The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

In Honor Of One Norwegian Newcastle Fan

1:12 pm, Monday, July 25th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

We all are only too aware of the terrible tragedy that happened in Norway last Friday, and the whole Norway nation is now in mourning, along with the rest of us.

Unfortunately, one of the 93 victims (and the death toll is still rising) was 21 year old Newcastle fan Tore Eikeland, who was regarded as one of the top political prospects and talents in Norway.

Tore was the leader of AUF Hordaland, which is the young Labour Party in Hordaland, one of 19 states.

Tore was one of the members of the Norwegian Newcastle United Supporters and he was also a writer for the Norwegian blog for the local Newcastle fans in Norway.

Whether we like it or not, Newcastle United fans across the world are family, and those of us who are daft enough to write Newcastle blogs should maybe think of ourselves as a special family too – and we should certainly not be competitors.

And perhaps we should all start treating each other with just a little bit more civility – and maybe we can all start doing that in memory of  Tore Eikeland.

I send my sincere and deepest regrets to his family and friends of this loyal Newcastle United supporter, whose life was so tragically cut short.

May Tore Eikeland rest in peace.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 xmindcrimex // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Rest In Peace Tore!

Words are hard to come by with such a tragedy.

• 2 joseismyhero // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Sheer class ed
    May he RIP

• 3 ChrisE89 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM

When I first saw this on the news, there were less than 10 confirmed dead. I woke up the next morning and it had reached 80.
    Chilled me down to the bone and reading more about it is almost too hard to do.

R.I.P Tore, aswell as everyone else.

• 4 belfastmagpie87 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

rip

is that the norwegian magpie,that comments on here???

• 5 rknufc // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

rip

• 6 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

RIP

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Hope his family regroup and may his soul find peace.

RIP

• 8 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Belfast
    I hope not, that guy always seemed a nice bloke

• 9 Tal_nufc4eva // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

quality ed! :)
    R.I.P young’n! <3

• 10 Mings // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Im from Norway! I can’t understand that someone would do such a thing, true horror! So much teenagers killed :(

• 11 geoff777 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

R.I.P. Tore

NUFC fan and young socialist … a sad sad loss.

• 12 RJM // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

RIP Tore, any fellow newcastle fan is a friend to me.

In regards to something gonz said on the last post about bringing in enrique’s replacement I think it could be a good idea. Firstly it gives him (M’Bengué?) a year to get used to the way we play and train etc before he is relied on as the sole left back – it took enrique a while before he was no longer out of his depth. But also it could mean that enrique puts in a lot more effort to get noticed by the top clubs and spain national team – he can’t attract interest from the bench.
    Feel free to disagree with me but i would like to know what you think..?

• 13 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

R.I.P

• 14 belfastmagpie87 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM

ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

aye m8,theres defo a guy called norwegian magpie,who comments on here like.

• 15 UpTheRoad // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Saddened by all deaths </3 RIP Tore and other victims.

• 16 CLOIN // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM

R.I.P MATE

• 17 toonruz // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

rip
    gonz
    stop slagging keegan off please nufc would not be where we are today if it was not for keegan , and if i was manager i would of walked out to , he not a puppet like pardew

• 18 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

The more I hear about this the more I want the guy who did it to suffer. Death is the easy way out for him. I say the Norwegians borrow Guantanamo bay for a bit and tortue this sick man

• 19 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I hope the guy who did this suffers

• 20 lloydie780 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM

RIP

• 21 cousto // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Seriously guys, Ed’s put this up for us to acknowledge and pay our respects to a young life ended by a man who thought his views were the only ones that mattered.

Desist with the negative views on matters which in the grand scheme of things are insignificant and which are beyond your control for the time being please.

I can’t imagine what he went through in his final moments (nor would I want to), my sympathies are with his family and friends at this time and hopefully his killer will be brought to justice.

RIP

• 22 gonz // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

RIP to all the souls lost during that tragic event in Norway.

@RJM – totally agree mate, having a new left back will affect the way Jonas plays aswell. So, we might have to switch him on the right side if/when Enrique leaves because those two compliment eachother in the way they play.

• 23 AMEOBI // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Wow R.I.P.

• 24 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Gonz
    Can you stop talking about football on this page and move it too another. Be respectful man

• 25 gonz // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

TOONRUZ, calm yourself mate. I never “slagged” Keegan off. I just called him a quitter, which he is. He’s quit at practically every team he’s managed and I know some people on here hate it when someone says ‘Fact’, but that is an actual fact. I loved it when he came back and like I said he was totatlly underminded when Ashley brought in DW and I understand on that occasion why he left, but that doesn’t excuse all the other times he couldn’t handle the job, Now, how is that me slagging him off? I’m not going to get into a debate about Keegan coming back because let’s face it, that will never happen. I’d like to see Lee Clarke given a chance in a year or two

• 26 russtoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

RIP

My thoughts are with your family and friends

Black and white world wide army!!!!!!!

