The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Match Of Two Unbeaten Sides At Villa Park

10:26 am, Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 91 Comments

Aston Villa have six points from their first four leage games, with one win and three draws.

Charles N’Zogbia in action against Wolves

And they won their Carling Cup tie 2-0 at home to Hereford.

Wasn’t that the side that beat a famous club that plays in black and white stripes by 2-1 after extra time, in the FA Cup 3rd round replay  back in early 1972?

I still remember if as though it was yesterday – ouch – my arm just started to hurt again.

So in their five games so far this season Aston Villa have two wins and three draws,  with Newcastle having three wins and two draws.

There’s little doubt that it will be a tough game for the Magpies on Saturday,  and of course Villa do have some decent strikers like Darren Bent and there’s also former Newcastle winger Charles N’Zogbia, who’s now moved from Wigan to Villa.

Even though Charles was an initial target in the summer of  the Magpies, it turns out that Newcastle couldn’t afford him.

Although it’s more accurate to say the Board wouldn’t pay the transfer fee for him – but that was also true of so many other players Newcastle pursued in the summer.

It could be that Danny Simpson will be marking Charles on Saturday, and last season of course N’Zogbia scored two first half goals, and played very well indeed, but Newcastle were able to fight back to get the 2-2 draw in the second half.

This is what Danny Simpson said about the French International today:

“It’ll be interesting,” “I played against him in the Wigan away game last season, he’s one of those players where you can’t afford to switch off for a second.”

“I wasn’t here when he was at Newcastle, but I know what he’s all about. You’ve got to look forward to playing against good players. Hopefully, we can build on this match, go into that game and keep another clean sheet.”

Charles will want to impress against his former team, so we’ll have to hope he’s not in his top form, which is awesome.

But Newcastle will have to watch out for some of the other attacking players Aston Villa have, as our lads try to keep their 4th clean sheet of the campaign.

Tags: Danny Simpson · Newcastle News

91 responses so far ↓

• 1 geoff777 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

A Tiote tackle in the first five minutes and Zog will be quiet.

I think Pardew has learnt that 442 isn’t working against 451/433 certainly away from home.

I hope he starts Ba or Best too.

HWTL

• 2 WWJBD // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I don’t see anything good coming out of this match I think Villa have to much in attack for us to cope with

• 3 ballerfan2 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

WWJBD @ 2.

Keep the faith man. It will be tough but you never know.

• 4 geoff777 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

@WWJBD

If our midfield can cut off their supply we’ll be okay.
    I saw signs in the second half against QPR that Tiote is getting back to form, he broke down lots of their attacks, but our forwards weren’t available to take off the pressure.

Every game and every training session must make us better with so many new players.

HWTL

0-1 Toon

• 5 nimo // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I hate to b a downer as i feel villa at home should be a winnable game but the only thjng im feeling positive about is the fact i kept bent jn my dream team.. just praying we pick it up cos gabby abby been on form n if raylor plays left back we are in trouble

• 6 JackButler // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Perhaps we can start to play some football in this game

• 7 Stuart // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Bah, whinging lot haha!

So what if this is probably the toughest game so far this season.

Remember what happened last season? We hammered them 6-0!

We got results in most of the games we were expected to lose last season, don’t see why it should be any different this season.

2-1 to the toon.

HWTL!

• 8 WWJBD // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I am still hopeful of a victory (always am) however taking the black and white shades off I just don’t see how, going off our performances so far, we can hold off the likes of Bent Zoggy and Gabby unless there is a fair bit of change to our starting 11 which I doubt Pardew will do

• 9 geoff777 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

@nimo

I think Santon will start.
    He’s had a run out for the reserves.
    Plus a few training sessions to work with the defence.
    It’ll be good to have a genuine full-back in the line-up, despite Raylor’s valiant efforts he is a midfielder.

• 10 JackButler // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Be interesting to see if Pardew starts with Santon as Raylor was tortured by SWP on Monday, also if Strolla starts Pardew needs to be slapped as he was beyond shyte

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I was at the villa game last year and we were woeful,need to see an improvement this time round,I think this weekend end will be the first real test on how far we claim to have moved forward if we have at all.

• 12 Ollieh51 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Think we could get a draw if we are on top form and keep a clean sheet.

If we concede in this game first, we’ll face a MASSIVE uphill task to get back in to it.

They have pace to burn up top and also on the bench too so it’s going to be a really hard afternoon for the wingers and full backs.

Would love a 0-0 as I think on form we can match them, but think we may get a bit unlucky and suffer a 0-1.

