Yet Another Top Newcastle Target Attracted To PSG

Paris Saint-Germain announced in late may, that Qatari investors bought a controlling 70% stake in the club.

Blaise Matuidi – PSG an attractive club

That ended months of speculation about who the Ligue 1 club’s  new owners would be, and PSG’s former owners, the American group Colony Capital, had said in December of last year they were looking for new investors.

And since then the new investors have let it be known they are ambitious,  and ready to invest heavily in the club, which is one reason Newcastle target Kevin Gameiro moved there,  and why recent target Mevlut Erdinc wants to stay there.

An exciting target,  Newcastle have been linked with this summer is 24 year-old Saint Etienne defensive midfielder
Blaise Matuidi.

St Etienne have said there is €15M (£14.1M) release clause in his contract, and according to Matuidi there have not been any offers for him at that price:

“I have a contract with St Etienne and so I was prepared to return for pre-season,” “Having played well doesn’t guarantee a move.”

“My wishes haven’t changed, but there are things I can’t control. I’m a St Etienne player, but what is true today may not be true tomorrow.”

“PSG are an attractive club, although other clubs could be attractive too.”

Maybe the other clubs he refers to includes Newcastle United, but somehow we just cannot see Mike Ashley bidding £14M for this player.

Mike seems to want a good bargain every time, and has so far been unwilling to offer big fees for players, although Newcastle did offer £10M for Gameiro and £7M for Erdinc, but with no success.

Getting Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Demba  Ba and Sylvain Marveaux to Newcastle for a little under £10M is terrific buisness by the Tyenside club.

Two other top clubs, Liverpool and Arsenal are also thought to be interested in the 3 times capped French International,  who has played141 times with 3 goals for his present club, since he arrived at St Etienne from Troyes back in 2007.

The release clause seem a little big, and Blaise commented on it:

“That’s something that’s out of my control. The bosses are in charge here. I respect their wishes and I hope they’ll respect mine.”

“For now, I’m working on having a good start to the season, and that may be at St Etienne.”

There’s little doubt that with those words, Blaise is hoping for a move, but getting one at that price may be a little difficult for the Toulouse-born player.

• PSG are basically the French Man City.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Of course PSG are attractive, they have mega bucks to splash out now, can offer silly money.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:07 AM

The Sun are reporting today that:

“Nicklas Bendtner and Manuel Almunia will be offloaded this week after they were frozen out of Arsenal’s Far East tour. ”

Would love us to go for Bendtner.

• barryvenison

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Just a joke about our owner being a tighta**e, and i’ll change my tune when or if Ashley proves me wrong, besided i already posted my optimistic post for the day about Enrique.

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:11 AM

@NUFC_Richyg01

I agree. Thought about this recently and think he would be OK. To be fair to him he didnt exactly get a huge chance at Arsenal and it couldnt have helped the fact that he was constantly under pressure from the fans and other players.
    He’s not world class as he believes but I reckon with a run in the team he could get about 15 goals a season.

If we could get him for 7m same as we were willing to pay for Erding then i dont see why we shouldnt take a chance on him. Would have throught Arsenal would want 10m plus though.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM

@4

What does it take for him to prove you wrong?

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM

i agree..Bendtner would be good. if he played week in week out hed be a 20 goals per season striker. & hes not from africa so no ANC…& cos he thinks hes the best he wouldnt crack with no.9 pressure..& is epl proven…& if things dont go well we could still sell him for the same amount.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:15 AM

@5

He fits our profile well in terms of age and re-sale value.

I think with a decent crack of the whip, he has what it takes, also, he is less of a risk than importing a foreign player.

Players that are used to the EPL are worth a lot more than a punt on someone from elsewhere.

• tiotal football

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Not looking good for the spuds next season…
    WHAT A SHAME!

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

@9

No, coz if Modric leaves, Gareth Bale has said he will follow, that might prompt a mass exidus from WHL.

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:18 AM

@Nightfa11

I’d be surprised (in a good way) if bentner scored 20 goals in a season mind. Not many players are doing that anymore.
    But if he did sign for arguments sake then i would be over the moon if both he and Ba were to get close to the 15 goal mark.

• archaeomag

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

@3 The Mirror are reporting Bendtner is going abroad

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:19 AM

What does the article about Spuds say like lads?
    i’m guessing it’s to do with Modric wanting to leave?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

What about Huseklepp, one of our old targets:

• barryvenison

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

@6- I would say 3 or 4 good signings this summer. Matuidi would be ideal as would Nzogbia,and a quick striker who can finish and an extra defender. That’s if none of our regular starters leave ie. Enrique,Barton.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@15

So basically your saying he has to spend money?

Even if he managed to get Kaka, Ronaldo and Messi in on free transfers you, like many others, would not be happy, all comes down to money.

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@barryvenison

Dream world there like mate, but sure, if he were to come up trumps with those signings he’d win over a hell of a lot of fans.
    To be honest i’d be over the moon with n’zogbia and a centre forward. Someone in the same bracket as Erding, Bentner, Sturridge etc.

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM

@NUFC_Richyg01

To be honest mate he didnt mention money he said 3 or 4 good signings.

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:25 AM

P.I.

i really think hed do well.. fact is if we want to progress we need players with winning mentality.

as for spurs…they need to sell…they have a squad of high earners..theyre not in CL so they dont have a choice.. i like that:) harry made a huge mistake signing those strikers..theyre all average..almost 30..on 60+ k\week…good luck getting them of a wage bill:)

• ToonDownSouth

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Can’t wait to see floppy chops crying.

