’s been in the first team for 3 years… last year showed he really isn’t good enough. I love the guy and he was unbelievable in the Championship, but he doesn’t bring enough to the table.

• FootballShirtsUnited

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:47 AM

buy your new toon shirt for £29.99 only at
    PUMA Newcastle United Home Shirt 2011/12 Name&Number

• Andy-NUFC

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Lovenkrands? Imo he’s awful, championship player at best.

• Marty-Toon

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM

XISCO for the Nr 9 Shirt 🙂

• Marty-Toon

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Scored on first appearance,never really got a chance after that.
    Probably could have come good and better than Strolla if he got a run like he does.
    Maagers don`t seem to rate him though.

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Theres got to be a reason for that Marty. I heard he’s even lazier than Ranger in training like, his attitude apparently stinks.

• MrToon

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM

i did post this yesterday but because its been raised again. I think lovenkrands could be a better player next year with a new style of play and balls threaded through. I think he can finish, he was just never suited to the direct approach.

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM

@Mr Toon – I agree, his style of play will suit our new pacey passing game.

I can see him being used as an impact sub next season if hes still here like.

• Sav

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I wish someone wouldn’t give me a fair crack of the whip like that – 50k a week for sitting on myarse? Do me a favour, the kid’s not good enough and in that context, he’s the luckiest lad going – and he knows it full well or he’d have gone by now.
    Keegan resigned because of the principle of the manager having no say and as it turns out, Xisco has been a monthly reminder to Ashley that KK was right. Serve him right if Xisco hangs on another 2 years and hoovers up another 5 million. Ouch!

• Irie-Magpie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Morning lads’ (and lasses, just in case any on) I think the verdict is still out on this one, watched him twice and he look the part just never gotten a proper chance IMO.

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

geoff777:
    We have a new passing style? Where did you see this then? FIFA 11?

If isco was any good he would have played more than 9 times, there has been plenty managers who didnt rate him based upon what they saw EVERY day in training. Lets not forget he was that little scouting maestro Dennis ‘Poison Dwarf’ Wise who srecommended him (probably from FIFA 09 no doubt). Enough said.

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:16 AM

By the way, when I wrote ‘isco’ its becasue the letter P was stuck.
    Spanish shite, get rid. I will drive him to the airport myself.

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM

What you on about Lynxie?

Of course we’re going to have a new passing style this season. Shorter passing and keeping the ball low, alot of pass and move.

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Irie Magpie:
    Please tell me, which two occasions did you see him and he ‘looked the part’? Each time he has been on th epitch, the only part he looks for me is that of an impostor. And a bad one at that.

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Hes only once looked decent for us like. Against Villa where he set up AC for a goal.

Unfortunately that 5 seconds of class has cost us quite alot of money haha!

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Sorry Stuart, I didnt realise you were party to our tactics at this stage. Of course I hope you are correct, but I am still holding out for someone who can hold the ball up better than shola, to give us another dimension. I would be absolutely delighted if your vision of Total Football as the new reincarnation of 1974-style-Holland-upon-Tyne comes true……..
    However, the 1974 Holland team were not managed by Alan Pardew. Hmmmmmm. Houston, we have a problem………

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I’m not party to our tactics, AP has done a few interviews where he’s said how we’re going to play next season.

Also if you look at the players brought in you can tell we arent going to be playing hoof it up the pitch longball dross anymore.

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I love this blog. I am now filled with bubbling confidence. We now have a passing style, despite the fact that Danny Guthrie is still in the squad. Sorry, let me update that to a ‘pacey’ passing style, despite the fact that Shola is still in the squad. And we dont need to find a new Striker because Xisco looks the part. Twice. In training. Oh and (I agree with Stuart over this) 5 seconds thing against a demoralised Villa) Eeeeeeh lad, its great this. Roll on August. ha ha ha

• Irie-Magpie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM

@22
    If he’s that bad then maybe he should retire but do believe he has some footballing skill in him if not a striker then maybe on the wing or midfield!

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Lynxie mate, be miserable if you want, not my problem.

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM

@Irie

why would he retire because he’s sh1te when he could still get £50k a week to do sod all lol.

• Lynxie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Stuart, I am not miserable, far from it, I am grinning like a cheshire cat reading this man its great.
    Xisco man, he is utter pants and the luckiest lad alive. Its a hoot how people on here seem to think that a happy ending is coming out of this shoddy saga. This is not the sequel to ‘Goal 3’, its real life, and sometimes shite players remain shite and end up playing for Santo Domingo blind school reserves or wherever the hell Albert Luque is now LOL………..

• Benji84

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I still cant believe we scored with such a crap forward line I am praying that we get a few more decent strikers to piss of lovenpants and Shola

• Irie-Magpie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM

@29
    True.. so true… don’t get me wrong I know he’s not good enough but just want him to be given a fair chance bring him and if we can, re negotiate his contract and maybe this time try to loan him out in the lower tiers or the SPL just to try and integrate him to some aspect of the English game! Or am I talking out of my arse?

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I think that chance has been and gone like Irie.

Theres clearly something wrong with his attitude. I mean, we sold AC in Jan and instead of at least bringing Xisco onto the bench for abit of cover we shipped him out.

I just want to get him off the wage bill as soon as possible.

Unfortunately Deportivo won’t be able to pay his wages so if we really want rid of him we’d have to pay half his wages or something for the next two years until his contract here would run out.

• Irie-Magpie

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM

All else fails we could always take a hit out on him to get him off our pay bill. Whatever happens Nufc will be better for it.

• Benji84

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hey im throwing this out there and I know Ed might want to do this how about if he is so passionate about a certain U21 player he wants why dont we get a massive NUFC shirt with Sturridge name with the number 9 on the back on the angle of the North!!!! How cool would that be and also get the whole world to say we want you to come to NUFC buddy Ashley cough it up!!!!! What you think please peopls!!!!

• Stuart

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Sounds like begging Benji haha.

• Benji84

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM

No way i think it be the greatest thing ever!!!! Everyone knows how much the Newcastle love there football and love there strikers, Shearer, Tino, Beardsley Keegan so on. If we smash this up there may be Dan the man would say F You Cheasle I want to go up there were they want me and play week on week football.

• Brutooon

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM

50k per week and all he is good at is kissing other men

• SeanNufc87

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I think xisco must be awful in training as iv seen him play before and hes hungry for the ball, makes decent runs and has a decent hoof on him, then you have ameobi (shola) who consistantly makes mistakes and looks like a league 1 player at times but must be as good as messi in training as he is always in the squad. i think xisco has been unlucky at newcastle, i think he should be sold to free up wages but i have no hard feelings toward the lad and hope he ply’s his trade a bit more successfully in a more familiar league.

• ardenTOON

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:12 PM

xisco came into a messy situation thru no fault of his. He wasnt wanted by the manager who went on to resign and the backlash. Last season at home against Villa when he came on he looked decent enuf and he nevr got to play bcoz of carroll’s form and he went on loan carroll got sold kuqi came in….messy bloody messy