Gosling Gets First Start In England U21 Win

Newcastle midfielder Dan Gosling gained his third cap for the England U21 side as they beat Israel 4-1 in a friendly on Monday night.

Dan Gosling – third cap for England U21s

The 21-year-old former Plymouth and Everton player started for England at Barnsley’s Oakwell on Monday night, in front of just over 9,000 fans, and he played for 62 minutes before being replaced.

So it was a good run-out for the Newcastle midfielder, and will help to get him match-fit to play more for Newcastle.

England surprisingly went behind in the first half after Israel were dominant in the first 45 minutes, and the visitors went in front on 25 minutes with a fast break that led to a goal from Mohammad Klibat, who sent in a left foot shot beyond England goalkeeper Ben Amos and into the net.

And then just five minutes later Israel captain Nir Bitton went close with a shot that flashed just wide of the post.

But second half goals from Martyn Waghorn, Marvin Sordell, Nathan Delfouneso (penalty) and Henri Lansbury, were testament to an excellent comeback by the young England side, as they maintained the momentum from their Euro 2013 Qualifying win over Azerbaijan last Thursday night.

This was the first time Gosling has started for the England U21 side with his other two appearances being as a substitute.

Once Dan gets fully fit and match sharp, he should be pushing for a starting position in the midfield on Tyneside.

• TemuriKetsbaia

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Euro qualifiers against Israel… hmmm… where’s my map?

• mattnufc

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM

^It was a friendly.
    Got to say I wasn’t impressed by Gosling.
    Sordell looked good.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:59 PM

wynsleap & toonruz

I have no doubt that Ashley would try and get him. But if asked whether at this moment I would happily get rid of Pardew for Wenger I would genuinely say no. A bit of stability would be nice, and cheerful Pardew is just that.

Have to remember though that when Wenger leaves Arsenal, there’ll be 10001 clubs queuing up for his signature. Although giving him Barton & Nolans wages should do the trick!

• Dp_thegeordie

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Re post from earlier. Evening lads. Long time reader first time poster. I have heard from a very reliable friend that Pardew has walked tonight. Anyone know anything further?. I wouldn’t normally post this type of thing, but he’s a 55 year old man with no reason to lie!.

• naithaniel

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Sordell had a great game, scored an absolute cracker. Watford have a promising young player there.

• naithaniel

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I can’t see Pardew walking out on the team. I’d like to think he’ll stick around and give it his all for the players sake.

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Dp

I’m hoping that it’s just a case of Chinese whispers! Not a clue what will happen to our club if so. Pardew has spent the summer putting together a team to play the way he wants.

• Dp_thegeordie

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM

ToonDownSouth & naithaniel. My sentiments exactly, I really hope it’s all Chinese whispers, I’m not saying I’m Pardews biggest fan but he’s actually done very well with the limited resources afforded to him. I’m down south myself, Tunbridge Wells, so I hear things from family in Newcastle, and sadly I’ve heard it from 4 different people now. Anyway, here’s hoping it’s the usual rubbish!.

• Andy

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Pardew i can not see walking. As lets be honest where else could he go? Who else in the pl would want him. Same with Hughton nobody in the PL wanted him. Both are still unproven managers at pl level. Hughton was on his way to being proven and pardew is also on his way. It’d be a mistake if he did resign i think. Not only for this club as we’ll be in tatters again! But for him as well

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Dp

(According to someone one here early I have to add), SuperMac said it earlier on legends – he basically mentioned that it had been in a few local papers. Although the Chronicle this morning said “Pardew will not quit.”, so who knows…

• BigKirky

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:27 AM

DP, I hope that isn’t true. We need stability and I’ve warmed to Pardew and I think a lot of others have. He wants to play the right way and you don’t hear any real bad words said against him by players, which shows good man management. I think he’s handled the Barton situation well considering the explosive nature of Joey.

If we hadn’t signed ANY players then I would believe it, but we got half a dozen good players and were only really a striker short (as well as bonus CB).

I really think that if Demba Ba comes good, our season will be really good. Just gotta hope that his post- Ramadan meals give him super energy and super goals! 🙂

• Spike

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:32 AM

I would think that after Ashley got stung over the Keegan farce that any managers now have punative clauses in their contracts (i.e. they have to pay Ashley to walk away), plus non disclosure clauses (i.e they cannot sell their story to the press or make disparaging remarks about Ashley or Lamearse)

Maybe Pardew has learnt a lesson here. After all, I was going on about wishing he would shut up for the last three months. It seems like he was doing press conferences at least three or four times a day. I hope he’s not going to defend the stupid things the board seem to do any more

• MadAboutToon

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Andy, i think there’d be plenty of pl clubs after pardew, but probably not as big as ours. and imo, pardew a far better manager that hughton. hughton did a good job but i don’t think he’s up to being a manager, he just had a good squid of players. as for pardew leaving, i don’t think he will and i really hope not.