@ Vive le revolution

In response to your earlier post (had to pop out for a bit), yes that would definitely stop me getting angry.

If we got five or six new players in, and Ashley still made a profit by selling say Nolan, Enrique, Routledge, Ranger, and maybe another fringe player, then I would have no problem.

Just because we have money doesn’t mean we have to spend it – You can’t change the whole team, that would be a disaster.

It would just be nice to see us, for once, do what Liverpool, City & Chelsea do, on a lesser scale of course. Picking a target, and negotiating till we find a fee suitable. Not just scraping around for bargains, or offering average fees for quality players.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Some Sky Bet Odds involving us:

Dimitar Berbatov 5/1
    Nicklas Bendtner 4/1
    Rob Green 7/1
    Niko Kranjcar 10/1
    Nicolas Anelka 16/1
    Jermain Defoe 4/1
    Charles N’Zogbia 5/4
    Shane Long 9/2
    Daniel Sturridge 3/1

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

@18

Matuidi & N’Zogbia coming in for free then?

Your talking about £15-20+ M there for 2 players

• nightfa11

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

oh cmon..berbatovs the laziest player in the league..if we sign him ill be really dissappointed.. NO berbatov & no tottenham strikers!!!

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I would love to see Spurs do a nosedive.
    Hate saggy face Redknapp aswell, crooked as a question mark and he’ll gwt found out as a manager without his ability to buy players.

• davybtoon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM

think we will sign a striker this week
    ill b happy if we get erding/long hope we can get mcgugan n ntaylor in this week aswell n then a ryt winger dont think we want nzogbia, barnetta wud do me

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

@20

In terms of scraping around for bargains, I think we hae done bloody well, cannot judge all the new lads yet like, but HBA, Ba and Tiote prove that point.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Don’t need him. Better spend 15million elsewhere. 4 million for DJ Campbell is good too.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

@23

Don’t shoot the messenger mate!

The ones that interest me are:
    Daniel Sturridge 3/1
    Nicklas Bendtner 4/1
    Shane Long 9/2
    Charles N’Zogbia 5/4

Probably in that order too.

• barryvenison

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:32 AM

If we singed 4 more quality players for free than so be it. I would still like the money earned from player sales to be saved for future transfers when required but why is that so unreasonable to you?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM

@29

I never said it was unreasonable.

I just get the impression from so many people on here that their impression is, if the money is not spent straight away, then it is taken out of the club.

• Nevermind the B0110cks

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:36 AM

NUFC Richyg01

Did you read my Link to True Faith Blog?
    Very interesting indeed, and anyone who does not agree with it, really needs to have a look and re-evaluate their thought process on Mike and Roland

• P.I.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

NUFC_Richyg01

You said:
    @15

So basically your saying he has to spend money?

Aside from it being a ridiculoius comment, what do you want? For us not to spend any money at all. Of a fans calls for us to sign decent players do you say “it doesnt matter who we sign you just want to see us spend money”

Top and bottom is we want to see decent players come in who are currently available for transfer and are being touted to teams aswell as Newcastle.
    Im sure nobody gives a monkeys what the transfer fee is; just go and get the buggers. Improve the team!
    Matuidi and Nzogbia may be 15-20m worth of talent. Whats the got to do with anything. We want them because they are quality, not because they will cost a fee!
    In that case we might aswell start shouting to go and buy Chris Smalling. he’s just signed a new contract with Man Utd which means his transfer fee will have gone through the roof… Dont think hes that good a player and that but he’ll cost shit loads so lets get him in!

Daft.

• dave 1961

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM

it seems those weiardo’s are up to their tricks again naming their latest kid Harper Seven Beckham, they can join other weiardo’s like the Adams family, and Robinson Caruso, naming after weekdays these people just have too much money and it send them loopy.

• Klatoon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Anyone else think,if Ranger had put away that glaring chance against West ham at SJP,he would av’ bagged 3 or 4 more before the season ended?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM

@32

All I want to see is bodies in, I’m not interested in the price tags at all, at this moment, the price tag does not reflect the players quality whatsoever.

Carr has proved in the past that we can bring in unknown players, who may make us all whinge and moan at their signings, but come match day, they are the names we are shouting.

Fine, maybe it was a stupid comment, but just a way of putting over a fact that, some fans will not be happy unless money is spent, I’m not going to bring up the figure in question but it is made up of 2 numbers less than 6! lol

Dont get me wrong, I want the team to do well, and I want to see the team strengthened, but I think what has happened so far has improved us, and with best part of 2 months of the window remaining, we have plenty of time for further improvements.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM

@34

I do, I think that majorly knocked his confidence, you could see it in apperances after that, where he looked for a pass rather than taking a punt.

• Charlietoon

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I dont care how lazy he is f we got Berbatov I’d be over the moon. Clearly a good striker, always scores goals and if I remember correctly used to worship Shearer. Dont know how old he is but cripes if we could get three years out of him and give him the number 9 jersey I’d be stoked. I’d be happy with Bendtnar too or Sturridge BUT I want us to get rid of some of the strikers we have as well.

• Ollieh51

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

@ Klatoon

No because his finishing is still SHITE!

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

@37
    Thought Berbatov was the Shearer worshipper?

Bendtner is 24. I think

• banjax

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM

There are some wild comments on this blog from ‘ I dont care who comes in as long as we have bodies’ and a wish for D J Campbell ?? Are these wishes goin to improve the the Toon ? Rather keep what we’ve got than import faces in just for the thrill of it !