• 13 wynsleap // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Agree Geoff @ 4
    The last ten minutes and Tiote was going into tackles winning them and moving forward as if he had just woken up for the season.
    This guy is so important to our team when he is firing.
    Also think we should find a place for Marveaux and Santon should come on for Raylor after half time and then stay there for the season. Leaving him on the bench will do nothing for his confidence.
    Also 5 across the midfield with Best up front but please .. no Shola!

• 14 roshan MAGPIE // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

i think we should play a 5 man mid field with Gosling Tiote and cabaye play has central mid and mavreux and guthierez on wings and best has our lone forward by playing 5 man mid field we can stop there creativity in mid field and they wont have much chances to score and we can increase our creativity and i think we should play santon in left back

• 15 Ollieh51 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

@ Jail For Ashley.

100% Agree.

Was there too and it was a very stale game. We really need to show some more penetration away from hom and I think Santon will allow for that on the left.

Fingers always crossed!

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

He has to play Shola he’s the only one not on an appearance bonus.

• 17 Ollieh51 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Also, I don’t think Marveaux should start this one…

We’ll need some legs later on in the game and I think he could be another ‘game changing’ sub we bring on with 30 mins to go as opposed to dropping him in it from the off.

Gosling and Tioté holding in the centre with Gosling just off’ve Best?

• 18 boing123 // Sep 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Put Guti on the right to help Simmo against Zoggy.

Then Marv and Santon on the left to deal with Gabby.

Need an extra man and extra creativity in midfield, so drop Strolla and put Obertoon in the hole where Arfa will play when he returns.

This could be a recipe for a 0-1 result!

• 19 Ollieh51 // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Sorry, meant Cabaye and Tioté holding.

He and Gosling can mix it up.

• 20 sirtoongospel // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Agree with the 4-5-1 100%, but I can’t see a place for obertan. He has been pretty poor. Would rather play Jonas on the right, either marveaux or sammy on the left. Or even ferguson. Stick Gosling in as the extra midfield player. And everyone wants to see Santon play.

• 21 colwell // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

We can get a result out of this, we just cant afford to give Bent no where near as many chances as Bothroyd had.

4-5-1 is a must as this is what Villa have been playing. Ba maybe should start as he has been alot more impressive in his last 2 appearances, starting to see the real Ba.

I`d also put Marv and Santon in Raylor has done well with his free kicks but thats it, other then that he has been ripped every game even more so than Simmo.

2-0 Toon

• 22 TOONROSE // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Jeez, there is so much negativity on here all the time. The team is still gelling together. Simmo makes a good point about the defense partnerships still growing and understanding each others movement and actions etc. and those guys have been playing together for sometime, so it may take even longer for the new midfielders and attackers to do the same. Nolan and Barton et al didn’t all fit in straight away, I remember them being fairly average at first. If we can manage to keep coming away with a point (or three) whilst our team is finding it’s feet and coming together then I am sure that will set us up with some great momentum to go on and perform even better once the team has really become a unit.

Yes there is always room for improvement, and from what I’ve seen, there is plenty of room in our case, yet we are getting results and I think the best is yet to come. I for one certainly think we are moving in the right direction, maybe not at the pace of Man Citeh, but at a steady pace.

I found the following to be a good positive article yesterday:

Enjoy and get behind the lads, HWTL!

• 23 Indian Magpie // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

This time last year we played everton and beat them comfortably. TOTE and HBA starting for the first time.

May be santon and Marveaux. this time.

Talking of everton we should also do a protest against PARDEW, because he keeps playing AMEOBI, whose biggest strength is he is opposition’s best player.

• 24 Stuart // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Well said TOONROSE lad!

• 25 sirtoongospel // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Don’t know about negative vibes but I am pi55ed off at hearing about how lucky we were on Monday. The save of the game was from Kenny. And we were denied at least one blatant pen. The longer the game went on the better we got. I was at the game and had a canny drink but I thought we were the better side in the second half. If Pards goes with 4-5-1 on Saturday then we will get a result. Again, i would take a point. Win your home games and do what you can away. Makes for a good season. Taking my son to his first away game on Saturday. Hope it a memorable one.

• 26 colwell // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Obertan should definitely start he has been 1 of our better performers, watching him closely he tracks back alot more now and has an awesome first touch pass. Once we get playing well his confidence will come out and we`ll have some player.

Marv looks to be a cracking little player too, would love to see him get a start, plays simple passes brilliant touch,pace anyone see that chip over the QPR defender the other day?loved that.

