Pardew – Joey Barton In The Driving Seat On His Future

Alan Pardew has today clarified things regarding Joey Barton and his future, be it on Tyneside or at another club.

Alan Pardew – clarified things further today

Pardew told the local Newcastle press today:

“It is difficult when we are looking for transfers and maybe waiting for one or two players to come in.”

“That has been our big problem, and that has frustrated the group, Joey and myself – we want one or two players to come into this building.”

“We are not that far away – but we already have some very good players.”

We think Alan Pardew has been put into a tough position by Derek LLambias,  but he did very well under difficult circumstances yesterday, in trying to calm the waters at his press conference.

And today Alan wanted to put a few other things straight, with some of the stories surrounding Barton:

“With the Joey situation, I need to clarify two things.”  “Firstly, I reflected on Sunday and did not think he was with us in that game.”  “On the first day he was in, he would have trained with the development group, but they had a game at Gateshead so he trained with a fitness trainer.”

“Yesterday he trained with the development group, and that is where he will continue to train until such time as this all gets resolved, we all calm down and Joey decides what he wants to do.”  “Ultimately, Joey is in the driving seat.”

“Myself and Joey have had a good relationship, and I think the fans will be surprised it is still intact with everything that has gone on.”  “I am in the middle of some history here between the owners and Joey.”

“I am trying to manage it as best as I can, but I have to have Joey being Joey.”

It’s up to Joey to decide and decide soon, what he wants to do, and it seems that Stoke, Everton and Celtic are the only clubs really interested in taking Barton, and that’s hardly a step up for the Liverpudlian.

We already have had uncertainty surrounding Jose Enrique for several months now, and whether he will leave or not.

Joey and Jose  are two very good players, no doubt about that,  but if they don’t want to play for Newcastle, then so be it – they should leave.

The most important players for Newcastle are those at the club, and we hope Joey and Jose will decide soon what exactly they want to do, although there’s now just 26 days left in the transfer window.

Time flies when you are having fun!

Comments always welcome.

• liddz

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Joey, GO AWAY

• sindrith

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I really want him to stay. Did you guys know, that we didn’t win one game in PL without Barton last season?

• dave 1961

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM

so we have owner’s do we, is Llambias counted in the owner’s or is it that Ashley’s so fat he’s classed as more than one person.

• ~Cheik Mate~

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Dave, its becasue Ashley’s So fat…

Surely they wouldnt allow a Sewer Rat to Co-Own a football club

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Ashley Is not fat,He’s big boned……. 🙂

• Andy

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I thought he had lost weight lately. My bad 😛

• scdoty

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I tell you what you all have a go at AP but personally I think he is proving to be quite good. He has to work for them two f*#king morons up stairs, and I don’t think he is as much a puppet as people think. Any manager takes orders from the people at the top, that’s just how things work.

On a brighter note let’s get Barnetta signed up, would give us what we want on the right wing. And then that’s one fine, strong, good passing, hard mid field.

Barnetta—-joey—-tiote—–Cabaye—–jonas

I’m aware I’ve missed HBA but that mid field would be good against big teams. No???

HWTLs

• LewSpi

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:32 PM

It’s remarkable how similar he looks to Jabba the Hutt.

• Munster Mag

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Scdoty ….well said. Too many muppets on this site slag off Pardew without thinking about the sh1t he has to work with in terms of contraints and lying owners. He’s doing well, and will do better if we can get him at least two more decent players.

• Nicky Papavasiliou

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM

No player assisted more goals from set-piece situations in the PL last season than Joey Barton.

• lesh

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

I hope Joey realises he’s got to keep his nose very very clean otherwise, he will be sacked, contract terminated, finito, gone, bladdered, out the door!

No ifs or buts but this general warning about tweeter et al includes him!!!

• nightfa11

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Joey just found out how the system works & now hes acting like a spoiled brat.. welcome to reality..it was about time.. u can do what ever the F*** u want..AFTER u finish ure career as a football player… until then..stfu & be grateful for what u have..u dont deserve it btw.

NUFC is the best club ull ever get to.. manutd, arsenal, etc? do u really think SAF would tolerate u.. even if he (little sci fi story) signs u.. ull have a chance to prove ure worth..but cos of ur temper ull lose ure first team spot..SAF wont play u…& ull complain about it on tweeter.. yeah im sure big clubs want this=)

• roshan MAGPIE

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:37 PM

hope we sign 2 players soon

• Andy

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Marveaux jonas and barnetta fighting it out for both wings would be interesting and good. Bit of competition and some proper cover there

• ochytoon

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I reckon we will get Barnetta

• AMEOBI

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Scdoty,

Well put mate, I like Pardew in all fairness he’s never had a shot with a big club? West ham aren’t big imo got them to FA cup and lost in penaltys? He’s not bad at all

• lesh

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Agree Scdoty, Pard’s taking the bulk of the flak but I think he’s in an invideous position and is/ has handled it very well. I’m sure he’s taken what he’s been told by the so called ‘board’ in good faith and passed it on to fans in the same sprit.

