Alan Smith To Be Given History Lesson At Leeds

Alan Smith was a first team regular at Leeds United when he was only 19 years old and playing as an out-and-out striker, and even played for England when he was just 21.

Alan Smith – rough reception on Sunday?

And Smith was part of the very successful Leeds side that David O’Leary took to the semi-finals of the European Champions League in 2001,  when they were beaten 3-0 in aggregate by Valencia, who then went on to lose the final on penalties (5-4) to Bayern Munich.

But then of course Leeds started their dramatic decline and  a short three years later were relegated from the Premier League, after getting into financial trouble under then Chairman Peter Ridsdale, who simply spent money the Yorkshire club didn’t have.

Sound familiar?

Alan Smith was sold in the summer of 2004 to Manchester United, and it seems the Leeds fans haven’t forgotten that, even though local lad Smith gave the team great service while he was there.

Alan knows he’s likely to get some stick on Sunday, and this is what he had to say about that game:

“I don’t know what the reception will be, we played them at St James’ Park two seasons ago and I got a bad one then, so I am expecting the same at Elland Road.”

“I have been back to watch games but never as a player. It is not something I have really wanted to do to be honest.”

“I have a great affiliation with the club, they brought me through the game. I was an Academy player and a senior player when I left.”

“I am not going to go into details as to the destination I went to. I don’t want to touch on it. People will express how they feel and I know that.”

“It is a long time ago.” “There has been a lot of talk about my future but I just want to continue playing football.”  “It is something I have always loved doing ever since I was a kid.”

“I hope that whatever happens people have seen when I’m playing I am giving it everything.”

We’re not exactly sure why when players leave teams, they are always booed on their return.

Leeds sold Alan Smith seven years ago because they couldn’t afford his wages in the second division,  and also they got some good cash for him from Manchester United.

Leeds actually sold him to United because they were the only club who offered the transfer money up front,  whereas other clubs, such as Newcastle, could only offer it in yearly installments, and that’s only because if truth be told, we didn’t really have the money.

It was probably not Alan’s decision to move, and he proved at Newcastle two years ago that he was willing to go down a division and was then paramount in getting Newcastle back to the PL in the very first season.

That’s what Alan Smith will be remembered for at Newcastle, but for too many seasons  he was on the fringes of the Newcastle first team, while on £60K/week.

And it seems that Alan will be reminded of some of his history on Sunday at his home town club.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

• Dannyo

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Smith is supposedly staying out his contract.
    Wont see him moving out this year.
    Bloody overpaid players….
    TOON ARMY!!

• Eastander

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM

To be honest I dont think he’ll be getting a reception at all, i reckon against leads and fiorentina we’ll be starting to put our starting 11 together for the arsenal match so cant see him playing

• Eastander

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM

leeds*

• CynicalasEva

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM

doesnr even deserve to be in the 25 man squad

• Spike

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM

He’s never been the same since that injury he got. Shame we bought him after he turned crap.

• dmac

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM

It’s a shame for the lad really. He should never have left Leeds. Man utd ruined his career and we were just to stupid to see how rubbish he was.

• dave 1961

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

if I was in smiths position I would want to play but smith just wants the money,the word footballer & greed go hand in hand.

• Felipe

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM

It’s funny how the one’s who want us to sign big name players on big wages are the first to complain about wanting to get big name players on big wages off the pay-roll 🙂

• wynbae

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM

if I press F5 enough, maybe there will be news that we signed a striker….

• Eastander

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM

wybae, I’ve been trying that for a few weeks, so much so my F5 button is now missing the F5 🙁

• wynbae

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I feel like I’m doing a rain-dance on parched earth…’.come striker….come to Toon….bring left-back with yoooou….’

• BigKirky

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM

He was great for us in the championship but unfortunately for him, he’s not of the class of our other midfielders in the premier league, so he’s not going to play. As for players sitting out their contracts, unless a club of note came in for me id stay put and fight for my place if I was in his position. Can’t blame him so much as we were the ones that offered him the contract. Same goes for Xisco.

• wynbae

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I check when I wake up
    I check when I go to sleep
    I check when I’m on the can
    I check during a meeting
    I check during my lunch
    I check during Masterchef
    etc.
    still no fu£$ing striker for Toon

• grumpy_old_sod

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Looks like smith will play some part of the Leeds game. He stated that he expects the same reception as last time. Good way of putting him in the shop window, just because he won’t be in the starting line up next season doesn’t mean he won’t play. Let’s hope Leeds want him.

• MrToon

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Looks like the zog deal is now completely dead in the water. Although I am more than happy with our midfield, I mus admit I was holding hope of him returning

• ulsterexile

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Has this lad got no pride? Former international seeing out his contract with no chance of regular first team football. Have some self respect Smudge and leave!!