• Dp_thegeordie

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM

We’ll I’ve been placated slightly. Just read on .com that it’s not true. Betting was apparently suspended though, the bookies don’t normally get things too wrong. So I’m guessing something went on. You’ve got to think Pardew has been made to feel a bit of a tit, coming out and saying we would definitely have a no9 etc. I would imagine he’s had a bit of a heated discussion with the two blokes from the Full Monty. BigKirky, your spot on mate, I think most of us have warmed to him. He does seem to want to play decent football, with 2 pacey wingers and Cabaye pulling the strings with Cheik sitting. I think once Ben Arfa is back and we play 4-4-1-1 we won’t have too much to worry about in terms of the lack of a number 9. Besty knows where the net is, and Demba Ba scored a few in a pitiful West Ham team who created very little. I’d rather we built the team up properly over a period of time than overpaid for someone (Cisse) or spent massive amounts on wages for someone who didn’t really want to be here (Erdinc). I’m still buzzing we have Davide Santon!. Pieters in January for left back, Santon right back and we have a mean looking defence!. Never as a Newcastle fan did I think I would get to say that….

• boater

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Pardew rumours are worrying,,, that really would be a fiasco.. mediocre squad, but it’s in his image – and can’t see anyone getting more out of the is bunch…

MadAboutToon – interested how Hughton is “not up to being a manager and just had a good set of players”… I’ve heard this now a few times, I’m not even going to pick up the point it’s so ludicrous, how do these things become so twisted ?

• Sholameobi

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Is there anything conclusive that ba took part in rammadan? I haven’t seen anything with it in

• blissna

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Sordell’s turn and shoot was an absolute beast. The win, won me some money too.

• Thump

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Is this the match that was on ESPN? Caught glimpses of it in the Percy. Looked like a canny match like – end to end.

• MadAboutToon

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM

boater, hughton had these players
    harper, collo,staylor,jose,barton,jonas,carrol,nolan.
    i don’t know about you, but i rate most of these players today as i did the year we went down. the only player i didn’t was carrol, he was a nice surprise.

imo we were far to good a team to go down, and the reason we did was the bad team morale after kk left. all hughton did was steadyed the ship and put us in the right direction.

answer this, how can you go from nearly beating man u, to total free fall?

• davybtoon

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Of course pardew hasn’t walked when r u lot gonna get in your heads he wanted nolan n Barton out n yea he will b pissed as much as us at not getting a striker but he won’t he’s building a great team shame some of u idiots can’t see it

• Thump

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:30 AM

@MadAboutToon: I was actually talking about relegation today with a few lads who are on here and we all agreed that we probably deserved to go down – we played utter shite that year, regardless of who was in the squad. They didn’t perform, that simple.

That said, I agree that Hughton’s managerial abilities probably left a lot to be desired. People harped on (myself included) about how Nolan and Barton were the heart of the squad in terms of morale – so who gets the credit? Hughton or the Scousers?

You can’t have it both ways.

(Well, you can but that’s your business.)

• MadAboutToon

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Thump, yeah agree we did play shit, but it was a promising start to the season, up in till kk left.

as for in the championship, nolan did play a big part, he scored a lot but he should never have been playing behind a ST. if you remember hughton alway started with that and when it didn’t work, ( which i think only worked 1 out 10 time) he would bring on 1 or 2 more ST, which nearly always worked. so i think nolan biggest part was off the pitch, and so was barton’s, they played a part in building the team morale but imo the quality was alway there.

• GS

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM

DavybToon:

Totally agree.

Pardew would not be a manager if he let the Nolan-Smith-Barton-Harper click manage. He had to assert his authority because he would be blamed if we failed and they wouldn’t. Plus, they are all getting old so this was a good time to get rid.

We don’t have much chance of reaching the Champion’s League because sadly it is all about money now. Man U, Citeh and Chelsea are almost bankers for one of the 4 spots and Liverpool have got a lot of money as well.

Hopefully we will finish top half with a team that plays attacking football and does the double over the Mackems and QPR. Do you know that their stadium holds 18,360? That shows you more than anything else that it all about money now, although I will contradict myself slightly and say that Chelsea, Liverpool and the Manchesters have passionate fans and deserve success.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Davybtoon
    The man who watched 30 Lille games on espn!
    Who consistently told us MA would spend Carroll cash just give him till 1 sept!
    And he is calling people on here idiots!!
    And GS agrees with him!
    lords alive!
    The quality of some posters on here!

• fcuksportsdirect.com

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Davybtoon he may be putting together a canny team but as soon as we get any decent offers in theyll be out the door…. Then it starts again , buy cheap sell for profit, profit , profit…. Fkin mugs

• Burni

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Haha well done blissna!