Ashley also gets the blame for the lack of activity but and as I suggested on an earlier post, he will not be hands-on day-to-day managing the the club – he has delegated the authority for doing so to Mr Llambias!

Now, Llambias will act a Pards conduit to Ashley and Ashley will make decisions based on recommendations he’s given by Llambias.

If Llambias hasn’t got a grip of the realities of football while he’s managing the purse strings, then Ashley’s probably being ill-advised!

Again, I’d suggest that one man’s been involved in all the shinanigans during Ashey’s stewardship and he’s the one that Ashley should sack and replace with someone who knows the game and its finances!

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Llambias should of been sacked donkeys ago.
    From running a casino was It??
    To running a football club.haha

• ochytoon

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Belfast
    Hey, you can’t talk about Lambias liek that. He’s doing his best at ruining this shambles we call a team :p

• nightfa11

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM

true..but casions are probably the most difficult to manage..

• NI Toon

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Chris Mort – was the last person we had that we could repect and trust.

However he seemed to move on pretty quickly which does suggest that even if we had a good Chairman they would not be able to advise and persuade Ashley to do the right thing.

• ochytoon

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Btw guys, I have been doing some research on asset stripping via Fifa 11. It turns out that selling your expensive players and replacing them with young players actually works, currently beating stoke 2-0 at the brittania.

• premier

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM

you put your best player in, best player out,
    in, out, in, out
    muck him all about

• ToonMobile

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM

For those of you who think Pardew is doing a good job under difficult circumstances a little reminder. It is under his stewarship that we are losing talented players. It is under his stewardship that very few players have been brought in.

If he is communicating the problems to the board and there is no action, he should be coming out and saying the reasons why no AC replacement has been made and why positions in need of cover/strengthening are not being made – the fans deserve to know the truth (although that is clearly a slippery subject at St James Park these days).

Continually having excuses of being away in America, problems in the background to deal with, being at the mercy of “big clubs” coming in for players – (and the always good (until the day comes) not 31st August yet, just wait and see where we are then – we have known the positions that need strengthening for months if not years – wasnt there a “target list” we were working from?????) – this all points, at least to me, of someone who has absolutely no control or say in incoming or outgoing players – do we want a manager like that?

If you support that then you are supporting the clubs lack of ambition policy since there will be noone between MA/DL and the actual team that Pardew can put out on a matchday. If the manager has no control or say then he can only choose between the players that MA/DL gives him/leaves him with.

• dave 1961

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I’m going to put my neck on the block lads, I have to admit I’m not to bothered about Ashley, as I think all our problems stem from Llambias I hate the bloke & I long for the day when I come on this blog and read “Llambias found dead in gay club toilets” I hate the slime ball and would love the job of putting his severed head on a spike on the Tyne bridge, bobby used to like Ashley so I will leave his head on for that reason, you lads will know if I am ever given a few weeks to live, when you see the chronicles headline Llambias’s stolen head found on the Tyne Bridge, and thief seen being chased by 1000’s of Gateshead lads for sticking it on their side.

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:22 PM

@ ToonMobile

I think the problem is that Ashley controls transfers in and out the club and no manager has any power to override that. Pardew basically comes across as impotent because Ashley has him by the short and curlies. I am by no means 100% convinced by Pardew but I feel his latest press statements were very well put and about the best possible thing he could say given the current circumstances. If Pardew went and we got another mananger in it would be the same problem- Ashley would control the transfers, so really what can he do but manange the team as best he can?

• lesh

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Rowan M… there’s no doubt that Ashley has the say so, the sign off on major spend amd outgoings but before he makes any decision, one would expect he’s need a case or proposal to be justified and supported by a cost/ benefit analysis. The strength of any arguments rest in their presentation and if Llambias is presenting the case, then Pardew’s kippered!

Llambias’ heart’s not in the club and his head’s focused solely on the finances and meeting MA’s break-eaven target by 2015!

• lesh

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM

* eaven = even, even

• Rowan Milsted

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:04 PM

lesh

Right, so we agree that Pardew almost certainly has no say on transfers, which is madness really but as I said before, he’s not the only manager in this situation. I remember comments from KK and Hughton over transfers that basically said players were being transferred in and out without their say, so this seems very likely. In which case, replacing Llambias with someone more in tune with the world of football would surely be a good thing. However, this whole policy of breaking even by 2015, getting the club out of debt and running it as an efficienmt business- surely that’s a good thing. Obviously it can’t come at the cost of a small squad, selling all our best players and plunging the team down the table. There has to be a balance. But I for one respect the decision to ensure NUFC doesn’t end up in fanacial woe like so many other teams. The most annoying part is the broken promises, ie the Carroll transfer money. That’s what really gets to me.

• Davies

Aug 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Sindrith – I did know that, but what about the three seasons before?

Dave 1961 – Kind of agree that a lot of the decisions are being taken by Llambias, but we’ll never really know. It’s Ashley’s money afterall, and he could have (should have) fired him long ago.

• RobertLeeNo.7

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I think Pardew will watch over what Carr finds then takes the requests. Its then down to Lambias and Ash if they agree with the value n what not. Spurs work the same only there chairman cares about football and knows a bit too