Why Would Newcastle Want To Sell The Improving Leon Best?

Leon Best has told the local Newcastle press  today that he is fighting for his place at Newcastle.

Leon Best – improved this year big time

That’s good to hear because we were really surprised that  Alan Pardew put Leon Best up for sale a month or so ago.

That was after the 24 year-old former Coventry City striker hit 6 goals in just 12 appearances this year, and he did extremely well and scored some very good goals, and was also complimented by the manager for his excellent play.

And not only that that, but he was also forming a good relationship with the fans, as Leon was showing he has a great fighting attitude and a great temperament.

In our poll that was put out on 11th July,  we asked whether Newcastle should give Best another season in which to prove himself and here were the results:

Does Leon Best Deserve One More Season To Prove Himself At Newcastle?

• Yes (79%, 2,297 Votes)
  • No (15%, 430 Votes)
  • Not Sure (6%, 167 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,891

Loading ... Loading ...

So the results of our poll jibe with what Leon is hearing from the local  fans in Newcastle, who seem to be backing him to stay on Tyneside.

Best was today speaking from the Newcastle  training base at Swope Park in Kansas today:

“When I’m out with my missus, or at the Metro Center, the feedback I get off the fans is that they don’t want me to go.”

“They want me to stay and that I deserve another chance.“   “It’s a matter of keeping fit and injury-free, and fighting for my place.”

“I’ve been in this position time and time again. I’ve got to look back at last season for confidence.”

“I think people know I can do it in the Premier League now, and it’s about fighting for my position.”

“There’s a new striker in who I already get on very well with, and I’d be delighted to play alongside him, or fight him for a place.”

“Competition for places brings the best out of a team – I’ve always believed that.”

And Best has surprisingly said the weather over here is lovely, it’s close to 100 degrees F with very high humidity.

That means that when you are outside, which is not a good place to be in mid-day and the afternoon, you sweat an awful lot and lose a lot of fluids.

The American footballers have had trouble in the past, training in this hot dangerous weather, and you have to drink lots and lots of fluids and make sure you don’t get heat stroke.

In short it’s dangerous weather to be exerting yourself.

Leon continued:

“It’s lovely weather and beautiful facilities, so we can concentrate and work hard while we’re here.”

“It’s about putting your body through a lot of stress, but when you’re doing it in a nice environment it makes it that tiny bit easier.”

“I think we need to find out a bit more about each other, and this is what it’s about.”

“What you’ve got to maintain out here is getting a lot of fluids. It’s very, very hot, but you want the heat over the rain.”

“It’s beautiful, and we just need to keep working hard and remember what it’s about.”

“It’s about getting fit and getting ready for the first game.”

We hope Leon gets a chance tomorrow night against Sporting Kansas to show what he can do leading the line, but it could be that new boy Demba Ba makes his debut for Newcastle, at least in a friendly game.

It will also be hot and humid tomorrow night,  because all the heat of the day will still be lingering in the evening,  so it will be tough weather for the lads to play in.

A win would be great, but it will not be easy,  because there’s no doubt that Sporting Kansas will want to add the Newcastle scalp to that of Manchester United, whom  they beat last summer 2-1 in the same stadium.

• WPMK

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Yes!!!!!!! Give the boy a chance.

• NUFCFAN76

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Toon Army!

• G

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I think LB deffo deserves another shot. The more I see of him, the more I think he can do. He did ok in the fizzy pop division for us, but because of the lack of goals people gave him a hard time. When he came into the side last season, he looked like he belonged there for the most part. I think he can get better, and provide us with more options up front. It would be foolish to sell him in my opinion.

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM

honesty i dont care if we keep him or sell him.. sure he scored 6 goals..but 4 of them were a deflection so we cant really consider him as a clinical finisher.. luck was a big part of those 6 goals. but like i said..i dont really care.. as long as smith, xisco & perch leave ill be happy.

• P.I.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I voted YES to give him another season, but that would be conditional on moving one of the other strikers out. If I had the choice it would probably be Loverman.
    He’s a decent back up striker as he runs the channels well but hasnt got the physicality required.
    And you cant sell Shola because he’s a geordie legend. Lovely guy, loyal, cant hit a cows arse with a banjo but thats not why we love him…

Loverman goes then yeah keep Best. We DEFFO need another striker alongside Ba as first choices though…

1st choice – Demba Ba
    2nd choice – (or 2 up front) – Erding or Long (for example)
    3rd choice – Leon Best
    4th choice – Super-Shola Ameobi
    5th choice – Phil Airey
    6th choice – Super-Sammy Ameobi (if doesnt go on loan)

• One reason and one Reason only on why Newcastle Under the ownership of cashley would consider selling Best is

PROFIT

End of story.

