Pardew Admits He Genuinely Like Joey Barton

Even though there has been big trouble from Joey Barton this summer, you get the feeling that Alan Pardew really likes the Liverpudlian, who is of course quite a character.

Joey Barton – I’m available Alan – come on – give me a hug!

And we think the above photo shows just what influence Joey has on the Newcastle side, because the lad is such a strong and vocal character.

And that can be for good or bad, and to be fair  it’s been very good over the last couple of years when Joey, to his credit,  seemed to genuinely want to put his career and life back together.

But he seems to have fallen off the wagon a little over the summer, and his Twitter account has not helped him at all – in fact it’s been his undoing.

It appears that Alan Pardew may start Joey today against Arsenal,  and it seems there will be some very good players who will not make the team today, and that’s got to be a very good sign for the strength of the squad.

Pardew will make a decision on whether Joey Barton plays or not tonight, just a few hours before the kick off is what we are being told today, but the news yesterday was that he would start him.

Alan held one more one-on-one talks with the player before he trained yesterday morning, and the inside news was that Alan will now start Joey tonight.

This is what Alan said yesterday after meeting again with Joey:

“I genuinely like Joey.”  “This twitter business, I look at the stuff he puts on there and sometimes makes me laugh sometimes I thinks he makes a big mistake, and I’ve expressed that to him.”

“I think it’s very dangerous for footballers to be on there.”  “Because you are in breach of your contract if you say anything in any shape or form about the club.”

If only Joey would quit using Twitter,  that would be a huge step forward,  but being able to tweet things at a moments notice is a big  Achilles heel for a combustible personality like Joey Barton. That’s the problem at the moment.

And the Evening Chronicle is indicating that you can watch the Pardew interview in full on ESPN’s live and exclusive coverage of Newcastle and Arsenal today in the UK from 4:45 pm, and we’re not sure if fans around the world can see it from the ESPN site after that time.

• thebionicMAG

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

How much longer is this crap going to drag on for?

• Thump

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM

@bionicMAG: Well it’s a half five kick off if that helps?

• Spuggy

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Barton is a crucial player for us this season as the new lads settle. It’s just such a shame about his mouth, which gets him into trouble. There’s clearly history with the owners.

I just wish he would either move on or we offer him a contract I don’t like the fact that he’s here now but will go next summer – too limbo for me, you need established players who are settled.

Pieters in and a top class striker (although I’ve no idea who) and thing start looking a lot better. Liverpool have done it to us twice now with jose going.

I still believe we need more cover across the back four, and particularly at LB – surely there is a young up coming defender who can provide decent cover in that position?

Can’t wait for 5:30!!!!! Been a long summer……HWTL!!!

• hainesy

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Seen this link?
    Sky Sports reporting it makes it slightly more credible for me even though the Daily Mail probably made up those quotes.

• DarloGeordie

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Give him a contract please…

I bet he has a blinder today, or at least i hope so.

Haway Joey

HWTL

• IH8_S4FC

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM

• archaeomag

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Rock on Joey

• boater

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

If you look at the depth of field in the above photo – barton is not hugging Pardew but is standing behind him

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

News is dat abeid might make is debut for newcastle.

• dmac

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Haha agree with boater, he is clearly showing someone i think possibly Simpson with hair ? something and Pardew is walking past. It is however worth a chuckle.

• dmac

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I wonder if Bendtner is going to watch his old team play his new team?

• LGFUAD21

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Shine on you crazy diamond. I would have personally given him a contract and captaincy

• barkel

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

how would anyone feel is Jose and AC destroy the mackems today?

• SuperShearer

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

@boater, good call mate. Spot on. The depth of field is perceptive on this one, that’s why Pardew’s in focus and Joey ain’t.

• Greg B

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Krul
    Simson … S. Taylor … Coloccini … Jonas
    Obertan … Barton … Tiote …. Cabaye … Marveaux
    Ba

Whats team for today?

• Thump

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM

@Boater/SuperShearer: You’re both wrong. This is Pardew walking away from a hug.

