Alan Pardew – Why We Sold Kevin Nolan

Alan Pardew has tried to explain why the Newcastle captain, Kevin Nolan, was allowed to leave the club and join West Ham last month.

Kevin Nolan – left Newcastle last month

Alan Pardew told a BBC Radio Newcastle phone-in:

“Would I have had Kevin for the next two years? Yes, I would have definitely have had him for the next two years, but I couldn’t have Kevin if he didn’t have a contract he felt kept him happy,”

“That obviously wasn’t the situation. In some ways I have to support that. Four or five years down the line is a bloody long time.”

“My opinion is we couldn’t give Kevin a five-year contract. If Kevin’s not paying first-team football, Kevin isn’t going to be the leader we want, I’m convinced of that. Kevin is so full-on as the captain of a football club.”

“At the level he’s gone to now the Championship he will easily come back to the Premier League but in four of five years time, Kevin needs to be doing the business in the first team and we couldn’t – I personally couldn’t see it happening at Newcastle.”

“We had to make a decision on that.” “Kevin was more than a captain really at times, but he has moved on,” “My experience as a football manager is you’ll be surprised that when someone leaves a club someone replaces that, it always is the case.”

“You can lose your funniest player but someone else evolves. It gives room for someone else to lead – and I think that will happen.”

“I’ve got a couple of ideas in my mind who that will be.” “I don’t expect the new captain to have that role,”   “John Carver and Steve Stone – I expect them to make sure the guys are in good shape and there’s a good feeling in the dressing room.”

“And use their knowledge to make sure the players bring that out in each other. Most clubs, that’s how it works.”

“Kevin was exceptional in that he had tremendous leadership skills which will serve him very, very well when he ends because he’ll end up as a coach or a manager.”

“On the pitch he had certain traits we will miss next year, influencing referees and players on the opposition.”  “That part we probably won’t replace but we’ve got to replace it with something else. I’m absolutely assured that within that changing room we’ve got enough.”

It’s got to be a big loss to lose Kevin Nolan for next season.

Kevin was the undoubted leader of the side, and we suppose at the end of the day, Newcastle wouldn’t give him the security of a five year deal, which would have seen Kevin at 33 years old when the contract ended.

But the club keep shocking the fans with their sales of Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan, and if those two can be sold,  then anybody can be sold at Newcastle these days – anybody.

Who would have thought in May, that Kevin Nolan would leave the club the next month and join West Ham?

Not too many, and that’s why it was another big shock to Newcastle fans.

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Money, money, money 😀

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Hope Joey and Jose will stay.. We need them baddly.

• sammydolan

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Talks about loyalty n stuff then buggers off after throwing his toys out the pram.

Reality is that he isn’t that great footballer wise and can see that he’d be sitting on the bench.

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Ben Arfa will score more goals than Nolan this season!

• magicbus

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM

5 years was too much to ask I wish Nolan all the best at WH and thank him for what he did at the Toon

• alex84

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:04 AM

good decision, he had two great seasons, would have liked it if he had stayed for 2 more, but not worth a five year deal, would have been the same as smudge paying a high wage to a non starter.

• a.barry

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM

He was a great playe and a great leader but at the end of the day he wanted to go when he never got what he wanted which imo was the totally right thing to do. Think it’s time to move on from him now it’s a kick in the teeth at first but we will get over it and get excited for the seasons ahead! HTL

• a.barry

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM

player*

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM

see sky bet have Charles N’Zogbia 8/13 from 8/11 and villa at 6/5 going to be close as to who gets him lads.

• toonfan76

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Don’t know if anyone has seen this this morning so I thought I’d stick it up for all to see.

• toonfan76

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Apparently Erdinc wants to stay at PSG

• Tiote4PM

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM

We seem to have come to a stop on targets which is crap.

Erdinc does’t want to come – not that upset but a little surprised after Pardew nailed his flag to the lad.

If N’zogbia signs somewhere else I will start to get a bit edgy.

One more before USA, hope it’s a goodun!

HWTL

• Jan Stavik

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Makes perfect sense to me, Nolan will be WAY too slow for EPL in a year or two. Pardew is a great communicator, I like his professional style.

• davybtoon

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:23 AM

erding can want to stay at psg but they dont want him i think theyve made that clear

• Klatoon

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’ll have to agree with everything AP says in this interview,we couldnt guarantee Nolan a place in the starting 11 this season,let alone 4-5 years down the line.

• Klatoon

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM

*this coming season*

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM

JESUS with mike ashley and alan pardew around we may never see the likes of gary speed ryan giggs or david weir ever again if youare good enough then you are young enough simple as.

