If You Let Your Best Players Leave – You’ll Never Build A Good Team

There was news today linking Joey Barton with Manchester United, and they don’t come much bigger than that.

Joey Barton – will see out his 5th year at Newcastle

But Joey has used that twitter account of his, to say that he will be staying at Newcastle until the end of his contract, which runs out at the end of next June.

It seems that Joey’s plan is to see out his contract and then next summer pick up some bumper contract with another club, and in addition get a decent signing-on fee.

The exact same thing could happen with Jose Enrique too, if Newcastle cannot sell him this summer or in January.

It could be that the Red Devils could still be interested in Joey next summer, and he certainly wouldn’t cost them much in transfer fees, like nothing.

Manchester United were linked with a move for him today in the Sunday Times, but Joey had this to say about that,  via twitter:

“Nice to be linked with some big clubs but I honestly don’t want to leave Newcastle,” “Thanks but no thanks.”

“I will most likely leave Newcastle at the end of the season, when my contract expires and I am no longer employed.  It’s out of my hands.”

It’s just a pity that Newcastle are still willing to  let one of their best players leave,  and Joey wants to stay at Newcastle too.

As Alan Pardew said in January – if you keep letting your best players leave you’ll never build a good team.

We could soon have lost Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and maybe even Joey Barton come September.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Couldn’t agree more I can’t see why we don’t offer him a 3 year extension he will only be 32 when it ends & will still have some sell on value. He is without doubt currently our best midfielder

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:18 PM

I just love Barton’s commitment! But lads here’s a joke for ya’s

What’s the difference between Amy Winehouse and Sir Alex?

Sir Alex will be playing giggs in August

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Very rarely agree with Pardew but he’s right in this instance, Barton I’d say is the player we need this season if we are to achieve any progress. Where he plays I don’t know, I would have built my team around Barton and Tiote in the center.

• Barras

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM

@AMEOBI

Truly hilarious. Death is such a funny topic….you worthless piece of shit.

• Andy

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM

If you drink all the milk you’ll never make a good cheese

• Spike

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I wonder if Man U have the ££££££millions needed to afford a free transfer next summer?

• Muzza

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

As much as I admire Joeys character and commitment I do think that if Man Utd were seriously in for him he’d be gone. Since these reports are pure speculation he can dismiss them and come out looking like someone dedicated to the cause. I think if SAF came knocking with a real offer of CL football and a good chance of playing in a team that can win the PL then he’d be daft not to go given the crappy way he’s been treated.

On a funnier note, Mike Ashley was in Newcastle today visiting Sports Direct stores. At the Team Valley this morning he parked his flashy Audi R8 Spider in the middle of 4 disabled bays and got a parking ticket. Cheeky git actually argued with the attendant; so much for him being a shy, quiet fella. He was a right bollock about it apparently.

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

@ Barras,
    Get some f@acking humour man geez u girl!!

• JAMSHA

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I Do have a feel that barton will be offerd a new contract in the mid season.

• Davies

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Still don’t care if Barton goes this season.

• JAMSHA

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I Do have a feelg that barton will be offerd a new contract in the mid season.

• Spike

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Didn’t Barton say a few weeks ago that unless a CL team came in of rhim he intended to stay and see out his contract?

• Barras

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM

@AMEOBI

Get some decency. I wonder if you would see it as humorous if someone made a joke about the death of one of your relatives or friends.

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Dude.. Who gives a flying sht about Amy Winehouse?
    Was a joke don’t like it fair enough.. I found it funny!

• Dannyo

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM

@ AMEOBI

Didn’t Giggs retire…?

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Didnt barton also say he would take a pay cut to stay here and then kicked up a fuss that he he wouldnt get a penny more than what hes on now?

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Danny, nah mate only scholes

• veto

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM

gutted were ripping the spine out of a very good team we could have built on .
    still sceptical as to who’s benefit the current regimes transfer policy is for .
    sounds alot like sports directs business plan

• Barras

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:35 PM

@AMEOBI

I do. The same way i wouldn’t find someone else dying as funny. I take back calling you worthless. But the “piece of shit” part still definitely stands, until you figure out that death isn’t something to laugh at.

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM

eaststandgeordie1982, no he said he hadn’t been offered a contract full stop, in that he hadn’t been offered a penny!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Mactoon i thought him and nolan rejected contracts because of the length?

• Tinman

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM

@AMEOBI

Barras is right… There are plenty of funny jokes, but that one was shit

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:45 PM

In January it was said they had rejected contracts but who knows, I believe Barton on his twitter when he said about not being offered a contract, I don’t believe other itk sources generally but believe whatever you want tbh.

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Well Barras, sorry aight

• oldbobaycliffe

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM

manu sold ronaldo .liverpool sold torres its what you do with the money a big club spends the money on quality we spend carrols money and nolans on free transfers and wages .liverpool spent torres money plusa bit extra on 2 good vreplacements.yet this season have spent another 50 mill puts us to shame

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Thats all that i have heard aint on twitter so i didnt know barton had put that! i think if he has a good first half of the season he will be offered a new one hopefully you never know he mite get on before the arsenal game hes worked hard to sort his bad side out he deserves a new contract

• JAMSHA

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Dalglish wants Hugo Rodallega For £9mill , surely da foolz r getn mugd

• NUFCFAN76

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I think that there needs to be a policy instituted by the club: NO TWITFACE. Every boring, mind-numbingly mundane, insipid, trite remark posted can be viral in a squad.

Loose lips sink ships and this lad can have an argurment in an empty room and is so vocal you can hear it going on from the next. I don’t disagree with him, it’s just the way it’s being handled: FFS sort it already!

It’s just not good saying he wants to stay then heaping on a passive agressive statment in a, “I’m the victim tone” basically saying, “…balls in MA’s half.” We know Ashely by now: he’s a child. You think he’s gonna be over the moon about this recent post after the last few? Or Llambias? And Pards is in the middle as he of course wants him to stay. Bad blood.

Not a good example for the youngn’s in Holland either. Sooner or later, this sort of “post what I want BUT on the tightrope” feeling will bite us in a worse way.

• MacToon

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM

eaststand, I’d love to think Joey would be offered a new contract but think Ashley has had enough of him and Barton’s had enough of Ashley only Barton wont be pushed about as easily as some. If Barton stays for this year he will give 100% because he’s that type of person imo.

He also said on his twitter or interview (somewhere) something like…. he won’t get a contract while Newcastle has this owner….. sad state of affairs.

• Barras, tell me a joke where nobody is offended. Bet you can’t?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I’m guessing ameobi is about 15.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Agreed he will give his all it will be a shame to lose a player of joeys quality from what he has shown what he can do over the past 2 seasons

• AMEOBI

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Rotonda, 19 mate.

Reet am sorry for who I’ve offended.. Jesus

• Pit yacker

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Ameobi, I may not agree with your taste of joke but you have every right to make it, just like barras can be enraged by it and others can jump on the self righteous bandwagon 🙂

• NUFCFAN76

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM

@ GG #33:

Why’d the turtle cross the road?

To prove he wasn’t a chicken.

Sorry to all farm animals reading this.

• GeordieToon89

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM

see Menez is going to PSG for little as 8million euros

• Barras

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM

@AMEOBI

No problem bud.

@GeordieGerman

Are you trying to suggest offending a mackem through football based jokes, or offending someone about their weight etc, is in the same category is making jokes about someone who has recently died.

I don’t see the connection.

1 2 3 11