The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Youngsters Performed So Well In America

1:35 pm, Saturday, July 30th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

James Tavernier joined the Leeds United Youth system when he was just 9 years old back in 20001.

James Tavernier – had an excellent American tour – good for him

And it was just a short three years ago that James left Leeds United to join the Newcastle Academy, and he has done very well since then on Tyneside.

James performed admirably during the Newcastle three game tour of America, and had a very solid game when he started at right back in the final game against the Columbus Crew.

In fact James played in all three games stateside, and looked solid in every game, and no doubt manager Alan Pardew will have taken note.

James came to prominence when he played on loan at Gateshead earlier this year to rave reports, and he appeared 18 times for the Gateshead club.

James is obviously keen that he will get a run-out tomorrow, and while we don’t think he will start, we’re sure he will be given a run out by manager Pardew.

This is what James said this morning:

“I was born in Bradford, but I lived in Bramley from when I was four. I am a Leeds fan.”  “Hopefully, I will be involved in the Leeds game.”

“That would mean a lot, as I have not played at Elland Road in a proper game.” “I played a friendly when I was at the Academy there – I was probably about 10.”

“Hopefully, I can play this weekend.”  “My mum and I are Leeds fans, and it would be incredible if I am involved.”  “I will be wearing a black-and-white top, I will do my best for the club.”

“I will be proud to be playing for Newcastle, but I still love Leeds!”

One of the most pleasing things about the American tour was that we saw some very good performances  from some of our top youngsters including James, Haris Vuckic and Paul Dummett.

And probably the most impressive player in America was 21 year-old Dan Gosling, who is coming back from his very serious ACL knee injury.

So it was great to see Dan looking do good and energetic in America, and things are even looking up a little,  after the  excellent performances of some of our youngsters stateside.

If the youngsters can come through this season it will help to bolster the Newcastle squad, which wile still be small next season, with some players – like James Perch, Wayne Routledge, Nile Ranger and Jose Enrique all likely to leave the club this summer.

Tags: Haris Vuckic · James Tavernier · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Paul Dummett

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 barryvenison // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Bring back American commentary. Absolute class.

• 2 TemuriKetsbaia // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Cool, is Tav from the future… awesome!

• 3 GeordieGerman “allez les gars!” // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Do I comment here or wait for the next article to appear in 2 minutes?

• 4 barryvenison // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Mcceachran scores for Chelsea after a couple of good saves from Given.

• 5 barryvenison // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Stephen Ireland is actually playing for Villa as well. Thought he was permacrocked.

• 6 cousto // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Have Cesspool lost 3-0 twice on the bounce now? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• 7 Dannyo // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM

There’s rumors flying about that the Erdinc deal is now tied up and it will be announced on Monday.
    May be having something to do with the alleged bonus payout?
    In any case, its a just rumor guys.

• 8 boater // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Geordie german – those Pavone reports were from 2 weeks ago,.,,

this yesterday .

• 9 toonarmy09 // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Wonder if erding is in the psg squad to play new York at 2pm!! Cant find psg team.

• 10 barryvenison // Jul 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM

@Toonarmy09- I have Espn, I’ll let you know in a minute.

• 11 barryvenison // Jul 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Erding is starting.

• 12 toonarmy09 // Jul 30, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Barry v -cheers mate ….interesting .

• 13 dave 1961 // Jul 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM

if Erding is starting there no deal done, and not a deal likely or he would not be risked.

• 14 Smooth moves Shola // Jul 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Can’t believe nobody has said it. Spitting image of Obama!

• 15 Felipe // Jul 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Better get used to us having a small squad Ed. With 22 senior players (10+ games or more) not counting the likes of Xisco, Perch & Routledge I don’t think we have to worry too much about hurrying the younguns and I don’t think it will be getting much bigger any time soon. Still, given it’s bigger than anyone’s squad outside of the european teams then I guess we should be happy!

• 16 Felipe // Jul 30, 2011 at 5:14 PM

In fact if anything I hope our large squad doesn’t impede the progress of Vuckic, Tavernier, Ferguson, Abeid, Sammy, Airey, Donaldson, Dummett, Richardson, Moyo, Henderson etc but there again that’s one of the risks of carrying such a big squad. :-)

• 17 max // Jul 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM

yeah..

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 31, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Any links for the Leeds game?

Any news about Tiote, and his visa?

All encouraging blogs about the younger players!

previous post: James Perch Looking To Leave Newcastle This Summer