The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gosling, Marveaux And Ba Coming Through Well At Newcastle

9:24 am, Friday, July 29th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

It was great to see Dan Gosling have such a good game on Tuesday night at Columbus.

Dan Gosling - looked great at Columbus

The 21 year-old showed so much energy in that game, and he was a little unlucky not to score, and could have even have had a hat-trick with a just little bit of luck in front of goal.

But it’s little surprise that Alan Pardew was pleased with the overall performance in the Columbus game, because he saw some very good performances, with new boys Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux doing particularly well.

And teenagers Vuckic, Tavernier and Dummett also looked very solid, with Haris Vuckic scoring a terrific goal right at the end.

Most of the Newcastle squad returned to London  in the early hours of yesterday morning, and then got the plane from Luton airport back to Newcastle.

The lads will all gather together tomorrow at the Benton Training grounds, and get ready for the game at Leeds United on Sunday.

And of course Newcastle will now have their full squad together again with midfielders Yohan Cabaye and Joey Barton back from the Holland tour with the Reserves.

New fathers Danny Simpson and Mike Williamson will also be back, and Pardew will have some selection choices for the Leeds United game.

But Alan seems pleased with the American tour:

“I am very pleased.” The three games in the USA have been really tough, which I expected.”

“We’re going to play Arsenal in our first game and we have to be beyond even the intensity and toughness we showed in the US.”

“We have pushed the players. We were overloaded in Orlando and that was evident – we did too much work before that game.”

“We learned from that in Columbus and we saw some great performances.”  “There were some great performances – one from Dan Gosling, for certain. and Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba in particular.”

“They really make me feel that a couple more players and we aren’t far away.”

It was good to see Demba Ba hit some form, because what we saw from the player at West Ham earlier this year, suggests he can score a lot of goals for Newcastle this coming season.

And if Dan Gosling continues his good form, he will also be pushing for a first team position.

So at least the competition for places seems to be increasing nicely this pre-season, and that’s exactly what we want to see, and the Newcastle bench hopefully will be  a lot stronger next season.

That’s of course assuming the team can avoid too many injuries, which is probably our number one concern right now.

Danny Guthrie, Shane Ferguson and Ben Arfa are all out for at least another four weeks.

Comments welcome

Tags: Dan Gosling · Danny Guthrie · Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Sylvain Marveaux

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM

nufcBlog.org are reporting we are due an Erdinç decision TODAY!?

• 2 davybtoon // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:29 AM

hope erdinc happens theres no way we agreed a fee last week n havent done owt since

• 3 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:36 AM

SSN:
    “According to the Daily Telegraph, Sunderland manager Steve Bruce is interested in signing Manchester City winger Adam Johnson on a season’s loan.”

• 4 tiotal football // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I hope the rumours are true and wouldn’t judge him if it was.

In his shoes I think everyone would wait a couple of days to get a loyalty bonus before shipping out to a new club.

• 5 archaeomag // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Persistent rumors that Erdinc is waiting for technical / contractual reasons before signing; AP said ‘one before the tour & one after’ – lets hope one of his predictions is correct.

• 6 Rotonda heights // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I am very disappointed to see we gave up on Bangura over alleged work pemit issues and now Mmu are set to pounce.

Surely we could hae made a bigger effort to get round the red tape for a 21 year old who could be massive for the enxt 10 years and probably way cheaper than Erding.

Apparently Bangura was all but signed last month !

• 7 Offkey // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Have stated Gosling could be a big player for us on a number of occasions. Would even try and squeeze him in at right-back if he felt comfortable there, I certainly think he will be close to the first team. I know he is a CM naturally but I have seen him do a job at RM, RB and LB.

Marveux and Ba also looks like they can do something but I think they will nee a bit of time to gel. While I am looking forward to seeing Abeid an Vukic develop into first teamers. Haven’t seen much of Cabaye but he is widely recognise as having a lot to do with Lille’s success. HBA just needs to stay fit an get a run of games, I still think he will need time to adjust.

I am happy with the signings but we need a few more. Would look for Striker, LB X2 if enrique goes and a young CB. I would leave Gosling, Tav an Simpson to fight it out for RB.

Lots to be positive about but a number of legitimate concerns are still there and which should not be ignored.

• 8 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I see Arsenal are after Phil Jagielka, that will end their interest in Jose.

• 9 MrToon // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I feel Dan gosling deserves a start at leeds this weekend due to his form in the states. but I think he will be dropped for barton or cabay. It will be a shame if that happens because It would be great to see a little more of him before the star of the season. I think we should rest tiote for the game and have dan and cabay in the middle. we already know that tiote can do the business

• 10 Felipe // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM

@offkey 7: I know where you’re coming from but I’m hoping the days of playing square pegs in round holes are over. Why would we play a cm at rb when we have a very good right back in Danny Simpson and a very good back up in Tavernier. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

• 11 NUFC_Richyg01 // Jul 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM

@7

That is one of the reasons Gosling was unhappy at Everton, because he was constantly played out of position.

He is such a talent, it would be a huge waste to play in at right back.

• 12 MrToon // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:00 AM

@11 Im with you. He looks to be a quality CM

• 13 CLOIN // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I hope we do get Erdinc because i feel he would form a good partnership with BA

I also hope Gosling can stay fit because he was very highly rated at Everton

Forget about Enrique he will be gone by 31st aug and sign a LB now there is no point in waiting

• 14 Munster Mag // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Nice to see such positivity this morning. I have a feeling that Pardew is a good judge of a player, and Carr has done so well for us. I still think pardew is a better manager than Hughton so we are progressing. All the moaners must be in bed?

• 15 Offkey // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I agree he is a quality CM, I personally would want him to play there. But I dont think Pardew will get him in CM before Tiote, Cabaye or Barton (injuries will change this however).

I also dont rate Simpson, but think he could come on in next few years (He also state he had a few niggles last year which hampered his performances). Plus I do like Tav, but I think if Gosling could perform like I think he can, he should be given that berth in Pardew’s team until he can get into CM.

• 16 The Eternal Optimist // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:50 AM

amen to that Munster mag, the moaners are evidently creatures of the night.

so we’re two players away from being pretty well stocked in terms of the squad, a healthy balance sheet and a pool of talented youngsters trying to fight their way into contention. We’ve got a plan in progress to change the style from direct survivor tactics to something more fluid and have bought cabaye, marveaux and abeid to accomodate this transition.

Have we had it this good in a while? If we can get Smith off the books and start the season well I honestly wonder what the negcastle crew will latch onto next?

• 17 SL_toon // Jul 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Personally, I’d like to see these:
    ST
    RW
    LB
    CB
    Citroen C5
    Porshe 911
    BMW X6
    and
    STD (for Mike Ashley)

• 18 chris_g // Jul 29, 2011 at 11:19 AM

@SL_toon – Citroen C5 was a good shout, but my source has told me that Ashley prefers the cheaper Sinclair C5 option

• 19 GeordieDan // Jul 29, 2011 at 11:51 AM

SL_toon>

We can all wish mate!

(For Ashley to get a STD I mean of course) :D

• 20 NUFCFAN76 // Jul 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM

@ 17, pissnmyslef!

previous post: Jak Alnick Greeted In Columbia By Dancing PoiceWomen

next post: James Tavernier Pushing For First Team Place?