Tim Krul – Harper Is Like A Teacher To Me

We had mentioned yesterday what a terrific professional Steve Harper was at Newcastle.

Tim Krul in action on Saturday

And today Tim Krul has come out and praised Steve for helping him so much, and being like a teacher to him.

It seems that Tim is now Newcastle’s number one goalkeeper, and it was great to see the Newcastle defense so stalwart on Saturday, and they were obviously well drilled for the Arsenal; game, even though once or twice they appeared a little shaky.

But it was excellent to get a clean sheet at home against the top London side, and it’s something we didn’t see enough of last season.

This is what Tim said today:

“We definitely think this is a good start. We were more than pleased with this result and happy with the result,”

“Everyone has been saying Arsenal are not the team they used to be but they are always up there and will be this season. We knew they would com out fighting.”

“We dealt with them really well. They only had one proper shot on goal. The rest our defense dealt with fantastically.”

Tim now wants to maintain a high level of consistency,  so he become the Newcastle number one goalkeeper long term, and veteran Steve Harper wasn’t even on the bench on Saturday, although we don’t know if he is fully fit yet with his knee problem.

Steve is not too happy that he seems to have lost the number one spot on Tyneside, but that hasn’t stopped the 36 year-old from supporting the 23 year-old top Dutch International:

Tim continued:

“The manager had a little word with me at the start of the week and said train well this week and we will see what happens. I think he let the others know first before he told me. He told me I was starting and said right it is now up to you to cement that shirt.”

“Hopefully this is the first stage of doing that. It is a big vote of confidence because everyone knows how good Fraser and Steve are.”  “Steve is a massive help. He is like a teacher for me as well.”

“I want to play and Steve knows that and every keeper wants to be the number one. I am thankful that I am that now. I have to cement it now.”

It remains to be seen what Newcastle do with Fraser Forster, because he’s often said if he cannot be number one at Newcastle,  he wants to play somewhere else on loan for the season.

But we don’t expect Alan Pardew to sell Fraser, since he looked very good in pre-season and can still improve.

What do you think?

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM

1st

• Eastander

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Not on topic of the article and I may get shot down in pieces for this but…

When Liverpool were winning 1-0 at the weekend, did anyone else really really want Sunderland to score! Never thought I would say that but hey ho, I’ve admitted my weekend sin

• geoff777

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Hard to keep them all happy, but that’s part of Pardew’s job.

I wish we had that strength in depth throughout the team.

• ichrisho

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Krul did well although I think Collo was immense on Saturday – he really led the line well. That is one fantastic captain we have!! A little note on Harper he is a true professional and we are lucky to have him. He should be GK coach in a few years and a great spokesman for NUFC.

• ichrisho

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM

@Eastender – Yes I did – I will admit it. Liverpool ar e fast on the hatred stakes with Sunderland especially Kenny “I am the only manager” dogsleash… 🙂 Good post.

• roshan MAGPIE

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

well we need a stricker for sure

• ronaldeano

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Eastender
    Give yourself a slap mate!

• nick_9

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I’d like to see this lad given plenty of games, I think he could be great for us with a bit more experience. Its sad for Harper but at the end of the day someone has always got your number and unfortunately for him he has always had good competition

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM

@Estander
    MAybe you don’t believe me, but I was jumping and glad when Larsson scored hahahhahaha
    I still don’t understand whay I was so happy with Sunderland scoring against Liverpool, LOL

• Eastander

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM

@9 I dont understand or know why either, but it turns out I really want Liverpool to flop! haha

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Harper should be our GK coach next, loyalty should be rewarded.

• Jawdboy

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM

@ichrisho

Echo everything you said there mate – Krul deserves to be no. 1 but Harper is such a quality professional and loyal to the club in the way he’s dealing with it. Would he have played for England is he wasn’t stuck behind Given for all those years? Possibly.

We’re very very lucky to have him both as a quality backup keeper and as a personality within the club.

Hope he’s give a gk coach role when he comes to hang up his gloves

• alip123

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM

@Redondo – because Liverpool have nicked all our best players!! They unsettled Jose and Carroll, and their manager who’s performed well used to manage Newcastle and was SH!TE!!!! and he has the audacity to complain about us to the press!

I don’t hate many teams, but except for Sunderland, I do hate Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. I used to like Arsenal because of the good football they played, but they are really dirty and on Saturday the amount of diving was unbelievable. Song should have been sent off and Barton was maybe a bit fortunate (50:50 that decision).

anyway, lets beat the SMB next week – and apparantly theyre missing Gyan – their only real striker (wickham is inexperienced atm)

• drongo

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

@eastander – If it was possible to be -1 all then I would have been going for that.