The team we have now is very exciting can`t wait for Pards to sort the tactics out and get us playing like we should. We also have Ben Arfa lol

• 27 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Roshan your midfield is the one I would go for like……

Unfortunately, as we ALL know, he will do 4-4-2 and Shola will start!!! I swear this guy has some dirt on someone at the club!!

I also agree that the team is just gelling….. There is a large split of people on here, one set (myself included) are happy at the start regardless of the way we have played.

the other, feel that we have played terribly and we are going to get tanked….. My friend has said this about every game after the arsenal game…… It hasnt happened yet…..

We have been lucky to an extent, but also unlucky, penalties not given, hanballs off the line, good saves by opponents….. Yeah Mondays game seemed poor but we did grind out a result, thats the main thing I care about, the score at the end of the game.

I think the match V Villa could be very very difficult but we have to gel eventually, tiote and cabaye are not gonna be poor/ invisible every game. I still reckon Tiote should be kept off for a game or two…. eventually tho……

Ever the optimist, howay angry, do ur worst

:-D

• 28 surreytoon // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Krull
    Simmo-Tayls-Colo-Santon
    Tiote-Cabaye
    Obertan-Marv-Guti
    Best

Alternatives or subs:

Sammy for Obertan
    Gosling for Mav
    Ba for Best

• 29 liam85 // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I must say Shola has had his time. We shouldn’t have him as a starter. His brother Sammy made better impact. I would try Sammy and Best. I don’t think Best is amazing but he does try hard and he can get goals in.

Oh Why did we sign Shola again :S lol

• 30 AshtreeKid // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Krul
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Santon
    Rarylor-Tiote-Obertan-Cabaye-Jonas
    Best

• 31 colwell // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

@Surreytoon

Thats the team I`d love to see play, maybe starting Ba as he looks alot better and 10mins isn`t enough.

• 32 thai-mag // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

my mate out here is villa supporter, he’s seen all there games and he says they are not very good been very lucky with results, I think we have great chance to win if pardew changes a couple of things up front and midfield, not woth repeating those things, most peole on here know what they are

• 33 Indian Magpie // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Shola AMEOBI will make HBA look ordinary

:-)

• 34 Slank Loogan // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Villa’s weakness is their midfield. Their strength is their two strikers, wingers especially Zoggy and of course their keeper Given.

We should play 4-2-3-1 to control the game and dominate the midfield cutting off the supply to Zoggy and their forwards. I’m confident that Colo and Saylor can cope with their strikers. Our two wingers should double up with our full backs to deny space and opportunity to their wingers. The team I would play is:

Krul
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Santon
    Tiote-Cabaye
    Raylor- Gosling-Jonas
    Best

• 35 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

So…. people would still play Tiote?

Im not sure after the start he has had, I’d play marveuax or Gosling. I know neither are direct replacements at CDM, but Cabaye tends to be more defensive and it would be nice to see a more attacking style…..

• 36 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Folks
    I would just like us to LOOK LIKE we are going to score!

The lack of goals and creativeity at the moment us putting too much pressure on our hard grafting defenders.

• 37 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Lot of people giving tiotie stick on here still, how fickle are you lot?

Tiotie was better than previous games on Monday night I think. Remeber, he missed a huge chunk of pre season due to the incompetent club frigging up his visa’s etc.

He is showing signs of getting back, for every ball he give away Monday he won a tackle or passed to a team player 3 times more!!

Give the lad a break (Mmmm probably not a good choice of words) he is getting back up to speed with things!!

Not many giving the anonymous Cabaye any stick like!

• 38 drongo // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

@angry
    Hopefully that is sorted by putting the extra CM in, giving Cabbie room to pass… Him and Tiote on their own they end up getting pressed right back onto our back 4.
    Tiote Cabbie and Ober as a middle 3 for me, ober getting up to support besty as a lone striker.
    Wings Marveaux and Jonas, both to me look like they will work hard, protect their fullbacks and keep the villa fullbacks from joining in their attack.

• 39 NUFC_Richyg01 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

___________Krul
    Simmo__Saylor_Collo_Santon
    _________Tiote_Cabaye
    Raylor_____Gosling____Jonas
    ____________Best

Thats my starting lineup!

• 40 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I disagree angry,

Tiote was the worst Ive seen him all season on Monday IMO. Cabaye disappeared second half I agree but thats probs coz he was knackered doing two mens jobs. Cabaye has been top notch every game apart from monday…..

