The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Confusion Over Status Of Barton – 73% Want Him To Stay

11:58 pm, Thursday, August 4th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 78 Comments

Alan Pardew seems to want an end to the altercation between Joey Barton and the club’s hierarchy.

Alan Pardew - olive branch extended

Alan Pardew suggested at his press conference on Thursday afternoon that Barton’s career may not be over at Newcastle, as he said:

“I’ve never closed the door on anyone and I’m not closing the door on Joey.”

“He trained with the development team today and, who knows, he may train with the first-team soon.”

“Joey is a great player and you want great players in your team.” “It’s very important as a football club that you are all pulling in the same direction.”

“Joey is not pulling in the same direction.” “That’s not to say that can’t change in a short period of time.”

“I’m still reflecting on the situation, as is Joey at this present time, on how best to resolve this issue.”

And there seemed to be rather dramatic change of tune from Newcastle’s Managing Director Derek Llambias today, after Joey himself seemed to want to patch things up last night.

It’s not clear if it is possible to make everything whole again with Joey Barton, after what has happened this week, but after Alan Pardew made his comments at the press conference on Thursday afternoon, Joey tweeted the following:

‘Does anybody have Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s number?’

Brunel was a British civil engineer who built bridges and dockyards in the nineteenth century, including the construction of the first major British railway, the Great Western Railway.

We suppose the reference is to Brunel as a bridge builder.

So it’s hard to know what the actual situation is with Joey Barton at the moment, other than both parties are thinking it over, but something needs to be worked out soon.

And in our  poll we put out earlier today, a full  73% want Joey to stay at Newcastle next season.

If it can all be worked out, it seems that the Newcastle fans would be happy enough for Joey to stay at Newcastle, but he will also have to alter his ways of course.

Is is possible for Joey to eventually sign a long term contract at the Tyneside club?

It’s just a thought, a wild thought.

Comments always welcome.

Tags: Contracts · Joey Barton · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

78 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDownSouth // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM

I think Joey was implying that it’ll take a pretty damn big impressive bridge to fix this…

• 2 AMEOBI // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Yeah Joey’s a clever bloke man

• 3 Warwick Hunt // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM

@ ToonDownSouth.
    Then he better be a good builder of bridges, as, as far I’m concerned thay are for him to build.

• 4 Colo2 // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I would prefer to keep Barton rather than sign Barnetta. I hope the bridge can be built.

I know people believe that Pardew is a puppet, but I don’t think he would have said this if he was

Pardew said: “We need to bring more in. The problem I’ve got with the group at the moment is that they want to see one or two players coming through the door. They do. The fans do.
    “I want that to happen – I’m making it very, very clear to Derek and Mike that we need one or two boys in this door, now. I mean now.”

Thought he came across really well in the interviw, I feared it would be another PR spin

• 5 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

is it just me or all these anecdotes from Asbo just make him look even more lunatic than ever?

• 6 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Where i work we have a member of staff with Boarderline personality Disorder, he is by far the most gifted member of staff i have ever worked with.

He can also be a massive pain you just need to know how to manage him. Making him feel alone or not wanted, or a faliure bring out the worst in him.

I think this is the problem that Barton has.

• 7 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM

he’ll never beat eric cantona for his seagull quote after kicking that palace fan haha

• 8 barryvenison // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM

8 days til the Arsenal match. Who will be our left back? Who will be on the right wing? Who will start up front?

• 9 shamsoftabriz // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM

An indefinite circus surrounding Barton’s status will do nothing but decrease the chances that other players will want to join the team, that’s for sure.

• 10 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Della Negra was the son of an Italian who have leave Italia by fear of the Mussolini’s regime for he was a communist.

Once in France, his son have start to work in a factory early (at the age of 14), but he was playing football very good.

When he was 16, France was invaded. At the time, following his Father, Della Negra was member of a youth communist movement.

The behaviors of the communist party in France at the time was a bit ambiguous, but finaly, after the german offensive against USSR start, they have clearly joined the resistance, bringing with them a tremendous secret network and the habits of clandestine operations.

At the same time, Della Negra’s Gift was noticed by the Red Star, the greatest club of the Paris area at the time.
    He finally join them, showing great display of skill on the pitch.

He was a very gifted 18 year old Right winger, playing for the first team. No one know what would have been his career without the war.

Unfortunatly for him, as a worker, he was subject to obligatory work in Germany.

Which he have not accept. His action in the resistance begun at this moment. He was a member of the FTP MOI (a resistence network of communist foreign people) and later of the famous Manouchian’s network, the most well known movement of the resistance. The record of Della Negra in the resistance was really impressive. And the day, he was still playing for the Red Star!

