Newcastle Finally Give Up On Mevlut Erdinc

News today in the Newcastle Journal that Newcatsle have given up on e Turkey striker Mevlüt Erdinç.

Mevlut Erdinc – staying at PSG

The Paris Saint Germain striker told Newcastle yesterday he would not be joining them and instead will fight for his place in the PSG side.

Newcastle  had  a bid £7M for the striker accepted by PSG, and expected a decision on the move this week, after Leonardo, the former Internationale manager,  joined the club on Wednesday as their new Director of Football,

Erdinç’s agent Pierre Frelot confirmed his client will not be joining  Newcastle:

“He will not be going to Newcastle. The player decided not to move and he is staying in Paris for next season.”

Erdinc had hinted he may want to stay with PSG, and Leonardo also told him  the club would like him to stay in Paris.

That was news on Wednesday,  but Newcastle were still hoping the Turkish Intentional would have a change of mind, but it was not to be.

Newcastle are now said to be after another European based striker, and is is not Shane Long, who was linked with Newcastle again yesterday.

The club have hardly been successful in persuading strikers from the continent to join the club, with first Kevin Gameiro of Lorient, and now Mevlut Erdinc, both preferring to be with PSG, rather than moving to Tyneside.

Well, you never got all the players you want, but this is still disappointing news today.

• Ollieh51

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Podolski anybody?!

• Drona

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:59 AM

apparently after el arabi and doumbia

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:00 AM

We will bring in someone who is capable of bagging goals. That is our biggest need of the summer, and I dont believe that Demba Ba is the only striker that we will sign.

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I really wish we would try to sign El Arabi or Doumbia, but I do not think it will happen. People just getting their hopes up on players they want to sign.

• Klatoon

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Didnt take long for some new strikers’ names to pop up. Im seeing El-Arabi and Doumbia all over,good players they may be but i doubt the club are even remotely thinking about them (fingers crossed though)

• Crossing my fingers for Pavylchenko…. its a long shot… but i can dream…

• Brutooon

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

kevin doyle !!!

• carrollsinger

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Sturridge!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Defoe!!!!!!!!!!!

• Marty-Toon

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Don`t want to start the whole pessimistic thing today lads but was just reading Charlie Adam`s comments about joining the Reds.
    Every player wants to win trophies he says and that`s why he`s there.
    Realistically we get the players who want to better their career and are in no doubt quality players but as they find out that we cannot compete in the top 4 they leave for a challenging club after 3/4 years.
    Seems like we are a feeder club and as many times before some of our players go on to win trophies with other teams 🙁
    We are having difficulty buying the strikers we want even though they have friends here!!
    They don`t want to be around 10th place in the PL
    they wanna win things.
    We are a long way off even though we have a good squad

• Id much rather Defoe “can’t Score” went to sunderland with Gyan going to spurs.

• BonVoyageBenny

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Obviously missing out on a target is disappointing, but I never really believed Erding was right for this club. Not really a proven goalscorer, so, on to the next target then.

• Solaidback

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

He’s probably been offered extra money to stay at PSG, I mean tthey’re loaded now aren’t they….

As for who may or may not be our next target, I personally think the club should try to keep it under wraps until they agree, that way we the fans don’t get too upset when we get rejected again!!!

• Players have friends @ every club. Do you not think Erding would have more “friends” at PSG then at Nufc?

Your argument is invalid Marty-Toon. Erding was told by leonardo he will play a part in their Team next season, and with PSG having new Billionair Qatari Owners, the sky is the limit for them.

• Anyway, im not upset about Erding.

I have always suggested Nolan Roux / Jonathan Soriano and prior to a Reality check by Nick 69, Andre Shurrle would be better, value for money.

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Regarding us being a feeder club, how many of our past players (say the last 3 years) moved onto better clubs and better situations? I mean Milner and Carroll are the only ones who come to mind. Bassong doesnt play, Beye doesnt play, Oba dropped off, Duff is a borderline starter, Nolan in the Championship, N’Zog at Wigan. We really have not been a selling club.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thegreatoba you missed out given there aswell

• @Thegreatoba

I disagree about Milner

He went to Villa first. Hardly a bigger club.

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:20 AM

fair point, but what has given done? he was first choice at city for half a season.

• geoff777

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM

@solaidback

PSG accepted our bid – so they won’t have offered him a new deal …

Apparently his wage demands were too much …

+ Leonardo hasn’t joined PSG yet.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The only player that has been better off is that little horrible greedy tw@t

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:23 AM

@Vive

I agree Villa arent a bigger club, but he did eventually end up at City, so i think we have to agree they are currently in a better situation than us (regarding players and spending money).

The only point I am trying to make is that we really arent a feeder club, as the players we have recently sold have not been world beaters. I am not upset with any of the moves that we have made, now that I can look back at it with perspective.