• ende

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, let’s lose more strikers when we’re already short on ’em. Real smart. ffs

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM

ende

short of strikers? shola, loven, xisco, best, ranger, ba, arrey

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM

& we plan to buy one more..so thats 8

• P.I.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Who’s Arrey?

Arrey Redknapp?

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM

8 strikers & we plan to play with 1 forward with HBA in supporting role. 3 or 4 can leave

• WWJBD

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Short of strikers with good quality I think he meant

• max

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

well, if fat ashley want to sell him,, what can we do???

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM

WWJBD

probably.. but paying 8 average strikers..now thats a waste of money. even man utd only had 3 really last season & they played CL football.. id personally sell xisco, best, loven..& let shola go at the end of the season.

ba, new striker, shola & airey (& ranger on loan) that should be enough. especially if we plan to play with 1 striker..& hba in supporting role.

• Andy

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM

i’d keep best. He’d benefit from a bit of carpet football which is what we’re meant to be playing in oppose to the kick and rush long ball we played last year. He’s good enough to keep. Ship lovenk and ranger. Get another in and we have v good options at cf

• P.I.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM

*Ba
    *Possible New Striker
    *Best
    *Shola
    *Airey

No room at the inn for the others which mean we need to be waving goodbye to;

*Loverkrands – £free probably
    *Xisco – £1m
    *Ranger – £1.5 – 2m

• WWJBD

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Personally Id ship out Xisco Peter(upsettingly) and Ranger. Airey out on loan.

???, Ba, Best and Shola stay.

And yeah the 1 up front will be good but I doubt we will play like that for the full year. Injuries and player form will dictate how we play rather than plans 🙂

• quitesimple

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

The club needs to think ‘what if best did what he did this season for a full 2 seasons for us. think of what hed be worth then!’

• belfastmagpie87

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

at least lovenkrands works hard.
    shola is a lazy c@nt.

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

yeah..we have a lot of dead wood.. i just hope smith, xisco & perch leave.. smith really is a terrible football player..everybody knows that..including him..hes got too..he should man up & say thanks for making me rich..good bye. xisco..well..i think he has potential, but noone of the managers we had wanted to work with him so sell..& as for perch..the most unconfident player ive ever seen.. i shake when he plays..so sell.

• WWJBD

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I doubt Shola will be away this summer and neither will Peter. Hopefully Best will keep showing the fire in his belly and earn a stay.

Xisco maybe and Ranger hopefully. Airey will probably stay in the reserves.

• joppadoni

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Best looked sharp at darlo i thought. good feet

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Nightfa11- Best is above average in my opinion. I think if he gets a decent run in the first team he will bond really well with Ba and/or Ben Arfa. We should keep him loan Ranger out for a season, keep as back-up or replace Lovenkrands and my dream of finally seeing the back of Ameobi sadly will never come so I would just let him run down his contract too. Airey is an unknown still, remember how highly people thought of Chopra and now look where he is. I would send Airey out on loan as well. We NEED TO BUY A QUALITY STRIKER!!!!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Jeffren anyone?

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM

JP…from The Rock

i agree, but id keep airey in reserves especially if we buy a top striker.. id keep him to learn from him & then send him out on loan. this year ranger needs to change enviroment the most. i think he ll come around..1 year is a lot when ure a kid.. enough time to ammm…”modify yourself” =)

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Nightfa11 – Yeah and he needs ‘modifying’ lol I have high hopes for Ranger and Best. I just don’t understand the clubs view in putting Best on the Transfer list- well that’s only speculation. I have seen no confirmation from the club at all on this. I really hope Best stays. I can only think that Fat Ash just sees him as profit now that he’s scored a bit in the premiership OR that Pardew has used this technique as a way for motivation as he can see his potential and wants him to realize that quickly for next season.

We need to bring in a quality striker like Strurridge or Erding asap too. I would love it if we also went for Boudebouz but I guess that’s just me dreaming again.

