Newcastle Manager Still Undecided On Goalkeeper Position

Alan Pardew has said today that Fraser Forster’s bad slip for the first goal yesterday, has not put him out of the reckoning to become Newcastle’s first team goalkeeper next season.

Fraser Forster – bad slip yesterday for first goal

And it seems Alan Pardew still has to make up his mind on who will start between the sticks against Arsenal.

This is what Alan said today about Fraser and the goalkeeping situation in general at the club this morning:

“If you put Fraser’s mistake to one side, because they can happen, his reaction was good and he made a good save. He’s not out of the frame by any shape or form,”

“The plan is to play Harper at Gateshead and Tim Krul against Fiorentina. Then I’ll choose who the goalkeeper is going to be against Arsenal,”

“I’ll probably choose that fairly early that week after I’ve been fair to all three. They’ve all had enough game time and it won’t be an easy decision to make.”

You’ve got to believe Alan will play his best team against Fiorentina, and therefore if you read the tea leaves, or read between the lines,  it would appear that Tim Krul will get the starting jersey against Arsenal.

Newcastle will play at Gateshead tomorrow, and it seems Alan will play a mix of first teamers and youngsters in that game, which will help out Gateshead financially, and hopefully there will be a decent crowd at the game.

If we were to hazard a guess we’d say Fraser Forster will again be loaned out for next season somewhere – although not to Glasgow Celtic again.

• Indian Magpie

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Harper for Me

• JohnnyBrookes

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

XAVI – previous post

I can only assume that was some attempt at Sarcasm? But yeah good one, because clearly everything is happy and going along great at NUFC, with senior players coming out and bad mouthing the club.

Shitttt… I must be wanting freddie shepard, michael owen, luque back, spend loads, on rubbish players, we have improved, I’m a negger, I’m a mackem ETC ETC ETC

Fact is I have brain cell to speak of, and can see what is actually going on.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Krul for me without a doubt

• grumpy_old_sod

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Krul for me, basic errors from Forster, I thought he was poor for all goals. Harper steady enough, but I think tim will edge him out.

• paulrutter1511

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Forster was shakey all game, send him bak to celtic please after watching him yesterday i understand why he has never played at england for any level he gave no confidence to the back four never spoke a word to his defenders during the game and looked like that was his first ever game leeds keeper was way better i am afraid to say !!

• leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate )

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I think kruls no1 if he playin at fiorentina

• ochytoon

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Oh this has to be a joke. How Fraser can retain a position in the squad after the leeds game and from what I hear he wasn’t good at Celtic either

• paulrutter1511

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Also another thing which annoyed me from yesterday was after the game the toon players just walked off all apart from barton who threw his shirt to the crowd and acknowledged us all the rest including AP just went to the changing rooms no thanks for watching that shower of pap or nowt !! they take the support for granted !!

• Stuart

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Krul for me. Forster should be nowhere near like.

Also starting to sh1t! Whats this about only 1 more player? What about the new striker, or LB, or CB? Thats just what is neccessary!

I’ve said all summer I’ll wait til 1st Sept but I’m starting to get the feeling that I’ll be fuming come Sept 1st.

• leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate )

Aug 1, 2011 at 9:57 AM

@6 he was dodgy at Celtic.people think he gonna be greatcos he’s massive

• eaststandgeordie1982

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Aye stuart im starting to feel the same and i think a few will go aswell

• Hoppefot79

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I’m not worried at all! Think we have some very good players at the club, and even youngsters pushing for the 1st team. I think Pardew is an ok manager and will do well this season. Barton shouldn’t tweet the stuff he’s tweeting, not helping anyone. Couldn’t care less if he’s telling the truth or not, it’s doing the cause no good. I’m remaining positive, top 8 for me!

• grumpy_old_sod

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

There seems to be a lot of negativity coming from the club in the last month or so, and I don’t particularly include the fans. Players are starting to disrespect the club via twitter, players want to leave, the manager keeps changing his story about how many players are coming in. I’m always the optimist but I really think that the club are starting to break apart from the inside. I think Ashley is using pardew as a puppet, and shame on pardew for not standing his ground. I realise it’s his job, but when you see things falling apart at work, you don’t keep your mouth shut because you might upset the boss. Pardew has no backbone in my opinion.
    Feel bad now for being pessimistic.

• Kris

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Krul, he will be a star. This is Harper’s last year, we cant loose out on Krul for playing Harper for just one year. We need to look into the future, and Krul are the future.

• geoff777

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I guess you have to see the keepers together in training to decide who is the most agile, makes the best decisions, most confidence, best distribution, best shot stopper, best one on one, best reflex saves …

If I was forced to chose atm … the order would be Krul, Harper, Forster.
    I’m giving it to Krul because of his age and potential.

Not too worried about yesterday’s result.
    No Tiote, Colo, Enrique and Willo isn’t match fit.

Taylor’s goal scoring must give him an edge over Willo.

• WesJameson

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Who cares anymore…..23 years of dedicated support, my NUFC is in shambles……..AGAIN!!!!!

• SaulToon

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM

think harps will get the start at arsenal. I still cringe every time i see a cross come in when Krul is playing

• JimmyToonToon

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

@15 I totally agree, he’s going to be another great toon keeper. He’s got it all going for him, he’s young and starting to get noticed by the Dutch first team. Going to Brasil and keeping a clean sheet will be a massive confidence boost for the lad. I agree he sometimes does the odd blunder, but he will learn from those mistakes. HWTL

• dave 1961

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:59 AM

pardew’s a liar he’s put Mevlut Erding name out as a smokescreen but sadly not to cover for a real signing but to cover for no signing, he’s happy to lie to the fans just like the puppet masters. its weird that PSG say we have never spoken about Erding, we are stuck with ba who’s no better than shola this is so comical.

• Chaz

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I’ve said this before – Harper needs to be groomed to become THE goalkeeping coach at Newcastle. SO – player (back-up for Krul) / coach role this year. Forster had a ‘mare’ yesterday BUT even taking this into consideration needs to considerably improve his game to make our first team.

• ToonTitanTiote

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM

@11
    keeping 21 clean sheets and breaking Celtic’s record for the most clean sheets in a season, aye he did shit for them didn’t he. he’s a good keeper and deserves a shot. Krul would be my number one cos he has more experience, can’t judge Forster cos you’ve heard about one bad game, send him out on loan and he’ll come back better than Krul, one of the best out and out shot stoppers you’ll see

• tynesidetommo

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Fraser has a long way to go before he’s PL class. Good shot stopper but has to work on the rest of his game. Celtic fans weren’t too impressed with him last season though Lennon is still keen to take him to Parkhead on a permanent deal. He’s another who could be leaving the Toon before the window slams shut.

Reckon AP has been stringing the three keepers along. I’d be surprised if Harps isn’t number 1 next season with Krul becoming first choice there after.

• Lee Dodd

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Harper Has to Be Number 1 and Tim Krul as Number 2 Keeper. Sorry But Forster is not good Enough still !!!! send him to Norwich on Loan !!!