Stephen Ireland Now Staying At Aston Villa?

It seems that Stephen Ireland is ready to stay at Aston Villa.

Stephen Ireland – in one of his two sub appearances for Newcastle

The midfielder joined Aston Villa from Manchester City only last summer when Martin O’Neil was manager, but was then squeezed out of the first team picture and ignored when French manager Gerard Houllier was appointed.

But since Alex McLeish has taken over,  it seems that Ireland will be given a  new chance to impress at Villa, and has been given the number 7 shirt.

Ireland was brought to Newcastle on loan in January, but had lots of injuries, and it was rather a disastrous loan spell for both player and the Magpies.

Stephen ended up making only two sub appearances for the side, but we still thought there was a chance that Alan Pardew could sign the Irishman this summer.

This is what Stephen had to say today to Sky Sports News. :

“I’ve come back this year really determined and really ready to give it a good shot, and hopefully this manager gives me a fair go, which I haven’t had in a while,”

“All I’m asking for is a fair shot. I’m not asking for special treatment, I’m just asking for a fair crack at playing.”

“That’s all I’m asking for, is a fair shot. I’m not asking for special treatment, I’m just asking for a fair crack at playing.

“It’s very difficult for confidence. Like you say I was a fans’ favorite at City, and that’s what I wanted to become here, have that same support of the fans.”

“I haven’t played five games in a row since Mark Hughes was City manager, so it’s not as if I’ve played in 20 or 30 games and not done anything.”

“I haven’t had the opportunity to perform to even be in that situation. I came in for training and went home. My job was just training, that was it.”

And Ireland has made a surprising statement on loan move to  Newcastle, as he continued:

“I got sent to Newcastle basically against my own will.”

“I came here as a new signing, and I was here to play every second of every game. I came here really determined and wanted to kick on.”

“I came here under Kevin MacDonald and everything seemed fine and was going in the right direction.”

“Gerard came in, and everyone has their own opinions, and I wasn’t for him I guess.”

Well no mention there of wanting to play for Newcastle, so we suppose any deal for Ireland looks dead in the water.

The last we heard, Stephen was saying he was desperate for a move to Newcastle, but we suppose things have changed on that score.

There was some news a month or two back that the Newcastle hierarchy were unwilling to pay Ireland £50K/week because of his poor injury record.

But Ireland is still a classy player, and we think he would have made a good signing for Newcastle, especially with the new skilled players that have already arrived on Tyneside this summer.

What do you think?

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Dont need him anyway

• tomellifred360

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM

He is an excellent player on his day, but injury prone. Having seen some of the players we have signed recently, I would expect Ireland to be signing on the dotted line real soon!

• sweendog

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

• grumpy_old_sod

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Got sent to nufc against his own will! Not the kind of player we want. We need players who want to play for this club. He was injured most of the time too, ungrateful sod.

• Thanks for all the Birthday wishes yesterday and a couple today. But please stop. It’s over.

• Stuart

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM

two faced f**king crock!

When he signed for us he was going on about being over the moom, bigging up the fans and all that.

Now that hes got a hope of getting back into the villa team (which he slagged off mercilessly, along with the city while he was with us) hes saying he didnt want to come here at all.

What? would he have prefered to carry on training with the youth team at villa under Houllier?

They can keep him like, we’ve got HBA and Cabaye instead.

• I think it’s called “media training”. Players say what they are told the fans want to hear.

• xfer

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Good player when at City, didnt play well at all with Villa, and when he had his game for us, he didnt show anything special. I think we are good on midfielders now, i wont be complaining at the end of the market if we dont sign any more, looking forward to a good striker tho.

Not convinced with Danny Simpson so far as well. Talks of 5 years contract is disturbing. Most of the time last season when we conceded, he had a role to play, but of cos he had his moment. Just backed off too much for me, too often.

• tomellifred360

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Why the resentment towards Ireland. He is simply uttering soundbites to get himself back in with the new manager and fans. He would be a fool to be saying anything else. When he was with us he simply said what we wanted to hear. How would we have responded if he had said he did not want to come to us? He is simply playing the game!

• Toonboy_84

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM

@ 8

I think if Jonas plays RM this season then with his good tracking back it would really help young Simmo

• Stuart

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I think Simpson is still improving like. Remember there was talk of him getting an england call up at one point last season.

Alot of the goals he had a hand in conceding last season were because Barton never tracks back to help him out.

If we played Marveaux (or hopefully Zoggy) on the left and Jonas on the right we’d concede alot less down the right as Jonas is really good defensively.

• Stuart

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Haha, just beat me to it toonboy!

• tomellifred360

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM

@GeordieGerman. Media training! Yes!
    Clever players are as good with the soundbite as they are with the ball.

• Toonboy_84

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Great minds and all that one Stuart.

• sweendog

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Toonboy_84 ..agreed .. it wasn’t always simpsons fault he was exposed .. I think he has improved ..

• Cheick and Bake

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM

why the fu*k are we even talking about this shitty player.. lets focus on our team news .. not aston villas please

• Mags

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Dunno about injuries, that lad has serious mental problems!!!

• Cheick and Bake

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM

sweendog — simpson still hasn’t improved … i mean i haven’t seen him play during the transfer window .. but during the season .. the RB is our worst position .. its where all the goals against us come from

• Toonboy_84

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Granted he does back off a bit much but he is still learning. 1st full EPL season after a pretty bad injury. He ain’t that bad. He’ll only get better!

• Toonboy_84

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Oh yeah. And Willo was at fault for a lot of goals last season. Same applies as Simmo though. 1st EPL season. Will only get better

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

He’s a great player on his day and fair play to him he just wants to make his Villa stay a success I can understand that. Villa changed manager at the wrong time for us or else he would have been signed already. Oh well there are better players out there that I prefer like Boudebouz and Marvin Martin, Menez etc.

• Cheick and Bake

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

i’d prefer Shola playing midfield instead of ireland … .. we need a strike!! who is plan C?

• Cheick and Bake

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:18 AM

*striker

• Twitter.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas
    Bitter disappointment as bonus row torpedoes Erdinç move – but NUFC hope to have new striker in within 10 days..

• Stuart

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Shola will sign. Theres no getting rid of him lol.

• Graeme

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Ed,

You missed the bit out where Ireland states he was forced into a Newcastle loan “Against his wishes” – he didn’t want to come in the first place!!!!

• Cardboy

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Jog on Ireland …. don’t think he’ll be getting a great reception back at Villa either considering his previous comments about the whole area. We don’t need players like him… no loyalty at all to club or country.

• AndyMac

Jul 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM

“But Ireland is still a classy player, and we think he would have made a good signing for Newcastle, especially with the new skilled players that have already arrived on Tyneside this summer”

Just goes to show you can fool some of the people some of the time 🙁 I guarantee you Irelands career has already peaked and it’ll be a long drawn out decline from here on..