The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Demba Ba Already Feels He’s A Part of Newcastle

1:26 am, Thursday, August 11th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

Demba Ba has fitted in very well at Newcastle, since he arrived in mid-June, and the lad has given a good interview today.

Demba Ba – looks greta in black and white stripes

Newcastle fans will be hoping that Ba can get among the goals this coming season, starting with Arsenal on Saturday evening.

And it appears that Demba Ba’s dodgy knee has stood up well to both training and the pre-season games, and we have to hope that continues through the coming three seasons he will be on Tyneside.

He certainly looked the part at West Ham earlier this year when he hit 7 goals in 13 appearances for the Hammers.

And in 116 first team appearances Ba has made in his career so far,  he has scored an impressive 47 goals, which is  a very good record, and one we hope continues at Newcastle.

Ba is looking forward to the new season,  and he thinks he can form a good partnership with big local lad Shola Ameobi, who signed a new contract extension yesterday, that will keep him at Newcastle until 2014.

This is what Ba said today:

“I think me and Shola Ameobi can play together absolutely fine,”  “I know people say that we’re similar but that’s probably because we’re only similar in size.”

“Our games are totally different – Shola likes to play with his back to goal, he’s strong and terrific in the air. I’m more like playing to feet, get the ball in areas just behind the front two.”

“The combination is absolutely fine and I think we compliment what each other does.”  “I could definitely work with Shola Ameobi, but I would work with any number of the strikers that we’ve got.”

“I would be happy to form a partnership with any player in the squad.”

How’s that for diplomacy from the big man, and he could well be a huge hit with Newcastle fans next season.

Ba signed a three year deal initially at St James’ Park, but that could be extended if his knee holds up,  and he hits the goals on Tyneside.

It seems the Senegal International 6’2″ striker has settled in very well at the club:

“I feel like I am part of the club now – part of the squad. I find the North East a very good place.”

“I haven’t been out in the region very much because we’ve been in pre-season but everyone is very welcoming and wants to talk to me about football when I do go out.”

“I know everyone is warning me about the cold in the winter – I don’t care because I lived in Hoffenheim, it was freezing there! (note – it’s like Florida compared to Newcastle)”

“I still have to get to know some of the players because we haven’t played that much together – that is because of the tour or other reasons or whatever.”

“But we just have to use training to do that and I’m sure we’ll all be absolutely fine by the time we start the season.”

“We’ve been watching videos and the manager has sat us down and talked us through how the team plays so I know how the team goes about doing it’s business.”

“I think we’re ready for the first game,” “I played the full game at Leeds – it was the second time that I’d played the whole 90 minutes. Now I just need to keep on working hard and I’m absolutely sure I’ll be fine.”

It does seem that Alan Pardew is very thorough  in his preparation for games, and Newcastle have a more than decent chance of  getting their season off, with a win against Arsenal on Saturday evening, although it will not be easy.

A win and a Demba Ba first goals(s) for Newcastle, is just what the Doctor ordered.

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 t00ntime // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:31 AM

whoever said Inman is always out and shit is wrong…
    not starting a fight but, he does some normal teenage stuff but when I talked to him he was very down to earth and knows that he can make it quite big if he sticks too it…
    so it looks to me like Inman is never going to be as much trouble as barton or ranger…
    but maybe after football he goes crazy but by then hopefully he has already been our legend :P that goes for airey too :P

• 2 boater // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Ba – Ba – Ba – Ba, Demba Ba,
    Ba – Ba – Ba – Ba, Demba Ba,
    Oh demba Ba, from africaaa (originally – although now a naturalized French citizen)
    Demba Ba – you got me heading an’ a shooting,
    mugging an a looting Demba Ba…

yees can have that..

• 3 Thump // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

FIRST!

• 4 t00ntime // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

wow thump… really wow -_-

• 5 Thump // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Sorry, misspelled third*

• 6 Thump // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Oh come on toontime – the keys are right next to each other. It’s such a simple mistake to make!

• 7 wsquare // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

ba and derdiyok

• 8 a.barry // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Hope he stays injury free and has a great season starting saturday!

• 9 VuckicForSlovenia // Aug 11, 2011 at 1:44 AM

@ 2

Ba was born in france, you idiot

• 10 t00ntime // Aug 11, 2011 at 2:04 AM

haha sure thump :P
    well I’m off to bed hope some more good news in the morning like pieters coming in or atleast fee accepted
    or maybe a fee accepted for a striker ;-)
    though this article makes me think no new striker will come in. Ba keeps saying he plays well with shola and shola signed a new contract meaning this will prob be a new partnership…
    so pardew will prob test them against our first 2/3 games and I bet they will do really well until setember 1st :(
    anyway HWTL

• 11 ginkoh // Aug 11, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Hopefully we can start well against Arsenal in our home.

