Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has sensibly reminded the fans today that the Newcastle transfer season should be judged only when the transfer window slams shut on Wednesday, August 31st.
Alan Pardew – welcome squad back today
Newcastle have four good players through the door already in Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid and have lost Sol Campbell (£45K/week), Shefki Kuqi and captain Kevin Nolan (£50K/week) to West Ham United.
Pardew is said to want to bring two new faces to the squad still, but surely if Spanish left-back Jose Enrique and Liverpudlian midfielder Joey Barton leave the club, they will have to be replaced?
Alan Pardew is welcoming the Newcastle squad back to the Benton training fields today, and they will start to build up their fitness for the American tour, which they will start in about two weeks.
Newcastle will play a friendly game at Darlington Arena in eleven days time, as their first pre-seaosn friendly, before they embark on their three game American tour.
This is what the manager told the local Newcastle press today:
“We are delighted with the additions so far, but we are still working hard in the market.”
“Work in the transfer market can only be judged on August 31.”
We’d like to see at least 7 new players brought in this summer, and we already have four, but if Enrique and Barton leave the club, that should go up to 9 players.
We expect both top leave the club before September, but we’d also be absolutely delighted if Jose signs his new deal at Newcastle, and Joey stays on at Newcastle, at least for one more year – but that’s unlikely to happen.
What do you think?
Comments always welcome.