• wynbae

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Got to hand it to Alan Smith. He was playing top-level footy in 2001. Over 10 years later, he’s at the Toon getting 60k / week. Respect. That doesn’t mean I like it but….Respect.

• nightfa11

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

smith was already crap at manu.. i was opposed of signing him since forever.. he was a headless chicken at ManU..& i was shocked when ashley wore his jearsey.. i knew we were fu***** when i saw that..

anyway..id rather see we terminate his contract now then letting pardew having a choice of playing him.. he still trusts him more then our youngsters..& thats sad..

dont get me wrong..i had my doubts when pardew got the job…but reading his comments i really like the guy… i sometimes disagree with his tactis & subs…but hes ok..

myfav day as NUFC fan (in this latest reign) was sacking of BSA & my second best day will be when smith is out of here.

• Eastander

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Zog’s taking another sideways move, would have liekd him here but can see villa really struggling next season like

• nightfa11

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

i think zog will end up here.

• Davies

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Mr Toon (15) – What Zog deal?

Were we ever even in for him?

• wynbae

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM

nightfa11. When you say ‘end up’, do you mean playing out the twilight of his career, on 60k / week?

• WWJBD

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I doubt Smith will even be on the bench for us at Leeds

• nightfa11

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM

i dont belive for a second NUFC didnt bid 9,5 mio for zog.. we did bid 12 mio few months ago so… i dont buy that.. its either:

wigan want over 10 mio from us cos they know we have the money.. or

we are bidding for a better player..perhaps johnson? or..?

• cousto

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Hope we don’t play Jose. Tav and Dummett need games.

It’s not really a good advertisement to the young players or the club (who are wanting to get rid of player power), “youth player gets caught in photo with bb gun, he’s out the team and club” “senior team member flames club owner, club plans and (in some extent) new players but he’s kept in”

• barryvenison

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I think Villa will be just fine, they have Bent, Agbonlahor, Delfuenso, and Heskey. Other than Heskey their pretty useful up front and they have good defenders who would die for the cause, Dunne and Collins, Warnock and L.Young. Then you have NZogbia and Albrighton on the wings. With Petrov and the two youngsters, Bannan and Clark in the middle. Not the best but again fighters. They’ll finish mid-table I would imagine they’ll be competing with us. Their weakest link is probably their ginger manager.

• barryvenison

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

The only bid we’ve put in for Nzogbia is the kind that allow the fans to think were after him while ensuring it’s never enough to actually be accepted.

• Marty-Toon

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Maybe he’ll get his first goal for the club against them eh.
    Tis strange though that he hasn’t played up front for us seeing he was a good striker before like.
    Maybe he could been better than some of our other tits like Owen

• nightfa11

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM

i do feel sorry for villa fans tho.. they just signed manager from their rivals..who couldnt stay up with his team:D now that sucks:D

• cousto

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Hopefully they will get stuffed at SJP like last year.

• nightfa11

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

its like us giving a manager job to gareth southgate:D

• cousto

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM

more like Mick McCarthy or Roy “I w**k my dog” Keane

• barryvenison

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

• Eastander

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Barry, its amusing like isnt it, i cant see how they think buying a load of overpriced British players will get them anywhere, when was the last time a british national team won anything and the ones they’ve signed arent even starters for their countries!

The only player they have signed who is probably worth the transfer fee is suarez

• cousto

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Kenny’s style of football, straight from the 1990’s edition of long ball football.
    Great against teams in England with crap midfields, in Europe you get ripped to pieces.
    That £35M striker isn’t too good is he?

• geoff777

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I really wish Alan Smith the best, he was tremendous during our promotion season.

I hope I never see him in a b&w shirt again, he’s far too slow and because of this his aggression has become a liability instead of an asset.

• Andy

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Liverpool have made 4 bad signings but 1 great 1 in suarez! £22m for him is a good price. As much as i hate him as a player i can’t wait to see him play (minus the cheating and biting opposition)

• OttersPocket

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Without trying to defend Liverpool, other than Carroll yesterday they had pretty much a reserve team out.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Alan has served us well. Sure he is defined as a striker but has never scored, but every time he is on the pitch he gives 110%

During the promotion season he was one of the standout players in terms of keeping the lads together and helping out Hoots.

He’s too slow now for the Premiership and not wise enough in terms of tackling and passing. He was a brilliant player at Leeds, shame he has never regained that after his injuries.

• WWJBD

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Suarez and Carroll up front partnership could rip teams apart if they gel well. Liverpool may not have done the best business but they should have a good season next year