Alan Shearer – Pardew Has Done Very Good Job

There are tiomes when Newcastle United will not have one of their strikers in a number 9 shirt.

Alan Shearer – while manager at Newcastle over two years ago

And one reason for that is that Newcastle  will not always have  a player good enough to have earned the privilege of wearing the famous Newcastle shirt.

After Oba Martins left, Newcastle went through the relegation year without  a player wearing the number 9 shirt,  but then Andy Carroll was rightly given it but then we all know what happened to Andy.

Carroll is not doing too great at Liverpool at the moment, and was told to get fitter by the England manager Fabio Capello only yesterday.

We don’t think Oba Martins was good enough to wear the number 9 shirt either.

Alan Shearer, Malcolm McDonald and Jackie Milburn are the three greatest strikers who have worn the shirt in my lifetime, and this is what Alan said about the number 9 shirt today, and about Wednesday’s weird goings on at Newcastle:

“It’s a fantastic shirt.” “I had 10 great years wearing it, and I’d love someone to have come in and taken it and scored some goals, but it wasn’t to be for whatever reason.”

“I saw it on TV like everybody else did. There were bids going in for other players with two or three hours to go.”  “But if you looked at it logically, you realised that nobody was going to come in on deadline day that late in the day.”

“I’m a fan like 52,000 others – I was hoping for one. It’s a little bit sad no one’s in the No 9 shirt.”  “There’s two ways of looking at it. You can look at it as a great privilege and honor, and be proud to wear it.”

“On the other side some people can be scared of it, not just because of the goals I scored, but the guys before me, like your Macdonalds and Milburns.”

Newcastle have had a surprisingly good start to the season, which has probably upset the doom and gloomers, but the thing that’s really good, is the way the lads have fought back from first 45 minutes,  when they were just not in those games.

Winning three our of four games and drawing the other one is an excellent start to the season – that’s a fact.

And the lads must also have a decent enough chance to make it four wins in a row at QPR a week tonight, but of course they’ll need to keep having the luck on their side, which they’ve had in the first four  games.

Alan agrees Newcastle have made a good start to the season and he also thinks Alan Pardew has done very good job:

“They’ve had a very good start to the season results-wise, and I think if you’d have said that to them before the start, they’d have snapped your hands off. They can build on that.”

“I don’t know whether Pardew is frustrated or not – you’d have to speak to Alan – but I think he’s done a very good job up to now under difficult circumstances.”

“I hope that continues, but we all know there’s millimetres between seventh and bottom place.”  “They’re running the football club that way, and everyone has to respect that.”

“I think it might be a while before you see £15m players at Newcastle again. Whether you agree with that or not, that’s the fact.” “People were maybe looking for a marquee signing because of Andy leaving.”

“In fairness to the other guys, they’ve started well, and maybe the owner and the manager have looked at that and thought ‘that’s the way they’re going to go’.

“Only time will tell if that’s the right way or the wrong way.”

Newcastle have improved their squad in terms of skill this summer, but it’s been depleted in experience by the loss of Nolan, Enrique and Barton.

But we look to players like Coloccini, Cabaye, Tiote  and others to come through and step up to the plate for Newcastle in the next several games.

The lads have done very well up till now, and we’re not in that desperate shape for strikers, given that Leon Best can hit his form, and Demba Ba starts to produce for Newcastle.

And if the lads can win at QPR, which has to be a good possibility, things will be looking up.

Comments welcome.

• willgwent2k5

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:07 AM

1st

• Elb11

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Give Shearer the number 9 shirt back, he’ll still bang ’em in!

