Demba Ba – I Will Score Goals And Let Football Do The Talking

Magpies’ new striker Demba Ba had just finished a day of training at the Benton training grounds in Newcastle.

Demba Ba – one of his 7 goals at West Ham

Ba had met his new team mates for the very first time, as he tries to settle in quickly, so he can start scoring those goals for Newcastle next season.

Newcastle have lost both Carroll and Nolan from last seaosn, and they were the top two scorers in both the last couple of seasons, scoring 23 goals last season between them.

Demba Ba showed at West Ham that he can score goals in the Premier League, hitting 7 goals in just 13 appearances for a side that was rock bottom of the Premier League most of last seaosn.

Ba has talked about his tough beginnings in football looking for a club in England, and he was not successful in that, and ended up at French fourth division side FC Rouen in 2005 and moved to Belgian club Mouscron one year later.

Ba finally moved to German club Hoffenheim in 2007 for £1.5M, and stayed with them until January of this year when he joined West Ham for around £7M. At Hoffenheim he scored 40 goals in 103 appearances for the German side.

The French speaking striker was born in Paris back in 1985, and the 6’3″ striker had this to say about those early, rather frustrating years:

“My best quality is that, mentally, I am very strong. If you are a good, strong player, you can thrive on pressure and expectation and rise to the challenge.”“Football is all about having fun. I will always be happy on a football pitch.”

“When I was young and looking for a club, I went to Watford for a couple of months and I learned a hell of a lot. I hoped to get a contract, but it didn’t work out. I was upset but I didn’t want to give up.”

“I had always wanted to play in English football.” “I went to Swansea and Barnsley looking again. I did my best. I tried to make those clubs take me but it didn’t work out, and after a few months I had to go back to France.”

“I never gave up.” “It helps that I have had to work hard to get where I am now, at this great club. I have had setbacks. Everything happens in life for a reason, good and bad.”

“It has worked out well for me to think I was turned down by Swansea and Barnsley and now I am playing for a club as big as Newcastle!”

The big news in January of course was when he was about to sign for Stoke City but he failed the medical although West Ham moved in and snapped him up.

Ba also passed his medical at Newcastle, and he was given an extremely through medical on Tyneside.

It seems that both Newcastle and Demba Ba himself is not worried about that knee of his, and he has this message for Newcastle fans:

“Stoke was not a good club for me! I do not have any regrets about that,”  “A week later, I had signed for West Ham.”“People will talk about my knee all my life.”

“I will prove there is no problem by playing well and scoring goals. Let them talk.”  “I am fit and healthy.”

“They will only stop asking about it if they see me playing and scoring goals.”  “Look at the stats from West Ham last season. I will let my football do the talking.”

Ba just doesn’t know what happened at West Ham, and they had a number of good players, but still managed to finish bottom of the league and were relegated, with former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce being given the job of getting the famous London club back in the Premier League at the first attempt.

The Hammers also have a certain Kevin Nolan, who will likely captain the side once Scott Parker moves on.

Ba talked about his time at West Ham:

“What went wrong at West Ham? Good question. I am still puzzled by it.”

“It was a good club, a good team but it went down. It is still difficult to accept, because we had some good players.”

“Mystifying.” “For example, I scored two goals first half in a game against Wigan and I remember thinking we had made a massive leap towards safety. We seemed to be in a good way.”

“We came back in at full-time and we had lost the game.” “It is a big regret for me. I still feel sorry for the fans and the club, and the players.”

Demba was wise enough to get a release clause in his contract – and if West Ham were relegated he became a free agent, and that’s how Newcastle snapped him up, and he looks to be very good value, and could score a ton of goals for Newcastle next season.

We hope he will score a ton of goals for Newcastle next seaosn, and if he does that he will be an instant star on Tyneside.

Newcastle have signed three Frenchman and French speaking Senegal International Ba, but Demba will not help them with their English – they will have to learn that themselves.

Ba continued:

“I will help the new French players, but I will not be a translator for them,”  “They have to learn English for themselves! They already speak basic English and will learn fast.”

“Since I was young, I was only excited watching English football. It has always been better for me to watch two mid-table English teams playing, than the best sides in Italy of Spain. It was always exciting.”

“Germany helped me a lot as well. At Hoffenheim, we played a quick tempo where we pressed hard.” “I knew Newcastle were interested towards the end of last season but I didn’t pay attention because I was in trouble with West Ham.”

“When I came back from holiday I asked my brother what is the best offer. He said, ‘Newcastle United’ and that was it, I had made up my mind.” “I don’t set targets, but top 10 would be good. We would like us to do better what we did last season.”

