Pardew Still To Decide Who Will Be Number One Goalkeeper

It was a good performance last night from Newcastle,  and good to have such a thorough victory against a good MLS side, before the lads return home today from America.

Steve Harper – hoping to start against Arsenal

Steve Harper played his first game of the pre-season last night, but Steve had precious little to do,  as Newcastle controlled the game, and won with goals from Ameobi, Coloccini and the goal of the game from young Haris Vuckic in the very last minute.

This lad could well be looking the part for Newcastle this season, and we need to see a few of the youngsters coming through next season.

The plan was for Harper to play on Friday night in Orlando, but the artificial turf meant that manager Pardew would not risk Steve, because of his dodgy knee.

We still don’t know who Pardew will prefer as his number one goalkeeper for next season, and of course Fraser Forster also looked more than useful on the tour, and we all know how good a young goalkeeper Dutchman Tim Krul is.

This is what Steve told the Journal yesterday:

“Everybody is desperate in every position to get into the team for the Arsenal game.”

“We have a tough start to the season, and hopefully everybody can be fit and available, and give the manager a headache.”

“It was a difficult surface at Orlando that we weren’t used to. Once we saw the surface, it made sense for me to let one of the young lads get exposed to that pitch! I’ve played here before.”

“My knee had been an issue for a few years, and it was just a case of playing on until we were safe, and going in and getting the operation,”

“It gave Tim an opportunity to play the last half-a-dozen games once we had established our Premier League status.”  “I feel good and strong – my shoulder and knee are fine.”

“We’ve got a good medical department here, who have given me a program to work on with my knee, and it feels better than ever.”

The interview was given before the Columbus Crew game last night, and as we said earlier, Steve had very little to do in the game.

We’ll have to wait and see who Pardew gives a run out to on Sunday, when Newcastle travel to Leeds United.

It’s going to be a close call Pardew will have to make before the Arsenal game.

• maverickman1979

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM

1st

• maverickman1979

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:18 AM

As much as i have alot of respect for Harper i would make Forster my Number 1 with Harper on the bench for his experience.
    Krul is a good keeper aswell so Mr Yes Man has his work cut out keeping them all happy but thats what the fat man pays him for.
    The Sun are saying Defoe at £10 million i would snap him up for that i dare say say its just paper talk.
    And Warnock to replace Jose who is on his way to Liverpool. ” good players but doesnt this go against the age policy Warnock is around 29-30 and Defoe is 28. How long would there contracts be????

• geoff777

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM

As most regulars know I don’t like much about the way Ashley runs the club.

One thing I do like is the “age limit” transfer policy.

Buying 29 year olds for 10M is throwing money away.
    They are also injury prone and cruising to the end of their careers.

It makes more sense to buy 23-25 year old players who have a resale value.

They are still hungry to win and ideally good enough to be fighting for international recognition.

Sturridge, Erdinç, Long for me in that order of preference.

Zog too, no point in being the richest man in the cemetery Mr Ashley.

Chill out, have some fun, splash the cash.
    Life’s too short and you are too rich to be cheap.

HWTL

• Dannyo

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM

If i am to be cynical, i’d want Harper benched due to his age.
    If we were to move someone on due to us clearly not being able to keep all three, since they’re great goalkeepers, it would have to be Harper.
    Both Krul and Forster has so much to build on, and both are potential nationals, which Krul has already shown at a young age.
    I don’t know too much about Forster really, but he seems the genuine article, and we should support English players who has the ability to make it for their country.
    But whatever is best for the club, is good enough for me.

Personally i’d want Forster as our nr. 1, but i dont see it happening.
    And if anyone is going to leave, it should be Harper, due to our current age policy.
    But it’s scary to loose him in the dressing room i must admit, probably for Pardew too, as i can see them talking quite a bit about the club together.

• OttersPocket

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Not seen much of Forster, but Celtic fans not to keen on him. Will go from what I have seen and Krul proved himself last season, made couple of mistakes but which keeper doesn’t, world class save to stop Hernandez v Man U and was outstanding for Holland v Brazil.
    Give him no 1 and lets see him grow this season.

• Stuart

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Haha, that was almost positive geoff777 =P

• IrishMagpie

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM

I see a lot of people saying they’d rather see Harris Vuckic play than sign Defoe.

I’ve seen very little of Vuckic but hope that changes this season and that he, along with some of the other younger lads get more of a chance than last season.

Vuckic at the minute is backup, Defoe in a fully fit team would be first choice alongside Ba when we played 4-4-2.

29 is not old. I’m 33, the way some people go on that must be near pension age. At 29 he should still easily give us 4 good years service.

Signing younger players with big potential makes good business sense. Signing some quality players who are the finished article to play along side them makes good footballing sense.

• LewSpi

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I agree geoff, even with your order of preference. I still don’t understand why Sturridge isn’t our number 1 target, assuming he isn’t and Defoe is just being used as a distraction of course. I know Fat Man isn’t willing to splash out £20 mil this summer, but say we get him on loan with an option to buy at any time over the next year for £19/£20 mil. If he grabs 20/25 goals for us this season and settles in, that’s a marvellous piece of business in my eyes.

I know Sturridge has said he is willing to fight for his place at Chelsea this year, but does that mean that it is his first choice? With the Euros coming up next summer, if I was him I’d bite the hands off anyone coming in with a loan offer.

• kingkev9

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Vuckic isnt a forward and is a young lad who has had lots of injuries. Defoe won’t be coming here but if he did then £10m for 4 years service at 15 goals a year would be a good deal

• Rotonda heights

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Has to be Krul, absolutely brilliant keeper and has been for a number of years now. It’s his time. Harper getting on and Forster – well just ask Celtic fans.

Would hate to see crouch, bridge or warnock. All over paid, injury prone journeymen. Would rather have kadar or Dummet than either of those 2 left backs and up front Long, Erdinc and Sturridge are the type of players we need not Crouch and Defoe. Defoe a couple of years back yes but not now.

I don’t know why crouch is even mentioned as surely with our new 2-3-1 we need speed not a lumbering target man.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM

irishmagpie

29/30 is quite old for a striker. As a sweeper playing at the back you could go on forever, but as a striker the speed goes and the hammies are b……d…just look at Owen and bellamy

• geoff777

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM

lol Stuart, must be heading into my “manic” cycle 🙂

• connorjamesp

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I would let krul be number one because he has had a great season and deserves it forster hasnt played as many games in the premier leauge

• geordie.In.Taipei

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM

got to be Harper number 1. i know its a very difficult choice. All 2 of them are excellent, and 1 is going to be v happy, 1 is going to be slightly appeased by being no.2 and will get some games, one is going to be pissed off. So, sent 1 out on loan again …..and make sure the other gets games. i know its made more difficult by the fact krul is chasing the holland number 1 spot n fosters got to be international amterial in the making. actually, harper should have got a capo when u consider the england choices arent great

• wynsleap

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Got to be Krul in my opinion.
    Why would any club not want to play the current Dutch No. 1 as their regular goalkeper? Manure never found it a problem.
    Harper as more than able back up. He’ll still get his games as there are always injuries during the season.
    Forster, I’d let go as don’t really rate him from what I’ve seen. If the club don’t think Soderburg is ready yet as 3rd custodian there are some cracking young keepers to be had rather cheaply (which should please Ashley).
    Finally – Geoff777. Are you OK?
    Incidentally Geoff, Ashley said he wanted to have fun when he took over the club. It’s a shame he never told us he wanted to do it without spending any cash!