Leon Best Will Be Staying At Newcastle – Good!

We thought it was rather strange when reports came out several weeks ago, that Newcastle striker Leon Best was up for sale.

Leon Best – not on the transfer list

That was after Alan Pardew himself had praised the Coventry-born striker who scored 6 goals in 12 appearances for the Newcastle side earlier in the year.

And Leon  looked to be improving all the time, and filled in well after Newcastle had sold Andy Carroll, without having time to bring in a replacement.

And today in the Evening Chronicle Leon says he has been assured of his place in the squad this season by Alan Pardew, and that the news of him leaving was simply paper talk, well you could have fooled us.

So what were all those reports out a few weeks back saying that Leon was on the transfer list for around £4M with Newcastle saying nothing?

Best had a tough time of it last season with ankle injuries, but he looked really good earlier this year, and in his first Premier League start ever, against West Ham in January, he hit a terrific hat-trick.

Best was asked if he wanted to stay on Tyneside:

“Definitely.” “I went to see the manager as soon as I got back from holiday.” “He told me that what was in the papers wasn’t anything to do with him or the club.”

“There was a lot of stuff out there, but it was just paper talk.” “My game is on and I know what I have to do, I just need to get match fit and stay injury-free.”

“Nothing has changed.” “New strikers will come in but that is healthy competition.” “Successful teams have strikers fighting for competition.”

“Scoring at St James’ Park is a great buzz and I hope to continue that this season.”

It’s a wonder that Alan Pardew didn’t clarify things about Leon, because we were wondering why the heck he was selling Leon.

And in our poll on whether Best deserved another season on Tyneside, these were the overwhelming results in favor of Leon:

Does Leon Best Deserve One More Season To Prove Himself At Newcastle?

• Yes (79%, 2,297 Votes)
  • No (15%, 430 Votes)
  • Not Sure (6%, 167 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,891

Loading ... Loading ...

It’s great that Leon Best is going nowhere, and he now has a good chance to again contribute big time to the team next season.

This is good news.

• Andy

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I would say common sense prevails but all i can say is where on earth do the press get their info! Idiots!

• Brewcastle

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Really good news. I believe Best will do much good for NUFC in future.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Great news.

Now just need some more strikers for competition!

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Glad he’s staying likely to be 4th/5th choice if erdinc signs.

erdinc
    ba
    shola
    loverman/best

• Shabilla1984

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I hope we can get Erdinc as I believe the lads we’ve just arent quite good enough on their own. I like Best & Lovenkrands but just think we need better first team strikers to be challenging for the top 10, but Best is defo the better of the bunch

• belfastmagpie87

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM

@andy

It was the chronicle who said,that he was on the transfer list?
    Wasn’t it???

• FarAwayGeordie

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I Expect Us To Accept a 4mil Bid For Him On Deadline Day From Birmingham .. No Longer Believe Pardew’s “Assurances”

• WWJBD

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Very happy about this

??? Ba Shola Best and Loven sounds a fairly good striker pool to me

• Leon Best will be like a new signing.

• Andy

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I think so belfast but i’ve no idea really

• Drona

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

LEON BEST IS MINT 😀

• belfastmagpie87

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Im near sure it was was.It just proves they no nothing.

• Andy

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM

WWJBD take away loven and i’d agree. Can’t stand the way he plays. He stands offside too much and always tries to chip the keeper! Still he’s backup and i suppose in terms of 4th/5th striker he’s alright

• belfastmagpie87

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Im near sure it was was. <<<< thats a bit of ali g there 🙂

• Spike

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Leon Best is staying but it will be really really expensive to keep him so we can’t afford any new strikers. But on the plus side he’s coming back from injury so he’ll be like a new player for us.

• WWJBD

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Andy see I can see Loven being better for us next season if he gets a chance the new planned style of play will benefit his own rather than what we have done the last few season

Would still be down the pecking order though. Good professional from what I have heard which is always nice to have around

• JimmyToonToon

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I recon the lad hasn’t been given a proper go at it since he joined. Granted he’s been unlucky with injury’s, but when he does play he scores goals. The same can’t be said for Loverman!! Ba, Best, Shola and Erdinc will be smashing them in left right and centre!!

• Andy

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:28 PM

He also lives round the corner from my gran haha. He still lives in glasgow. I’d keep him just to hear his interviews with his glesga accent. It’s quality

• WWJBD

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM

haha thats mint! And yeah his accent is oddly amazing!

