Pardew Concentrating On Building Team – Not About Being Fired

Alan Pardew  has  been backed down in the betting to be sacked,  from 10-1 to 3-1.

Alan Pardew – too busy building a new Newcastle side

And that’s probably because Newcastle have lost Jose Enrique and Kevin Nolan this summer, both of whom are experienced players in the Premier League.

But Alan is not worried what the bookies think (good for him),  and is simply concentrating on getting a good team together on Tyneside, and a decent point against Arsenal at St. James’ Park on Saturday was a solid start to the season.

Alan commented on his shortened odds:

“That is very much due to the nature of the players who have gone out the building.”

“There are people who think we will struggle and one or two pundits are predicting we will be relegated and I can see the logic in that because it is a new team.”

“The proof is going to be in 38 games time.”  “I accepted the job in terms of the financial structure that they wanted to put in place. I can’t bleat and moan about it.”

“What I do have in my armory is experience. There was a period in my career where I lost some energy because I was disappointed with what had happened to me.”

“But that is back. My appetite is very strong.” “In periods of adversity is probably when I am at my strongest. This week and last week I have been very much resilient to the media and everything that has gone on.”

“And I feel that I have a fan base and a club that if I do it right over the next two or three years we can perhaps challenge the top group.”

“But we need to understand that there are financial restrictions that are going to harm us from time to time.”

If  you look at the players who have left,  you also have to look at which players have been brought in,  and so far Newcastle have acquired five very good French-born players in Marveaux, Ba, Cabaye, Obertan and young Abeid.

While it will take a little time for them to acclimatize to the top English Premier League,  the lads nevertheless made a good start on Saturday, and certainly Cabaye and Obertan both looked very good in the second half..

But Newcastle must also bring in a top striker, and that was apparent today, as Newcastle did not look at all dangerous up front until half way through the second half.

And a top left back is also required before September, now that Enrique has left, and we are assured by both Alan Pardew and Managing Director Derek Llambias that will happen.

We shall see, but there’s no reason for doom and gloom at Newcastle, especially after we take Sunderland apart next Saturday.

• ToonAndy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I said from the start if we play 4-4-2 then we wont get a result… Watching the players today I reckon this should
    be the team against the mackems baring in mind the likely signing…

——————————-KRUL—————————–

SIMPSON——SAYLOR——–COLLO——-PIETERS

——————–CABAYE—–TIOTE———————-

BARTON—————-OBERTAN—————-JONAS

—————————–AMEOBI (cringe)—————–

Also, Gosling MUST get playing time…. I’d also like to see Marveaux and Vuckic get 10-20 mins

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Jesus christ! Just finished reading the last article and commented and there is already a new one haha.

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Pardew appears to have come out of his shell in the last week or so.

My respect for him has gone up ten fold after seeing the interview with him on Match of the Day.

• AMEOBI

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Same Andy haha, go on Edd!!

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:10 AM

ToonAndy

For the first time in 2 years we can actually have debates about team selection. Last year there was no room for discussion what so ever haha.

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM

would rather obertan on the wing and 3 man cm. Do to mackems what arsenal did to us first half. Shola will be up for it meaning wes brown will be in for a harder game than carroll gave him today!

• Kris

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Think this is the team we should go for against the mackems: 442
    Krul Simpson S.Taylor Coloccini Raylor/Pieters? Obertan Barton Tiote Gutierrez Ameobi Ba

Subs to make an impact: Ranger(hopes he will be getting a new chance) and Gosling.

• AMEOBI

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Kris? Cabaye?!

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM

so you keep reminding us alan. still think we need 3 more players minimum and one or two deadwood players to leave. Im pleased we offered to pay 2/3 of smiths wages if leeds took him on loan, saving 20k a week is good when smith isnt going to play at all. we have like 5/6 players ahead of him now.

Just out of interest with people mentioning a 25 man sqaud, did we have more than 25 senior players last season because we’ve actually lost kuqi, nolan, jose, Campbell, Ireland and brought in cabaye, Ba, Marv and Obertan as senior players?

• Special K

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:16 AM

If we get in Erik Pieters, they’ll say thats LB sorted but I reckon we need another, Raylor can’t be the understudy.

For strikers I honestly can’t think of a realistic target, little help? If we’re stuck with Shola and Ba for the season, I worry. Ba was brutal today but I still think he’ll come good.

• Manx Magpie

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM

I too have a lot more respect for Pardew after the Match of the Day interview. He’s not taking crap from anyone anymore, backing every single player on the team, and genuinely showing a fair amount of passion for this club.

