As Expected – Joey Barton Denied US Visa

We had mentioned this when Newcastle announced their American tour in April, that it was unlikely thai Joey Barton would get a US Visa to be able to tour America.

Joey Barton – with daughter on May 22nd

Once you have a felony charge, and in the summer of 2008, Barton was jailed after admitting assault and battery in the Liverpool city center which was caught on CCTV cameras, it is unlikely you will be given a US Visa – ever.

And as expeted, Joey has not been able to get a US Visa dn so will not tour the US with Newcastle.

On April 6th we had this article out which reported it was very unlikely Barton would be able to get a US Visa, because there are hard and fast rules, and of course they apply to everybody.

Barton has said he regrets not being able to go, but did not expect to be treated any differently than anyone else in a similar situation.

Newcastle will leave for their US tour this coming Sunday, with three matches on the agenda, against Sporting Kansas, Orlando City and Columbus Crew.

The news is that Barton will now travel to Holland with the Reserve team, which will play Hollandia, FC Utrecht and Almere City in a mini-tour.

This is what Barton said today:

“Unfortunately, I was denied my visa due to my past.”

“I regret not being able to travel with the club on this trip, but at the same time, I don’t expect to be treated any differently or more favourably than anyone else in a similar situation.”

“All I can do is continue to improve as a person, which is what I intend to do.”

“Again, apologies to all the NUFC supporters, as well as the fast-growing legions of football supporters, in the United States who I was looking forward to meeting.”

“I will see you in the future.”

Those are mature words from Joey and we hope he means exactly what he says,  but there have been some unwanted tweets from Joey recently, that have not helped him.

We assume the club and Joey himself, knew a few weeks ago he would not be given a US Visa, and that now was the time to let the news out.

Actions have consequences, and basically because of Joey’s jail time three years ago, he will never be allowed into the United States.

• Stuart

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Not surprising really. Infact I’d be a little angry if he was granted one as it would’ve been one rule for the rich and famous, one for the rest of us again.

It won’t make too much difference to Joey though if he’s going with the reserves instead, get his fitness up then join back up with the squad for the forientina game.

• ross armstrong

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM

ive said it b4 and i will say it again …….. i love joey barton but hes a bluddy idiot haha!!! hes totally spoiling his footy career with silly little things he keeps doing!! maybee this will give him a kick up the arse

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I see Leicester City have signed Paul Konchesky from Liverpoo.

Think they will take Rout next…

• Eastander

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Konchesky and Bothroyd signed for new clubs, thats 2 potential banana skins out the way

• Ollieh51

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Taken that well. Fair play Mr BarToon.

Glad he can come out and say that he’s aware his actions have consequences, so please tune it down on the Twitter fela!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I see in that pic, Barton is carrying his daughter around SJP, the last tool that did that is out the door (Owen), maybe just a coincidence.

I think that MA will press harder to get Barton out after this.

• Eyeball81

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Alrite guys, Heard on Real Radio when I was driving into work this morning…at daft o’clock….and apparently Tiote is on Chelseas radar!!! Now I havent seen any other news on this so don’t know how true it is but, If he goes for me it would have to be for similar money to carroll (probably never happen tho)

Fat mike wouldnt dare….would he??

• Nick 69

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:38 AM

‘he will never be allowed into the United States’……………..not strictly true Ed considering he WAS in the United States last month, he just isnt allowed in to ‘work’, and that is only for 5 years.

• ross armstrong

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM

eyeball cause he would he doesnt give a shite about us m8!! if tiote goes im runing infront of a bus

• Stuart

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM

@Eyeball – Chelsea may be looking at Tiote but he isnt their first choice. Villa-Boas wants to bring some player from Porto over, failing that Scott Parker may go back.

Tiote already rejected Chelsea in January as he didnt want to live in such a massive city. Can’t see much having changed.

If Chelsea offered £15m + Sturridge though I reckon that’d be a good deal as we could buy Matuidi with the 15m.

As I say though, can’t see him leaving.

• WesJameson

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:43 AM

If Tiote is sold, im pretty much done with football, 20 odd years of supporting this trully magnificent club, but enough is enough, i thought selling Ginola was bad, or even sacking Sir Bobby, but i cant handle this pr!ck Mike Ashley FFS

over 40 million quid on two players recieved, and 4.5 million spent, thats 1 tenth FFS, probably start supporting Wimbeldon FC or something 🙁

• Eyeball81

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Sorry to turn it into a sour note but this worrys me…. fair play to tiote for rejecting them in january.

Tiote for me would be the main player we should be looking to build a team around…not be looking to sell.

Fingers crossed it aint true

• stuart no9

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM

first of all , respect to JB, taking it on the chin, and getting on with getting fit for the new season. my message to joey would be , as much as fat Ba….d is trying every trick in the book to get rid of you NEVER let him break your spirit., hang out for one more season, then if you want to go, then go on a free , nothing would give me more pleasure than to see £4m slip through his grubby mits. eyeball, i dont think you have sussed greedy Tw?t yet have you, he would sell his granny if he thought he could get a few bob for her, so my answer to that is ” like a shot”

• Klatoon

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM

On this Tiote-Chelsea talk,surely AVB would prefer someone he’s worked with before and Porto have some cracking CM’s in Guarin,Moutinho. And lets not forget Chelsea already have Mikel and Ramires who can play DM. Cant imagine NUFC without Tiote.