When I saw Ba’s first interview at Newcastle it was clear this lad is quite a character, and he could quickly become a very popular player on Tyneside.

Of course Geordie fans love players who can put that ball in the back of the net, and certainly at the Hammers, he looked terrific a great goalscorer.

There’s no reason at all why he cannot continue that great goal-scoring form at Newcastle, in front of 52,000 mad screaming Geordies at every home game.

That sounds good to us.

• Andy

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM

If he can stay fit next season (which he is positive he can) then we have a helluva player on our hands! Pace power and a good finish.

• atoonlad

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Looking forward to seeing all the new guys & Ben Afra next week against Darlo

• i Toon

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM

i have no doubt he will score goals but we need one more forward

• Andy

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Ed where did you get this from? Also if it was from NUFCTV is it worth subscribing to as i am considering it atm

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:52 PM

fighting talk from ba ba black sheep lets hope his feet talk as good as his mouth.

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM

aww Boom Boom the trash talker again, he thinks he’s better than ba, while he can only talk too *ouch*

• mikenotiades

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Have purchased NUFC TV, tis worth it… Interviews are good

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I have been reading all of the articles and comments recently and there are some clueless people on here.

How can anyone agree with the way MA and DL run the club, lie after lie after lie after lie and you mugs buy them! Since when did free transfers win trophies? Since when was a player too old at 28? Tell me any top team with this approach.

Also, if Carroll hadn’t been sold does that mean we wouldn’t have signed anyone this summer?

We ate now a selling club being used as a stepping stone

Since when did

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Also, sick of people talking about debt, which big clubs don’t have debt? Would you rather win trophies or be in the black!? Don’t tell me we would go bust, name one big club that has!?

• montevideomag

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Good evening lads, I have supported Newcastle for 30 years, have seen many highs and I suppose just as many lows. I read this blog everyday, thanks Ed, hope you are feeling strong and just wanted to make a few comments. Younger fans, you school kids that is might not know much before the premier league started, but Newcastle United has always attracted a certain style of player and for me anyway tried to play football in a certain way. Top players come and go, Waddle, Beardsley, Gascoigne, Goddard, later Cole, Ginola, Ferdinand. Often these players were replaced by lesser footballers, the likes of Pingel, Anderson, Kuqi last year.
    At the moment, Newcastle, like most clubs needs to be run with some sort of financial diligence which can also meet the needs of the fans. I for one think that the payers recruited this year and those returning from injury can really help us push on this next year. Nolan, bless him for his goals against the scum, was not going to take the club forward, he simply did not have the pace to dictate game the way top top players do, same goes for Barton to some extent, his better range of passing helps him so much more than Nolan. I know Nolan scored 12 last year, but that is not par for the course for him by any long stretch.
    Our new players, Ba, Cabaye, Marveaux, Abheid and the returning Ben Arfa add a different class ands style of play to the departed Carrol and Nolan. Their pace and technique added to the already formidable Tiote, and ever energetic Gutierez mean we have an attacking array must clubs must be envious of. If we can add a pacy striker to all of that, great, if not Nile Ranger could become that player, just like Carrol did for a season and a half.
    With Gosling, Vuckic and Ferguson also there I think we are very well off.
    Anyway, just thought I would share some thoughts on my club and that I am looking forward to all the mails over the next couple of months before the season starts/transfer window shuts.
    Right, off to watch Argentina vs Colombia

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:21 AM

im with you montevideomag.

kingkev9, are you the real keegan? lol

• barryvenison

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

@kingkev- I think most posters on here are either very young or have just started supporting NUFC or both. One would think that most of us have learnt by now what Ashley is like and won’t allow ouselves to buy into his propoganda. Instead you get people on here pretending to be accountants or business students who think Ashley has saved our club and acts purely in the fan’s best interest. It’s hard to even have a conversation with people that deluded.

• Ashton

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM

kingkev9

Lol at your argument. Big clubs have debts so should WE !!

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I honestly can’t believe what I read some days. I find it funny how a few weeks back people were posting teams with gervinho, gameiro, zog, sturridge etc in. Now they are over the moon with our expensive free signings! We were never going to buy those players! Wake up! As for the new lads, they are all unproven in the prem apart from ba and he is no world beater. Abheid has never played a first team game! Champ manager and YouTube is all most of you know!

As for

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Why not have debt? Would you rather have debt or let Ashley keep taking money and the piss out of the fans. Ambitious clubs do not sell their best players and replace them with free transfers.

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM

LOL at barryvenison and kingkev9.

• Ashton

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Ohh hi there! so why are you lot in a £500m dept ???

