In Honor Of The Great Bobby Robson

Today is the two year anniversary of the death of former Newcastle and England manager Bobby Robson.

Sir Bobby Robson – top manager and top man

Bobby was born in Sacriston in February, 1933, and played as a right-half for England, and of course managed Newcastle United to great success from 1999 until he was sacked by Freddy Shepherd in August of 2004.

Robson took over from the hapless Dutchman Ruud Gullit in 1999, when Bobby was 66 years old, and Newcastle were second bottom of the Premier League after 7 games of the 1999-2000 season.

And Newcastle had just suffered a 2-1 home defeat by local rivals Sunderland, when Gullit in his wisdom had dropped Alan Shearer.

Bobby had the Magpies at mid table by the end of that season, and in his last three seasons on Tyneside,  Newcastle finished 4th, 3rd and 5th in the Premier League, and Newcastle qualified twice for the European Champions League.

And how can we forget his very first home game at St. James’ Park in September of 1999, when Newcastle beat bottom-placed Sheffield Wednesday by an amazing  8-0 and Shearer hit five goals, and after the game Bobby was quoted as saying:

“Well, we got nine and you can’t score more than that.”

Bobby died at age 76 on July 31, 2009 which was a Friday, following a very long battle against cancer.

But Bobby had been at an England vs  Germany game in his honor at St. James’ Park on the previous Sunday, as a remebrance of the semi-final tie of the 19990 World Cup when England lost to West Germany 4-3 on penalties. after the game was drawn 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time.

And there had even been some doubts that he would be able to attend the game in his honor, as his health was failing fast at the time.

But Bobby was there and top players got to say their goodbyes to a wonderful manager and an even better person.

I make no secret of the fact that Bobby Robson is one of my heroes in football and in life, and long may he rest in peace.

• kilcline

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM

RIP a true footballing legend.

• IrishMagpie

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM

R.I.P Sir Bob. Not just a great manager, a great Man too.

• davybtoon

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35 AM

we had of got bobby as soon as kk left he would of won us the league he was that good

• AMEOBI

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM

R.I.P sad day, top man top manager everything about Newcastle

• toonfan76

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Just wanted to say R.I.P Sir Bobby, Just wish the man had been alive to see his club return to where they belong. This great man summed it up in a few words, “What have they done to my club.” No words spoken have had so much truth and meaning as these. Hope Sir Bobby is sitting on a cloud somewhere over St James, Looking out for his beloved club. Gone but not forgotten.

• TenaciousToon77

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:40 AM

God Bless you Sir Bobby, Gone but not forgotten
    Today we remember & are all thinking of you RIP SBR

• craigTnufc

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Always remembered RIP Bobby.

• Drona

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:43 AM

R.I.P. absolute legend. thanks for the memories wor Bobby. The Toon Army loves you

• Dannyo

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I’ll never forget the Sheffield Wednesday match.
    8-0, in modern day football, that is truly something.
    R.I.P Sir Bobby Robson.

• toonfan76

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM

We could have had Sir Bobby as Manager sooner than we did but he was still under contract with another club at the time, Even though the pull on his heart to manage his home town club was strong, He chose to honour the contract he was under and the job passed him by at that time. I believe it shows you that he was a truly honourable man and worthy of the knighthood he recieved. A Gentleman to the last. Loved and missed by footballing people and fans around the world. A Legend amongst Legends. He truly was THE greatest man in football.

• ToonMauritius

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Rest In Peace, Sir

• IrishMagpie

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I remember seeing an interview with Ameobi years ago when he broke into the team first.
    He was asked by the reporter who mentioned Bobby was famous for getting names wrong ” What does Bobby call you?”
    Sholas answer with a cheeky grin on his face ” Karl Cort”

• IH8_S4FC

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

RIP Bobby; legend and gentleman,

• Pete Martel

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM

My most savoured moments as a Newcastle United fan and season ticket holder were under Sir Bobby. A truly inspired leader who had a unique understanding with all of his players. Some of the football we played under him was incredible. Fast-flowing, attacking football. We’d win games like, 3-2, 4-3 every other week. And I’d never seen anything like our Champions League come back either. I remember Sir Alex said that if we had kept Bellamy fit towards the end of the season then we would have probably won the league that year (although I can’t remember which season that was?)

