Match Of Two Unbeaten Sides At Villa Park

Aston Villa have six points from their first four leage games, with one win and three draws.

Charles N’Zogbia in action against Wolves

And they won their Carling Cup tie 2-0 at home to Hereford.

Wasn’t that the side that beat a famous club that plays in black and white stripes by 2-1 after extra time, in the FA Cup 3rd round replay  back in early 1972?

I still remember if as though it was yesterday – ouch – my arm just started to hurt again.

So in their five games so far this season Aston Villa have two wins and three draws,  with Newcastle having three wins and two draws.

There’s little doubt that it will be a tough game for the Magpies on Saturday,  and of course Villa do have some decent strikers like Darren Bent and there’s also former Newcastle winger Charles N’Zogbia, who’s now moved from Wigan to Villa.

Even though Charles was an initial target in the summer of  the Magpies, it turns out that Newcastle couldn’t afford him.

Although it’s more accurate to say the Board wouldn’t pay the transfer fee for him – but that was also true of so many other players Newcastle pursued in the summer.

It could be that Danny Simpson will be marking Charles on Saturday, and last season of course N’Zogbia scored two first half goals, and played very well indeed, but Newcastle were able to fight back to get the 2-2 draw in the second half.

This is what Danny Simpson said about the French International today:

“It’ll be interesting,” “I played against him in the Wigan away game last season, he’s one of those players where you can’t afford to switch off for a second.”

“I wasn’t here when he was at Newcastle, but I know what he’s all about. You’ve got to look forward to playing against good players. Hopefully, we can build on this match, go into that game and keep another clean sheet.”

Charles will want to impress against his former team, so we’ll have to hope he’s not in his top form, which is awesome.

But Newcastle will have to watch out for some of the other attacking players Aston Villa have, as our lads try to keep their 4th clean sheet of the campaign.

• geoff777

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

A Tiote tackle in the first five minutes and Zog will be quiet.

I think Pardew has learnt that 442 isn’t working against 451/433 certainly away from home.

I hope he starts Ba or Best too.

HWTL

• WWJBD

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I don’t see anything good coming out of this match I think Villa have to much in attack for us to cope with

• ballerfan2

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM

WWJBD @ 2.

Keep the faith man. It will be tough but you never know.

• geoff777

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

@WWJBD

If our midfield can cut off their supply we’ll be okay.
    I saw signs in the second half against QPR that Tiote is getting back to form, he broke down lots of their attacks, but our forwards weren’t available to take off the pressure.

Every game and every training session must make us better with so many new players.

HWTL

0-1 Toon

• nimo

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I hate to b a downer as i feel villa at home should be a winnable game but the only thjng im feeling positive about is the fact i kept bent jn my dream team.. just praying we pick it up cos gabby abby been on form n if raylor plays left back we are in trouble

• JackButler

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Perhaps we can start to play some football in this game

• Stuart

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Bah, whinging lot haha!

So what if this is probably the toughest game so far this season.

Remember what happened last season? We hammered them 6-0!

We got results in most of the games we were expected to lose last season, don’t see why it should be any different this season.

2-1 to the toon.

HWTL!

• WWJBD

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I am still hopeful of a victory (always am) however taking the black and white shades off I just don’t see how, going off our performances so far, we can hold off the likes of Bent Zoggy and Gabby unless there is a fair bit of change to our starting 11 which I doubt Pardew will do

• geoff777

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

@nimo

I think Santon will start.
    He’s had a run out for the reserves.
    Plus a few training sessions to work with the defence.
    It’ll be good to have a genuine full-back in the line-up, despite Raylor’s valiant efforts he is a midfielder.

• JackButler

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Be interesting to see if Pardew starts with Santon as Raylor was tortured by SWP on Monday, also if Strolla starts Pardew needs to be slapped as he was beyond shyte

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I was at the villa game last year and we were woeful,need to see an improvement this time round,I think this weekend end will be the first real test on how far we claim to have moved forward if we have at all.

• Ollieh51

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Think we could get a draw if we are on top form and keep a clean sheet.

If we concede in this game first, we’ll face a MASSIVE uphill task to get back in to it.

They have pace to burn up top and also on the bench too so it’s going to be a really hard afternoon for the wingers and full backs.

Would love a 0-0 as I think on form we can match them, but think we may get a bit unlucky and suffer a 0-1.