• GeordieDan

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Couldn’t give a toss about Erdinc-he blatantly never wanted to come here anyway so I couldn’t care less.

I’m much more pi55ed off about the news on NZogbia in the same article apparently likely to move to Villa.

Can’t stand the tw*ts and if our fat effing prick of a owner would just SPEND SOME EFFING MONEY!!!!!!! We should have got him no probs and he’d be perfect for our new set up-A no brainer-so obviously our no-brained fat wanker of a benefactor hasn’t done it!

Words cannot describe just how much I want to punch that man in the mouth! He’s made our club a pathetic lightweight compared to what it was and I will never forgive him for that.

All you Ashley apologists can kiss my ar5e today. I’ve finally snapped and I’m seriously pi55ed off! You just try and justify him taking all the money out of the club now! I dare ya!

• thegreatoba

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:27 AM

We are in great shape in my opinions. I am so happy we are not spending stupid money like Liverpool and Sunderland. We do our business quiet and productively. Dont expect any wow signings, as I believe our current squad has so much skill and potential in it already. Maybe bring in a striker and some defensive backups. We are a lot better off than people think. Plus, if we hold onto Jose, Jonas, and Barton. Look out

• BigKirky

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM

just watching el Arabi again. Doesn’t seem to have the pace of erding but more like a slightly toned down version of taraabt who instead plays up front.

I have faith in Carr. Not too convinced with Shane Long, but id love to be proved otherwise, altho id def have long if he was our third forward, behind ba and another.

Wasn’t Arabi linked to someone v recently tho and was talk of £5m? Him and long for £10 wud be a decent shout, depending on who else wer looking at.

• obamagic

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Not missing out on much I hope we switch our attention to Felipe Caicedo
    -banged in 13 goals last season for a Levante
    Or Jose Rondon or Khouma Babacar (Fiorentina…. def 1 for the future)

I wouldn’t mind Nile Ranger staying if he improves his attitude. I reckon it could be a breakout season for him if he gets regular playing time.

• obamagic

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM

@BigKirky

el arabi was suppose to be signing for Genoa…. but its been quiet for a while.

• Toonmania

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM

i see Qpr have agreed a deal for tarabit don’t know where he’s going though i hope it’s not to us

• BigKirky

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Altho I want zog, I can see him ending up at villa tbh. Whether that wud spark us into a bid for someone like boudebouz or barnetta is another matter. Maybe we are in fact waiting until villa make a formal bid so that time forces the price down. Who knows?

Oh well, at least we can have more whirlwind speculation on who we should sign as the next forward 🙂

• BigKirky

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:36 AM

niafron will have a busy day on here today I imagine 🙂

• GeordieMeerkat

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM

We can’t afford to have another African striker on our books (not from a major nation anyway) or we’d spend a good chunk of this season with Lovenkrands and Ben Arfa as our only senior forwards. And then the following year solely Ben Arfa as Lovenkrands probably won’t be offered a new deal.

I’d like Caicedo too but he’s going to Russia and Rondon has said he wants to stay at his current club.

If we do stay in France for other targets, Nolan Roux is attainable, Riviere says he wants to leave for Toulouse for less money than we offered for Erdinc and Park Chu-Young could be snapped up easily if we’re quick as someone mentioned Lille were sniffing around him.

• BigKirky

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Toonmania, psg were reportedly thinking of offering £13m for taraabt, so wonder if its them.

• geoff777

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM

@Toonmania

You can never have too many players …

• geoff777

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:46 AM

@obamagic

I hope Ranger gets a chance too.
    If we do sign another striker then he should go out on loan.

Let Lee Clark have him at Huddersfield for a year.

• GeordieToon89

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM

If we get doumbia and el arabi a dnt care if we dnt get zog, doumbia will be one of the worlds best strikers he is awesome but will cost double erding

• gorgonzola

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

hmmm I am getting upset with this striker story I hope we have somebody lined up… we re really thin upfront but ALSO we are thin at the back we need a SUPERB CB as well lets be honest… more often than not last season cocked up wins with poor draws in the last few minutes of the game as is trade mark for Newcastle

• OttersPocket

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I like N’Zog but for the price I would rather strengthen other areas first, I mean we have 4 LW in our squad (Jonas, HBA, Marveaux, Fergie)

• Marty-Toon

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:47 AM

The great thing about having NZogbia in our team would be the way AP could change things during a game and push HBA up front and Zog can play both wings and Free kicks very well.
    Still think even with a quality Striker in the next few weeks we still look lightweight compared to the top 8

• Tom_Toon

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Bit disappointed about this but good strikers are relatively easy to find compared to other positions.

• max

Jul 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

defoe, pavlychenko,, adebayor.. so many choices actually..