All May Not Be Well In Newcastle Dressing Room

We noticed in the reports coming from America during the tour, there was a reference or two to potential unrest in the Newcastle dressing room.

Joey Barton – more tweets

And then the tweets of Jose Enrique didn’t help much of course,  but guess who’s been tweeting again?

Yes, it’s Joey Barton, and it seems that he’s indicating all may not be well in the Newcastle dressing room.

The midfielder hints there is some mistrust in the way the club is now being run by the Newcastle hierarchy – owner Mike Ashley and Managing Director Derek Llambias.

This is what Joey tweeted tonight:

“If only we as players could tell the fans exactly how it is, without them above fining us lots of money,” ” There will be a time and a place.”

“If it wouldn’t effect team morale and cause unrest within the dressing room, am certain Jose’s comments would be the tip of the iceberg…..”

“And again it would be left to those magnificent fans to pick up the remnants of their once great football club.”

“If I wanted to leave, I’d just come out and say “I want to leave.” Things need addressing as am not prepared to go through a relegation again.”

The very worst thing that can happen to Newcastle next season is that the lads lose that terrific team spirit that has stood them in such good stead over the last couple of seasons, since the disastrous relegation season.

But maybe Joey is referring to the distinct lack of new players that Newcastle  have brought in this summer, and the Tyneside club could well have a  smaller squad next season than they finished with last May.

That’s one of our biggest concerns and that’s a distinct probability with Alan Pardew saying after the Leeds game, that he wants just one more player in.

And it just so happens that the Premier League will be introducing new guidelines on how players can use the social networking networks.

We have to hope things are not as bad as Joey is suggesting, as the season starts against Arsenal in two weeks time, and next Saturday will be the final pre-season friendly against Fiorentina at St. James’ Park.

If things are upsetting the players, the right and proper way to handle them is to communicate in a responsible manner up the line, let the management know what they don’t like, rather than tossing bombs around that only cause more problems.

And we suppose Fabricio Coloccini, as the new captain, should be the one to do that, and of course Assistant Manager John Carver also has been given responsibility to ensure the team spirit remains good.

But it doesn’t help to just let things fester, that just breeds more mistrust, and this kind of stuff cannot be much of a help to the new players in the club either.

And of course a win against Arsenal would instantly raise the morale of everybody associated with the club. Winning has a way of doing that.

• The Shola Show

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:30 PM

joey…

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:32 PM

This is a better article than discussing joeys views on America Ed. Relates to the football 🙂 Lot’s of miles yet to run on joey bartons thoughts on the club hierarchy

• John Carver. “OK lads your all happy”. “Ok Mr. Pardew they’re all happy”.

• BelfastMagpie87

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Team spirit in abundance lately.lol.

Whats that now??

Barton Enrique Routledge Nolan & then Barton again.
    All slagging off the club.

• BelfastMagpie87, Pity all four of them don’t club together and buy Ashley out.

• Spike

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM

GG

John Carver – “Alan says you all have to be happy” “I’ve told them to be happy boss”.

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:40 PM

So he cant tell us what is going on because it will cost him to much.
    thats love for the fans then is it, what two weeks wages
    thanks Joey

• BelfastMagpie87

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Bet ya llambias is popular,when he pops in to see the lads.
    Haha

• I’m normally an optimist, but slowly the pessimist in me is starting to fight it’s way out.

• nick_9

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Belfast I wouldn’t say its the club they are slagging off, more the owner and I have to say I’m with them on this one. Nolan, Jose and Barton have all complimented the club and the fans. I bet they all pity us in all fairness, we are the play thing of a powerful man. If he messes with our club to the point where we perform badly then it effects every single one of us fans on match day. None of us like losing or seeing us play badly, it puts me in a foul mood. All is not well

• craig bell

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:44 PM

whats he on about go through another relegation? our squads better than a lot of others. even if jose goes. but if, like he says, speaking about the owners causes unrest and gets them fined… whys he still tweeting?

• If I was find by my boss for writing something in twitter. I think I’d take him to court. It must be oppression? Freedom of speech and all that.

• BelfastMagpie87

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I fully agree with there comments aswell.

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM

GG I’m exactly the same. I started this summer with a real optimistic view on what our club could achieve this season but now i’m just unsure. And nick i think you commented about your dog earlier on? I’m pretty much the same. If i have plans to go out after a bad performance i cancel them. It’s sad but i take this club that seriously!

• ochytoon

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Belfast
    The fans never see much of Lambias so I doubt the players even know who he is. When he shows up I bet they think he’s come out the local loony bin

• BelfastMagpie87

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Im the exact same.
    Any faith I had in spending money etc is now gone.

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 PM

If Barton hate’s Ashley and co so much then why not hand in a transfer request and go?
    Maybe knowing that any move would be a step backwards as none of the teams ahead of us would touch him, even on a free

• ronjohno

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Not that it makes much difference but apparantly Pardew actually said “a player or two”.
    If Barton is trying with his mates Enrique and Nolan to unsettle everybody (players and supporters) then they are doing a great job.
    Problem is what the hell do they think they are going to achieve because come hell or high water they are never going to change Ashley or Llambias stance – if anything it will likely make them worse.
    If Barton cares so much about Newcastle as he says then perhaps he could think a bit more about the other players especially the new ones who need encouragement not hearing backbiting which generates a headline like the above . Of course he will think he is doing it for the “good of”. Anyway if things are so bad why the hell does he insist on staying. or maybe he is just pushing as far as he can so that he gets a transfer but without requesting direct so he doesnt lose money.He should start and wonder if other clubs would want him if he goes on like that – what is to stop him doing to them if he feels upset.
    Think Barton is a good player (and I have previously defended him to the hilt) but really getting sick and tired of his bitching now – and what the hell was that America rant – dont they have a right to ban criminals because that is all his rant could have been about unless he is deluding himself that he is now some intellectual – as if.