Because lol all the cool kids were doing it mate !!

• MJR

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Kingkev 9 – Leeds?

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM

kingkev, we do have interest free debt currently being foot by mr mike ashley. you are the deluded fan, we cannot compete with bigger clubs in terms of buying players, even if take in massive debt.

if the old ways dont work, we need a different method.

you mentioned AC, nolan, etc, but you did not mention tiote, gosling, ben arfa, you are certainly biased.

• 09nufc09

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Barryvension… No one is saying ashley is acting is the supporters best interest, he is making the club finacially stable so he does not have to invest anymore money. If the money we owe to ma was owed to the banks like under shepherd we would only be paying off interest every year and would have no money left over for player investment. Under shepherd we were still paying for players after they had left the club, whereas under ma we are paying tranfer fees upfront and that way have money for the next transfer window to improve the squad further.
    Kk9… Every player any club signs has a risk, c ronaldo to manu had a risk, he had never played in the prem, he was sold a few years later for a world record and even then had a risk because he had never played in la liga. I can say for sure all the players we have signed so far are an improvement on what we had,

• Hoppefot79

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Ash stay, better this way!

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

kingkev9 –

LEEDS, LAZIO, FIORENTINA, AC PARMA

• Ashton

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

“Carroll, Nolan, Barton, Jose OR ba, cabeye, marveaux, Taylor. I know who I would rather have. ”

Carroll is injury prone and a madman. At this rate of his off-field shenanigans I think he will be locked up soon.

Nolan is fat and lazy and he wanted a 5 year deal on 60k a week. We replaced him with a much better, younger player.

Barton had one good season for us. He thinks he is smarter and better than he is. And he gives us a bad reputation. Wouldn’t mind seen him gone.

Jose doesn’t want to stay with us. He want’s CL football which we can’t offer at the moment.

• dazza

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM

rumor on zog is that villa have a deal in place pending the sale of downing to pool, who are in advanced negotiations.

i guess w marveaux coming in adding zog was never really going to happen.

i for one think long will be quality and is worth picking up.

gettin’ Ba this guy will be awesome for us next season!

• Ashton

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Carroll is an injury prone madman. At this rate of his off-field shenanigans I think he will be locked up soon.

• dazza

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM

10montevideomag well said, completely agree, hope ranger gets one more chance

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM

So ba is better than Carroll? Don’t be silly. Our best players last year were Carroll, Nolan, Jose, Barton, colo and tiote. The first four will be gone come September. I would be happy seeing these new players come in IF we kept our best players and sold our fringe players. We are buying to sell in in 2/3 years, we are a stepping stone. Where has the tv money gone? Merchandise? Ticket? Sponsorship? MA will make another profit in this window. Geordiedinho- what have Ben arfa and gosling done? They were signed last year too. ‘ the money will go back into the team’ lie…lie….lie….lie after lie

• barryvenison

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM

@09nufc09- Of course i want us to be financially stable but I also want an owner who cares about our club and is willing to financially back us. Ashley’s only goal in making us stable is to protect his investment. Why do you think he wants to make us financially stable??? Could it be so he turns a profit and doesn’t have to use any of his own money on bringing in new players. The more profitable we are the more he earns and the more attractive we are to potential new buyers which coincidentally earns him more money yet again. He is a businessman first and foremost and while i can appreciate his business acumen he’s taught me to be naive during the transfer window since he’s turned a profit in every one. I like our new players but if he invests in the squad by bringing in another 3-4 good players than we can push on and hope to finish in a europa league place but will he actually back us? I doubt it but would love for him to prove me wrong, I just won’t hold my breath.

• Hoppefot79

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Have a gut feeling Zog will sign this week, maybe 2mora

• kingkev9

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Geordinho- only Leeds are relevant and we could be in their league next year anyway.
    Ashton – you clearly don’t go to the games then. Nolan has been vital for us for the last 2 years, leader, captain, top scorer, lazy? Definitely not. You need leaders and characters in your team and dressing room. Our first away game will tell it’s own story, let’s see the difference then.

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:14 AM

kingkev9, no wonder you behave that way, you never able to see the big picture, they purchased BA and Gosling for a long term perspective.

@barryvenison, whats wrong with adding value to the club, at least if ashley sells the club, it will be in a much better position than when he bought it, and who in the right frame of mind would wanna sell their investment at a loss if he can make a profit of it??? dont be a hypocrite.