Fickle is the wrong word to use bud….. I suggest keeping him off for one or two games coz he doesnt appear to be getting any better, maybe the incentive to play will make him perform better…. much like when ben arfa came in and gutierrez was on the bench….. remember? it was as if someone had shoved a rocket… well … you know where.

• 41 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Drongo

Tiotie Cabaye and Gosling
    But the rest I cant argue with!!

I think Oberton showed the other night why SAF sold him to another Premier league team!!

• 42 NUFC_Richyg01 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

@22

Brilliant post that mate!

• 43 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Burni
    Sometimes you dont get what is ACTUALLY happening in a game unles you are ACTUALLY there.

IMHO Tiotie didnt have the greatest of games, but to say its the worst he has been all season is harsh to say the least.

I think he is improving game by game as his fitness is coming back, and predict he will soon be back to his crunching and kicking best!

• 44 NUFC_Richyg01 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Anyone seen this in the Sun today…

The FA have been urged to investigate Joey Barton’s ‘free’ transfer to QPR amid claims up to £2.5million was paid out in fees.

• 45 NUFC_Richyg01 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Sun Article link:

• 46 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Angry, normally you would be the person condemning someones actions, I tend not to…. in this instance, I really think he was extremely poor, he gave the ball away more times than anyone else on the field….. you must have seen this…….

I agree I think he will come back to his usual self but he needs a few games off so he can realise hes not an sutomatic starter.

• 47 boater // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Anyone who can be positive about one defender on the bench 4 games into a new season (who’s yet to kick a ball for us) is funking delusional, nevermind positive.

• 48 Ollieh51 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Lads,

I was at the game and Tioté did give the ball away a few times, but only because there was never an option for him to hit as he was always clsoed down.

Cabaye appeared to go missing too but then again, it goes back to the 4 – 4 – 2 that we were playing and them being able to pass around us so easily.

Last 10 mins, Tioté looked back to his best as he was smashing people all over the park and winning the ball, and Cabaye still at times managed to pick a decent pass.

He and Cabaye were chasing shadows for 80 mins and must have been dog tired afterwards.

Villa is the best test of where we are as both teams are in similar form.

• 49 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Burni
    Never ever slag the players off.
    I say if i feel they arent good enough, but NEVER slag them off, after all it achieves absolutley zilch!!

• 50 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Ollie,

I guess, as angry says, if ur at the match you get a different opinion. However, if you see it back, you will se there were a large number of times when he could have passed to someone but he was either dancing with the ball or he just passed it poorly…..

Dont get me wrong Im not getting mad or annoyed and I still love the guy, we all know he is a very good footballer but a few games off would do him the world of good..

give that guy a game…… whats his name?….. smith!!

JUST KIDDING!!!

• 51 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Resting any player whom we have no viable replacement for in his position when he is fighting to gain match fitness would be counter productive I reckon like!

• 52 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

sorry but we should be beating teams like villa even away from home, they not the best footballing side and dont like a tackle plus they dont have any actuall strikers they more wingers than strikers, thaz 2 maybe 3 players tht a would have at newcastle. Albrighton and Zogbia and Delfouneso the rest are average.. they best and only actuall striker is Heskey and hes injured

• 53 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Burni
    for me, there were three or 4 players out there who i would rest long before tiotie:

Shola
    Oberton
    Gutti
    Cabaye

These players are supposed to be our creating force? What exactkly did they create, and sure that is not the blame of Tiotie giving the ball away on three occasions, which effectively is the amount he did actually give the ball away.

• 54 southafrican magpie // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I hear people talking about that the team is still gelling but look at QPR monday night they had 5 new players starting and they killed us.. Pardew had plenty time to find out our teams weaknesses n strengths.. Shola shouldn’t be starting Raylor should be replaces by santon and his got cabye hanging to far back toite should sit back and cabye pushing forward..

• 55 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

play a different formation.

Cabaye is more defensive

why not

gosling cabaye
    Ober Gutierrez Marveuax

?

• 56 Barras // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM

@Angryman

Definitely got to agree with Burni with this one. Tiote looks like he’s getting worse game by game not the other way around. He looks nervous when he is on the ball, either lingering with the ball for too long, or playing hot potato. Of course he should carry on getting in the starting XI for a couple more games, but if this form continues, Gosling has to come in.

