Kevin Nolan – I Felt Totally Betrayed By Newcastle

Surprising words from former Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan in the Sunday Mirror today.

Kevin Nolan – I felt totally betrayed

Kevin left the Tyneside club abruptly in June, when relegated West Ham put in a bid for the player, and when the London club finally met the asking price of £4.5M, Kevin went down south to discuss terms.

And another surprise was that West Ham and Sam Allardyce, his former boss at Bolton, offered him a five year deal for around £55K/week, which is higher wages and a longer deal than Newcastle were willing to offer him.

Kevin has come out and totally blasted the club’s hierarchy today, and this is what Kevin said:

“I envisaged ­spending the rest of my ­career at the club.” “I was settled, happy and I adored the supporters.”

“I was captain of a huge club and played with a smashing group of lads I had untold respect for.” “But ultimately I was forced out because I lost trust in key people at the club and when you lose trust in people it’s almost impossible to ­regain it.”

“From January and shortly following the sale of Andy Carroll to ­Liverpool, I was involved in ongoing discussions about signing a new contract ­between four and five years.”

“I discussed the deal at length with managing ­director Derek Llambias and even shook hands on it.” “In my book when you do that man-to-man you expect them to see it through.”

“But what we talked about and what they finally offered me was laughable. They did a U-turn on what we agreed They showed me no ­respect. I felt totally betrayed.”

“Then they had the nerve to claim I rejected a new contract. What contract? A deferred option to increase my deal by 12 months with a bonus that hinged on the ­success of the team on the pitch the following season.”

“Perhaps I was just naive. I thought I had a good relationship with the board.” “But when it all came to a head in the summer I knew my time was coming to an end.”

“I had given the club everything but they didn’t want to give me anything in return, just broken promises. I ­simply couldn’t work with people like that. There was no way back for me.”

It was a complete surprise to all of us when Kevin suddenly left the club last month, but it could be that with Ben Arfa presumably being used as second striker next season, at least according to manager Alan Pardew, Kevin’s starting position in the side was under pressure.

And we still don’t know exactly what happened, but don’t forget Kevin still had two years left on his Newcastle contract,  and could have spent that time at Newcastle and continued to be the captain.

He could have left as a free agent in 2013, when no doubt he could have got some plum contract with another club.

But he didn’t do that, and left the club suddenly and dramatically,  right out of the blue,  and that was his choice.

• UpTheRoad

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:29 PM

We’re gonna miss him big time.

• Tom_Toon

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Whatever. He’s gone now and he wont be a miss on the playing side of things. He would not get into our current midfield.

• Robin_S

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM

He’ll be a big miss this year

• Eastander

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I bet west ham fans love these comments, sounds like he was a little bitter

• Andy

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Chung yong lee’s leg has been broken today. Bolton will really struggle with the loss of him elmander and sturridge this season

• Deanes212

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Good luck to him! He’s West Hams problem now! Would we have got, what 1 more, maybe 2 seasons max before he seized up completely! Good lad, but worth 55K a week… hmm! On a 5 year contract at that, the jokes on them ! On bigger and better things! HBA 😉

• Have to admit. A handshake is a bond. I think Pardew is telling us the truth as he knows it. Maybe Llambias give Kev his hand in all honesty. But Ashley? I think there is a person who just doesn’t give a damn.

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM

He went at the right time though was a fantastic ambassador for the club- regardless of my feelings towards him, why would he have come out and said all of this for no reason? I think the fundamental problem with the regime is not Ashley (because I support him turning the club into a sustainable entity), its Llambias in my opinion, he must go… Anyone remember how good Chris Mort was?!

• Yorkmag

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:47 PM

anyone see kazenga bagged another good goal down at brighton, a reckon hell be a cracking player after another year of first team experience

• Andy

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM

tom4nufc i totally agree. Mort communicated well with us fans as well. Llambias is a snake

• ONLINE GUY

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I see that Mike Ashley is opening a sports outfitters for outsize men’s clothing in Northumberland Street Newcastle .

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Yorkmag, I couldn’t agree with you more! I feel he will be Barton’s replacement at the end of the season if he goes… As incredible as Joey is and I love him to bits I think we get a right out and out winger like LuaLua on the right and Marveaux on the left the whole dynamics of the team will change to be incredibly fluid, flowing football!

• ONLINE GUY

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Mr Fat Bastard’s

• Kris

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM

He defenitly have been betrayded… We are gonna miss him, good team-player and great finisher….

But will it not be any chances to see tomorrows game on the internet?

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who is of that belief Andy! In any other industry, if the head of an organisation showed this level of incompetence/lack of communication he would have been given the axe months ago… You would have thought that by now he would realise he needs to give a regular update surely?!