• Kris

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I did knew that some will ask about cabaye. I think We should go for Barton and Tiote in that game cause, they both know how that game will be, it will be a fight. Want Obertan at the side to make some pace and challenging Richardson. Think Cabaye just need a little time to adapt to the english style

• ronaldeano

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM

We NEED joey Barton to be here this season.
    If not…
    Were fcuked

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM

——————————-KRUL—————————–

SIMPSON——SAYLOR——–COLLO——-RAYLOR

—————BARTON—–CABAYE—–TIOTE————

OBERTAN———————————————JONAS

——————————— BA—————————–

Subs: Forster, Williamson, Ferguson, Gosling,Vuckic, Best, Marv/shola

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:20 AM

i’m glad the football is back. Puts the money questions on the backburner for the time being. A good result next week is essential. If we get beat things will be difficult for pardew and the new lads. If we win we can go on a bit of a run as the next few games are all winnable. Mackems away fulham home then qpr away

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:21 AM

New striker.
    New left back.
    New left back cover.
    Another centre back.

Would love another right back,
    Being the greedy c@nt that I am. 😉

• Felipe

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:22 AM

It’s really embarasing being a newcastke supporter reading some of the comments on here tonight.

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:23 AM

nick_9 that is the team i’d go with unless we get some new guys in. Also possibly swap shola for ba as pardew pretty much said ameobi will be starting on saturday

• ToonAndy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM

I think Kris forgot about Cabaye.. If you purposely left him out then leave the blog IMMEDIATELY! haha
    joke…

I agree ToonDownSouth … Our midfield is so strong its a shame we have to leave out some quality players!…

Marveaux
    Cabaye
    Barton
    Gosling
    Vuckic
    Ben Arfa
    Abeid
    Jonas
    Tiote
    Obertan

Shame we didn’t have that much quality in depth in other areas!

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Felipe stop being so dramatical you big queen

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM

felipe are you going to clarify you’re comments or just leave a vague remark in the direction of no one in particular? What are you’re thoughts of the game?

• shearermania

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM

im a big pardew fan and has been since 2 weeks into his reign…he constantly has to deal with the two duckheads in lamearsea and fatmike…….but i like what he says..to me he comes across very honest, hardworking and it seems the players dig him too….
    come on all join the chorus: walking in a pardew wonderland……….yeah maybe later on this season when we’d picked up the fa trophy

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Toon Andy i dont really class Arfa as a midfielder myself but i guess most would. If he was fit and firing he would be perfect in the whole. Wouldnt mind seeing vuckic there against a lesser team.

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Loads of pundits tipped us to go down last year.
    I fancy Blackburn @ qpr to go down.
    Undecided on the other team.

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM

wigan drawing at home to norwich has to be seen as a poor result for them. Still don’t think they’ve got enough to stay up. Blackburn defo in the battle but there’ll be a few odd ones in there. Always is

• boater

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM

I think Simpson was good today, we also have raylor and perch – so three specialist RBs. LB – defo. But then we all know that.

We need a goalscorer – in all honesty- two more. Cabaye needs to offer more than today – we already have a water carrier in tiote – so we need something more dynamic from him.

I have a nagging feeling Ba may end up being a bit like Best – a cluster of goals – but hard to build an attack around him. We have three 6/10ers in shola, best and loven – we need an 8 big time,

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM

ToonAndy – then we still have Guthrie and Smith on the books before you even look at some other youngsters who play in midfield. I agree, it is such a shame we dont have that much quality in other areas

• shearermania

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

funny thing is i think most fans would have been happier we’d lost but played a lot better,…funny as hell..deluded fickled fans (myself included)

• daffy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Hope that little twat Barton is playing at the SOL next week , he wont last 5 mins , bring it on , Ha,way the Lads.

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Felipe Is a wind up merchant….

• shearermania

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:31 AM

ah daffy…..welcome back…did they accept the early release charge for raping your sister?

• ToonDownSouth

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM

daffy

I bet you’re absolutely terrified, be honest.

The amount you guys have spent in two years, anywhere below Europe would be pathetic!

• nick_9

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM

shearermania // Aug 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM

———————————————-
    Aye, its surpising how much performance matters. We all say we would take winning ugly but we love entertaining games.

• BelfastMagpie87

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Loads of people tipping Swansea to go down.
    I think they will do well.
    Really good to watch as well.

• boater

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM

nick 9 – @20 ha ha

• ToonAndy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM

nick-9 … When I knew I was going to use the word “quality” I decided to leave Guthrie and Smith out haha… Guthrie can do a decent job but he couldn’t tie the boots of most of our other midefielders… I wouldn’t mind selling him to lower premier league/chamionship team tbh…

Yeah… IF our defence and strikers had the same quality as our midfield we’d be talking of champions league football!

• Andy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Welcome back daffy. Been a while! What makes you think barton would not last 5 minutes? He seems to revel in the whole pantomine villain role he is painted as sometimes. Lee Clattermole and co should be worried

• shearermania

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM

nick-9 the performance was just soo negative and the play was soo unambitious — it was like we were setout to defend from the start which i know whasnt the idea..but the lack of movement is a big concern…movement is a sign of trust….
    thank god we have a bye in the next round.

• daffy

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Nah TDS anywhere below yous would be pathetic , terrified ? Aey .

• boater

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Guthrie is one of those players I always think is on the verge of stepping up his game at any minute… but never quite does. Very talented player.. lacks the swagger – got the rest though.

1 2 3 5