Unfortunatly his network was also well noticed by the Gestapo. Finally all the 23 member were arested. Most of them were famous for their presence on “l’affiche rouge”, a german propaganda poster on all the french walls.

But he was not on him, probably cause he was italian, as Mussolini was.

Anyway, 22 members of the network were shoted at “le Mont valérien” in 1944, when the 23 rd member, a woman called Olga Bancic was beheaded later in Stutgart.

Those are Della Negra last words (writted to his younger Brother):

“Say hello and farewell to all the Red Star.”

He was 20 year old.

• 11 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Joey Barton aka RAINMAN

• 12 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM

shearermania,

and at the moment he’s our Rainman!

• 13 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:26 AM

no with barton it neve rains it bloody pours

• 14 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM

@Andy

Obertan is a another of the countless french young players who have lose themselves by signing in a foreign far too big fro them club.

Maybe can he do something good in Newcastle, maybe not.

• 15 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM

What was he like at bordeaux? How does he play as i’ve seen v little of him

• 16 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:29 AM

I have vote for Barton Staying, althoug i don’t defend his behaviors. But to be honnest, now, i’m worrying for Pardew. This is a clear sign of protest against the board.

• 17 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:30 AM

But he may have to go to wal’send to see charlie babet.

• 18 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:32 AM

@Andy

To be honest, me too. He have leave Bordeaux early, and at the time, he was not an important player in the Squad.

It was just a very bad choice to leave, anyway for a club lile MU. Really too big for him. The first need of young players is to play.

• 19 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Well, anyway, this Barton story is a stress test of Padrew power in the club.

What will he do if he’s truned down again and Barton fired?

• 20 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM

turned down

• 21 Charlietoon // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Listening to Joey Barton on Twitter is like watching a couple fight on facebook. Just pathetic

• 22 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:38 AM

The french championship start saturday.

Football is coming back!

• 23 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

soundoisd…..my brother charlie babett…brilliant…

• 24 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Any stand out fixtures?

• 25 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Do you guys think this is a fallout with Pards, or that the board or involved?

• 26 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM

both

• 27 shearermania // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM

the bottle of red is empty so is off to bed,,,,,night gents

• 28 ToonAndy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Niafron – which french player that has come to Newcastle do you think will suprise us the most??

• 29 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

your under 20 team is actually playing. 0-0 against Mexico.

Can they qualify for the next round?

• 30 nightfa11 // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

christophe dugarry (former french international) while at bordeaux said obertan is the new c.ronaldo.. but yeah…hes not=) he might fulfill his potential one day..but its a gamble..a gamble i personally wouldnt take..

& 1 question. why are we after another midfielder? our weakes point is defence..we need to build our team from there..forget midfielders.. sign a striker & a good defender who can play across back 4. that should be our priority..not some obertan.

• 31 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Aye me too, i think they have all calmed down now, or Swansea said ‘routledge for 2million or Barton for free… can we have Barton?

• 32 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM

TO surpise the most? Well, in good or bad?

• 33 nick_9 // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Tried voting but for some reason it wouldn’t allow it. I would have voted for him to remain in toon. I suspect its Jose and Barton who feel we need 1 or 2 more players in, they are the players bleating about the clubs ambition. Mike Ashley would hate me if I was on charge, I’d be pestering him for more than one or two but then on the other hand I’m sure he would like my ruthless side for trying to get rid of Smith and Xisco.

• 34 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Dugarry is a donkey.

• 35 soundoid // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Can anyone remember Smith punching Willo at the Watford game last year?

• 36 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Well, i think Ben Arfa, but maybe not this season. For he have never played a full season as a starter (and don’t even speak of the last one), so he need to play before reaching his top level.

But altough you’re very enthousiast about him, you don’t have any idea of the phenomenon you now got in the team.

• 37 ToonAndy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Which one for good and which one for bad? Haha

• 38 ToonAndy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM

That’s an interesting statement Niafron…. What do u mean by phenomenon in the team?

• 39 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM

FOr good Ben arfa as i’ve said. FOr bad, i don’t know, well not Cabaye he’s a very regular guy, so, maybe Marv. But let’s be optimistics!

I don’t speak of Abeid, i don’t know much about him.

• 40 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Simply that: he’s a phenomenon. A prodigee if you prefer.

He can be awarded best player of the PL at the end of the year, altough as i’ve said, i rather think he will be very good next season.

