Steven Taylor Faces Fight For First Team Place At Newcastle

It’s an open question as the whether 25 year-old local lad Steven Taylor can get his first team place back in the Newcastle side.

Steven Taylor – can he regain first team place?

Last season it was Mike Williamson who was preferred buy both Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew, as Mike has played consistently well since he was signed for £1M from Portsmouth a short 18 months ago.

But when Steven got his chance in the last three games of the season, when Mike broke his arm in training no less, he took the chance with both feet and scored in each one of those last three games, and also played very solidly at the back.

And if he cannot get in at center-back maybe he can challenge Danny Simpson for the right back position, as we somehow need Steven’s goal-scoring prowess from set pieces in the side, somehow.

Taylor told the local Newcastle press:

“At Carlisle a year ago was my first game back from a knee injury in the January before.”  “I headed the ball for a corner and landed on my shoulder.”

“It was so frustrating, but that’s behind me now, it’s history.”  “I’m fit now, and just looking forward to the first game. That’s the main thing.”

Taylor was playing so well and enjoying the game so much that he hardly wanted the season to end, but it did, and now he will have a monumental task to regain his first team place at his local club.

The boy who was was raised by Geordie parents in Whitley Bay continued:

“Last season could have gone on longer – I didn’t want it to end.”  “It was good to end the season in the team, but we were disappointed to draw the last game.”

“The main thing is that we’re looking forward to the new season.”  “I’ve put my injuries behind me, and I just want to help the team this season.”

“Everyone’s looking forward to getting back out there for the Darlington game.”  “There’s a great spirit among the lads, and we just want to get started.”

“When I first started doing pre-seasons, some players would let themselves go over the summer, but that doesn’t happen now.”  “Players look after themselves in the summer, and that’s so important.

“They make sure they come back in good condition.” “If you keep yourself in good shape, it doesn’t take you so long to get back to full fitness.”

We would have liked some defensive reinforcements brought in during the summer, but if Tamas Kadar, Shane Ferguson and James Tavernier can press hard for a first team place in the back four, Newcastle should do okay this coming season at the back.

For the record, Steven has played 187 times for Newcastle with 13 goals, since making his first team debut in late March of 2004, when just 18, in the UEFA Cup Fourth Round second leg tie against RCD Mallorca.

What do you think?

• Tonytoon73

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM

He played well the last 3 games but he is very injury prone.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Steven is a top man and he is focusing on staying fit for the season and hes hoping for no set backs

• Tonytoon73

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Hope he stays fit he will score more goals than Ameobi. Lol

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Aye tony he is thats why hes not captain pards told him he hasnt played enough games over the last 2 seasons

• Tonytoon73

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

F@ck me first time ever I have got the gold medal. Lol, I should have put 1st

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

We need more goals from defenders we should get 5-10 from the back 4 imo

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Haha i had few the other day but i wasnt tempted it pi55es my rite off

• tom tomb

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM

How is he going to find it difficult to get in the 1st team? We have 3 x 1st team centre backs, I wager the lowest number in the league, the only cb after that is Kadar. He is as fit as Michael Owen! We need another one in desperately!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I reckon whoever is first should put TOON ARMY before they put their comment on stop this first carry on

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Aye tom we need more cover at the back

• ronnieafrican-equalizer

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM

he was put on the transfer list by fat cashley last season but somehow signed and i hope happens to barton

• a.barry

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

He’s a good player at times but to really establish yourself as a first choice centreback you need consistency. He does not have that so this season he will have to prove himself!

• tom tomb

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM

East, we need it sorted asap plus a striker of course!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM

And a rw and thats us sorted

• samigee14

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM

steven taylor and colo definatley our 2 best centre backs. williamson has over acheived while taylor has been injured. we also need another centre back because we only have 3 in that postition

• Toonboy_83

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM

You do know yesterday, I was at the game. A darlo fan ran over to the Newcastle side and began taunting the NUFC supporters, then the guy punched a steward and about 8 nufc supporters sprinted on and started beating him up, i was at the game.

• shamsoftabriz

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I’d like to figure out a way to get both Williamson and Taylor out there at the same time. Enrique, Colo, Taylor, and Wills should, in some configuration, comprise our back four. Simpson can come off the bench.

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM

i wonder how some can be so optimistic thinking we need players in. i got a sneaky feeling we are done this window.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Ilovetoon do you not think we need players in??

• BouncingClown

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Taylor is in no way a right-back. Hopefully he’ll manage to stay fit through pre-season and claim a place alongside Coloccini against Arsenal. The side needs his passion and his forward ability- so ably highlighted at the end of the last campaign. Williamson has done brilliantly, far better than I thought he would when he signed if I’m honest- but doesn’t offer as much leadership, drive and passion as Taylor.
    Taylor was shown up massively as no right-back when he did feature in that position last season, and a lack of decent cover in both full-back positions is a continual worry (for the last few seasons!).

