The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ireland Striker Upbeat About His Big Chance At Newcastle

12:09 am, Monday, September 12th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Leon Best is one of the Newcastle strikers who will get a big chance, through at least December, to knock in the goals for the Tyneside club.

Leon Best all smiles after his brace against Fulham

With Newcastle surprisingly unsuccessful in bringing in a top striker at the club in the summer, as a replacement for the departed Andy Carroll, Leon Best and the newly arrived Demba Ba in particular, will get a big chance to show what they can do on Tyneside.

Newcastle also have the experienced Shola Ameobi and Peter Lovenkrands available, and Shola’s younger brother, 19 year-old Sammy, has looked good when he’s played for the first team this year, and he scored a fantastic winner at Scunthorpe United in the Carling Cup a few weeks ago.

Leon seems upbeat about the opportunity ahead, and he’s particularly pleased that injury worries over his ankle seem now a thing of the past:

“I have not played that many Premier League games, but it’s good for me because the games I have played I have scored in.”

“It’s a good ratio for me and I intend keeping that goals-to-games ratio the same.” “I have had no injuries, touch wood, and got some goals as well, so I am very confident.”

“You have just got to get on with it, that’s part of football. Whoever is coming to the club, they are coming to make the club better and make the team stronger.”

In 15 Premier League appearances this year Leon Best has scored 8 goals, and that’s not a bad record at all, and in his last game he scored a brace in Newcastle’s 2-1 win at home to Fulham, and both second half goals were poacher’s goals for the 24 year-old Irishman.

And it seems that Leon Best may have lost his place in the Ireland squad, with  West Brom strikers Shane Long and Simon Cox being preferred as back up strikers to Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle recently.

Leon currently has played 7 times for the Ireland side, and he remains ambitious about his International future, and of course he just needs to keep banging in those goals for Newcastle,  and he’ll soon be back in the Ireland squad – there’s no doubt about that.

Leon continued:

“If I keep scoring, even if the manager has forgotten about me, he’s going to see me in the paper when he sees it and hopefully he will remember who I am.”

“‘I don’t know why I haven’t been called up. It’s the same thing with Ireland – I have never really been given a good run, a good chance to prove that I am an international, as well as a Premier League player.”

“But it will all come. If I do well for Newcastle and continue to score and play well and prove that I am a Premier League striker, then I should be given the chance to be an international.’

“It’s a funny game because when I was in my lows at Coventry and not knowing what was happening, I got an international call-up from him from nowhere, and that gave me the confidence to strive on.”

‘Now I am at Newcastle doing well, but I am not playing international football. But I am doing well here and I am very happy with life at the minute.”

Leon is not short on confidence, and Newcastle manager Alan Pardew also has an excellent record in coaching strikers during his career, and he seems to be able to bring out the best in them.

Certainly if Leon can keep scoring goals at the ratio of one goal in every two Premier League appearances, he’ll have nothing to worry about at all, and Newcastle will also be doing well.

Newcastle have started the season very well and are currently in 6th place in the Premier League with 7 points from their first three games, and the Magpies can go as high as third place with a good win at QPR.

So we’re really hoping that Leon can keep banging  those goals in for Newcastle, starting tonight against QPR at Loftus Road.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Demba Ba · Leon Best · Newcastle News

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 t00ntime // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM

the problem with the player is he needs someone to set him straight… and so far no one has stood up to the job… yes its his fault he should grow up a bit… BUT
    some of our best players over the years have been trouble makers, but we always had a manager capable of telling them whats what, think of sir bobby and king kev.

beardsley is trying his best and if u watch reserve games he plays extremly well under peter yet he cant produce under pardew. not blaming pardew but he does need to be stricter towards nile and not just saying well i give up he doesnt have a place in our team… thats not good motivation.

