Championship Clubs After Newcastle Winger

We half expected Wayne Routledge to be a Nottingham Forest player by now.

Wayne Routledge – Cardiff and Forest both interested

Newcastle had agreed a fee with the Nottingham club now managed by former England and Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren, and Wayne went to Nottingham late last week to discuss terms.

But no signing yet, and news today that Cardiff City are being linked with a move for former QPR player.

We think 26 year-old Wayne would be a great signing for any Championship club with promotion ambitions, and new Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay seems interested in the player.

Routledge played on loan at Cardiff in late 2008, while on the books of Aston Villa, and in the following January Cardiff offered £300K for the then 22 year old, but Routledge rejected the deal, and he then returned to Aston Villa.

Mackay is currently in southern Spain on a pre-season trip with his squad, but the former Watford boss has already signed six players – Robert Earnshaw, Craig Conway, Don Cowie, Andrew Taylor, Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Mason – in an effort to get the Welsh club promoted next May.

Mackay is still on the lookout for new players, as he said:

“We are still looking to bring more players in – and that work won’t stop while we are away.”

We’re not surprised Wayne is in big demand, and it looks like he will have the choice of some  good Championship teams to join this summer.

Routledge does not have a future at Newcastle, and although he played very well for the side 18 months ago when he was recruited from QPR, he had a tough time of things last season in the Premier League.

Wayne was sent out on loan to former club QPR in January, and he played 19 times with 5 goals for the side who won the Championship in May.

We’re not sure which club Routledge will join,  but we wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on this week to some very good Championship club,

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Think the delay is that we want Lewis McGugan in part exchange.

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Canny lad, decent pro, but unfortunately not good enough to take us to the next level in this division.

The sooner he’s solf the quicker we can free up his wages or think about getting a replacement. Hopefully it will be the Zog.

• barryvenison

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Money in from the sale of Ranger and Routledge should allow Ashley to power the floodlights at St.James’ so we can have a few evening games this season.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:36 AM

@3

Get a grip, you tool.

• ToonDownSouth

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Wow Richy. Some one got out of bed the wrong side.

It was a light hearted joke – which happens to coincide slightly with the truth!

• ToonDownSouth

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I do hope Ashley & Derek realise that if they make a profit this window, we’re all going to go ape shit…

• MrToon

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I hope we are doing a swap deal with forest. And while on the subject of swaps, I would have liked to try and swap ranger for punchion with maybe a bit of cash going the other way aswell. I think he would be a good buy

• nufcgaz687

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM

is punchion not at Southampton

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM

@7

Do you think forest would maybe take Perch back too?

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Punchion was on loan at blackpool

• barryvenison

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:53 AM

@4- I am deeply hurt and apologize for my behavior. I will shortly be jumping off the tyne bridge if anyone wants to watch, i’ll be the one on the edge of the bridge reviewing my life decisions with a Xisco top on.

• BarryVenison, Do you really have to repeat yourself in near every article concerning money coming/going @ Newcastle?

We got your point the first time you blew your whistle… theres no need to repeat yourself over and over again. You dont like Ashley, I don’t Like Coffee. Only difference is, i dont go around telling everyone i hate coffee every oppurtunity i get.

• ToonDownSouth // Jul 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM

On the off chance we bring in a couple of Non Free Talent i.e Menez, a Forward and maybe a DM cover/Defender for say 15-20mill total… (lol doubt this would happen) and they still made a profit, would you still go ape shit?

• Teamstoof

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Finnaly the Gervinho saga is over!!!

Hope we never mention his name again on this blog…

Any thoughts wich striker we are chasing? some realistic targets then I mean

Personally I would go for Podolski or even Gyan from shite scumberland

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I dont like cricket…

I love it ahh

• connor_nufc

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I don’t.like coffee either

• @Teamstoof

Gyan wont happen. 1. Agent Brucie wont sell to us. 2. Spurs apparantly want him.

