Coloccini Starts English Lessons Again – To Be Good Captain

Fabricio Coloccini had a very tough first season on Tyneside, after he joined the club in August of 2009.

Coloccini  – looking for help from above?

And of course that season ended in relegation and quite a few Newcastle fans at the time questioned if he was worth the £10.3M Newcastle paid Deportivo for the Argentine Intentional, and of course Newcastle were also relegated after his first season in May of 2009.

But in the last couple of seasons Colo has been one of Newcastle’s best players, and that culminated with the Argentine being appointed the new Newcastle captain earlier this month,  after Kevin Nolan left the club in June and elected to go to second division West Ham for the five year contract he craved.

Coloccini says he will not be as loud as Kevin was in the dressing room, but he knows how to lead men.

Newcastle flew to Kansas City yesterday for a three games and 10 day tour of America, and today, Fabricio talked about being appointed the Newcastle manager:

“It was a surprise to be appointed captain because there are a lot of big players here.”

“The club has a lot of leaders and I am sure the manager could have chosen any of them to be captain. That’s why it’s a surprise he picked me, but I’m really, really happy to have been chosen.”

“This is the first time I have ever been a captain. I spoke with my English teacher last week because I have to start my lessons again.”

“I left my course last year because my English had improved to a certain level, but now I am the captain, I think it needs to be even better.”

“It is my responsibility to improve. Now I am the captain I will have a lot more speaking to do and I want to be able to do that properly.”

“In Spain the captain is normally the player who has been at the club for the most years. That is how most Spanish clubs choose their captain.”

“Being a captain in England is different. It is a much bigger responsibility and I am ready for that. The fans and the press give the captain more importance and you are seen as much more of a figurehead.”

Coloccini has become a firm fan favorite on Tyneside, and in our poll for captain earlier in the summer, he received 31% of the vote and was only behind local lad Steven Taylor,  who got 36% of the vote.

But there is still a question as to whether Steven can regain his first team place at Newcastle, and that maybe that was one reason Fabricio got the job from manager Alan Pardew.

But in our poll asking if Coloccini was a good choice as captain after he had been appointed, a whopping 93% thought  he was a good choice, and so it seems manager Alan Pardew made an excellent  choice.

Fabricio needs to also show his best form throughout the coming season, and of he can do that he’ll not go too far wrong.

We think Coloccini will make a fine captain for  Newcastle,  and wish him all the very best for next season.

• Edd Case

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Gold Medal

• Edd Case

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM

……………

Anyhow, moving on…

How wonderful to see that Colo is seemingly really taking the captaincy seriously.
    I’m not suggesting he wouldn’t but it would have been much easier to not bother.

Lovely stuff.

Now, let’s get some new players in.

• hainesy

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Colo as manager 😀

• ilovetoon8788

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hope he continues his transition to be a Top Quality centre back. He was 1 of the best defenders when he was playing for Deportivo. He was great majority of the games last year. Maybe this is the year where he gets recognized as the best centre back in England. Here’s hoping.

• Eastander

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Collo isnt the biggest defender in the world and a lot of his game is about reading the game and being clever enough to be in the right place at the right time, the english game is obviously different to the spanish game so it was going to take him a while to adapt and now he has he is turning into one hell of a defender again! All hail sideshow collo!

• thai-mag

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM

Darren Clarke winning the open yesterday cost Ashley £2 million sponsership money, hope he does’nt take it out of whats left of the transfer money

• liddz

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:34 AM

what a GREAT story…

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Just goes to show how much colo loves this club jose could do with a lesson from him

• tynesidetommo

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Good words from Colo and so pleased the armband wasn’t given to that t*t taylor

• Cheick and Bake

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM

i really hope collo gains more confidence with the captaincy … and @9 why is taylor a t*t???

• Rotonda heights

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM

because he thinks he is a lot better than he actually is !
    Taylor is the geordie bramble as a defender, as an attacker he maybe would be a lot better.

• wynsleap

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Colo was the ONLY candidate for the captain’s armband.
    He is a tremendous player, classy, assured and dedicated and I’m sure will make an excellent ambassador for this club.
    I think if it had been Joey as captain it would have sent out all the wrong messages and given the press a field day, much as I admire him for the way he has tried to turn his life round.
    Colo – the perfect choice by a country mile.

• tynesidetommo

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM

@10

Reckon he’s immature and is not leadership quality although I don’t question his commitment to the Toon. Just can’t see him commanding much respect from the other squad members.

• peterk3

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

thai mag
    Why start the negativity. So what he payed £2,000,000 out. Why assume its from NUFC. He no doubt has money in lots of other places.It doesnt take long for someone to start to post rubbish.

• Geordie Matriarch

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Good idea of yours about S Taylor, Rotonda heights.