Next thing is he was let off for the charge of beating the 33 year old up so innocent till proven guilty and he was not so he is innocent for that. also he hasnt even had the blood test answers yet to say he was drunk… until then dont moan.

about the late training he is only late for senior team training and is bearly ever later for ressies training.

all of this brings me to some conclusions
    1) he needs some one to take him under there wing and mature him
    2) maybe he has a problem with one of the seniors and that might be why he is late for training etc
    3) beardsley needs to point out that to become a great player like himself u have to push in the senior team

all of this means dont give up on him until this is all proven and remember lots of our favorites had troubles of the field… last season alone : barton, carrol 2 best players first half of the season

O i am ready for you critics

copied from last post

• 2 SaulToon // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Should be our undisputed starter. He might not be able to hold up the ball as well as shola or create like Ba, but he sure can find the back of the net

• 3 i Toon // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Anyone saw Bryan Ruiz playing for Fulham? thank God he snub us he was hopeless. I know it was his 1st match but he was so hopeless

• 4 t00ntime // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:27 AM

@itoon
    ruiz was played as a shadow striker ( like ben arfa will be )
    but his best postion is full on striker… and as soon as jol puts him there the goals will come!

and jol knows that but he palys him out of postion to get used to the EPL… just wait and we will be sorry :(

hopefully pardew finally notices that we shud start with best ( and ba if 442 ) and not shola!! only prob is i think shola has recorverd… which means our 2 strikers will be shola and mcloven

• 5 GeordieToon89 // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Best is turning out to be a real good player for us, he wins loads in the air and good with his feet plus he’s quick and a neat finisher.. wish he would shoot more though like if he’s got a chance just have a shot

• 6 GeordieToon89 // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Ruiz isnt an out and out striker he said so himself he said he’s a number 10 type player who scores the goals of a striker(once).. no out and out striker is better on the wing, look at Kuyt he was immense in holland 10x player Ruiz is but hes a RM now lol his goal record isnt even that good its like 1 in 3 or 4

• 7 t00ntime // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Ur right that he used to play on the wing… But for twent they used him as a striker 90% of the time and his record was 1 in 2 then. So he is a RM/RAM/ST so fulham still played hit out of postion. Also agree about kuyt… He is a great striker/cm but average winger

• 8 G // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I had to defend Best a lot when we were in the fizzy pop division, as he did everything asked of him apart from score a goal, but my god he looked good. I still wasn’t sure then that I was seeing a Prem striker, but his record now speaks for itself. I think between him and Ba (now that Ramadam is over) should keep us in good stead until January. If by then we find we are still wanting, then let the search for a striker commence, but in the meantime, I am quite happy with our forward line.

• 9 aussietoonfan // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:53 AM

hey guys,
    just a wee bit off topic, can everyone help me (2nd season heavy supporter and new to the Toon) understand nicknames given out about other clubs and players. For instance I understand Man United are called Manure and Liverpoo and Liverfool, not to mention Scumderland, (I also think I know who Judas is:) but are there any I’m currently missing?

And hey, it might give us a chance to slate someone other than NUFC and each other for a change:)

• 10 ross armstrong // Sep 12, 2011 at 12:55 AM

bring in the goals 2mora night best!!

plzd we didnt land ruiz , hes a little c ock after saying hes plzd he snubbed the toon!! he knows nowt about us !! all he knows is he looks like a pixxy and hes at a wick club with a terrible stadium!!!

thats my moan of the day !! night night lol

• 11 i Toon // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:05 AM

@t00ntime Ruiz wanted so much time on the ball bottom line he was crap from what i saw he will be shipped out in the next window if he keeps it up LOL

• 12 MadAboutToon // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM

i’m still one of best doubter, but i’m always open for that to change. it’s been a long depressing two weeks and not playing till monday really put the icing on the cake. i’m really looking forwad to the match now, and hopefully we’ll show barton what he’s missing and get a big win.

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

• 13 i Toon // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM

back on topic if best stay fit i think he can do the job in front of goal that 2nd goal against fulham was top notch

• 14 deyansabourian // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM

what channel is the game on tomorrow in america?

• 15 MadAboutToon // Sep 12, 2011 at 1:53 AM

i toon, the thing about best, i do think he’d be fit to score them poaching goals against the big teams to, if he got good service. the thing i don’t like about him is he’s very clumsy and his overall play not great, but lets hope he scores a few tomorrow.