• OttersPocket

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Everyone getting their knickers in a twist again over a paper rumour, no direct quotes linking him, Essien injured so who can they buy oh Tiote was good last year thats a good story!

WesJ 11 – Bit of a over reaction, Sacking Sir Bobby was a bit worse than possibly selling a player that has played 1 season for us.

• He rejected Chelsea in January.
    Cant see him leaving now when the team arguably has more potential and more french speaking lads (Tiote speaks better French then English apparantly)

Tiote wont leave.
    Also cwarr claims we have landed Mevlut Erdinc.

• cwarr07 Colin
    Mevlüt Erdinç is the top transfer target landed. #nufc
    6 minutes ago Favorite Reply

• JAMSHA

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM

His daughter looks lyk him

• davo

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Took that on the chin nicely Joey. Here’s hoping you and the club can sort things out and get another contract signed.Key player now even more crucial with Nolans departure.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM

WesJameson It’s AFC Wimbledon good club well run by the fans I was at their very 1st competitive game against Sandhurst in the Combined Counties game back in 2002. I’ve followed them ever since. I wish them best of luck in Div 2 next season. Wish the Toon was run like them.

• Burni

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Nick 69 that’s kinda what I was thinking, take it there is different criteria for work and leisure visas?

And otters I see your point but I also see wj’s we all know tiote has only played one season but when u see someone with so much potential and who was voted player of the year it’s bound to nark you especially after EVERYTHING mike Ashley has done there is such a thing as the straw that broke the camels back.

• Mags

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

NUFC_RichyG01 – (7) ….. Are you sure that was not Nolan’s kiddie who Barton was ‘minding’ with Nolan on crutches at the time?

Sad for Joey but he has dealt with the news very responsibly.

Ed can the USA not make special dispensations in certain instances??? Would like your response to this.

• Burni

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Vibe you still care wat cwarr says after being proved to be a liar? Can’t believe any1 does!

• Stuart

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Does anyone still believe cwarsehole? He’s been outed as being a bullsh1tter a million times now, and hes a bet welcher, promising £100 to the bobby robson charity if he was wrong then not paying it.

• Stuart

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM

@Mags – I wouldnt want them to make special dispensations for Barton. If I’d commited a crime I wouldnt be allowed to go over, why should he?

I like Joey, and hes a class player, but its a case of facing another punishment for his crimes, which is right imo.

• timuJ

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Actually Ed, get your facts straight. Its not true that Joey will never be allowed into the US, don’t know why you make such a big point of this anyway.

He will have to wait for a few years before they will consider letting him in. Joey himself has said that immigration will allow him in after 5 years of keeping clean. Joey is a troubled individual but I believe he is trying his damndest to change and I think it is working. Everyone deserves a second chance if they are truly remorseful about their past, including JB.

• Knocking on Beavans Door

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I posted last week that Joey would be denied entry and it was immediately poo-poo’d!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

@22

Just going by Ed’s Pic title of “Joey Barton – with daughter”, assumed it was his!

• Burni

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

TimuJ throughout my time of reading this it would appear that ed doesn’t particularly LIKE wor joey…… IMO

• timuJ

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM

yeah I got the same feeling. I understand the reasons but I think its just a case of siding with popular opinion.

• ArchieDog

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

I’m confused as to why he was denied, he was there last month and posted pictures on twitter from LA, why reject his Visa now?

• Stuart

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM

@archie – That was a holiday visa, he hasnt been granted a working visa to go over there.

• OttersPocket

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Burni

I totally agree, if Tiote is sold it would be a major setback and quite rightly fans would be angry, but we are going off a paper rumour here, no bids made never mind accepted.

• Davies

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Shame, but well taken. If he’s running down the last year of his contract, it would have been useful to play with his new team mates before the season kicks off, but at least he’ll be able to play the Fiorentina game.

Regarding Tiote, if Chelsea really d owant him, I’d hope that they would be prepared to part with Sturridge plus cash. We could always go in for Matuidi. Still just paper talk at the moment anyway.

• Basogeordie

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Has been denied a working visa, he can visit on holiday but not to work.

I believe on drugs convictions cannot enter the country at all???

• Burni

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Aye i see what u mean otters! Its just lazy journalism which is whippin up a storm! I DO hope this doesnt happen coz it means jimmymagpie, the guy who only comes on to be negative and then say i told u so when hes right, will be right and then id have to apologise 🙁

• lesh

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Evidently Joey boy’s been tw@tting on twitter, having a pop at the good ol’ USof A.

“Totally hypocrisy considering what they get up to but rules are rules………”

How to win friends and influence people eh

• shearer 9

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:45 AM

dont no y u put never as its only for the last 5 years lol he b aloud there in 2 years time