• 12 Jamie McKellar // Aug 11, 2011 at 2:26 AM

yeah Derdiyok and Ba, we will torture that league

• 13 niffnoff // Aug 11, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Here’s hoping :)

• 14 DarloGeordie // Aug 11, 2011 at 2:56 AM

If he scores a hatrick against Arsenal then give him the no.9 ;)

• 15 nhtoon // Aug 11, 2011 at 3:34 AM

first time writing here, been a toon fan whole life, following the blog from the last year, really hope thizz time around we do better then last year.
    Heard us interested in a leveskuren player here izz the link and really hope phil airey can be the new number 9 and looking forward seeing nufc playing the gunners.
    my starting line up woulde be
    …………………..krul……………….
    gosling……..collo……….saylor………jose enrique
    …………………………tiote……………..
    jonas………………cabaye……………..marveaux
    ………………….ba…………….shola………..
    sub
    forster
    williamson
    barton(if stays)
    best
    simpson
    raylor
    ranger

and here izz the link of the leveskuren striker

• 16 mattymagpie20 // Aug 11, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Just want you to know i met bednar tonight in a club in Glasgow and he said that we have approached arsenal

• 17 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM

For the last player coming in this transfer window, I would like to be LB erik pieters, rather than a striker. I don’t think we need another striker, because our midfield creativity is getting much better, they can create and score goals better than last year. Better if we forget about getting new striker, LB is what i’m worried most. In attack we still have great youngsters like Vuckic and Sammy, could be the next rooney. I think Ashley will sell them when they are 28 or more, if Ashley still around that is.

• 18 ToonZiga // Aug 11, 2011 at 7:12 AM

daily mail reports we are interested in eren derdiyok, it could be great partnership: Ba-Derdiyok, europe here we come :D

• 19 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 7:59 AM

These are our strikers (also can play as strikers) now:
    Ba

Williamson
    STaylor
    Rtaylor
    Simpson
    Tav
    Ferguson

let me know if I missed someone, looks like we are really thin on def not attack.

• 20 Dannyo // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM

It seems like Demba Ba is absolutely fine, absolutely fine…

• 21 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM

not to mention xisco & smith, which mean we have more strikers than defenders

• 22 Brutooon // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Hope Demba Ba is injury free for the next two seasons and kept AMEOBI where he belong BEST – THE BENCH !

• 23 JGreaves // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Looks like Jose’s gone.. maybe Barton too.

Need a left back in, maybe 2, 1 for cover

And i still think we need a striker, Bendtner reports getting hot now could be something in that. But then again we’re only playing with one striker this season apparently and is Ba going to be a bench warmer?

• 24 Chaz // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM

The waiting is nearly over.

Ba will score us goals as will Shola. The questions are will they come frequently enough and at the right time?

Off topic – Will we do the sensible thing and bring Enrique’s replacement in BEFORE we let him run off to ‘the bin dippers’?

OK – I hear you!

:-)

• 25 Dannyo // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:55 AM

If Enrique is gone, i think it won’t take more than 24 hours to bring Pieters in.

• 26 cyprus // Aug 11, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Not a good pairing… Shola scores once every 5 games (including pens!) and that can only get worse with injuries-age. He’s been given many more chances than quite a few others (quick e.g.s Ranger, Xisco etc.) and, unfortunately, the record is there for everyone to see. The only explanation I have is, either he’s a really nice guy, or he’s incredible in training. Conclusion: We REALLY do need a proven (i.e. minimum 10-15 goal CF), now, or we’ll have many goalless draws next season.

• 27 ichrisho // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:10 AM

The Pieters deal is done – I think they are just waiting for news to break of Enrique going… I think the Obertan move has got Barton out the door… He knows its over.

• 28 ichrisho // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:14 AM

The Swiss Striker we are after in Leverkusen is very good – never heard of him before – He scored for Switzerland too yesterday. Seems to could have him in for £8-9m. Also its amazing to me that Sturridge is going to be happy to sit on the bench… Odd – What a number 9 he would be…

• 29 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:15 AM

@cyprus
    we don’t have Cabaye, HBA & Marv who can deliver great passes.
    Cabaye can pick Taylor 3 times in a row in set pieces, maybe now he can pick out Shola. Maybe Shola is not great goal scorer, but he bring something else to the club that’s why he was the captain against Leeds which pissed Barton off heheheh.

• 30 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:18 AM

just got a news that Enrique has complete 5.5m pounds with Liverpool.

• 31 ichrisho // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Adios Jose… No Jonas down the left for you to cover your manic runs.. Sure the nightlife will suit you in Liverpoo..

• 32 s_mav // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Looks like Enrique and Barton may be away, if we can get replacements in for both of those and a striker who’ll add a bit of pace then I think we can be reasonably confident of a top ten finish.
    Pieters for Enrique? Barnetta for Barton? If Barnetta is still injured by the end of the transfer window then I’m not sure who would be Barton’s replacement, any ideas?
    As for a striker I’d love to see Lens, fits the bill perfectly. I’m not sure whether he’d want to come though or be in our price range, what do people reckon? What about possible alternatives, not impressed with the idea of Derdiyok like.

• 33 sweendog // Aug 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

If reports are true about derdiyok this is very good news.. prefer him to Nicolas Barndoor .. although Nicolas is unfortunately one of our best alternatives ..

• 34 redondo77 // Aug 11, 2011 at 10:12 AM

can’t wait for the game against liverpool, with Jonas or Obertan playing on the right vs jose, and Captain Colo vs carrol. If we lose I might smashed my TV

• 35 ichrisho // Aug 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM

@ 34 I’ll bet Dogsleash wont play Carroll Vs us…

• 36 pardew no 1 // Aug 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

what number is obertoon

• 37 Rich TOON Bristol // Aug 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM

• 38 richard // Aug 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

morning lads and lasses, reports that pieters can play crnter back as well so does pardew fancy 3 at the back, and do we still need cover there. and obviously a striker

• 39 RobertLeeNo.7 // Aug 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM

sorry to break it to you all but turns out pieters is not for sale. bungling board balls up again

previous post: Top Teenager Vuckic Always Wanted To Come To Newcastle