• wynsleap

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Agree Geoff @ 4
    The last ten minutes and Tiote was going into tackles winning them and moving forward as if he had just woken up for the season.
    This guy is so important to our team when he is firing.
    Also think we should find a place for Marveaux and Santon should come on for Raylor after half time and then stay there for the season. Leaving him on the bench will do nothing for his confidence.
    Also 5 across the midfield with Best up front but please .. no Shola!

• roshan MAGPIE

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

i think we should play a 5 man mid field with Gosling Tiote and cabaye play has central mid and mavreux and guthierez on wings and best has our lone forward by playing 5 man mid field we can stop there creativity in mid field and they wont have much chances to score and we can increase our creativity and i think we should play santon in left back

• Ollieh51

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

@ Jail For Ashley.

100% Agree.

Was there too and it was a very stale game. We really need to show some more penetration away from hom and I think Santon will allow for that on the left.

Fingers always crossed!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

He has to play Shola he’s the only one not on an appearance bonus.

• Ollieh51

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Also, I don’t think Marveaux should start this one…

We’ll need some legs later on in the game and I think he could be another ‘game changing’ sub we bring on with 30 mins to go as opposed to dropping him in it from the off.

Gosling and Tioté holding in the centre with Gosling just off’ve Best?

• boing123

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Put Guti on the right to help Simmo against Zoggy.

Then Marv and Santon on the left to deal with Gabby.

Need an extra man and extra creativity in midfield, so drop Strolla and put Obertoon in the hole where Arfa will play when he returns.

This could be a recipe for a 0-1 result!

• Ollieh51

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Sorry, meant Cabaye and Tioté holding.

He and Gosling can mix it up.

• sirtoongospel

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Agree with the 4-5-1 100%, but I can’t see a place for obertan. He has been pretty poor. Would rather play Jonas on the right, either marveaux or sammy on the left. Or even ferguson. Stick Gosling in as the extra midfield player. And everyone wants to see Santon play.

• colwell

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

We can get a result out of this, we just cant afford to give Bent no where near as many chances as Bothroyd had.

4-5-1 is a must as this is what Villa have been playing. Ba maybe should start as he has been alot more impressive in his last 2 appearances, starting to see the real Ba.

I`d also put Marv and Santon in Raylor has done well with his free kicks but thats it, other then that he has been ripped every game even more so than Simmo.

2-0 Toon

• TOONROSE

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Jeez, there is so much negativity on here all the time. The team is still gelling together. Simmo makes a good point about the defense partnerships still growing and understanding each others movement and actions etc. and those guys have been playing together for sometime, so it may take even longer for the new midfielders and attackers to do the same. Nolan and Barton et al didn’t all fit in straight away, I remember them being fairly average at first. If we can manage to keep coming away with a point (or three) whilst our team is finding it’s feet and coming together then I am sure that will set us up with some great momentum to go on and perform even better once the team has really become a unit.

Yes there is always room for improvement, and from what I’ve seen, there is plenty of room in our case, yet we are getting results and I think the best is yet to come. I for one certainly think we are moving in the right direction, maybe not at the pace of Man Citeh, but at a steady pace.

I found the following to be a good positive article yesterday:

Enjoy and get behind the lads, HWTL!

• Indian Magpie

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

This time last year we played everton and beat them comfortably. TOTE and HBA starting for the first time.

May be santon and Marveaux. this time.

Talking of everton we should also do a protest against PARDEW, because he keeps playing AMEOBI, whose biggest strength is he is opposition’s best player.

• Stuart

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Well said TOONROSE lad!

• sirtoongospel

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Don’t know about negative vibes but I am pi55ed off at hearing about how lucky we were on Monday. The save of the game was from Kenny. And we were denied at least one blatant pen. The longer the game went on the better we got. I was at the game and had a canny drink but I thought we were the better side in the second half. If Pards goes with 4-5-1 on Saturday then we will get a result. Again, i would take a point. Win your home games and do what you can away. Makes for a good season. Taking my son to his first away game on Saturday. Hope it a memorable one.

• colwell

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Obertan should definitely start he has been 1 of our better performers, watching him closely he tracks back alot more now and has an awesome first touch pass. Once we get playing well his confidence will come out and we`ll have some player.

Marv looks to be a cracking little player too, would love to see him get a start, plays simple passes brilliant touch,pace anyone see that chip over the QPR defender the other day?loved that.

The team we have now is very exciting can`t wait for Pards to sort the tactics out and get us playing like we should. We also have Ben Arfa lol

• Burni

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Roshan your midfield is the one I would go for like……

Unfortunately, as we ALL know, he will do 4-4-2 and Shola will start!!! I swear this guy has some dirt on someone at the club!!