• nightfa11

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM

JP…from The Rock

getting Boudebouz would be a great tactical move, cos hes best mates with marvin marin:D yeah priority should be a striker…& a CB if u ask me.

• Stuart

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM

19 Jul 2011 17:14:34
    Newcastle back in Bendtner hunt after his expected move to Hamburg has all but fallen through, Everton still enquiring about a loan deal but havnt cash to buy, which could favour the toon

19 Jul 2011 17:07:51
    Tranquillo Barnetta is another one that has come back up in connection with Newcastle this week, anybody know if theres much truth to it? one of the few rumours that isnt going away, and there was genuine interest a month or so ago

Two new rumours from newcastlerumours. I’d definately take both of them but I can’t see either happening lol.

• Felipe

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

@belfastmagpie87: On what basis do you say Ameobi is lazy? He’s a classic hold up centre forward who you wouldn’t expect to go charging up and down the pitch, no more than Shearer did. I saw him work his bollocks off when we played the mackems last year. I really hate so called supporters who lay into someone who has given 16 years to the Toon.

• GoalsBringSmiles

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:05 PM

move him on he’s crap

• JAMSHA

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Yea would love jeffren , ship out xisco or smith n get jeffren in

• moonraker

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Shola’s given 16 years to the Toon! we’ve made a very average player very rich.

I don’t blame Shola, good luck to him but, quite simply if he’s one of our main strikers we will win f*** all!

• banjax

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

LB had an injury prone season, and so didnt get as many games. That is one excuse, but if the Toon are going to improve the depth and quality of the squad then the jury is out on LB. Yes he scored a few goals, but we signed him from Coventry City where he wasn’t featured in their first team – for whatever reason. So all we have to go on is the few goals he scored. Sorry, but if Toon aspire to climb the premiership, we have to acquire better quality players to create true competition for places. At the moment clubs like Liverpool are selling better players than Toon want to keep and that will get us nowhere but relegated. We need more quality bringing in like Cabaye and BA etc, but we also need one or two top quality proven strikers like Berbatov and Anelka, older yes, but needed to give us goals until our younger prospects can take over in a couple of years. If Ashley wants success, he will be happy to see a clear out of players like Smith, Lovenkrands, Xisco and others to release wages to bring in quality Strikers like Berbatov and Anelka. If he doesn’t, we continue struggle at best, at worst we get relegated, in which case players like Best will shine !

• wynsleap

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:30 PM

“Why would Newcastle want to sell the improving Leon Best?”
    Maybe because we could go out and pay very little for a striker better than he is?
    Championship quality at best. Premiership quality? No way.
    Be honest – ask yourselves which decent team in the Premiership (apart from the bottom two or three) would take him?

• cupiddstunt

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Felipe @ #30 you will probably find that the same posters that bang on about Shola being lazy also bang on about selling Xisco and Smith and they just publicly prove how dense they are.

Xisco and Smith will in all probability just see out their contracts as there is no club prepared to pay the wages that they are on just now for the quality of player they appear to be.

As for Ameobi, NUFC has been monitoring players for quite some time now as in computerised stats, and if Ameobi was as lazy as some of the bell ends on here keep going on about then he would have been gone a long time ago.

Ameobi 16 years and almost as many managers and they all stuck by him should tell you something but as I say some of the bell ends on here obviously know better than the managers and so spout their nonsense.

You will never stop them as they are too thick to see the wood for the trees.

As for Best the lad shows good movement and plenty of energy and endeavour and if the tactics were set up for him and his strengths I think he could make a very good EPL striker.

• cupiddstunt

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM

The only way I can see either Smith or Xisco being moved on is by NUFC subsidising the wages to which ever club takes them, it could be either by a direct wage subsidy or as knock down transfer price.

Either way NUFC have to accept that they are going to take a big hit to move them on.

• tequilamag

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Totally agree, Shola has always given his all for the mags.Playing with injuries when others would not be seen. Apart from anything else i love him for the same reason why the mackems loathe him. He always scores against them ,

• Brutooon

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:13 AM

As long as Best is ahead of Shola then i be fine with that

Best got 6 goals last season and shola got 7 goals (remember shola start more games too)

• wynbae

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM

‘In short it’s dangerous weather to be exerting yourself.’ There’s one or two of them should be safe then