• 41 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:55 AM

How about strengths and weaknesses of marveaux, cabaye and HBA? I know a bit about cabaye seen a bit about HBA but marv is still very unknown to me

• 42 barryvenison // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:57 AM

Do we really need a new LB? We should just put Jonas there, if it’s good enough for Maradona it’s good enough for us. Then we could play SammyAmeobi or Vukic on the left wing. Abeid and Cabaye could play in the middle of the park, no Tiote since we can sell him to earn much needed funds for Ashley’s prostitute fund. Loverman on the right wing so we don’t notice how crap of a striker he actually is. Up front we can have Ba and Shola. Shola works tirelessly and performs consistently (who cares if it is at a league 2 level). Ba’s knee will be fine, I mean it’s not like we have a history of our players being constantly injured. With Colo and S.Taylor at the back and Simpson at RB we’ll have one hell of a squad. If we need backups I’m sure we can rely on untested youth team players that haven’t even been loaned out at the championship level. I’m so optimistic and excited for the coming season. Still not sure why I’m stuck in this psychiatric ward…

• 43 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:59 AM

barry you’ve posted comments like this consistently for the past 2 days. I don’t get what you achieve from doing so.

• 44 ToonAndy // Aug 5, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Well I watched Ben Arfa once or twice before he came to Newcastle and I couldn’t believe we signed him…. He was very rusty against Darlington (his first game since injury) but you can tell he has a very special ability…. I am very much looking forward to watching him perform this season… I am almost humbled that he plays for my team.

• 45 barryvenison // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM

@Andy- I get a good laugh.

• 46 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM

HBA: poor air player, got to work for improve his defensives skills, among the best in the world in all other sectors of the play.

Cabaye: a solid defensive midfield with good offensive skills (shot, deep pass, free kicks). A tough worker. Maybe did he lack of physical power. And he was unconfident last season, missing some penalty shots.

Marv: A gifted creative midfield. Can make the play, or remain on the wing. Really more regular in his performance than Ben arfa was in France. But he didn’t got his pure class.
    His weakness? His groins i fear…

• 47 niafron // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:07 AM

OK guys, go to bed. Good night.

• 48 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:09 AM

@Barry fair enough ha

• 49 Davies // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM

I still want Barton to go. Aside from everything else, he’s setting an appalling example to the rest of the squad. Can’t get your own way? Get on twitter and slag off the club. Can’t lose.

Get out, and take your baggage with you, you poisonous little tw@.

• 50 ToonAndy // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:14 AM

Goodnight Niafron…. I’m off aswell lads, I’ll wake up looking for good news yet again but doubt I’ll find any…

• 51 BigKirky // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Great quotes from pardew. All they can do is put pressure on Ashley and dirty Derek. Hopefully theyl cave and get the two and or three quality players.

• 52 Trent Toon // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:48 AM

At least we have 35 million in our bank now the world economy is stuffed!!!!

• 53 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Ed we’ve been linked with obertan again today. I would suggest to you the article title ‘Obertoon?’

• 54 headtheball // Aug 5, 2011 at 2:30 AM

barryvenison@45
    I get a good laugh as well.
    If you can’t laugh at NUFC you would probably weep.
    Owned by Simon the Pieman run by Delboy the famous East End trader and managed by Rodney.
    ONLY FOOLS and SUPPORTERS.
    HWTL

• 55 roshan MAGPIE // Aug 5, 2011 at 3:53 AM

i hope we get a stricker before arsenal match

• 56 aclaptonmapleleaf // Aug 5, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Am I the only one that thinks perhaps Barton has a drinking problem and goes on binges that brings out his nastiness! At least he didn’t go out and beat someone up as he has done in the past!

• 57 Expat MAG // Aug 5, 2011 at 4:47 AM

I voted for Barton to stay but obly if he signs a new extended contract that stops his stupid remarks in Twitter….

• 58 Expat MAG // Aug 5, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Has any one heard of “Oswaldo Vizcarrondo” as apparently he’s in the Venezuala national team and played well in the recent Copa America.

My Venezualan work mate is saying it’s all over the local papers that Newcastle United are after him!

• 59 TinoToon // Aug 5, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Expat MAG, Vizcarrondo had a very good Copa America, but he’s a very poor defender that didnt perform well in Colombian League and currenly plays in Venezuela in a very poor side.

• 60 Marty-Toon // Aug 5, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Just remember the two guys that got us back in the game against Arsenal last season were Nobby n Joey.
    What they showed in true grit n passion is instilled only in a few players and they are usually from the British isles.
    Great player,total idiot.

• 61 liddz // Aug 5, 2011 at 6:39 AM

I think Barton outgreedys FBMA….. If someone offered me 9+MILLION quid over 3 years to play footy for the “people and the team I adore” id have took it, it’s hardly like he would need to worry finacially about his future is it

• 62 Indian Magpie // Aug 5, 2011 at 6:41 AM

Did any one see the preformance of

fabian Dela mora

Spurs were in for him.

do we have a shout

He is more of a left sided player than a striker.

• 63 TORONTOON // Aug 5, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Joey is my captain everytime I boot up PES

• 64 geoff777 // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I guess it depends how far he went in his dressing room rant.