• 57 joppadoni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Burni, its not that he gave the ball away so many times it is the manner he gave it away

angry you dont have to be there to geet it better… with benfit of replays and rewind tv i see more from sky than you did in the crowd

tiote was shocking.. he was decent last year but ive never said he was amazing. love his passion though and im sure he will have another ‘good’ season this year

• 58 joppadoni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:38 PM

hot potato.. lol. that fits well barras

• 59 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM

—————Krul
    Simo–Saylor–Colo–Santon
    ——-Tiote—Cabaye——–
    Obertan—Marveaux—Jonas
    ———–Best/Ba————

Playing Marveaux in the hole beind the strikers will work well as hes got a great eye for a pass and he’s very quick and tricky so he can pass and move around quicker plus all the knock downs from Ba or Best he can smash in with his cracking left foot, Also notice ive got Jonas on the left it will give Santon abit more support in his debut and also with Santon being very attack minded like Jose then Jonas and him will be able to forge a great partnership..
    if wer winning and wanting to hold onto it then i suggest Gosling for Marveaux in the 2nd half which will give our midfield a good grip of the game with 3 battlers in the centre with the pacey and creative wingers

• 60 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Geordie toon
    Totally agree. On paper, Villa is a game we can win.
    They have one advantage though, a Centre forward who can knock them in for fun if served. Sadly we dont know if we have that capacity!

League Goals so far?
    Ryan Taylor
    Best

Ryan Taylor is our joint top scorer!
    And he probably wont get a game against Villa!

• 61 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Angry I agree that Guti and Shola need to be off but Cabaye and Obertan were the only two players who could string a pass together…. aye second half the whole team was poor but first half……

You will also find that he gave the ball away more…. or passed to someone who he should not have passed to as they were under pressure already..

I think we should agree to disagree on this angry, coz just in this instance I reckon he needs to be taken off for a few, you obviously dont. fair do’s

• 62 joppadoni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM

after seeing Ba play the more holding role i cant see shola getting back in to the starting line up. well i hope.

cabaye is an all over midfielder i dont think he is tending to defensive at all he just has a very high work ethic. id prefer him to be second DCM when we dont have the ball and ACM when we do. which is how it should be. we shouldnt play 442… we should play 541 without the ball and 433 with it

• 63 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Barras
    Gosling is an attacking Midfielder!
    Playing with fire playing a CM who likes to get forward, when his purpose is to actually protect his defence!

• 64 joppadoni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Obertan played well on Monday, he also helped cover defensively on his wing

• 65 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM

people saying QPR killed us they didnt it was only SWP and Taraabt tht actually caused us any trouble thts simply because SWP is class and so quick and was up against our weak link.. and we gave Taraabt too much space in he midfield if we had played 4-5-1 we would have won that game because the extra midfielder would of covered Taraabt and we could of got on with our game

• 66 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Joppa @62

we ALL hope

• 67 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Burni agreed.
    I am just curious to who you would play in that postion who is as good as if not better in ‘that’ position, because even at half his capacity, tiotie ias a better player than Alan Smith!

• 68 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Angryman – who’s Villas forwards mate because the only ones a can think of aint actually out and out strikers and never really score? so a must be missing someone lmao
    Gabby, Delfouneso, Heskey

• 69 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Oberton was terrible in my opinion, and to be fair the majority of NUFC fans around me on Monday night.
    The guy cant tackle, wont track back has a funny shaped head that causes his headers to rival jonny wilkinsons kicks ;-)

• 70 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Angry,

I wouldnt necessarily have a CDM

you mentioned that gosling is a CAM, he himself has advised that he is a utility player and will play wherever. see my formation @ 55. Thats who/how I would play.

I have to agree about smithy tho….

• 71 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM

aye GT89 … you are…. d bent

• 72 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Angry…. every silly long ball Krul punted up field was either missed by shola, or headed on on the majority of occasios to a toon player by Obertan….. He has got a funny shaped head…… Like a toe…. Toebertan

• 73 Barras // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

@joppadoni

Haha, why thank you.

@angryfan

Hmm Gosling an attacking midfielder? I’m not to sure with that tbh, im not saying he isn’t but he’s not exactly a Hatem Ben Arfa, or even a Steven Gerrard type of player, and i’m not using those two examples to compare quality I’m using them to compare style. So yes I think I would still put Gosling in instead of Tiote if he carries on with this poor form after two-three more games.

• 74 beefman13 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Am over the moon with the start to the season,tough game against villa but let us feed the front men more, especially from the wings, the strikers are looking for all sorts of scraps at the moment, we all know jonas dosnt get enough crosses in its up to oberta or marveux if he plays to get some decent stuff in the box, leon and dembea are excellant in the air, time to give shola a squad place and use as a sub, hes had his chance for 10 years and nothing changes, we need more stuff getting in the 18 yard area, jonas for me is getting like shola drives you mad most of the time.