• toonfan76

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Did anyone notice that Nzogbia was not mentioned once in Pardew’s radio interview. Wonder if he asked at the start for him not to be mentioned, One thing I have learned from this transfer window in particular is that ITK people are very few and far between, that includes 99% of the press as well, don’t mind that these things get done on the quiet, just wish we would get a move on for the pre-season starting.

• Dannyo

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Pardew has hit the nail on the head, dead on. It makes perfect sense, and it did not “come as a shock” for all Newcastle fans. Actually, most fans were skeptic when he joined, as he was viewed a “average”. He did the job as captain, and thats that.

• nufcmatt

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM

nolan would’ve been great for the next 2 years, in terms of chipping in goals and his leadership, but when he’s 30 he’s going to be so slow and not at premiership first team level any more.

Erdinc seems pretty certain that he’s not leaving PSG, what a kick in the b0ll0cks for pardew, it seems to be the main player we’ve been after, i don’t know why we always put all our eggs in one basket, surely we must go after sturridge now, even £12 million for sturridge would be a great buy, proven young english goalscorer in the premiership, he’s going to be brilliant in a couple of years, one of the best strikers in the league, we need to act quick and try and get him asap and he seems open to joining newcastle.

we’re being too cautious with our transfers i think, need to splash a little bit of cash, maybe sturride, matuidi, n’zogbia and neil taylor.

• arfa chance

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I heard nothing negative in the interview. Pardew conducted himself well and his idea of steady improvement is exactly what we need. some fans need a reality check

• roshan MAGPIE

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM

i too think that kevin is greedy

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM

So many justify the sale of Nolan by assuming that he will lose what pace he has in 2-3 years time yet at the same time many assume that marveux, gosling, Ba and HBA will remain fit despite there respective injury problems and lack of PL pitch time. Nolan played just about every game last season and scored most of our goals, it would be nice if people showed some gratitude-I’m sure you celebrated when he scored THAT hat trick.

• Jimay

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I wouldn’t call Kevin greedy. It’s one of those decisions you have to make when becoming the age of his. I think he’s in a better position at the moment to negotioate a good contract that will run untill he’s 33 years old than start the negotioation when he is 31 and on hiw way down in his career.

I would like to think that this move was the best for both parties. Alan Pardew’s explanination of the situation is reasonable and I totally understand Kevin’s decision and I wish him all the best for the remaining of his career. I will never foget what he’s done for us.

• ArtyH

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:18 PM

IMHO Nolan was great for NUFC when he was here and good luck to him at Westam. He was paid handsomely for what he gave our club..FFS he was paid to be a captain, and chose to go to another club. Big Sam will get a couple of years out of him and then he will see Nolan as another ” Smith ” on high wages and not playing. Many thanks for taking him off our hands.

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

well said Jimay, although I would gladly have had Kevin here for another 5 years-but not necessarily on 55k-there could have easily been some kind of arrangement whereby if he loses his ability to hack the pace and therefore his place in the team then his wages are reduced-then we could move him into a coaching rola as his leadership and motivational skills are invaluable, a true ambassador of this club unrewarded for all his efforts-perhaps he seen the lack of ambition of the owner that Carrol, Jose and Barton see

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

really honourable ArtyH, you have a fine way of thanking the man who helped us get promoted and whose goals contributed to preventing us going down again. We are the most fickle, football supporters, the worlds has ever had, we are the geordies…

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM

ok mate, you did say he was great for NUFC when he was here so I guess that counts as gratitude but the bloke scored more goals than any english midfielder last season so yes Sam, thanks for taking him off our hands, thanks a bunch.

• ArtyH

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Just another quicky, I am for NUFC as a team and over the years it has changed dramatically and I have grown to learn that player come and go but the toon goes on year after year. Its the team I support not the player who comes and uses the club to raise his bank account, yes I know some do and some dont, but in the final analysis we all know who we mean. I think Nolan was going just a bit to far, it didnt come off for him but he got a better offer, fair play. I’m just pleased the club took the descision I would have taken. We as a club are no longer push overs in the contract/signings department. AND finally about the £35m, I dont give a monkeys if not a £1 is spent of it as long as the team is improved. It is improvement I am interested in and watching a decent side next season, only time will tell on that one.

• OZTOON

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I think Pardew’s assessment on the Nolan transfer is spot on because his mobility already looked questionable. With Ben Arfa hopefully returning we’ll be playing a different kind of game which involves greater emphasis on build up play – something we lacked last season. I think Nolan had a decent year but considering he played in such an attacking role it was by no means extraordinary. We’ll get the same amount of goals with decent strikers and our side might just operate a bit smoother without the big skip.