• 27 Andy // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

RIP Tore and all the others lost. A very sad loss and let us give this page the respect it and the people whos lives were taken deserves.

• 28 gonz // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM

You’re right Ochytoon. My bad!

• 29 ochytoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Gonz
    Thanks buddy

• 30 joppadoni // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM

god bless Tore :(

• 31 alip123 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Rest In Peace, Tore.

The black and white world will remember you, and the tragedy that you were innocently and unfortunately caught up in.

Let’s put aside the issues with Mike Ashley, Weasel Face and Enrique to remember that in the grand scheme of things, the tragedies that have taken place over the weekend (the Ice skating shooting, the Norway attacks) are more significant than the issues with our club. Any innocent death is a tragedy – even if it is that of a Sunderland fan

• 32 ginkoh // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

RIP, It’s shock news for everyone around the world.

• 33 DarloGeordie // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Rest in peace tore….

A truly tragic weekend

• 34 bosamuelson // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I can not begin to imagine what the family and friends of the young people that were lost are feeling.

Thanks Ed for the opportunity to let them know we are thinking of them all and that there memory will live on in many different ways.

S

• 35 boater // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Newcastle fans or otherwise, love and condolences to the people of Norway.

• 36 valle // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

No parrent should ever have to bury their children, sadly that is what allot of Norweigan parrents will have to do after this tradegy… RIP Tore

• 37 alip123 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I hope that at the Fiorentina match or the Arsenal match, they will hold a minute’s silence as a mark of respect

• 38 Eastander // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:50 PM

RIP Tore and all others who lost their lives on Friday, truely saddened by the tragic loss!

• 39 toon soldier 15 // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM

RIP Tore :(

Ed, is there any way you could forward these messages onto Tore’s blog??

Just to let them know that everyone here is thinking of them.

• 40 Munster Mag // Jul 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Well said Ed. Can I add condolences too on befalf of Irish NUFC fans. Thanks

• 41 toonwardo // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM

from 2:20 The Norwegian PM speaks of Tore Eikeland in the memorial speech…

• 42 Dannyo // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I too am Norwegian. And i can confirm that the tragedy hit big around the country.
    Thanks you for the condolences and for the concern through your blog Ed.

May Tore R.I.P. and my thoughts go out to all the others affected aswell.

• 43 balubas1 // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I’m Norwegian. I’m a socialist. I didn’t know Tore Eikeland was a Toon Army Norway member like me… It’s so sad… what a tragedy. I’ve been struggling to hold back my tears even though I was miles away from the horrors and I didn’t know anyone there personally. The nightmare that took place on that island is far beyond what anyone can imagine. They were just KIDS…. KIDS for f*** sake. He went there to slaughter KIDS with dum dum bullets on a summer youth camp…..

I will conclude with something a young girl that survived said: “If one person can spread so much hate… Imagine how much love all of us can give”

• 44 sweendog // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I’m shocked ed .. my sympathies go out to his family and friends ..

• 45 Gateshead-Mag // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM

RIP Tore and all the other victims

• 46 The-Ciaran8 // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM

RIP a truly tragic day. Norway is such a civillised country all it takes is one mad man to go crazy, they were only kids. Just kids. I speak for everyone when i say What A Arsehole.

• 47 JackButler // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Put’s all out petty squabble’s into perspective.

RIP Tore.
    The thoughts and preys of all of us are with you and all of those who have been affected by this tragedy

• 48 seanodinho // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

more football news less norway pleaseee tit

• 49 macn0ble (Finland) // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

The whole of Scandinavia is left gobsmacked and horrified by this terrible act.

• 50 Obafan // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

RIP to Tore and all the other victims!!!

It is also sad is that the fool who did this gets all the media attention. This is why he did it, he likes being the center of the news now.
    They should throw him in a dungeon and never look back!!!

• 51 Hobs // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

seanodinho

If you are looking for football news I suggest you leave this thread and keep your comments to yourself.

My deepest condolences to my fellow Norweigans who lost their lifes due to this maniac.

His attack will only make democracy stronger.

• 52 Barras // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Rest in Peace Tore.

• 53 Mags // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM

So sad to hear of the death of Tore Eikeland in the horrific scenes in Norway. So many parents having to face the loss of their children, it is horrific.

A fallen Magpie, gone but not forgotten.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends at this sorrowful time.

• 54 seanodinho // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM

or and rip to all lives lost

• 55 hainesy // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

seanodinho- You are a heartless man. God bless everyone that died in the Norway attacks and those who died in Mumbai a couple of weeks ago.
    Anyone that dies in such a horrible way deserves respects paid to them but the fact he is so young a nufc fan and the fact he could of went on to be a big political leader in his own country.
    The football can be kept for the next link. I understand it is a football site but this deserves a thread in memory of Tore and every other toon fan.
    HWTL.