• DJM TOON

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:15 AM

your so full of it kingkev9… small minded deluded fan that cant see the bigger picture

MA cannot just take money out of the club, it will show up on the financial records that are publicly available

we still owe him £100million, he is entitled to have that paid back believe it or not. so the carroll money is going back into the club and the sponsership, tickets, merchandise etc etc MA has every right to have that debt paid off and you’d be an idiot to think otherwise.

grow up man and start thinking logically. there is no benefit to anyone, including MA if the club fails… but what you suggest is we should do what leeds and portsmouth both did… shelled out ludicrous amounts of money on players, competed at the top for one season and then fell from grace in spectacular fashion. that in essence is what you want to see happen to NUFC? FS took this club to the brink, if you cant see that your a fool, MA, yes,, has made mistakes no-one, including himself is denying that, but he is trying to get the club on a sound financial footing as well as effective on the pitch, since our fall from the premiership, the club has been moving in a positive direction and in hindsight i’m glad we were relegated.. .we needed that wake-up call and i cant wait to see the lads back on the pitch and we all hope they take our breath away… in a good way!

• free giveaways

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Zog will go to Villa unfortunately. Villa are desperate for wingers after losing Young and Downing. They’ll have £40 to spend and pay big wages.

We’ve already got Marveaux, Jonas and Barton who can play wide and Ashley won’t pay £9m for a player with one year left on his contract. It’s a shame because Zog wants to come back here but he’ll go to Villa because they’ll match Wigan’s asking price and pay him 60k a week.

• Geordindo

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM

kingkev9, only LEEDS? those are big clubs who leveraged their future for short term gain

portsmouth is another example.

• RUNAWAY777

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM

glad this one is over with,Gervinho has Arsenal medical.

• DJM TOON

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:20 AM

jesus, MA is not “turning a profit” each transfer window… any transfer fees do not go into his bank account, they go into NUFC’s bank accounts… are you stupid or what?!?

the club is in debt, i dont want it to be in debt, and no-one should. so just because we bring in more cash than we spend doesnt mean it just sits there gathering dust… IT PAYS OFF THE DEBT TO MA

bloody fools some of you lot are

• Ashton

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Yes Ba is better than Carroll. Carroll is overrated to the oblivion by some people here. Ba is a lot faster and technically better. He is as good at finishing if not better but not as good in the air, which is a good thing when you think about it because we may play less long balls.
    Also he doesn’t break his teammates jaws or get drunk and beat up women and his relatives.

As for the other three, I already explained to you and I suggest you read my last comment again if you didn’t get it.

• free giveaways

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM

I agree with what most fans are saying. I don’t want us to spend crazy money on transfer fees and wages, but we received so much money from the Carroll deal, and we get over 50k people at St Jame’s every other week so it would be nice to see us spend a fair amount of money, like Spurs do for example while still maintaining a wage ceiling. Signing players like Modric and Van Der Vaart etc.

• montevideomag

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:24 AM

@barryvenison27, you want an owner who financially backs us, Ashley does that. He is just running us like a business, as he should. I would not want to be paying players 250,000 a week i.e Tevez. Many of us are outraged at Nolan, Xisco et al earning 50-60 thousand a week, never mind Owen on what? 120,000 a week
    You do not have to spend huge to be successful, it helps, but it is not the end of everything. Last year we would have all taken security in the premiership as an end of year result, achieved, could have been top ten if not for a piss poor second half against WBA. I believe the new players can take us top eight, a new centre forward to compliment BA, or Best/Ranger grabbing 15-20 between hem could do that.
    Check out the soccernet page with the club stats from last year. Only Barton get anywhere near double figures for assists. Cabeye, Ben Arfa, Marveaux have all been brought in can create assists.
    All these people banging on about spending THE MONEY and wanting this player and that, I am sorry are deluded. Would any of us have paid 35 million for Carrol or 20 for Henderson. We have done well in the market and will move forward next year

• 09nufc09

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Barryvension… Exactly ashley wants us to make a profit so he does not have to put in anymore money, he has said he wants the club to run itself and then to invest 20mil(i think) every year. If he was in it purely to make money why isnt he making the club pay interest on the loans? and why does he not want any of the money back until the club is sold?
    Kk9… I think ba will score more goals than carroll next season, carroll will get alot of injuries with the way he lands when he jumps, if you go to the matches you will see he lands very heavy.
    Nolan only ever lasted 60mins in games and then went missing and had to be constantly covered by barton and tiote leaving simpson very exposed. He went missing in alot of games in the second half of the season and stopped scoring after carroll left.
    In my opinion our best players last season were colo and tiote. They were the most consistent and alot of tiotes bookings happened because he was covering for both nolan and joey whos legs didnt last 90 mins of games but we had noone of quality to replace them.