R.I.P Sir Bobby. Never forgotten. Newcastle legend.

“Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital after the Tottenham game and he’s driving, living the life and aware of who he is.” – Sir Bobby Robson.

• NUFC 1892

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM

RIP SIR BOBBY

• numba9

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:22 AM

took a while for him to be knited and make him SIR BOBBY, well he is the only sir in my eyes, the man WAS football!!! thank u Mr Robson for some of my best memories

• wynbae

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Love you Bobby, God bless. A Gentleman, a Geordie, a Great Manager, and a Good Bloke.

• tanmag

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Still get all choked up & a little teary whenever I think about this hero. Really loved this man … He’ll be forever remembered.

• zaktoon_swede

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM

as someone said on here earlier; sir bobby never lost to cancer, he won 4 to 1.
    rest in peace, thank you for the memories.

• JAMSHA

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:41 AM

R.I.P SIR BOBBY ROBSON

Ur Truely A Legend

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:41 AM

KK brought me to football but Sir Bobby and his love and passion for the game made me fall in love with it. The fact his charity is doing so well shows what a respected man he is throughout the country. RIP Sir Bobby

What time is the match today?

• Edd Case

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Legend and true gentleman.
    RIP Sir Bobby

Sir Bobby was one of the few in the hot seat that really showed the world what the good folk of Newcastle were about, how many others can you recall that have shown this football club AND city in such high regard?

• boater

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:50 AM

“Selling like cream cakes.”

Howay! Day to celebrate wor Bobby not to be sad.

• JAMSHA

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Lets win today’S GAME for Sir BOBBY.

• Obafan

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I will remember Sir Bobby Robson for 2 things:

1. At the World Cup in Italy, England had to play against my country Belgium. England won in the 120th minute with a goal scored by Platt, but Belgium should have won that game after 90 minutes with at least 0-3. Sir Bobby was the England manager then.

2. Sir Bobby as manager of Newcastle. The period he was manager the club was doing very well. I never understood why they sacked him.

R.I.P. Sir Bobby, you are a true football legend!

• Offkey

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

@ IrishMagpie @ Pete Martel @ Ed

Enjoyed the quotes thoroughly.

Sir Bobby Robson……..brilliant man…….legend……RIP

• Dannyo

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Right, any bets on results today then?
    I’m guessing 5-1, Ba scores two!

• Milner

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Rest In Peace Bobby

Has anyone ever seen the england compilation video 1990, he’s telling a story about how Gazza came out the changing room at pool side, covered head to toe in toilet paper bandages, and ketchup, saying: “Has anybody seen the doctor? has anybody seen the doctor?!……Just…Fantastic. Fantastic.”

Always made me crack up – shows the kind of humour he liked and his take on life, i think. Certainly couldn’t imagine Fabio in that situation.

Legend.

• miffy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM

A truely lovely man. If I could be even half the man Sir Bob was I would be very happy indeed. Rest In Peace.

• alex84

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM

can’t wait to see cabaye in action today!

RIP Sir Bobby…one of the greatest managers ever lived!

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Hope Ba scores. I’ll go with 3-1

• Tyneside

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Sadly missed, RIP Sir Bob

• Milner

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

will cabbage and gosling start in the middle together? with joey out right, and Jonas/Marv on left?

• ross armstrong

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM

any links 4 the match 2day lads??

• Andy

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM

ross it’s on the leeds website for £5 so i’d be shocked if there wasn’t a stream from there website. We’ll just have to put up with biased commentary

• MadAboutToon

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM

rest in peace sir bobby robson, you were a truly great football manager and even better person, i never loved newcastle as much before you were newcastle manager you made me so proud to be a newcastle fan and i never lost that ever since, it was a sad day when you left this club and a even sadder day when you left this world. you are my hero may you rest in peace.

• mattnufc

• Tyneside

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:18 PM

4-2-3-1

With Jonas supporting Ba

• JAMSHA

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I 4ot. Today sir bobby robson death anvasirvy. N ma late dad’s birthday 2 🙁 a day to remember both 4 me