Didnt see the match me sel but i rate wor gosling!

Angry, i swear insit next to you at the match….. 2-0 up against fulham, playing well and this guy was still raging!!!

Right

There were a lot of people on here who threw caution to the wimd and in my opinion were only missing a striker and a cb the rest of the team is so much better and yeah, ur an idiot if u cant see it!

I keep askin this but never get a response

If u were best or ba and u saw the shite that people said about u, would it do ur confidence any good? Both CAN be good enough yeah not world beaters but still good. If u have a midfield with as much potential as ours their service should be very good

Take ya blinkers off bud and take some prozac

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:32 AM

Burni
    Yet another who thinks all who have a Differing opinion to his are all idiots! And I’m blinkered!
    What a tool!
    I dint even argue with you apologists anymore as your all so mesmerised by fat mike you think he can do no wrong!
    He could podge ya boyfriend and you’d say it’s for the good of the club Ffs! He would tell you he’d give you 35m for the usage then buy himself a bore hole and undercarpet heating !!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Ps burni boy
    If best and ba allow a few comments on a blog to affect their form….are they worth their place? These boys are lifting 20-30k a week at least!!
    Oh dear! Idiots indeed!!

• Ollieh51

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Kind of agree with Angryman.

This is a forum to voice all of our opinions etc but the way people try and force them on others is a bit extreme at times.

@ Burni – In response to your question, I don’t think either of them would bother too much and must have had the odd criticism thrown at them already but even still, their goal scoring records say it all.

In some ways, they may be better off not taking/thinking about the #9 so that they can just keep getting on with it.

They both have almost as much experience as Carroll did in the PL but have better scoring records yet aren’t considered to be worthy of the #9 for whatever reason. They can’t do too much wrong from what they are now.

Well done to them both and lets just hope they stay injury free.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Someone please define a negger? (amtaf their got it in fist)
    Does being correct with all my predictions still make me a negger, or would realist be a better term perhaps?
    I was called a negger when I said gervinho, gameiro, erdinc wouldn’t sign!
    None of the Carroll money would be spent on new players, negger blah blah!
    Don’t get me wrong, I’d have been happier believe it or not if all you chubby chasers had said told you so you miserable negger tw@
    But you can’t !!
    I could say that to you though couldn’t I!
    But I’m toooooo nice!

• markmac

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:54 AM

He wipped a few decent crosses in and looked quite composed at time i thought

• Ollieh51

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM

@ Angryman – Didn’t we spend some on OberToon?

Do you reckon Gervinho looks like £10m+ worth of player from his performances?

I personally Think he has maybe been marginally better than Obertoon?

The others wanted to stay in a poorer league rather than join us, with Gameiro going for a big pay cheque.

Not interested in them if that’s the case.

The constant pursuit of Erdinc got very tedious, especially seeing as he said he wanted to fight for his place at PSG a few times – Bench warmer and bit-part player over a starting position here? Fine, enjoy yourself mate!

• ToonDownSouth

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Ollieh

We spent marginally more than we got for Routledge. Depends what sources you listen to about all the “undisclosed” fees, but end of the day we have 0 net spend.

• markmac

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:08 AM

youv’e gotta prefer obertan over routledge

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ollieh
    Not complainig !
    Just gloating at the hypocrisy of the MA fan club!

• WesJameson

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Obertan over Routledge any day, but you just watch Gervinho, that lad is class

• Ollieh51

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Yeah, some people are far too far up his jax like but the signings we have pulled off I think have all been pretty impressive bargains.

Just seems to make a bit too much out of the more obvious ones – Striker, Defensive players, letting players go without replacements…

I love the statement released saying that they are learning from their mistakes… Yeah, BOLLOX you are guys!

Only frustration I have is the incompetence around letting people go without a replacement and the lack of communication.

• Tiote

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Is every1 an idiot on here nw. That’s al I read is ur an idiot he’s an idiot iam a idiot, were all idiots?

• Burni

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:54 AM

angry @27

read ur comment @ 24 referring to davybtoon as an idiot…..

you bewilder me sometimes

also ollieh

I havent forced my opinions on anyone.

Everyone who has a different opinion to angryman on here is an idiot or a tool apparently…..

LISTEN ANGRY I DONT LIKE MIKE ASHLEY!!! BUT HIS IDEAS ARE OK AND HE IS SLOWLY MAKING THE TEAM BETTER!!!!!

Read my comments before you rage!!!

I never referred to you as an idiot

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Burni
    Im curious
    Where did I refer to Davybtoon as an idiot? Oh dear 🙁
    best read again hadnt we?

YET in comment 26, i do believ you referred to me as an idiot!!

It gets worse for you, however…i shall refrain from calling you an idiot….no need really after that post, is there ha ha ha ha.

You bring it all on yourself dont you burni silly silly silly!