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

enemy of my enemy is my friend, but who the hell is our real enemy here? Liverpool or Sunderland? hahahahha

• nick_9

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM

I don’t think many Liverpool fans are overly impressed with 35 million Andy Carroll. Its easy to see why when they bought suarez for 22 mill. Quality player.

• KillyMansGiro

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Find Liverpool and Sunderland the same, both grotty cities with minging people. They both moan on about how much has been spent on cities close to them, rather than them. Their accents are horrible, and you find yourself wanting to leave the room. Moreso you know they will fancy your mobile or money, whilst trying to be your friend. They also all think Wranglers are the best jeans, and still in fashion. I think that fact alone makes me hate them more!

• Ollieh51

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Ha! There was a cheer in Shearer’s when Larsson’s goal went in!

Tim well worth of the number 1 jersey.

Admittedly we’ve nto seen Forster in the PL but I really don’t want to takwe a chance after that dropped catch against Leeds.

It’s a big season for us, we don’t need to start testing people please Pards!

Also, I’m AMAZED at the lack of compliments in the press for Colo and Saylor after their performances?

• gstadt

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM

NUFC bid for Madibo Maiga from Sochaux 8mill euros

• AMEOBI

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM

I have to agree, I prayed for Sunderland to score haha! For some reason I hate liverpool as much as sunderland? Well equal 😉

• Klatoon

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Modibo Maiga

• drongo

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Krul looks to have been a real find. Was it Sir Bob picked him up?
    Agree Harps should take on a coaching role. True one club man, not many of that calibre would have stuck around for so long.

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:17 AM

@Killy
    LOL

• listie

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:17 AM

@ Eastander, I was , I didn’t want them to win butcertainly didnt want Liverfool to win either

• Graeme

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Anyone would think Harper was finished by some of the comments! I think he still has a good few years in him yet and it will be quite a while before he contemplates hanging up the gloves to become a coach!!

If he isn’t getting games and Forster starts ahead of him, I would think he’ll want a move to another club. He waited a long time for the number 1 shirt and I don’t think he’s going to give it up easily!!

• WesJameson

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM

@ gstadt // Aug 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Any links mate?

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

@Graeme
    I agree with you, I didn’t mean that his career is finished yet, but nearly finished. When he retires, he should be our GK coach. But for now, I think Krul is much better than Harper, and he already made Harper as his teacher. Being made a teacher is much much more burden when Harper starts, he doesn’t want to be worse than his student.

• Davies

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Eastander – I felt siick with myself for it, but I was the same mate. I think it was seeing Andy Carroll in Red again that set me off. I had to have a shower after.

• Davies

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Also, didd anyone find it bitterly ironic that the mackems goal came from Larsson?

• Scottiedog

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Frigging hate Liverpool!!!!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Modibo Maiga – 23yr old – 6’1″
    35 Goals from 165 apperances at all levels!?

He isnt an out and out striker, he can play as a winger too!

We need a target man!

• lloydie780

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM

@22 Drongo, no would you believe it was Souness who picked him up, the guy who bought true s***e for the club

• redondo77

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

hmm… reading from article posted by “gstadt”, seems like enrique saga, but this time we play liverpool part hahahah

• ballerfan2

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Interesting. And I thought that I was alone in wishing Liverpool and Dalglish who I still hold mainly responsible for our downward spiral, all the worst. I had got to the point with Enrique that I didn’t care that he was leaving – but to Liverpool – anyone but them (or Sunderland but that was never going to happen).

I still don’t see Liverpool being successful this season and would love it , just love it if we could finish just one point ahead of them. It is just a tad awkward though that my son in law, an otherwise intelligent, mature and likeable geordie is an avid ‘pool supporter.

• Toontappy

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Got to say Collo and Saylor were brilliant saturday,there concentration levels were spot on for 90 mins,especially as we were so poor 1st half,much better 2nd though even if MOTD didn’t show that.
    When Barton came in the middle and Obertan on the wing we had much more shape just need someone up top with some quality now and genral match sharpness and i honestly think its a decent side,time will tell.
    I think everone wants Liverfool to lose,hate them with a passion.

• MadAboutToon

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

if harper can teach him his reliability krul can be a world beater and become 1 of the best, but he’s going to have a hard job keeping the number 1.

• dannyt97

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:16 AM

is harper still injured if not then were was he on sat