• roblee7

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Anyone seen this, Hitler listening to Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4??? Its first time I’ve seen it, hilarious!

• Thump

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

@Greg: That’s what I’d like to see but it’s more likely to be:

Harps
    Simpson, Saylor, Colo, Raylor
    Barton, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas
    Shola, Ba

• roblee7

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM

That one’s the best, being informed of andy carrolls transfer request…haha…on a serious note, Downfall is one of the best war movies I’ve ever seen!!!

• Thump

Krul
    Simmo Colo Willo Saylor
    Obertan Barton Tiote Cabaye Marveaux/Jonas
    Ba

• Thump

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM

@roblee7: (bloody hell I need to stop talking) Downfall is a great movie but I cringe at these now. It was funny 2 years ago, time to let it drop.

• boater

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I agree with Guardian’s toon line up, both my pick and realistically pardew’s n’all-

Krul
    simmo/taylor/colo/guti
    barton/tiote/cabaye/marveaux
    shola/ba

I know he said marveaux is rusty, but have a hunch he could start.. we’ll see.

TOON TOON – BLACK AND WHITE ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GAN URN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• arcarius

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:58 PM

MsiDouglas
    Pieters deal hits a snag… Agent drama again, I’m afraid. #nufc journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle…

• roshan MAGPIE

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

cant wait for the match

• Bucks mag

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Howay the lads! Can’t wait for the start of the season!

• JAMSHA

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Predection on espn scorecast is pardew to b 1st to leav da club

• Tom_Toon

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

What bets have people got on today?

I have:

Newcastle Win (10/3)
    Obertan anytime scorer (11/2)
    Newcastle 3-1 (25/1)

• roblee7

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Thump – soz man, its first time I’d seen them! I was actually seeing if I could fine an interview with Mike Ashley on Youtube but it seems he’s never actually gave an interview before? Thought there might have been at least one but nothing whatsoever. Was curious to here the man speak.

Anyway, I’m goin for 3-0 Newcastle today….call me naive but just have that feeling in me guts!

• geoff777

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Liverpool win for me. Anyone but Carroll & Enrique to score.

With a massive brawl at the end resulting in 22 red cards.

• Thump

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

@roblee7: lol not blaming you for finding it funny mate, just giving my opinion!

• boater

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM

@Thump – Perspective frame 101 mate ..SuperShearer is right.. Barton is out of focus,, a hug would be on the same depth of field..
    anyways as long as they’re on the same wavelength today…

• roblee7

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Anyone heard anything yet on team news for today? Barton starting? Left back???

• jimmymagpie

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Pardew told the local media yesterday that Marveaux wasn.t fit enough to start, unless of course it was more Pardew lies. Ben Arfa not back until back end of September at the earliest, a hell of a long time for a twisted ankle, and the club medic had to travel to London to meet him and guage his progress. Plenty of flights to Ncle from Paris, am I the only one who is beginning to think his heart isn’t in it? When I was playing, they used to say that you are injured for as long as you want to be – depends how commited you are.

• Mo Drysdale

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

===================Krul==================

=========Saylor=====Willo======Colo========

Gosling=============Tiote==============Jonas

=======Obertan=====Cabaye=====Barton=======

===================Ba===================

• toonfan76

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Don’t know if i’m being naive or not but i’ve got a good feeling about this game, just hope i’m right. I would be happy for Liverfool and the Scum to get a goaless draw today with both teams playing rubbish football and see them start the season in the bottom half of the table.

• toonfan76

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

@jimmymagpie
    Ben Arfa has had two impact injuries and i’m sure the latest one caused some ligament damage, I hardly think his heart isn’t in it.

• geoff777

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Looked like they were getting ready to tickle each others tonsils … but I think you’re right Boater. Still they all look happy.

• dave 1961

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Geoff how about a mass brawl at kick off with a 10 point deduction for each team.

• geoff777

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:15 PM

on HBA.

They need to keep him in Newcastle so he’s at the training ground getting treatment.

Running back to France every time he gets a knock is crazy.