Newcastle After Dutch International Left-Back

Alan Pardew is reported to have made a check  today on Dutch international left-back Erik Pieters.

Erik Pieters – Pardew watched him play today

If the news of the last day or two is to be believed, then Spanish left-back Enrique is expected to join Andy Carroll at Liverpool, in a £5.5M deal, as Liverpool are building a new team under new manager Kenny Dalglish.

And Alan Pardew was at the game at AZ Alkmaar today, to watch Pieters play, in their 3-1 defeat of PSV.

Pieters fits the profile of players Newcastle are looking for,  and at 22-years-old the PSV player has already 10 caps for the Dutch team and has played over 75 times for PSV.

Peiters sustained a knee injury in pre-season and the Newcastle manager was apparently checking on his fitness, and Pieters was used as a sub in the second half of the game today.

Newcastle were reportedly  interested in the full back earlier this year,  as a potential replacement if Jose Enrique ever moved away from Newcastle, which now seems likely  to happen.

While Pieters has already played in the Champions League, PSV only finished in 3rd place in the Eredivise last season, and did not qualify for the league this season, with Ajax and FC Twente being the two Dutch representatives.

The player stands 6’1″ tall and previously played for Utrecht, and he joined PSV in 2008, and  has a contract though 2014 with the Dutch side.

It could well be that Enrique will move to Liverpool as early as this week,  and Newcastle will need to bring in a replacement quickly.

Enrique will join other former top Newcastle top players Andy Carroll and former captain Kevin Nolan, who elected to leave Newcastle this year,

• Andy

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM

10 holland caps at 22 is impressive. I’ve no idea who he is though so have no idea whether this would be a good move or not for us. Ola tovoinen is also mentioned in the article. He’s a really good player. Would love to see us sign him

• Pards28

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Get him in he is surely better than Wayne Bridge.

• archaeomag

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:43 PM

. . surely cheaper than Wayne Bridge

• Robby Bobson

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Never seem him play but the report in daily mail says he was also checking out toivenan who ive seen quite abit of….and ill tell you what he is one cracking player.

Skillfull and very intelligent in his movement and got a good strike on him. Hope its true and not just daily mail making it up.

• v FrA NuFc 8

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Be a decent signing, only seen the lad play once for Holland and was very solid at the back and good going forward!

• Pards28

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Its not called the Daily Fail for nothing.

• Andy

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Pards28 true. But if we got tovoinen in it’d be a v good signing. Please fatty! PLEASE!

• MacToon

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM

A winger in and maybe a replacement LB, a good start but need atleast a (starting) striker and CB cover.

• ToonAndy

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Damn!! Got my hopes up thinking he was scouting Sulejmani at the Ajax game 🙁

• Robin_S

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Sign him up he’s quality and finally be rid of Jose, sick of hearing his name

• archaeomag

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I think he’s in the squad for the friendly against England on Wed

• Robby Bobson

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Hasnt sulejmani been unfit and stropping for a couple of years now?

• Pards28

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Why are we looking at a tall forward to play with Ba. The fat man has to realise that Shane Long is the best option.

• soundoid

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM

5million for Enrique.. sounds a bit cheap to me. If this happens i think Ashley will sell up.

• v FrA NuFc 8

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM

@Pards28 – There is plenty of strikers around the world we don’t have to get shane long

• Tom_Toon

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Any of the older users remember me championing Toivonen when he was still at Malmo way before he went to PSV. Just thought I’d drop that in there. He definitely turned into the player I thought he would be.

As for Pieters haven’t really seen too much of him but he must be doing something right. Though I did watch him v Benfica is the UEFA Cup last season and he was awful but so were the whole PSV team to be hopnest.

• free giveaways

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:02 AM

No to Shane Long please. He’s had one good season in the championship and that makes him a £7m player? We could get much better strikers from abroad for that money.

Haven’t seen this guy play, still not quite sure why we stopped pursuing M’Bengue.

• Andy

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM

How much do you think tovoinen would cost tom?

• Pards28

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM

The main reason I want Long is not beause of his one good season it is because I am sick of all the forwards we have brought in from abroad such as Luque and Xisco. Long will not need time to adapt and he will care about the club as it will be a massive chance for him. So unlike Xisco he will look forward to match day as much as pay day.

• Robby Bobson

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Pards28…i agree. What you get with long is someone whos decent all round (dribbling, finishing, heading, pace) and has the potential of becoming a great player.

But he does have a hell of a work rate as well so there is potential for him to become a top top player.

Although many wont see it as very glamorous.

Cus lets be honest cant see the likes of toivenon coming.