Hoping we make a bid for Pavylchenko, he doesnt exactly fit the criteria of player we are after age wise, but he is a real Talent.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Aye i hate coffee dont even like tea and dont get me started on marmite lol

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

im frustrated smiths still here.. we know hes not good enough to be here, our board know that, media know that, even he knows that. if he would be fair hed say..thanks for making me rich…goodbye.

• MrToon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

sorry, My bad. I forgot he was only on loan. Still could be a good cheap buy though

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Coffee is awesome lads. You need to give your head a shake, I mean come on, someone who manages to cure a womans brian tumour in a matter of minutes?

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Oh… hang on…

Like the drink but NOT spelt the same. Gotcha…

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:05 AM

gyan is a hard worker, but not a no.9 striker.

oh and one more thing. we need a striker yes, but NOT form africa. we already have Ba. in january hell leave for ANC..as would sow, bangura, gyan, etc etc etc..& well have to play shola & loven.

no F. way

• Ollieh51

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Teamstoof – I’ve been touting Podolski’s name for a while now, think he’s only got another year left on his contract too?

Great goal scoring records for club and country, should be relatively cheap and is a decent quick, tricky, strong, hard working goal scoring young(ish) international forward.

Don’t get why he’s not being looked at??

• Junglist-Geordie

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Coffee hasn’t got nufc relegated or sells our best players or tell lies constantly,that’s the great thing about blogs everyone has a different opinion about things,variety is the spice of life.

• SouthLincsToon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Swansea have bid for Routledge now… £1.5m

• jayphoto

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Wouldn’t want Gyan anywhere near our side! He reminds me a lot of Obafemi Martins! Theres no discipline in the way he plays! Personally, I would like us to sign Kolbeinn Sigthorsson and Kevin Lacruz but can’t see either of them at toon! Wouldn’t be shocked if we weren’t the club in talks with Bendtner as theres been no rumours to who it is and thats pretty much how our reigime works! He’d fit the profile age and experience wise and if he was available for under 9m he’d have potenial massive sell on possibility! If he has a couple of 20 goal seasons, along with his international record that is very good, he’d be a 20m striker!

• neil

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM

BarryVenison is on top form this morning. Xisco jibe made me laugh out loud!! Seen Swansea have bid for Routledge now also. What worries me is we are now shifting all the talk to offloading “deadwood” instead of signing players – I am all for getting rid of the cr@p (Ameobi included) but not if we can barely muster a team!

• Spike

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Swansea can talk to him for £1.5m, but they’ll have to pay nearer £10m. The £1.5m is not a release clause – cheeky buggers

• dave 1961

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I too hate coffee but for me it also causes a reaction, makes me ill, when I was about 14 by brother filled my mouth with coffee powder, taking advantage as I had drunk a few vodkas too many, but as I suffer severe allergic reactions it made me ill for a week, and the morals of this story is, its better too hear about gripes about Ashley & Llambias than have to read through depressing posts like this. ps I have just took a reaction to quinine.

• jayphoto

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Ollieh51 – as a german, who has worked and covered quite a few bundesliga games in last couple years, trust me, you don’t want Podolski anywhere near the toon team! He really struggled to settle in Munchen, his home and heart are with Koln, and Munchen is a lot closer to there than Newcastle! He and his wife surround themselves in polish community etc, I know when newcastle scout players they look at how they’ll settle etc, i doubt poldi would pass that test!

• Charlietoon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

@Barry I laughed personally when I read your comment. Considering the mount Pardew says we paid for all these free agents Wayne might end up costing someone 5 mill what with fees etc lol.

Lets get McGugen in!! Looks quality. Can dribble, can shoot from long range, young and bound to appreciate as an asset which will excite Ashley.

• Ollieh51

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Thanks Jay, that makes a lot of sense but is a real shame!

• Burni

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Hahahahahaha Jay sorry to laugh at ur misfortune but that got me good!

Always liked routledge still don’t see how he isn’t epl quality, anyone seen the season review? For the first half he shows he is quick has good vision and passes very well! But hey ho EVERY1 disagrees with that…. I must be mad :-s