I also agree that the team is just gelling….. There is a large split of people on here, one set (myself included) are happy at the start regardless of the way we have played.

the other, feel that we have played terribly and we are going to get tanked….. My friend has said this about every game after the arsenal game…… It hasnt happened yet…..

We have been lucky to an extent, but also unlucky, penalties not given, hanballs off the line, good saves by opponents….. Yeah Mondays game seemed poor but we did grind out a result, thats the main thing I care about, the score at the end of the game.

I think the match V Villa could be very very difficult but we have to gel eventually, tiote and cabaye are not gonna be poor/ invisible every game. I still reckon Tiote should be kept off for a game or two…. eventually tho……

Ever the optimist, howay angry, do ur worst

😀

• surreytoon

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Krull
    Simmo-Tayls-Colo-Santon
    Tiote-Cabaye
    Obertan-Marv-Guti
    Best

Alternatives or subs:

Sammy for Obertan
    Gosling for Mav
    Ba for Best

• liam85

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I must say Shola has had his time. We shouldn’t have him as a starter. His brother Sammy made better impact. I would try Sammy and Best. I don’t think Best is amazing but he does try hard and he can get goals in.

Oh Why did we sign Shola again :S lol

• AshtreeKid

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Krul
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Santon
    Rarylor-Tiote-Obertan-Cabaye-Jonas
    Best

• colwell

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

@Surreytoon

Thats the team I`d love to see play, maybe starting Ba as he looks alot better and 10mins isn`t enough.

• thai-mag

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:33 AM

my mate out here is villa supporter, he’s seen all there games and he says they are not very good been very lucky with results, I think we have great chance to win if pardew changes a couple of things up front and midfield, not woth repeating those things, most peole on here know what they are

• Indian Magpie

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Shola AMEOBI will make HBA look ordinary

🙂

• Slank Loogan

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Villa’s weakness is their midfield. Their strength is their two strikers, wingers especially Zoggy and of course their keeper Given.

We should play 4-2-3-1 to control the game and dominate the midfield cutting off the supply to Zoggy and their forwards. I’m confident that Colo and Saylor can cope with their strikers. Our two wingers should double up with our full backs to deny space and opportunity to their wingers. The team I would play is:

Krul
    Simmo-Saylor-Colo-Santon
    Tiote-Cabaye
    Raylor- Gosling-Jonas
    Best

• Burni

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM

So…. people would still play Tiote?

Im not sure after the start he has had, I’d play marveuax or Gosling. I know neither are direct replacements at CDM, but Cabaye tends to be more defensive and it would be nice to see a more attacking style…..

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Folks
    I would just like us to LOOK LIKE we are going to score!

The lack of goals and creativeity at the moment us putting too much pressure on our hard grafting defenders.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Lot of people giving tiotie stick on here still, how fickle are you lot?

Tiotie was better than previous games on Monday night I think. Remeber, he missed a huge chunk of pre season due to the incompetent club frigging up his visa’s etc.

He is showing signs of getting back, for every ball he give away Monday he won a tackle or passed to a team player 3 times more!!

Give the lad a break (Mmmm probably not a good choice of words) he is getting back up to speed with things!!

Not many giving the anonymous Cabaye any stick like!

• drongo

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

@angry
    Hopefully that is sorted by putting the extra CM in, giving Cabbie room to pass… Him and Tiote on their own they end up getting pressed right back onto our back 4.
    Tiote Cabbie and Ober as a middle 3 for me, ober getting up to support besty as a lone striker.
    Wings Marveaux and Jonas, both to me look like they will work hard, protect their fullbacks and keep the villa fullbacks from joining in their attack.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM

___________Krul
    Simmo__Saylor_Collo_Santon
    _________Tiote_Cabaye
    Raylor_____Gosling____Jonas
    ____________Best

Thats my starting lineup!

• Burni

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I disagree angry,

Tiote was the worst Ive seen him all season on Monday IMO. Cabaye disappeared second half I agree but thats probs coz he was knackered doing two mens jobs. Cabaye has been top notch every game apart from monday…..

Fickle is the wrong word to use bud….. I suggest keeping him off for one or two games coz he doesnt appear to be getting any better, maybe the incentive to play will make him perform better…. much like when ben arfa came in and gutierrez was on the bench….. remember? it was as if someone had shoved a rocket… well … you know where.