• v FrA NuFc 8

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Pards28 – I agree with ya in regards to players like Xisco, Luque etc being brought in but tbo I really think Graham Carr is doing a brilliant job at bringing in cracker players so if Long was so good I’m sure he would have mentioned him already to bring in? I don’t want him imo I’ve watched him so many times, yes he does put in a work load but I don’t think he is a PL player (just my opinion)

• Rossy G

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Interestingly Jeremain Lens also played in this match another player strongly linked earlier in the summer, and while I rate Ola, Lens represents the mould we are looking for more with his pace and tireless running particularly his use in the channels, which will allow Ben Arfa more space to make late runs into the box. PSV are experiencing money problems at the moment having sold Dzsudzsák already. On another note I heard our main LB target was Izaguirre, considering he broke his ankle we certainly need to look at other possibilities. Taking the mentioned players into account, I doubt we have (or are willing to pay) the money to bring any of them in.

• branunited

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Alan Pardew traveled to Holland to watch Erik Pieters, which would be a possible substitute Jose Enrique and Ola Toivonen.

before the end of the season, I mentioned that Toivonen and Erik Pieters, would be very good firms, there are 4 other players that I like very much.

Siem de Jong
    Luuk de Jong
    Nacer Chadli
    Crhistian Erikssen.

• branunited

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM

@andy

Ola Toivonen costs around 8 million, but only takes away a one year contract, so you could get more cheaper.

• We are the mags

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:50 AM

I say buy him he seems to fit the mould,but for god sake STRIKERS FFS, and i think shane would be a good buy what do you lads think.

• roshan MAGPIE

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:17 AM

well Tiote was from dutch league if carr was the guy who found him then in carr i trust

• shamsoftabriz

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:11 AM

5.5M is about 2 or 3 million under what Enrique is worth in transfer money. To put it another way, Andy Carroll is worth more than SIX Jose Enriques. Nevertheless, if we have to lose Enrique, I like Pieters MUCH better than Bridge. Better, younger, cheaper, etc.

• NOVA2967

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Enrique is class. Really hope he stays. Him and Barton are both class.
    My question is Cabeye is going to want speed on the right which Barton doesnt really give. We have some wingers now who want to play. I still think Barton starts on the right but we may have to choose to play either Cabeye or Barton in cm during a big part of the season, so who gets the nod?

Or is it more like this with Barton moving wide when Obertan or Arfa move into the striker position

—————Ba——–<<<<>>>^^
    ————-Tiote

• NOVA2967

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:22 AM

that didnt turn out well

• Solaidback

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM

According to the Guardian, the club haven’t received any firm offers yet for Enrique, so how is that everyone, including Ed seems to thing that Ashley would sell Jose for less than he brought him for some 4 yrs ago??

This £5.5m sale is speculation at best, yes I know he’s only got a year left on his contract but I don’t see Ashley letting Jose go for anything like that value, especially with other bigger clubs sniffing around imo…

As for Yohan Cabaye, he seems like the real deal, even if the weather didn’t give us a break so that hecould show us all what he’s about.. I’m getting a little excited about this season now, especially if we get Pieters & possible Pav, tho I’m not sure Ashley will allow Pardew to spend big on a player without any resale value… we’ll just have to wait & see now won’t we.. 🙂

• bills-son

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM

We need another out and out striker as cover because I don’t see Pardew playing 442 so only one of Ba or a new striker are going to play.

What many are forgetting is that HBA and Obertan can both play behind a striker in a 4411.

I think Obertan could be the steal of the season. Those who have said he is sh%te are a million miles away. The guy has as much skill as HBA and even more pace. He asked for a transfer because he was already behind Nani and Valencia and then Man U signed Young as well. Obertan just needs to believe in his ability and he could be sensational for us.

• criticalsteve73

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Why no to shane long he had great season last year.scored more than Andy Carroll and is available at 1/5 of the price 7 million not a lot 4 international striker

• BillBurch

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Why does NUFC attract so many disloyal players? Some come here virtually unknown then if they play well and get noticed thay slag the club off! I’m sure all the players want CL football but it takes time to build a team that good. Enrique now seems to think he’s CL quality when he can’t even get into the National team: I’m sick of hearing him whinge! As for that turncoat Judas Carroll, it wasn’t CL football in his case but pure unadulterated greed! He was happy with the contract he’d signed until the silly-money bids started coming in, then his “love” for NUFC went out of the window! For the first time in my life I hope for a Sunderland win next week!

• ichrisho

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Obertan, Pieters and Ola would be some good business in one week… I think that we will have an excellent side if we get these in with only losing Enrique for it… Things could be looking up… and if we think we have had a poor pre-season well what about Arsenal – they have had to contend with signing no-one bar Gervinho and constantly under the press with Fabregas… not the best pre-season either…

• ichrisho

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Also: Arsene Wenger could be missing nine first-team players for Saturday’s Premier League opener at Newcastle!!! SSN reports

• CLOIN

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Billburch

Go and have a medical check up son your brain is obviously scrambled

• BillBurch

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM

CLOIN explain please

• ichrisho

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:53 AM

@BillBurch – How can you come on here and hope for a Sunderland WIN!!!!

• Felipe

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM

@BillBurch: I hope for a 0-0 draw and 22 serious injuries 🙂

• BillBurch

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I’ve just realised that I said next week which would be OUR game with SAFC (Sunderland Amateur Football Club). I meant, of course a Sunderland win against Liverpool.