• 56 Robbanufc // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Thanks for this article Ed, you’re a true gentleman. It was a horrific day for the people of Norway, and one of the worst massacres the world has seen since ww2 (all from one psycopath). The Norwegian PM told a story of Tore in one of his speeches, and regarded him as one of the biggest political talents he has seen.

Absolutely devastated. Norwegian fan.

• 57 Norwegian_Magpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Did not know about his NUFC support. Hearing his name mentioned in the PM’s speach made me cry, though. Surreal. All of a sudden the Enrique saga didn’t bother me anymore. I’m just gutted.
    Thanks for kind words, fellow fans. RIP Tore and the other 92+

• 58 tom tomb // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Wonderful country, with wonderful people! God bless to all of you, that have been touched by this tragedy.

• 59 barryvenison // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Am I lost? Let me know when i’m allowed to talk football.

• 60 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM

So villa agree 9.5 mil for nzoggy ad gervinho scores 2 for the gooners . .nowt to talk about except for are owner is a fat piece of sh!t and were fcukd :(

• 61 indianmagpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Rest in peace Tore.

• 62 indianmagpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM

@kevi and barry

Why dont we take the footballing conversations to the other threads. Would rather keep football out of this thread.

• 63 Spoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 2:58 PM

RIP Tore

• 64 scottoon // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Heartfelt condolences to the Norwegian people. These senseless tragedies touch us all and remind us that from time to time we all need a little perspective. Football can, and should, take a backseat from time to time so that we can reflect on things of even greater importance.

Thanks to you all for keeping this thread dedicated to the the life of Tore.

• 65 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:00 PM

1 more thing collo is now injurd

• 66 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM

How do u know KEVY

• 67 Mags Serbia // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Rest In Peace Tore

• 68 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Lee ryder is over in usa with the team an he write on his twitter

lee_ryderLee Ryder

#nufc Coloccini not training with main group after groin injury

• 69 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Thats belivable: when u play on turf that is hard on groin

• 70 Kurt // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM

RIP

• 71 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:24 PM

RIP

• 72 pizzicatochan // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM

RIP Tore.

• 73 Eastander // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

PSG have signed Matuidi and Manez, ED – can you think of something to write another article about so we can get back to football and leave this one in momory of those in Norway, the first line of this post will do!

• 74 Robbanufc // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM

As a wise man once said, out of all the unimportant stuff in life, football is the most important. I think we can keep this thread clean of football, as this is a much more serious matter. RIP Tore, and the 92 other people killed by this psycopath!

• 75 Newcastle for alltid // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The support from all around the world has been tremendous in this case. And as a Norwegian, seeing that this Newcastle blog honours the vitctims of this tragic event really means a lot. Thank you all!

• 76 Andreas1 // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Thanks to all of you! The whole country is mourning these days so it means a lot.

RIP Tore

• 77 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Many sad losses suffered in Norway.

No disrespect to those people.

Erdinc may have no choice but to come now…

PSG capture Matuidi and Menez

• 78 Norwegian_geordie // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM

If it is me that is being referred to in earlier posts, I’m not the guy.

It’s a massive tragedy for everyone involved and considering Norway’s such a small country and the death toll, it’s a national tragedy.

But the nation and everyone must continue on and as a young girl said it so beautifuly yesterday:
    “If one man can create so much hate, Then think of how much love we as a togetherness can create.”

Rest in peace

• 79 kjartan // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM

A hole country is crying for the tragic disaster. I want to show you something that was written in a german newspaper:
    “Even in their deepest sorrow the Norwegians don’t get hysterical. They resist the hate. It is amazing to see how politicians and the whole country reacts. They are sad to the deepest thread of their souls. They cry in dignity. But nobody swears to take revenge. Instead they want even more humanity and democracy. That is one of the most remarkable strengths of that little country”

• 80 ilovetoon8788 // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I suggest we take our footballing stories to the previous thread for the time being.

• 81 NorseToonBrann // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hvil i fred tore :’-(

• 82 kjartan // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Thank you dear geordies. My life haven’t been the same without Newcastle. I will travel across the sea for Villa – Newcastle 17th september :)

• 83 NorseToonBrann // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

…And thanx alot guys. Impressive to see how the tragedy affects people everywhere.

• 84 Geordiedoonsooth // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Well written Ed & well said, things like this puts everything in to perspective and hopefully make people realise that football is after all only a game no matter how much NUFC is part of your life. Condolences to the family of Tor and the other victims. Shocking absolutely shocking.

• 85 Carl92 // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Alright lads, I was just wondering if we are playing tonight? Or if not when?