• toonfan76

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM

@ilovetoon8788
    If we are done for this transfer window then i’m not going to be happy. We need at least three more players. CB cover, RW and at least 1 more striker. And that’s minimum.

• tom tomb

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Ha ha that will be us sorted!

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:34 PM

@eastandgeordie

of course i know we need players in. we got a first 11 followed by a bunch of kids! we need atleast 4-5 players to rotate around for depth. fringe players like maybe pratley, williams or gibson.

but im just saying. based on pardews words and ashleys track record in lies. id say we are done this window. no more incomings.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM

To be fare pards has said 2 more before the window shuts 1 before the tour i dont think we will get one before the tour but we will add

• toonfan76

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Pardew is full of it, he says what is expected of him. When the transfer window closes he will say “We tried to get players in but they just wouldn’t come.” I’m usually pretty optomistic but this transfer window is gonna finish before it’s started properly. If we get the three players we need then I will say I was wrong, but this lot that are in charge of our club are turning me into a very pesimistic supporter, I just hope that the players have enough in them to prove me wrong.

• toonfan76

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:48 PM

When I say the players I mean, If we do well as a team. Finish in the top 8 is good progress in my opinion. Euro spot would be even better.

• Klatoon

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Whats this about us turning down a chance to sign an England international? Hope it was Crouch or Heskey

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I reckon top ten we cant compete with the top 5 until all these rules kick in

• Stevieee

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I’m guessing Bothroyd was the England international we turned down.
    Back on topic, I’d rather see a Colo/S.Taylor partnership at the back if I’m honest. S.Taylor has said he doesn’t want to play RB and Pardew said a while back it isn’t his natural position so I would definitely play him CB.

• 09nufc09

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Msidouglas on twitter saying some interesting developments this week and a new striker target is in the sunday sun tomorow.

• sidekick

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Last year we brought in relatively unknowns ,Ben Arfa and Tiote, in the last week of the transfer window.
    I believe we will bring in only one more player, a really good striker, by the end of this transfer window.
    Keep the faith (and your fingers crossed) !

• Andy

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Ben Arfa wasn’t unknown. He was touted as one of the best youngsters coming through 2-3 years ago and him and benzema were being reported with a £50m double transfer. Suppose he’s unknown to those who only watch EPL. Would rather Taylor at cb just hope he stays fit for a whole season this year as i don’t know if he has done that yet! Back 4 lacks depth and needs adding to at lb and cb. RW isn’t essential as we have sm jonas and jb who can play there along with HBA if needs be. But i would like a new rw. i have faith in there being a striker brought in and if injuries are kind to us i think we will finish top 10. If injuries are not so kind and new lads don’t settle we could be in the battle. Looking forward to the season starting though! HWTL

• 09nufc09

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Stevieee… Pardew said a while ago we are aiming for far higher class of player for the first team rather than championship players. ntaylor, mcgugan etc are all considered development players.

After watching some highlights from last night i think its safe to say ben arfa hasnt lost it, still got a hell of a left footed shot and finds space from nowhere on the edge of the box (like everton shot). Best looked good, cabaye was always in space and was pinging balls round for fun, samiameobi took his goal well and looks quite quick, shame vuckic was played out of position again but i still think hes very promising and accoring to lee ryder and beardsley moyo played well for the reserves the days. Good signs for the season ahead.

Anyone know if the amirican tour is going to be broadcast on radio or tv?

• Tom_Toon

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Sidekick – Ben Arfa was only unknown to a hermit living in a barn in outer mongolia for their life, not any normal person.

• Tom_Toon

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM

09nufc09 – you got a link to these highlights please mate?

• Tom_Toon

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM

oh and as for Saylor, he is still a massive liability positionally and not as good as Williamson IMO, I feel more confident with Williamson in defence.

• Andy

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:17 PM

09nufc where did you find highlights?

• Any one know if it’s true that Pappa is going to have a trial with us when we are in USA?

Wonder what my son will say if I tell him Papa German for dad) is going to have a trial for Newcastle?

• Felipe

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Williamson ias good cover but if Taylor’s fit he starts, no doubt about it.

• G

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM

ST is the 2nd best CB we have on our books, after Colo. He used to make mistakes a couple of years back, and still gets crucified for them now. Last season Willo and Colo had an excellent partnership going, that only and idiot would have broken up. This season, I expect ST and Colo to be the starting pairing. Just my opinion like.