• 16 technonasty // Sep 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM

the second goal against fulham was great. good pacey counter attacking with ba doing well to press and win the ball, obertan did well to run and find ba again, ba put it in the danger zone and best did fantastic to get the right side of defender, control the ball with one touch and neatly tuck it away. I don’t necessarily agree that best is clumsy. a lot of his service so far has been 50/50 balls pinged in around head height and he wins more than his share. definitely think we should hold onto him for the squad.

• 17 MadAboutToon // Sep 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM

technonasty, ok he’s a good finisher in the box, but when on the move with the ball he’s very clumsy, and he’s got 2 left feet.

• 18 technonasty // Sep 12, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Madabouttoon, yeah he’s not the best running with the ball but how many players do you get that have it all? I don’t see that as his role in the team. He has pace and can finish so it’s up to our midfield to create snap chances in the box for him to put away. He has pace to push teams back and is very good at winning high balls which takes pressure off our team. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he is a world beater but think he is more than decent. Roughly 1 goal every 2 games. It’s just my opinion but if you objectively put his performances up against some of the other premier league strikers I think he holds his own.

• 19 carrollsinger // Sep 12, 2011 at 5:43 AM

I toon even the commentators said thats he’s been quite all game thaw just a nicer way of saying he’s crap haha

• 20 Daft_lad // Sep 12, 2011 at 6:28 AM

I personally think that Leon Best is a very limited player….he’s just the best of a bad bunch so we pin our hopes on him til January….he does however; seem to have a knack of managing to get the ball in the back of the net which is what you want from your striker….if he can do this consistently rather than a run of just 13/14 games then maybe he can make it in the EPL….here’s hoping HWTL

• 21 bills-son // Sep 12, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Honestly some of you lot on here …

Shola scores 1 in 5 and you slag him off, Best scores better than 1 in 2 and you slag him off as well.

What the fcuk do want – 1 in 1 combined with the dribbling skills of Ronaldo and the passing of Messi?

• 22 geoff777 // Sep 12, 2011 at 7:46 AM

@t00ntime #1 Good post.

Ba could be quality.
    Best has his chance … lets wait and see.

Unfortunately Llambias’s failure to sign a quality striker means there isn’t a real alternative.

• 23 redondo77 // Sep 12, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Best and Sammy seems to be good partnership, let Ba settle first.
    Both Best and Sammy has been scoring goals more than AC, Torres, Drogba, etc.

• 24 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM

I hope Leon Best prove all his doubters wrong and bangs in the goals. He’s definately a premier league quality striker at the minimum.

I got a feeling he’s going to score for us today.

• 25 liam85 // Sep 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I hope he does score for us today!

• 26 Brutooon // Sep 12, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Best is definitely our best striker now

Demba Ba if he can recapture his goal scoring form then he and Best would be good for us

Ameobi – good backup

Lovenkrands – good backup

• 27 Klatoon // Sep 12, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Mario Gomez is one of th clumsiest German players but no 1 complains because he hits the net,regularly.Same with Best. Btw Ruiz is just a poor-man’s Edison Cavani.

• 28 redondo77 // Sep 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I think Ruiz is overrated.
    Freiburg (Cisse) just got hammered by Bayern 7-0, Gomez scored 4 goals

• 29 Stuart // Sep 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Cant believe I’m going to miss the match tonight. It’ll be the first one I havent seen since we were in the championship I think.

With any luck I’ll find a way to watch it at work.

3-1 newcastle – 2 for Best, 1 for Cabaye

• 30 Davies // Sep 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Come on the toon. 3-0 – all Best.

Ha! Would be nice, but we have a tendency to cock these things up.

Even 1-0 woould be amazing and see us in the top 4.

• 31 magpiebop // Sep 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Mags to win 4-0 Best, STaylor, Cabaye, SAMeobi.

HAWAY THE LADS

• 32 Munster Mag // Sep 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Dood point Bill-son. I like Best’s attitude aswell. He’s a very humble guy and thats unusual in todays prem league.

previous post: Newcastle Striker Nile Ranger Arrested