• barryvenison

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I wonder what all the Ashley fans on here think about everyone on the outside looking in. Journo’s and pundits have openly said Ashley won’t put money in and been proven right and some have even said that Ashley’s only ambition is to keep us in the prem while spending as little as possible. Even to them it’s plain to see. If outsiders can see it why can’t you? To accept Ashley is to accept defeat. We will not show enough ambition to keep our better players nor will we be able to attract top players. We will sell players when we get decent offers and buy the bare minimum in return.We will consistenly struggle and be left to hope that we are very lucky on the injury front year after year which we never have been. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

• liam85

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM

To me it just seems Ashley is getting as much cash as possible then he will sell the club.
    I don’t like the man but I stick by my team and always will. I personally think Pardew has done a fantastic job and with Graham Carr etc (IF) the board would splash a bit out we could have a cracking team!!

I still have faith that we should be OK this season we still have a great team.. hopefully more exciting than last years. Come on Ba, want to see you bang some goals in like last season at west ham…

• JackButler

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I don’t have an issue with us not spending big money on players as we’ve tried that so many times and it’s failed, but at the same time if you sell players for massive money then you have to reinvest, every man and his dog can see that we have weakness’s in several positions. I don’t expect marque signing’s but I expect some money to be reinvested

• DarloGeordie

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM

This is exactly why we need rid of the like of Ranger and this is why this statement make the Andy Carroll sale even sweeter, £35mil for a thug and a woman beater, the best business in the last decade by any football club anywhere in the world…

Its sad to say you just don’t get footballers like Shearer, Milburn + McDonald anymore, infact i can’t name one. Take Rooney for example pure scum but you can’t question his ability… I blame the Labour party lol 😉

• DarloGeordie

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM

likes and makes maybe my “S” isn’t working properliesssss

• barryvenison

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM

@Brettoon- Yeah but i read it in the sun. Says it all really.

• SBR1Legend

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM

It comes to something when you read NUFC fans saying they feel we have enough to survive! If match going fans are pleased to pay £600+ for the privilege to see us ‘trying’ to survive then you are a match made in heaven with Jabba. I expect with our player sales and massive fan base that we can do a little more than a ‘Wigan’ trying to survive year in year out. Their attendance is around 10k!! All i can think is some people like getting their pants pulled down and shafted every week. Ive been going to watch NUFC through thick and thin but i refuse to go back as long as Jabba continues to take the mick out the Geordie public. He’ll continue to do that as long as you lot let him. Last rant can the MINORITY stop calling fans ‘neggers’. Its you lot that are in the minority ffs. Try calling us ‘realists’…

• kev

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM

We need to get rid of the millstone and myth that is the No9 shirt, yes we have had some world class strikers but it puts too much expectation on the incumbent and also lessens the importance of the second striker, remember when Shearer was automatically given the No9? Not everyone agreed at the time.
    Also Demba is already written off as “not worthy for the No9” as he never cost us £10-15M, let’s move on.

• DarloGeordie

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:37 AM

NEGGERS

“A term used by the over 60’s to describe a fellow supporter with a different opinion”

• Stuart

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I am neither a negga or an apologist anymore, Im a football fan.

Sick to the back teeth of talking about Jabba like.

All I care about is the 11 lads on the pitch for the next 35 prem matches.

• ENNYOUEFFSEE

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Whilst I cannot stand Ashley and his regime especially Llambias I do think the team is stronger this year than last. Dissapointed in the transfer window would be an understatement and the lack of a number 9 especially since we have had 7 months to fill this position leaves a very bitter taste. That aside I think we will compete this year and when HBA comes back (as long as he can stay fit) then we will be a very good team. Cabaye is going to be the creative midfielder this club has been crying out for. Santon is an exciting prospect but needs to hit the ground running and we do have pace down both wings. Ba and Best need to prove themselves and I think we are week at the back especially with one or two injuries but that has always been the case. I for one will still support this team through thick and thin. I want Ashley out like most people but I will not stop supporting the players on the pitch giving their all for that famous shirt.

• OttersPocket

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM

barryvenison

Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Santon, we are attracting top players, why should that stop, just because we are not paying big transfer fees out does not mean good players are out of our reach.

• evildick

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM

@Stuart

agreed. bring on the weekend!

• MacToon

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM

#Revolutionnumber9 #number9shirts

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Stuart!
    Still here!

• max

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM

get a proven goalscorer machine