• ochytoon

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM

JB
    If he hands in a transfer request then he won’t get any loyalty payments

• Charlietoon

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM

We have Gosling and Vukic playing their hearts out. These kids were brought in for a reason. What’s the point in buying good youngsters, training them up and paying them only to the go out and spend money on some random that will ensure they get even less time on the pitch. By the time Smith, Barton, Shola and Xisco all go at the end of this season well have good youngsters raring and ready to go

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 PM

It’s just turning out now to be an ego war between Llambias Ashley and Barton.

• Offkey

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM

@ JB

Maybe because the only place to hurt the fatman is by denying him money……go for free and pee him right off.

• gonz

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I got sacked for posting comments about my job on facebook. I would’ve happily taken a two weeks fine! Barton is rocking the boat and he’s doing it at the wrong time, but these tweets have left me wondering what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

• ronjohno

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Just noticed the times of all these replies. All after 11pm – how sad are we.

• Offkey

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM

@ronjohno

Hahaha……you have to be intellectual to have a political opinion…..

• nick_9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Andy its not sad at all, supporting newcastle is like a religion. I check the blog daily hoping for good news, I talk about newcastle daily. A bad performance/result doesn’t half stress me out, hence why we all hope for as much investment as possible. I think Barton is spot on with most of what he says, his tweets are revealing and if anything he is doing us a favour because I’m sure its making Pardew and Ashley think twice about trying to mug us fans off. It’s like having a geuine source or insider, its pretty clear what’s going on at the club. If Ashley had his way there would be no transparency at all. I love looking at the accounts myself becuase they don’t lie, although I’m sure there’s plenty of perks for Ashley and co hidden away. I bet he has an unlimited supply of pies paid for out of our revenue without us knowing.

• JackButler

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Offkey Ashley blows more than joey is worth in the casino without blinking an eye.

Barton needs to realize that this club has done more for him than he could ever do for us, we stood by him through his prison term and all the BS that he brought on himself and us, spouting off on twitter just pisses us off and does no good at all, no wonder he has no contract offer on the table, he needs to shut his mouth and play football

• Offkey

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Gonz…didn’t you think you were taking a risk when you did it…

• kingkev9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Barton has the balls to speak his feelings, good for him. The club is clearly a mess and the players feel like most fans. Lied to time after time after time

• Desange

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Its all fine saying these kids need time on the pitch, but ultimately we are going to suffer injuries, and our squad depth is pathetic, imagine going to old trafford with a midfield of albeid, vuckic, gosling, ferguson we would get destroyed, or even going to swansea with a backline of tavenier, kadar, dummet, perch?
    Obviously exaggerating, but without our stronger players i feel we look very weak

• kingkev9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM

Jack- Barton speaks the truth, whats wrong with that? He is sick of the lies like I am. He stated tonight he will refuse to be sold, he isn’t going anywhere, thank god because we need him.

Are keegan, Nolan, shearer, Jose, Barton all lying?

• Offkey

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:04 AM

@ JB

Agree its unprofessional and potentially damaging, but you often state the legitimate argument that MA would not run the club into the ground as he would lose money…….why would joey Barton purposely be trying to damage his career by these rants, damaging his career purely for a laugh…..I think there is a lot more to it than that…

• gonz

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM

@Offkey, The problem was I wasn’t thinking and the same goes for Barton. I’ve stood and supported him, but he’s going a little too far now with these tweets. I suppose he felt obliged to after seeing Nolans rant earlier today.

• kingkev9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Totally agree Desange, no depth in our squad and more players will leave

• boater

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Sorry!?!?!? so JackButler … he hasn’t said enough? He’s been pretty bold in fairness.

• kingkev9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM

How is he going too far gonz? Speaking the truth going too far?

• JackButler

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Barton needs to either come out and lay it all on the table once and for all or say nothing.
    What truth has he given us?
    He said himself earlier he would love to tell all but it would mean a fine from those in charge, so whats more important to him, telling us the truth or another 100k in the bank to add to the millions he already has.
    Don’t claim to love the fans then hide behind the threat of a fine, its bullshit

• Andy

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:09 AM

boater he’s said that he disagrees with the MA selling policy but he is very vague in other places like today when talking about personal relationships. I think the day he leaves there will be 100 calls in to him trying to get that exclusive interview of what is really going on at our club

• nick_9

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM

If Barton hands in a transfer request it plays right into ashleys hands, makes Barton out to be the bad guy for wanting to move. Maybe I’m gullible but I genuinely think Barton wants what is best for us fans and isn’t looking out for himself. One thing that does anger me is how we have the likes of smith and xisco on 60k a week contributing very little but then we don’t seem very competitive or reward our better performers. Routledge has gone now, that saves 20k or so per week. I wouldn’t begrudge giving Jose, Barton, collo etc a few thousand extra a week as a bonus out of routledges pay. Surely this motivates others to try harder?

• Offkey

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM

@JB

I thought he was pretty clear with the quality over quantity quote and the friendship quote after his initial rant.

1 2 3 6