• 86 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

@carl92 . . 2mara night

uk time 01:30 i think

• 87 Burni // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM

RIP TORE.

As someone else said earlier, any newcastle fan is a friend of mine. such a shame.

• 88 kevymartins // Jul 25, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Edd new thread?

• 89 Andy // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Go on the previous thread kevy

• 90 ToonMauritius // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM

RIP Tore

• 91 norwegianmagpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Terrible, terrible tragedy. Lots of people out in the streets of Oslo, but so quiet. Everybody in Norway is mourning. Norway is such a small country and community, so everybody has been affected in some way or another. God bless the injured, the dead and families.

• 92 archaeomag // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Well done ED.
    RIP Tore, & all the victims & their folks.

• 93 Azrail Malaysia // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

RIP… Tore & all Norwegians who lost their life.
    Condolences to their love ones, families & friends
    From Malaysia Toon Army!!!
    Hoping for a better, peaceful world…
    HOWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 94 Carl92 // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM

@Kevymartins

Cheers mate, I’m looking forward to the squad coming home tbh we haven’t had any thing good come from the tour yet. Hopefully wel get a nice win tomorrow night though.

• 95 magpie6699 // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Innocent kids from a respected country. Very sad – our thoughts are with you.

• 96 ReagansWig // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM

RIP son, god bless

• 97 NUFCFAN76 // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Lads, first round of pics up from KC. Will rotate them out in the next day. Enjoy.

• 98 OneAlanShearer // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM

RIP.

• 99 Johno Toon // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM

RIP Tore.

• 100 tequilamag // Jul 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM

RIP Tore , glad to see the maj on here can show some unity for a change.
    Shame on you who want to to just talk football .Its not even as if there is anything new to discuss about the mags today

• 101 bojous // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM

RIP Tore.

• 102 MacToon // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

A very sad situation, devastating and such pointless waste of life.

RIP and condolences to all family and friends of those who sadly lost their lives.

• 103 Expat MAG // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:22 PM

RIP Tore

Our thoughts are with your family, friends and the people of Noway on this tragic occasion…..

• 104 dave 1961 // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM

the right wing extremist should get solitary until the day he dies the scum should have to live with his actions, lock the sh*t up for 70 years without anything to do.

• 105 Thump // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM

RIP mate.

I don’t usually do this but perhaps you Facebook lads would like to spread this page about: http://www.facebook.com/pages/92-Childrens-lives-lost-in-the-Norway-Massacre-RIP/174385069295922

It’s a truly devastating state of affairs, but hopefully Norway will drop their liberal ways and give him the necessary punishment. It’s an absolute disgrace that he would get 21 years maximum.

My heart and thoughts goes out to all the family and friends of the wounded and the dead.

• 106 Norwegian Magpie // Jul 25, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Hi, I saw someone mentioning me. I was thankfully not on Utøya, and not too close to the bomb. But my heart and thoughts are with them. I knew Tore through newutd.no and he was a great person and a superb writer, sadly enough I never had the honor to meet him in real life. May he rest in piece.

• 107 Kris // Jul 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM

A very fine article, Ed. Some notes in Norwegian…

Jeg vil benytte anledningen til å skrive noen ord på norsk. Jeg selv er fra Hordaland, samme fylke som Tore. Jeg har aldri før vært i kontakt med han, og heller aldri sett han, før BT la ut et bilde av ham på deres nettavis lørdag formiddag.

Det er helt forferdelig dette som har skjed her i landet og utrolig mange liv som unødig har gått bort. Men det er noe underlig med Tore. Av en eller annen grunn så blir jeg ekstra lei meg av å se bilder som blir postet av Tore på ulike nettsteder. Akkuratt som om jeg skulle kjenne ham. Det er et eller annet med denne gutten som er unikt. Man kan alle se at Tore Eikeland er en fantastisk gutt, han utstråler masse varme når man ser bilder av ham. Samtidig hadde denne gutten et unikt talent, både som politiker og skribent, det er det ingen tvil om. Det er heller ingen tvil om at Norge har mistet en fantastisk person, som kunne tilføye Norge mye bra i fremtiden.

Jeg kondolerer så masse til hans etterlatte. Hvil i fred, Tore. Du vil aldri bli glemt.

• 108 boater // Jul 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Thump – firstly, if Norway drops its ‘liberal ways’ then he has won, as it was this very social liberalist ideology that he was attacking.

Also, according to Norweigian law- after 21 years he can (and surely will be) re-sentenced to a further 21 years. There is recourse, in other words, legally for a serious criminal such as him to spend the rest of his life in prison.

• 109 niafron // Jul 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Qu’il repose en paix.

• 110 moonraker // Jul 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Our thoughts are with your family and friends
    RIP Tore