• 75 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Teamfor Villa

Krul
    Simpson
    Taylor S
    Collo
    Santon
    Tiotie
    Cabaye
    Guti
    Marveux
    Best
    Ba

4-3-1-2

Guti must work in this formation. Marveaux behind the front 2.

Keep them pinned in their own half and force the wingers into a midfield battle!

• 76 JUGGALO TOON ™ // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I think Ba should get a start, when he came on against QPR he must of won at least 90% of his arial battles and he is 10x more agile than Shola.

• 77 nimo // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I worry ppl r gpmna start knocking obertan .. hes a confidence player n if the team were playimg well goimg forward he may b a class signing reason sir alx sold him is they have 2-3 real world class wingers

• 78 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Burni – aw bugger yeah lmao dunno how a managed to forget him lmao.. get Tiote or Cabaye to crunch him and Zogbia within the first 15mins and we’l be sorted.. a seen the friendly yday and Santon looked very comfortable when he had the ball he’s not afraid to bomb forward and take on a few players and also he likes cutting inside for a shot

• 79 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Geordietoon89
    Im presuming the villa forward question is tongue in cheek, becausel love him or loathe him, Darren Bent is a ferkin good striker!!!

• 80 Angryman the Angry fan // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

ps GT89
    The frigga seems to like playing against us aswell!!!

• 81 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

wish the Man City match was on ITV tonight instead of Man Utd.. love watching Aguero and David Silva

• 82 GeordieToon89 // Sep 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Angryman – nah mate a totally forgot about Darren Bent when a was saying they dont have any good strikers, but agreed he is a very good striker would love him at us even though he’s played for sland tht wouldnt bother me he would be perfect for the number 9 he scores goals wherever he plays

• 83 Dannyo // Sep 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I’m excited about the Villa game. I think there’ll be a change of tactics for us, we’re at home, and to be fair, Villa should be a team classed the same as us imo. I think they’ll show more quality than the other teams we’ve played, incl Arsenal. We’ll be playing for a win amd based on our previous performances we should only be getting better. I predict a 5 man midfield with Best lone striker.

• 84 drongo // Sep 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM

yep and Collo is a ferkin good CB

• 85 Burni // Sep 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Dannyo, we arent at home…..

• 86 Tom_Toon // Sep 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Angryman yet again chatting shite.

Obertan was one of our better players on monday and Cabaye cannot be blamed for anything. 3 v 2 always ends up 1 way 99% of the time, especially when 1 of the 2 is very of form.

• 87 SincerelySamuel // Sep 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

if the lineup is the same as against QPR we will undoubtedly get turned over
    however with shola dropped in favour of Ba Gosling or Marv we wil have a hell of a lot more bite also surely santon in for Raylor has to happen as Zog will decimate him hes done well for us but we bought a crackin left back because Raylor is NOT a LB
    if these changes are made i think we will win without them im sadly confident our unbaten run will be over and done :(
    IMHO

• 88 SincerelySamuel // Sep 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM

against villa at their spot last season we tried the airial game and collins gave nochange so play it on the floor coz their defence are not that quick across the turf id defo play Obi Tan Kenobi again cozhes a def confidence player and hes gettin closer to believin in himself we cant afford to crush the lad like fergie did

• 89 Willo // Sep 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Krul
    Simmo Saylor Colo Santon
    Gosling Tiote Cabaye
    Raylor Jonas
    Best
    Then Sammy can come one for Raylor to provide the pace late on.

• 90 tino_11 // Sep 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Evening Folks, new here, but wanted to post on here. Ex-toon, based in Switzerland now, don’t get to many games these days, but it’s not a bad place to live.

Anyway, just wanna say that the lack of goals, traditionally a strong point, might just be the making of this team as long as we can stay injury free. Get it so that we are controlling games rather than scrambling to win, or chasing goals, then come January a half decent striker might just make this the beginning a a good team

Cheers
    Tino

• 91 USGeordie // Sep 14, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I find it amazing how everyone is saying how good N’Zogbia is when not too long ago I heard you all saying he was crap. Now all of a sudden he’s awesome and a serious threat. I was saying that we shouldn’t have gotten rid of him when we did. He was showing good form and becoming a threat when everyone wanted him out.

previous post: Pardew Intensive Training Sessions Paying Off