Was it motivation or intimidation?

No one in any workplace should be threatened by an aggressive colleague.

Players who can turn games from defeats into draws or wins are few and far between.
    Without Joey I don’t think we have anyone else like that.

Is Ashley part of this bridge building process and will he give Joey a new contract … one with a gagging order built in?

If not it’s a temporary pontoon bridge rather than a structure Brunel would have built.
    Then this will all come to the boil again sometime during the upcoming season.

• 65 bills-son // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:23 AM

This is shaping up to me as a battle not between the club and Barton but between Pardew and Ashley.

No way would Pardew be offering the olive branch if he had made the decision to give Barton a free. Pardew, despite what some think, is no puppet. He plainly wants to keep Barton and Ashley plainly wants him out – but Pardew is speaking out publically against Ashley’s decision. Pardew is also publically stating that he and the players want at least two more players signed. That is little different to what Barton and Enrique tweeted – only put far more diplomatically.

Pardew a puppet? Absolutely not.

How will Ashley react? I honestly don’t know. This is a real test of how much faith he has in Pardew. My guess now is that Barton will stay. If that happens I just hope Barton hasn’t split the dressing room and that Pardew isn’t seen as weak by the half that doesn’t like Barton. If that happens we are f%cked.

Best decision by a mile is to get shot of Barton. The risks of keeping him are far too great.

• 66 Rotonda heights // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:30 AM

shamsoftabriz

I guess 73% think the antics, circus and baggage that barton brings and which probably stop good players coming and make every other club’s supporters loathe us are a good thing. You couldn’t make it up. I really despair sometimes. Doesn’t it tell you anything that for all agent McKay’s bluster, no other club has come in for him ! Pardew’s remaining bit of backbone has completely been whittled away now.

• 67 Rotonda heights // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Marty toon

We are talking about one game, when Arsenal were down to 10 men for a long time. yes great comeback but you can’t base everything on one game.

• 68 Rotonda heights // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:37 AM

roshan

or a striker even. Too cold for strickers!

• 69 thai-mag // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM

barnetta injured this week, must be a cert to sighn for us now then

• 70 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:44 AM

He’s only out for 3 weeks so it wouldn’t surprise me if we got him in. His real agent spoke today

• 71 BigKirky // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:46 AM

@lee_ryder: Barnetta’s real agent:”It’s unfortunate but Tranquilo picked up an injury this week, which means he is not even thinking about moving’ #nufc

• 72 Andy // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Proper convo is up on Ssn website. He says we did everything right and talks went well with us and other clubs they’ve talked to

• 73 alex84 // Aug 5, 2011 at 8:53 AM

screw it…get him signed up!!

• 74 Magpietillidie22 // Aug 5, 2011 at 9:04 AM

73% WANTED HIM TO STAY?

Im honestly shocked at that… How can people want a disruptive player in the ranks? He wont sign a new deal and if he stays this will all blow up again in a couple months or after a couple bad results

#joeyisatimebomb

• 75 jimmymagpie // Aug 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Well, now it’s official – this club is imploding! Pardew has lost patience and is leaking to the press that team spirit is not good despite what his own number two said earlier this week, and admits that the fatman is not releasing funds. Tiote is refusing to return and is hoping he gets transfered before the season starts, and a fast approaching new global recession means that nobody will touch this club with a barge pole. The fatman now threatens the players against using their basic human right of freedom of speach. I saw my first game at SJP just after the second world war, and this is the worst regime we have ever had at this club, and this season can only bring relegation and more players walking away.

• 76 eaststandgeordie1982 // Aug 5, 2011 at 9:15 AM

i just got a txt dont know if anyone else has heard this but here it is!

barton situation came about when him smithy and harper were told to tell the rest of the squad that they would no longer be win bonuses this season, of course they refused barton refused to do lambarses dirty work it caused an almity row which left the squad furious! jose says he will stay only if 3 top signings come in and barton re instated.

all i can say is jose we all want that and its funny how the way things are going with barton looks like it could happen but this is £a$ley and we all know he hates to spend but loves to give a 90m bonus shared to all his staff at sports direct and he wont spend 35m on players

• 77 Rowan Milsted // Aug 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I’ve said everything I want to say about this. Let’s just hope it’s all resolved soon!

• 78 mikeashleyisamackem // Aug 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM

why is mike ashley such a twat please speak with your customers or do you have a lack of social skills if the toon dont least get a couple a good players totalling somewhere round 35 million than he has lied through his back teeth again why should i not just chuck my season ticket in the bin an empty st james i can see on the cards imagine we dont spend and first 5 games goes bad i predict a riot

previous post: Wayne Routledge Completes Move to Swansea – Official