• Ericles

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Good. I think that Leon could surprise us all during the coming season. He is still young and can improve still.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Can’t sell him for £4m & can’t buy a new striker so he stays (for the time being).

• Robby Bobson

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Powerful, quick, good in the air and is prone to the odd clever turn. Also composed in front of goal.

Would be ridiculous to let him leave…seems like a good lad as well.

• Felipe

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I don’t think you should forget about Ben Arfa and Vuckic either. Given that we will probably play with Ba or Ameobi up front on their own with another striker in the hole, this is supposedly Ben Arfa and Vuckic’s favourite position.

• Cardboy

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Good news.. given good service should hit the net more often. Promising and worth hanging onto.

• boywonder

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Good news, showed promise. Erdinc, Ba, Ameobi, Best, and even Lovenkrands doesn’t sound bad for a squad. Although Shane Long wouldbe a good signing.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM

no not good

would have been the makeweight for Long – a much better, quicker and ”unmarkable” player.

• Felipe

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM

@Rotonda Heights: No way is Long coming. He’s not rated by either Pardew or Carr.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Brilliant news. I thought it was all paper talk about Best being sold, it just made no sense. But you just don’t know with this board do you. I am really looking forward to next season we just need 1 more quality striker and I’ll be happy. Any more players after that and it’ll be a bonus.

• toonander

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM

if he could drink as good as andy and eat like the howdon hogg he’d be some player!

• Munster Mag

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM

This is great news. I suppose one could argue that Pardew cant come out and deny every rumour about each of his players, so its possible that Pardew is telling the truth. Personally I think Lambias feeds this stuff to the media, because if Ashley sees the slightest profit on a player, he will sell, and then look to Carr to dig up a gem from abroad, younger and cheaper. Its a very flawed model though, apart from the financial aspect.

• dave 1961

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM

hopefully best will learn how to stay onside as his positional play is abysmal.

• toon-hendy

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM

That will mean we won’t get Shane Long. Personally I like Leon Best and deserves another shot at the PremierLeague. We still need a nippy striker (Erdinc/Defoe). If we don’t get any of these 2 I seriously don’t have a clue who we’ll bring in!

• Felipe

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

@munsterMag 28: What evidence do we have that he will sell for the slightest profit? How much do you think we could get for Gosling who cost nowt? Therefore you are suggesting Ashley would take £1m for him? Same for Vuckic? Ba? I would have to politely disagree with you there. Just because £35m for someone he wanted shot of anyway was too hard to resist doesn’t mean he will sell anyone.

• toonander

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Every top class club needs four strikers Seven weeks ago Pardew felt he would not be in our top four strikers!I think we will buy one more player and try to get two planers on loan before the window closes

• simonsez

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Felipe, I agree with you. The players we have sold recently have been for a reason, money was too high to refuse such as Carrol, or for nolan the terms he was looking for was unreasonable so left no choice. There is no evidence to suggest that ashley would sell for the slightest profit in fact seems as though any sales of players are only if its in the best interests of the club.

• beefman13

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

leon best for me at this moment would without a doubt go in to my team as first striker, he is a lad who had a point to prove and did just that, when he scored a hat trick in 60 mins against west ham i felt he could have scored another 2 on that night alone and after that game he did nothing wrong in my book, he is an intelligant player very good shot both feet leaps like a salmon good first touch and i always remember thinking that he hardly ever gives the ball away, i watched shola in one game towards the end of the season and he gave the ball away more times in that game then leon did in his previous 12!!!!!!

• max

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM

good as he can do a good job here

• Lee Dodd

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Good Stuff – We need 2 More Strikers and a few Defenders and were there !!!! And Not From Bloody West Ham !!!!

• AndyMac

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM

So Best is now part of thesquad again because………….we havent got any new strikers coming in after all ?

Planning and strategy is what this club is all about 🙂

• banjax

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Oh dear it looks like I’m goin to get some flack on this. Here goes. I’m one of the 15% who said no to the poll on this blog. Best for me is no better than a good championship player, at Best (no pun intended) a squad player, and an inconsistent one at that. There’s always hope that he will be a better player this season if he can avoid injuries, but I doubt it. Newcastle have to show better quality in depth than we have now and that means players like Best moving on. Sad to say we have too many average players still at the Toon. Obviously there is time between now and the window for things to change, but somehow I doubt it because we are going to have to hit the ground running and with what we have now there is no chance of that !