• JackButler

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:59 PM

How can anyone go from asking for a 4/5 year contract with a premier league club to joining a championship side?
    If Nolan thought he was good enough for us for the next 4/5 years why weren’t there premier league side clambering to sign him? and why did he need to drop down a league?

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:00 AM

He goes about picking fights with people as well. Like that time he had a go at shearer. He knows what he means to us and he still did it. He could’ve denied to comment on it but he didn’t. Think if Mort was here he’d communicate directly to the fans the aim of the club. Not the secretive plan we’ve heard about but don’t actually know exists

• Nolan said that he shook hands on i with Llambias. Who can say that Ashley didn’t say “So what” to Llambias. I don’t know. NUFC is effin my head up.

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:04 AM

If I shock hands with Llambias I’d check to make sure I still had my watch

• *on it with Llambias

• pizzicatochan

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Whatever, Ed. I understand your passion and sympathy, and I am not denying it, but is it really important to keep telling us how negative things are going, and ignore the scorers like Inman and Ranger? They are all working hard to get recognized too.

• Tom4Nufc

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM

Ed’s just relaying all things Newcastle United and from my perspective that’s great! No doubt there will be an article out sooner rather then later on that subject pizzi!

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:12 AM

• Deanes212

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Any word on Erdinc???

• Yorkmag

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:17 AM

tom4nufc you say he could replace bartyon on right but watchi ng this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPzRm1cx23M , seems like brighton played him on left, he seems pretty comfortable their, either crossing with left or cutting in on right, what you think?

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Andy what time is kick off?

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM

10 mins in

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Thanks mate

• Brill picture. Nigh on HD:

• Hoppefot79

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Kris I heard it’s on lufc’s site. Mulig det koster spenn sa fyren, men jeg skal nå iaffal se den:)

• nick_9

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Good deal for both parties, Nolan gets 50k a week for five years (15 million) at a level where he will look good and we get cabaye on a lower wage. Only downside is it shows what kind of man llambias is to go back on a hand shake, I know a hand shake isn’t the be all and end all but it shows he’s the type of bloke to say all the right things but when it comes to it its totall different, he’s a snake. Keegan, Shearer, Hughton all felt badly done by and then we have the likes of Barton, Jose, Nolan and Carroll all speaking out against the club yet people still choose fight his corner and ignore what most of the people mentioned above have said. Such a shame we are run by a slime ball, opinions divided, bickering and so on. I honestly belive if Ashley wasn’t at the club our attendances would be higher as would revenue from other outlets.

• kingkev9

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:53 AM

After reading people’s comments on here for the past few weeks I find it hard to believe that many of you actually go to the games.

Nolan was our captain, our leader, top scorer for last two seasons, he was inspirational for us and when he was missing how many games did we win!? None. Cabaye is totally unproven in England and not a goal scorer.

Llambias and Ashley are scum yet some of you idiots back them. You do not shake hands on a deal and then change it. Nolan was loyal to the club and a key component in getting us up and safe.

Llambias and Ashley are only interested in making money, get it through your thick heads. I’m embarrassed that some of you claim to be newcastle ‘fans’ yet no so little.

I can only presume this is because your either 12, live abroad and/or don’t watch us play.

• kingkev9

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Tom4nufc- lualua will be bartons replacement!? You having a laugh? Lua lua is out of contract next summer and isn’t expected back here. His touch is awful and he is too erratic

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Kingkev9 why do you come on here if you dislike the blog so much? *awaits abuse*

• nick_9

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Kingkev, I’m not going to lie I was disappointed to see Nolan and Carroll leave but the money for Carroll was astronomical and I’m not sure I would have wanted Nolan on 50k a week for another five years. I’m grateful for his seasons here but he earnt a good wage over those seasons for his displays and he’s been awarded with a good contract at west ham because of it so good luck to him. I’m not one to jump on the backs of players just because they left, we as fans are kept in the dark about most things so I find it interesting to hear first hand from people who know Ashley and Llambias what the club is run like. Judging by Jose’s comments he is in the same boat as Nolan where the club seem to be doing all they can to dishearten him into a move. I don’t belive Ashley, llambias or pardew have their heart in the job. What can we do though? I’m not one to boycott because then I’m losing out. Might have to start doing the euro lottery and praying

• kingkev9

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Honestly? It’s a bit addictive. I read the comments in dis-belief and get agitated everytime but keep doing it. I think I honestly find it hard to believe that some people are watching/supporting the same team

• sirjasontoon

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Proper footballer Nolan.
    We will miss him loads.
    He Loved the Toon and thanks to him bounced back to the prem.
    Respect and Good Luck.

• kingkev9, I have not done anything to offend you personally. I may have a different opinion to you (except on handshakes). But you call me an “idiot, a thick head and a 12 year old”. Without knowing me? I’m 12? I will accept your views. I may not agree with them. But it’s your right in a free world to hold your own views and you should afford me and others that right without abuse.

Written apologies accepted.